Our Tennis Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Will Nadal ever win a Tour Finals title?
Indian Wells - 2019 - Page 5 EmptyWed May 15, 2024 11:49 pm by Daniel2

» I Just Can't Help Believing!
Indian Wells - 2019 - Page 5 EmptyWed May 15, 2024 11:18 pm by Daniel2

» The Bullshit of Rafael Nadal
Indian Wells - 2019 - Page 5 EmptyMon Feb 12, 2024 12:15 am by Daniel2

» Why Trump's 'tough' stance on radical Islam... could lead to more terrorism
Indian Wells - 2019 - Page 5 EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:32 am by Daniel2

» Missing Madeline 10 years on..
Indian Wells - 2019 - Page 5 EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:31 am by Daniel2

» '15 Dubious Weak Era Records'
Indian Wells - 2019 - Page 5 EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:06 am by Daniel2

» AO 2024 - Sinner baby!!
Indian Wells - 2019 - Page 5 EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:05 am by Daniel2

» Paris Masters
Indian Wells - 2019 - Page 5 EmptyMon Nov 06, 2023 9:47 pm by noleisthebest

» Alvarez could bring me back to tennis
Indian Wells - 2019 - Page 5 EmptyWed Sep 20, 2023 10:25 am by raiders_of_the_lost_ark

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

Indian Wells - 2019

+8
raiders_of_the_lost_ark
sphairistike
summerblues
Slippy
Daniel2
noleisthebest
Tenez
Jahu
12 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

Indian Wells - 2019 - Page 5 Empty Re: Indian Wells - 2019

Post by Daniel2 Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:34 pm

I reckon Nole's resurgence got to him.
---

lol... what a pile of shit.  You really need to separate reality from your fanboyism.  It's Nole who just got his ass whooped by yesterday's player - not Federer.

Daniel2

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel2 Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:26 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEWTdgUDOkQ

Federer continually saying his opponent played better and rationally talking about his own mistakes.  Nadal it's never "my opponent played better when it mattered" etc.

Daniel2

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:20 am

noleisthebest wrote:....a while. It's cool. Really cool.
I was ready in 2012 when he won his 17th at Wimbledon. When I said sad...I meant tennis wise of course...cause it certainly doesn't prevent me from sleeping.  Winking

Don't know what happened later, judging by your comments he was injured.
If niggle he probably could have won like he did in the past but being 37 is clearly worse than being injured nowadays. It simply changes the way he wants to play: Too many risky drop shots, too many rushes to the net, too many unsuccessful SABR, etc...

he knows that but he has no choice. Like he has no choice to say he felt great in his post match interview. Only Daniel is blind to all that.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:35 am

Federer wrote:I think that’s what I do very well in my head, you know, how I’m able to, for three seconds, analyze it, maybe be frustrated for myself a little bit, and then right away go into relax mode, go into preparation mode for the next point, and be able to think clear again. I think when you feel that way, yeah, you move on quickly.

That for me is one of the most difficult thing to do when playing. And I think the very reason he won so much.

But at the same time, Federer is the player who lost so many close key matches...and that is difficult to explain.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:03 am

Tenez wrote:
Federer wrote:I think that’s what I do very well in my head, you know, how I’m able to, for three seconds, analyze it, maybe be frustrated for myself a little bit, and then right away go into relax mode, go into preparation mode for the next point, and be able to think clear again. I think when you feel that way, yeah, you move on quickly.

That for me is one of the most difficult thing to do when playing. And I think the very reason he won so much.

But at the same time, Federer is the player who lost so many close key matches...and that is difficult to explain.
He won a few too. So has Nadal won & lost a few.

I don't think losing your share of close matches means anything. They're close because the players are closely matched that day.

bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:04 am

Tenez wrote:It doesn't look much but this match really ends Federer's carrer for me. He will not win anything significant from now on.

He had ideal conditions, a not that good opponent (in spite of what I read) but Fed was simply stiff and tired. He clearly could not play the game he had in mind and that made him successful even until recently.

A sad day even if that day came very late in his career and was more than due.
Well it's all there a couple of threads down the list.

bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:48 am

bogbrush wrote:
Tenez wrote:

He won a few too. So has Nadal won & lost a few.

I don't think losing your share of close matches means anything. They're close because the players are closely matched that day.

Because of his risk taking game, I consider him the mentally toughest player. He has executed many, ridiculously risky shots at key moments to get where he has.

Yet there is a long list of matches he should/could have won which he did not.

I see Nadal and Djoko as opposite to Federer in that respect. They have won many they should have lost, essentially thanks to their grit, helped of course by their superior stamina.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:27 pm

Yes but this has nothing to do with winning or losing close matches. A close match means by definition that day the players are closely matched so a 50/50 outcome in close matches is not unexpected.

I can think of matches Federer has won from very nasty tight situations, and has lost as well.

Straight away I can think of Nadal throwing an AO away against Djokovic when he drove an easy winner into the net, and I can think of Djokovic fouling the net at a critical juncture at the French against Nadal. They all do it.

bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:50 pm

bogbrush wrote:Yes but this has nothing to do with winning or losing close matches. A close match means by definition that day the players are closely matched so a 50/50 outcome in close matches is not unexpected.

Not necessarily. A player might be close to win in 3 (hence not that closely matched), yet loses in 5 62 62 in the last 2 sets. Could be a close match as outcome could have gone either way but the players have been dominant at different stages.

For instance, Fed v Delpo USO 2009 was not that close had Fed had converted a second break in set 2 (he had 2),  Fed could have won that one in 3 convincingly. They would not have been closely matched. Yet one point allowed Delpo to drag this beyond 3 set and even win in 5. I don;t think one point determines whether players are closely matched.

I could mention FO 11 final, where Fed also could have won in 3 or 4..yet lost in 4, Fed v Hewitt, DC 2006?, etc.....

I can think of matches Federer has won from very nasty tight situations, and has lost as well.
I can think many more matches that Fed should have won and ended up losing than the other way around.

Straight away I can think of Nadal throwing an AO away against Djokovic when he drove an easy winner into the net, and I can think of Djokovic fouling the net at a critical juncture at the French against Nadal. They all do it.
That's my point. The more stamina, the more likely one is to win matches expected to lose.

Nadal, Murray and Djoko all 3 have won more matches than they should have ....and in that respect, Djoko is probably the ultimate one as he is simply the fittest, or with best stamina anyway.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Emancipator Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:46 am

bogbrush wrote:Yes but this has nothing to do with winning or losing close matches. A close match means by definition that day the players are closely matched so a 50/50 outcome in close matches is not unexpected.

I agree.

Federer gets criticized for losing close matches but he has probably won far more deciding setters than lost. I don't think he gets enough credit for his grit and fighting qualities. He is so hard to put away. Rarely ever gets blown off the court. Have seen Rafa go down meekly against a player on form many times. Rarely happens with Federer.

Emancipator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5