Our Tennis Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» I Just Can't Help Believing!
Guess the top 5 in April and July 2013.... EmptySat Mar 23, 2024 9:00 pm by noleisthebest

» The Bullshit of Rafael Nadal
Guess the top 5 in April and July 2013.... EmptyMon Feb 12, 2024 12:15 am by Daniel2

» Why Trump's 'tough' stance on radical Islam... could lead to more terrorism
Guess the top 5 in April and July 2013.... EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:32 am by Daniel2

» Missing Madeline 10 years on..
Guess the top 5 in April and July 2013.... EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:31 am by Daniel2

» '15 Dubious Weak Era Records'
Guess the top 5 in April and July 2013.... EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:06 am by Daniel2

» AO 2024 - Sinner baby!!
Guess the top 5 in April and July 2013.... EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:05 am by Daniel2

» Paris Masters
Guess the top 5 in April and July 2013.... EmptyMon Nov 06, 2023 9:47 pm by noleisthebest

» Alvarez could bring me back to tennis
Guess the top 5 in April and July 2013.... EmptyWed Sep 20, 2023 10:25 am by raiders_of_the_lost_ark

» IDEMOOOOOOO! ! ! !
Guess the top 5 in April and July 2013.... EmptyMon Sep 11, 2023 9:47 am by noleisthebest

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

Guess the top 5 in April and July 2013....

+4
paulcz
noleisthebest
raiders_of_the_lost_ark
Tenez
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Guess the top 5 in April and July 2013.... Empty Guess the top 5 in April and July 2013....

Post by Tenez Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:56 am

1Djokovic, Novak (SRB)
2Federer, Roger (SUI)
3Murray, Andy (GBR)
4Nadal, Rafael (ESP)
5Ferrer, David (ESP)
6Berdych, Tomas (CZE)
7Del Potro, Juan Martin (ARG)
8Tsonga, Jo-Wilfried (FRA)
9Tipsarevic, Janko (SRB)
10Gasquet, Richard (FRA)
11Almagro, Nicolas (ESP)
12Monaco, Juan (ARG)
13Raonic, Milos (CAN)
14Isner, John (USA)
15Cilic, Marin (CRO)
16Simon, Gilles (FRA)
17Wawrinka, Stanislas (SUI)
18Dolgopolov, Alexandr (UKR)
19Nishikori, Kei (JPN)
20Kohlschreiber, Philipp (GER)
Predicting who are going to win the next 4 slams is tough as winning a slam is often down to a point there and then but ranking usually is quite a good reflection of where the players stand. Here are the current top 20 for information.

How do you see the top 5 in April 2013 (After Miami) and then July 2013 after Wimbledon?

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Guess the top 5 in April and July 2013.... Empty Re: Guess the top 5 in April and July 2013....

Post by Tenez Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:38 am

Here I go

April 2013

Djokovic, Murray, Federer, Ferrer, Delpo

Raonic in the top 10

July 2013

Djokovic, Murray, Delpo, Federer, Raonic

Nadal out of the top 10.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Guess the top 5 in April and July 2013.... Empty Re: Guess the top 5 in April and July 2013....

Post by raiders_of_the_lost_ark Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:28 am

My take:

Till the end of Miami

1. Djokovic. He would retain his #1 by Miami, but I don't think he will hold on to his AO title. His gap to #2 will be very close, but nothing to overtake him. I'm not sure who is it going to be to win the AO2013, could be anyone. But I think its not going to be Djokovic.

2. Federer. But I don't think any ranking may be on his mind. His schedule suggests it. As he once said its fine till its within top-4. Winning slams are his priority now( let me add " in my opinion". I don't exactly know of what personal thoughts he may have )

3. Murray. I don't see him able to move to #2 till that time. He could win Miami, he likes playing there.

4. Nadal* under some conditions. Though he is a complete mystery, still if he returns by AO, he would do enough to retain his #4 spot. But if he doesn't return for AO, I don't think he will return before MC. In that case he may get overtaken by Ferrer who is likely to reach QF at AO.

5. Ferrer

6. Berdych

7. Delpo.

So for me its going to be pretty much the same the way its atm.

Raonic hovering around 10-20. JJ could make some good progress like top-25.

---
After wimbledon I can't predict anything. Its too far and too many tournaments in between to base any prediction on. For now I'll leave it.

raiders_of_the_lost_ark

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:58 am

I don;t think Nadal will win much of next clay season and this is essentially where all his points are plus teh AO final....so I actually see a huge slide from Nadal by end of Wimby.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:23 pm

In the gym at the moment so points wise going off the top of my head.
After Miami

1 Nole
2 Fed
3 Murray
4 Del Potro
5 Nadal

After Wimbledon

1 Nole
2 Fed
3 Del Potro
4 Murray
5 Nadal/Ferrer

I don't know the gap in points right now, esp Delpo's situation, so this is more of a guess based on the form they all left off in O2.

I see JJ in top 10 by USO smiley

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:52 pm

Tenez wrote:
Nadal out of the top 10.

Curious to know what makes you think he'll struggle enough to slip out of top 10?
Having seen the clip from his recent practice, I think his doctors have found a way to give him a new pair of knees and at least an extra 5kg of muscle. And we know what that means when he steps on a tennis court....
The thing that stinks is that Murray and himself can't be in the same half any more, so either Novak or Federer will have to suffer.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by paulcz Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:39 pm

noleisthebest wrote:
Tenez wrote:
Nadal out of the top 10.

Curious to know what makes you think he'll struggle enough to slip out of top 10?
Having seen the clip from his recent practice, I think his doctors have found a way to give him a new pair of knees and at least an extra 5kg of muscle. And we know what that means when he steps on a tennis court....
The thing that stinks is that Murray and himself can't be in the same half any more, so either Novak or Federer will have to suffer.

5 kg is quite something. If Morybundus does not lose it, then Ferru will replace him soon. He needs to get a new medicine for his bug. Nole or Fed will prepare for him something less caloric but spicy in AO. It looks that he did not keep a right therapy against morybundus and did not work hard in vineyard, his pityGuess the top 5 in April and July 2013.... 4006036031

paulcz

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:51 pm

paulcz wrote:

5 kg is quite something. If Morybundus does not lose it, then Ferru will replace him soon. He needs to get a new medicine for his bug. Nole or Fed will prepare for him something less caloric but spicy in AO. It looks that he did not keep a right therapy against morybundus and did not work hard in vineyard, his pityGuess the top 5 in April and July 2013.... 4006036031

I think Morybundus has worked out the era or running is over for him, so he's piled on the muscle in order to pound that poor, poor ball harder than ever. I can almost bet that he will be hitting of ultra hard cross-court forehands in Australia, I think that's his little plan. Murray is going to look like a pussy cat next to Morybndus.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:54 pm

Did not check current ranking points so going by memory:

April:
1 Djokovic
2 Federer
3 Murray
4 Ferrer
5 Nadal

July:
1 Djokovic
2 Murray
3 Federer
4 Nadal
5 Del Potro

I am not expecting anything earth-shattering to happen between now and then. I think Nole and Andy will do well, Roger and Rafa are harder to predict - they could be anywhere from outstanding to mediocre. I am banking on Ferrer being unable to defend all his points - hence Delpo in top 5 by July, but by no means would I be shocked if Ferrer stayed there.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:01 pm

SB,
did you get to see any of Jerzy Janowitz in Bercy?

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:20 pm

NITB, yes I saw the final and bits of some of the earlier rounds. I never saw him play prior to that. I am not quite sure what to think. I liked his game in principle and in some ways he looked more of a complete player to me than Raonic, yet there was a part of me that was wondering whether he would be able to reproduce this or whether it was just a one-off. I believe he turns 22 in December (similar to Raonic), yet he did not do all that much up until then. I hope he will be a real thing, but unfortunately my best guess for him is to be a top 20 player with maybe occasional stints in top 10. I hope I am wrong and he can do better.

From a broader poerspective, I find it disappointing that the only guys who seem to have any chance playing attacking tennis these days are all extra tall. The players with more average physique seem to be unable to attack succesfully. Well, no big surprise there I suppose, but too bad anyway.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:34 pm

summerblues wrote:NITB, yes I saw the final and bits of some of the earlier rounds. I never saw him play prior to that. I am not quite sure what to think. I liked his game in principle and in some ways he looked more of a complete player to me than Raonic, yet there was a part of me that was wondering whether he would be able to reproduce this or whether it was just a one-off. I believe he turns 22 in December (similar to Raonic), yet he did not do all that much up until then. I hope he will be a real thing, but unfortunately my best guess for him is to be a top 20 player with maybe occasional stints in top 10. I hope I am wrong and he can do better.

From a broader poerspective, I find it disappointing that the only guys who seem to have any chance playing attacking tennis these days are all extra tall. The players with more average physique seem to be unable to attack succesfully. Well, no big surprise there I suppose, but too bad anyway.

I have exactly the same thoughts, prefer his game to Raonic's, not sure whether he'll be able to pick up where he left and sad that the only attackers now have to be giants.

Mind you, after what he showed after the promising start, I wouldn't call Raonic's tennis attacking.
It's got the pretense of it, but in the heart of hearts, Raonic is a conservative both as a character and a player.

JJ is the opposite and really exctiting, I so hope he does not disappear!

Strangest of all, when I watch JJ, I don't see a lumbersome Isner or Karlovic, he's quite a decent athlete for his size, enough to be properly watchable.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:06 am

noleisthebest wrote:Mind you, after what he showed after the promising start, I wouldn't call Raonic's tennis attacking.
It's got the pretense of it, but in the heart of hearts, Raonic is a conservative both as a character and a player.

Do not know about his character, but agree that he plays too conservatively. I find it quite puzzling. Granted, conditions do not favor attacking play but still it should be clear to Milos that he has no hope of outplaying the top guys playing defensively. With his build, he has to attack and see where that gets him. That said, he does need to work on his groundstrokes and needs to improve his rallying - no matter what style you play these days you will end up in enough rallies to make it impossible to ignore that part of the game.

noleisthebest wrote:Strangest of all, when I watch JJ, I don't see a lumbersome Isner or Karlovic, he's quite a decent athlete for his size, enough to be properly watchable.
Yes, that is one thing that struck me also - he did not appear nearly as awkward as I would have expected someone his size to be.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:16 am

noleisthebest wrote:
Tenez wrote:
Nadal out of the top 10.

Yes but tennis is about very thin margins...even for Rafa. We can see how vulnerable he is when not tip top. All his points are from the AO and clay. If he doesn't do well there, he simply slide out of the top 10. I think he will struggle....even on clay.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:23 am

summerblues wrote:Did not check current ranking points so going by memory:

April:
1 Djokovic
2 Federer
3 Murray
4 Ferrer
5 Nadal

July:
1 Djokovic
2 Murray
3 Federer
4 Nadal
5 Del Potro

I am not expecting anything earth-shattering to happen between now and then. I think Nole and Andy will do well, Roger and Rafa are harder to predict - they could be anywhere from outstanding to mediocre. I am banking on Ferrer being unable to defend all his points - hence Delpo in top 5 by July, but by no means would I be shocked if Ferrer stayed there.

Good to see you survived Sandy SB. Not a bad pick though Ferrer's game was still improving in last month. It goes to show that physically a player can still play as well at 30/31 than at 28...actually better in fact. I however agree that older player might find it harder to physically recover from a tough match.

I think Delpo is teh most likely to make to entry in the top 3 if he stays injury free.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:56 am

No disrespect to Ferrer and his newly liberated tennis self during Nadal's absence, I think Delpo will have no excuse not to overtake Ferrer in ranking, he is simply a better player, came back to his best after the surgery, and it has to be bis goal to be in top 5.
Depending on what Nadal does, Delpo could move even in top 3 or 4 .
If for example he had a good run at one of the slams ( minimum semifinal) there's no reason why he shouldn't start gathering a confidence momentum and start playing his A+ game with more consistency.
Speaking of consistency, that's the "only" thing that separates him from Murray at the moment.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:32 pm

Tenez wrote:Good to see you survived Sandy SB.
Thanks Tenez, I do not live in the worst hit area but still close enough to Sandy's path that it did cause fair amount of trouble here. Most people in our area lost power - many for days. Luckily, our apartment building was somehow spared - we only lost internet for a couple of days.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:11 am

Remember this thread...we will know better in a couple of month....but really seems I was right about Nadal.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:52 am

Tenez wrote:Remember this thread...we will know better in a couple of month....but really seems I was right about Nadal.
Yes, this is by far one of your best predictions...

Speaking of predictions, what happened to the results of AO prediction game?

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:49 am

Interesting thread indeed smiley

April

1) Djokovic

2) Federer

3) Murray

4) Ferrer

5) Nadal

July. Now this is a git of prediction.

1) Djokovic

2) Federer

3) Murray

4) Nadal

5) Tsonga

I don't see much change in the top 3 TBH. I don't see Murray gaining anything on Clay over Djokovic or Federer, unless he pulls out the most ridiculous turnaround on Clay ever!

I think Tsonga now with the right focus might just creep up the rankings. I feel it in me bones!!!

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:18 am

Do people really see Nadal coiming back? I really don't. His clay season is going to be everything and I doubt he will be able to train as much and as hard....and even if he does...he game is obsolete now.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:36 pm

It is a tough call Ten. I think my reasoning is largely based on historic showings. It is rare someone has dominated one surface like Nadal has on Clay and depending if the field rise to the occasion and de-throne him should he show weaknesses.

I think once we see him on court and see how he plays, some predictions will change drastically. Still even an 80% Nadal could duff up the rest of the field on Clay probably bar Federer and Djokovic. Ferrer possibly if he gives up being a freebie.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:52 pm

legendkillar wrote:It is a tough call Ten. I think my reasoning is largely based on historic showings. It is rare someone has dominated one surface like Nadal has on Clay and depending if the field rise to the occasion and de-throne him should he show weaknesses.

Can't argue against that but even Borg went from winning 6 to winning none. Borg unlike Nadal was not that welcomed at the FO where Babolat did its best to give the latter the best conds to succeed.

I think once we see him on court and see how he plays, some predictions will change drastically. Still even an 80% Nadal could duff up the rest of the field on Clay probably bar Federer and Djokovic. Ferrer possibly if he gives up being a freebie.
Yes but I am saying that even 100% players will stop him from winning on clay. Guys like Delpo, Rao, Murray of course...etc....can certainly do what Soderling did. Being tall and powerful can turn clay into an advantage against Nadal.

I however know that even if at 100% posters will be reluctant to assimilate his losses to the opposition but to his drop a form. Winning = form; losing = not on form.....completely disregarding the opposition.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:01 pm

Well there is talk of a racquet change that caused a meltdown on 606V2 Guess the top 5 in April and July 2013.... 2033450363 and I have to say it is a ballsy move. Again depending how much practice he has had with can also count as something that may well play into the hands of his opponents. Babolat can try and try to influence the conds. Maybe bring back the heavier balls from 2011 and it will become interesting Winking

See Raonic for me is a massive work in progress. I know he done Murray on Clay, but wasn't he dished a lesson by Feds last year in Madrid IIRC? I might have me tournaments mixed up. Now a hungry JJ might do a Soderling. I could see that. Del Potro maybe. Didn't they meet at the DC in 2011 on Clay? I can never see Murray beating Nadal on Clay, even if they ended up in wheelchair tennis!! I think the bigger threats to Nadal on Clay remain as Feds and Djokovic. However, a Seppi or Tsonga might prove tricky too.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:16 pm

legendkillar wrote:
See Raonic for me is a massive work in progress. I know he done Murray on Clay, but wasn't he dished a lesson by Feds last year in Madrid IIRC? I might have me tournaments mixed up. Now a hungry JJ might do a Soderling. I could see that. Del Potro maybe. Didn't they meet at the DC in 2011 on Clay? I can never see Murray beating Nadal on Clay, even if they ended up in wheelchair tennis!! I think the bigger threats to Nadal on Clay remain as Feds and Djokovic. However, a Seppi or Tsonga might prove tricky too.

Yes I think Rao almost gave Fed a lesson in Madrid that day...but to be fair Fed was coming back from a long break....and first match on clay so it may not have been the best benchmark.

I don;t think Murray (fit) would ever lose to Nadal now....regardless the surface. He was not so far away from Nadal on clay even from 2009. They played 3 times, including when Murray had his ankle injury...yet he did ok. Now Murray is a much better player.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:01 pm

I reckon Nadal is going to (big maybe, though) play doubles in these two tournaments next 2 weeks, and then go quiet until proper clay season when he'll announce retirement.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:13 pm

It is certainly really weird that he chooses to play double and not single. Clearly he doesn't want his "invincibility" image to be tarnished cause he knows he is not up to competition level.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:16 pm

Tenez wrote:It is certainly really weird that he chooses to play double and not single. Clearly he doesn't want his "invincibility" image to be tarnished cause he knows he is not up to competition level.

I don't get it at all.
The only reason I can see him playing dobules is to break the ice and shake off the nerves if he does indeed plan to play singles later.
But that's not going to help much, is it? If nothing, it could make it even worse.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:42 pm

I think he is essentially getting an appearance fee without having to sweat.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:45 pm

Well he did say the knee is STILL sore, just in case.... Guess the top 5 in April and July 2013.... 1071211947

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by gallery play Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:34 pm

Tenez wrote:Do people really see Nadal coiming back? I really don't. His clay season is going to be everything and I doubt he will be able to train as much and as hard....and even if he does...he game is obsolete now.

I think he's very nervous for his comeback, which is why he's still complaining about his knee. He's just being Nadal on that.
I expect a few losses upcoming weeks but i also won't be surprised if he's back on track by the time MC starts and from that point he'll be a tough man to beat at RG.

BTW: the bookies have a lot of faith in him, he's clear favorite for RG. It's true, it's hard bet against him but Nadal at 11/10 and Djoko 7/4 is a little too optimistic

gallery play

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:38 pm

Either he will be hard to beat....like in the past...or he will be pretty easy prey for the top players. For some reasons I think it's going to be the latter.

The thing is even at his best he never had easy wins against the top players. Now I can't see it get past them.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:00 am

Tenez wrote:Either he will be hard to beat....like in the past...or he will be pretty easy prey for the top players. For some reasons I think it's going to be the latter.

The thing is even at his best he never had easy wins against the top players. Now I can't see it get past them.

I think he will be pretty close to as good as ever on clay. Also, on clay, he had plenty of very easy wins against even top players in the past.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:26 am

summerblues wrote: Also, on clay, he had plenty of very easy wins against even top players in the past.

I can only remember one...that famous FO 08 final. Even v Murray it was not that easy the last few times they met.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by gallery play Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:59 pm

If Nadal gets real fit and gains confidence, he'll be extremely hard to beat on clay. The fact he's been away for so long is in Rafa's case not as impeding as it is for many others. He's not the "fingerspitzgefuhl" kinda guy who relies on feel and timing. As soon as he feels he's physically stonger than his opponant, he'll be in "animal mode" in no time.

Imo he doesn't have to play that well to win on clay (like Djoko he can win despite being outplayed) So it all depends on how powerful he still is or not..

gallery play

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:27 pm

I agree with the principle very much. As I said multiple times, his game style simply allowed him to be successful with his unatural hand for very good reasons cause he does not rely on fine timing.

However he still has to find the right length for his topspins, the right mouvements, can't stand too far to retrieve serves....and even in 2010/11/12 he got pretty close matches on his multiple wins. Without as much confidence, probably tougher antidoping and 25s rule, the balance can swiftly change.

I remember 2010, his best year. I was never impressed by his tennis...despite his many wins cause I remember many had very close matches on his way. To me he played much better in 2011...and maybe even in 2012 (helped on clay for sure with the dead balls).

I don;t think he will have everyting going for him this time and maybe because of my Borg's comeback experience, I cannot see him coming back at the top.

Will see but I think he will still attract crowd but he will essentially want to cash in invitation fees and maybe have TDs helping him on the way.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:01 pm

I remember Nadal at his peak, he drilled that spin to such perfection the balls were dipping on the line every time, as if he put some spell on them.

He must have drilled those shots into oblivion, and that was his "best tennis" he likes to call it "dictating with his forehand".

To get back to that, he'll need several Masters tournaments. I just hope other guys use the opportunity and go for him like Rosol did at Wimbledon.
Spaniards will of course, roll over for him, as usual, with the exception of Verdasco, perhaps.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:28 pm

noleisthebest wrote:I remember Nadal at his peak, he drilled that spin to such perfection the balls were dipping on the line every time, as if he put some spell on them.
I don't remember that....but I certainly remember a few lucky ones on BPs, especially in that 2007 FO final.

To get back to
that, he'll need several Masters tournaments. I just hope other guys use the
opportunity and go for him like Rosol did at Wimbledon.
Spaniards will of
course, roll over for him, as usual, with the exception of Verdasco, perhaps.
I expect Rao to tech him a few lesson...he started to get a taste for Spanish blood in his last DC.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:31 pm

I just want Nole to trounce him badly, ideally at RG, not sure what his ranking is going to be there, but could be a QF opponent.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:28 am

Tenez wrote:
summerblues wrote: Also, on clay, he had plenty of very easy wins against even top players in the past.

I can only remember one...that famous FO 08 final. Even v Murray it was not that easy the last few times they met.
I think this is a combo of wishful thinking and selective memory. In your mind all of his wins against Federer - bar 2008 - were difficult. Fed has done quite well and - surely - one can think of places where he could have done better (missed break points etc) but all in all, the matches were easy enough for Rafa. Certainly not hard enough to inspire an awful lot of hope that he will start losing this year. But of course, if it does turn out that he will start losing on clay, I will not be complaining smiley

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:21 am

summerblues wrote:I think this is a combo of wishful thinking and selective memory. In your mind all of his wins against Federer - bar 2008 - were difficult. Fed has done quite well and - surely - one can think of places where he could have done better (missed break points etc) but all in all, the matches were easy enough for Rafa. Certainly not hard enough to inspire an awful lot of hope that he will start losing this year. But of course, if it does turn out that he will start losing on clay, I will not be complaining Guess the top 5 in April and July 2013.... 650269930
That's the point....those key BPs/SPs and MPs are everything. Fed was 2 or 3 points away from winning that last encounter on clay (FO11) in 4 sets and most of tehir encounters on clay where similar..many certainly. Now for Nadal the challenge will be to avoid that situation and I simply cannot see it. Maybe against a poor form Federer like in FO12 but certainly not against an in-form one and not against Djoko, Murray and even Ferrer if his mind holds on.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by paulcz Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:48 pm

Yeah, Morybundus returned on courts
after his heavy disease, what to predict with him for clay season?

He does play the same as always, which is only way he can play. He definitely will try to defense his RG,
which is only GS he can do this year and in my opinion only one for in his future.

I do not expect that he will suffer with a lack of stamina, therefore I do not see that there will appear any new strong opposition to him. It will hang just on Nole and Murray to give him a lesson. Of course for Murray that will be a big challenge, but I see his chances. No chance for Fed anymore at RG and I do not believe that others will have a chance with him.

I saw just a few moments from Chille and it was quite enough. I even thought that moonballing has become
extinct till this week. So shortly, the greatest moonballer came back. Please Nole and Andy, it is up to you to cope with this defective tennis element Guess the top 5 in April and July 2013.... 4006036031

paulcz

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:10 pm

Tenez wrote:That's the point....those key BPs/SPs and MPs are everything. Fed was 2 or 3 points away from winning that last encounter on clay (FO11) in 4 sets and most of tehir encounters on clay where similar..many certainly.
I do not think so. The way tennis scoring works it is often possible - except in the most one-sided matches - to convince self that the match was closer than it really was.

Anyway, I know that you have a pretty strong view on this so I expect we will just have to agree to disagree here.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:28 pm

paulcz wrote:Yeah, Morybundus returned on courts
after his heavy disease, what to predict with him for clay season?

He does play the same as always, which is only way he can play. He definitely will try to defense his RG,
which is only GS he can do this year and in my opinion only one for in his future.

I do not expect that he will suffer with a lack of stamina, therefore I do not see that there will appear any new strong opposition to him. It will hang just on Nole and Murray to give him a lesson. Of course for Murray that will be a big challenge, but I see his chances. No chance for Fed anymore at RG and I do not believe that others will have a chance with him.

I saw just a few moments from Chille and it was quite enough. I even thought that moonballing has become
extinct till this week. So shortly, the greatest moonballer came back. Please Nole and Andy, it is up to you to cope with this defective tennis element Guess the top 5 in April and July 2013.... 4006036031

Don't worry, Paul, our man can't wait to shred him to bits and send him to his permanent retirement Guess the top 5 in April and July 2013.... 83870220
He even threw a glove in his face last week when he said that "we'll see when Nadal returns to hard courts...." Guess the top 5 in April and July 2013.... 1071211947

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by paulcz Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:47 pm

noleisthebest wrote:
Don't worry, Paul, our man can't wait to shred him to bits and send him to his permanent retirement Guess the top 5 in April and July 2013.... 83870220
He even threw a glove in his face last week when he said that "we'll see when Nadal returns to hard courts...." Guess the top 5 in April and July 2013.... 1071211947

Yeah Nitb, that is correct, The demolition of the moonballer, that will be a topic of this tennis year. I can not
wait for this moment. It is not that farGuess the top 5 in April and July 2013.... 123628122

paulcz

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:40 am

summerblues wrote:
I do not think so. The way tennis scoring works it is often possible - except in the most one-sided matches - to convince self that the match was closer than it really was.

Anyway, I know that you have a pretty strong view on this so I expect we will just have to agree to disagree here.
What makes you think I have stronger views than you? You are not changing your views either as far as I can.
It;s the scoring system which makes ot that Federer was leading 5/2 with set point...losing or winning this set based on one point makes it what I call a close set....when in fact that point would have made that set one sided in favour of the one who lost it. Doesn;t make my views strong or weak...I just try to observe and draw basic conclusions.
Did HZ win convingly today or was that a close match?

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:20 am

Tenez wrote:What makes you think I have stronger views than you?
Oh I did not say that smiley
Tenez wrote:It;s the scoring system which makes ot that Federer was leading 5/2 with set point...losing or winning this set based on one point makes it what I call a close set....when in fact that point would have made that set one sided in favour of the one who lost it.
Yeah, but players play a score to some extent. You cannot give that set to Federer and assume he would have done as well (or better) in the remaining sets as he in actuality did. Nadal could have felt he needed to step it up and maybe he would have. It is all assumptions from then on. The reality is Fed never even took him to five sets at RG. It is no coincidence.
Tenez wrote:Did HZ win convingly today or was that a close match?
I did not watch that (except the tail end of the third) though I wish I had.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by gallery play Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:55 am

summerblues wrote:Yeah, but players play a score to some extent..

I think that's a fair point. Especially between Fed-Nad. Fed has generally played great against Nadal from 2 different positions:
1. from the start of the match:
-Wimbledon 2006/ 2007
-RG 2011
-Rome 2006 (remember the first set tiebreak?)
-Hamburg 2008 (5-1 lead)
-ect

2. from a desperate position:
-Wimbledon 2008 fourth set/tiebreak
-RG 2007 (break behind in the fourth)
-RG 2011 third set
-ect

So he basically needs an empty mind or a nothing-left-to-lose-state-of-mind. Anyways: the score is very much a part of it.
(best of three under fast conditions changes this dynamic big time of course)

On the other hand: the fact that Fed did not take Nad to a fifth even once at RG, does not tell the whole story. I'm sure Nadal experienced all of his encounters with Federer at RG (bar 2008) as tighter ones than his 5 setter against Isner.

gallery play

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:51 am

You coudl say a player plays a score. True....except Nadal maybe who plays every point with the same intensity and tactics. This is his mental strength cause it frees his mind from all sorts of thoughts and keeps him focused. And the 2008 final proves that very point. Nadal was not troubled by an under par Federer.
Anyhow, even if I can agree he coudl play the score, in a slam's final you want to play well from beginning to end. The reason I believe the encounters were close is that Federer's A game is better than Nadal....even on clay. However like Nadal says he just needs to wait to see that edge goes off. So on best of 3, those encounters where often pretty close, there might be an argument for saying that in best of 5...it was not as much....but despite that I believe there is not much between Federer thrashing Nadal and losing in tight sets. And I woudl say that applies a lot with any player v Nadal. To me the difference between Nadal losing in 4 v Sod or winning in 4 v Federer is very much down to little things. Luck being one, 2 the difficulty that Federer had with having to play Nadal only in high pressure situation without having the possibility to train more regularly with a similar player. Rome 06 probably did not help setting the tone of their future encounters etc...either.
In any case I could see most of their emcounters on clay were close and he won a few for a very good reason...certainly not by luck. As Fed's game can click in, Nadal has no say. It's a thin margin between thrashin him and losing a tight match....Zeballos proved it yesterday yet again....even if it was an sub-par Nadal.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:50 am

Time to bump this up. I do not think any of us got it quite right for the post-Miami predictions. What do we think now about the post-Wimbledon ones? Would we make any changes? I am sticking with my original ones, but I would be even less surprised than before if Ferrer stayed at #5. Also I think Rafa has some chance - though I still think it is a long shot - to be at #3 after Wimbledon.

rotla, you did not initially give any post-Wimbledon predictions. Are you ready to try now?

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next