Our Tennis Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Will Nadal ever win a Tour Finals title?
The most boring slam in recent memory EmptyWed May 15, 2024 11:49 pm by Daniel2

» I Just Can't Help Believing!
The most boring slam in recent memory EmptyWed May 15, 2024 11:18 pm by Daniel2

» The Bullshit of Rafael Nadal
The most boring slam in recent memory EmptyMon Feb 12, 2024 12:15 am by Daniel2

» Why Trump's 'tough' stance on radical Islam... could lead to more terrorism
The most boring slam in recent memory EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:32 am by Daniel2

» Missing Madeline 10 years on..
The most boring slam in recent memory EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:31 am by Daniel2

» '15 Dubious Weak Era Records'
The most boring slam in recent memory EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:06 am by Daniel2

» AO 2024 - Sinner baby!!
The most boring slam in recent memory EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:05 am by Daniel2

» Paris Masters
The most boring slam in recent memory EmptyMon Nov 06, 2023 9:47 pm by noleisthebest

» Alvarez could bring me back to tennis
The most boring slam in recent memory EmptyWed Sep 20, 2023 10:25 am by raiders_of_the_lost_ark

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

The most boring slam in recent memory

+7
legendkillar
noleisthebest
gallery play
Tenez
bogbrush
Veejay
Emancipator
11 posters

Go down

The most boring slam in recent memory Empty The most boring slam in recent memory

Post by Emancipator Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:05 pm

Surely this is it.

Can't think of one exciting match and we're almost into the semis. 

Nadal with the creamiest cake walk since Djokovic at last year's USO. Just compare his run to what Federer faced in OZ.

Murray playing his usual passive boring fetch and run tactics. Why does he chase every ball - even the hopeless ones. It's like he's a wind up toy - just keeps running until the battery runs dry. 

Hoping Wawrinka can come in under the radar and blow them all off court.

Otherwise, roll on the grass court season

ghost

Emancipator

Emancipator

Back to top Go down

The most boring slam in recent memory Empty Re: The most boring slam in recent memory

Post by Veejay Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:30 pm

i find any major without federer in the draw,is like having a main course without a nice piece of meat,and if he isn in the final then its like having a meal without desert 
youre right there hasnt been any epic exciting thrilling matches,even todays victory from thiem who i think is the most exciting future prospect was a rather dull and one sided affair

Veejay

Back to top Go down

The most boring slam in recent memory Empty Re: The most boring slam in recent memory

Post by bogbrush Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:09 pm

Bloody Federer has ruined tennis for me, nothing else compares.

bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:25 pm

Well to be fair seeing Nadal losing on clay can always be enjoyed....though not on the cards here.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Veejay Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:10 pm

its not a done deal yet,wawrinka and thiem are looking a little hopeful 
if its murray in the final then he might as well not pitch up

Veejay

Back to top Go down

Post by gallery play Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:11 pm

Apart from Fed being absent and Nadal probably winning: this truly is a dreadful tournament. Just watched the second part of Murray-Nishi. Can it get any worse than that?

gallery play

Back to top Go down

Post by Emancipator Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:34 pm

Echo the sentiments on Federer.

Watching Federer play when he's on form and then watching any other current pro is like watching a different sport. 

Federer makes it beautiful and exciting - the rest just seem to suck the life out of the game. 

The Murray - Nishikori match was like water torture.

Nishi is actually one of the guys that has great strokes: so fluid and lazer like when on, but too often he fades away.

Emancipator

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:02 pm

My hope is in Stan the Man.

He alone can save this farce. And I hope Nadal gets tested during this tournament.

Btw, the best match and tennis was Goffin-Stakhovsky.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:09 pm

Ostapenko-Bascinsky may actually be a nice match tomorrow.

Ostapenko is young and enthusiastic, goes for her shots similar to Bartoli, Bascinsky from memory wanted to leave tennis last year...so not a bash contest.

Amazingly, both are having birthday tomorrow!

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:43 am

It's the French Open for crying out loud, can anyone seriously remember a memorable tournament in terms of quality throughout in it's history?

Seriously, I question the emotional stability of some on here. The day Federer retires will be on par with Take That splitting up in the 90's. Inconsolable sobbing and hotlines set up for people who will lose direction and purpose in life.

Life does go on. Seen some true greats go out of other sports and be concerned with the gulf of quality that takes it's place. I feel so sorry for the waves of players that come through and have a shot at greatness as I am sure with every praise they get will be met with "Well, he's no Federer"

Yes the likeliest outcome of this tournament will be Nadal winning it, however there is a chance maybe not. Maybe Thiem will win it and give the field some hope. Give hope a chance for gawd sake!

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:55 am

Yes i remember when the FO was exciting. That was before Nadal went on to win everything on it with his boring predictable game.
In fact when Fed was at his winning peak that was the most exciting surface and slam cause thats where his inly challenge remained. It wouls still have been the mist excuting one had he played this year....fresh. ...and i would have paid tons to see him play Rafa with a proper sized racquet all those previous years.
Its cleae that Fed made it quite close in 06 07 11 i spite of not being equipped with modern equipment. But that in a way is Fed's priblem not Nadal. It was also dramatic to see Djoko crumble a few times in spite of having the better game.

To me thats what makes it special.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by luvsports! Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:21 am

legendkillar wrote:It's the French Open for crying out loud, can anyone seriously remember a memorable tournament in terms of quality throughout in it's history?

Seriously, I question the emotional stability of some on here. The day Federer retires will be on par with Take That splitting up in the 90's. Inconsolable sobbing and hotlines set up for people who will lose direction and purpose in life.

Life does go on. Seen some true greats go out of other sports and be concerned with the gulf of quality that takes it's place. I feel so sorry for the waves of players that come through and have a shot at greatness as I am sure with every praise they get will be met with "Well, he's no Federer"

Yes the likeliest outcome of this tournament will be Nadal winning it, however there is a chance maybe not. Maybe Thiem will win it and give the field some hope. Give hope a chance for gawd sake!

2009 Big Grin

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:27 am

Proper rebel rouser you LS! Winking

Though I feel outcome drives emotions. Eg If Federer doesn't win, it's crap.

Sad indictment of the sport if it's come to that.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:52 am

legendkillar wrote:Proper rebel rouser you LS! Winking

Only in Nadal's case.

For me it's not even his dull tannis that's the ultimate turn off (and that says something!) - it's the manner with which he has been allowed to win all these years: fixed draws, taking time between points, slowing down conditions, courts destroying blood bags (positive dope tests), banning & threatening umpires from his matches, leaving Players council in a huff when he couldn't get his way (two years protected tpranking!!!) etc....

All that dwarfs his achievements, and of course makes RG unenjoyable.

Mind you, those two losses he had there were sublime, especially the Soderling one.

The one against Nole wasn't as big as the toll Nadal took from him was far greater.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:04 am

legendkillar wrote:It's the French Open for crying out loud, can anyone seriously remember a memorable tournament in terms of quality throughout in it's history?

And what's wrong with that?

He is so far above everyone.

Unfortunately, we are nowhere near being in danger of even having to make that comparison.

Forget about the ultimate grace that comes from his talent...who plays attacking and fearless tennis like he does?

Rublev, Stakhovsky, Stan and Goffin a little, Pouille used to...

So who is left to admire and enjoy?

Kyrgios, Thiem, Zverev...come on!

ATP has become one big gutless percentage tennis money making machine.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by luvsports! Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:35 am

legendkillar wrote:Proper rebel rouser you LS! Winking

Very true LK. Being a young whippersnapper, I have never had to experience my favourite player retiring. I will be fully foetal when Feds does go Sad

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

Post by gallery play Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:47 am

Come on now, can't you see this tournament in particular is miserable?

Look how easy Nadal got to the semi, how tamely Djoko leaves, how ugly Murray got through..
And what about the promising players? Zverev, Kyrgios, Pouile, Dimi ect ect:  they went out anonymously.
Thiem looks good, but i predict Nadal will beat him in easy 3 sets. 

I agree with Nitb: Stan is only one who can save RG.

Ok, i've seen 1 patch of light: Khachanov. But that's about it.

gallery play

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:51 am

... wrote:

And what's wrong with that?

He is so far above everyone.

Unfortunately, we are nowhere near being in danger of even having to make that comparison.

Forget about the ultimate grace that comes from his talent...who plays attacking and fearless tennis like he does?

Rublev, Stakhovsky, Stan and Goffin a little, Pouille used to...

So who is left to admire and enjoy?

Kyrgios, Thiem, Zverev...come on!

ATP has become one big gutless percentage tennis money making machine.

What's wrong with it? What's right with it?

There are plenty of players who play attacking and fearless tennis. Sadly, none with the sheer consistency, accuracy and confidence of Federer.

Fognini in my opinion would mop the floor with the field if he simply had the confidence and consistency of those way above in the rankings.

There is a true under appreciation for skill required in being able to mentally channel one's talent.

Fognini for me is the most entertaining player to watch on all counts. When he is on, totally unplayable.

Federer plays with a grace and compactness I will admit is breathtaking to watch at times. That I attribute to be one of his biggest success. However, his mindset and mental strength to channel and fulfil his talent. Could've easily gone the other way with a more fragile mindset.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:55 am

gallery play wrote:

Come on now, can't you see this tournament in particular is miserable?

Look how easy Nadal got to the semi, how tamely Djoko leaves, how ugly Murray got through..
And what about the promising players? Zverev, Kyrgios, Pouile, Dimi ect ect:  they went out anonymously.
Thiem looks good, but i predict Nadal will beat him in easy 3 sets. 

I agree with Nitb: Stan is only one who can save RG.

Ok, i've seen 1 patch of light: Khachanov. But that's about it.

They've all been miserable!!

Gawd look at the US Open last year when most of Djokovic's opponents died on their feet literally.

Honestly, it's like just one day everyone has realised the state of the game.

Newsflash, it's been pretty dire for years!

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Veejay Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:11 pm

i dont think that clay court tennis is boring,it can be quite thrilling
the djokovic/federer 2011 semi final was one of the best matches i ever witnessed 
federers 1st set in the final was pretty spectacular too
as tenez pointed out,its really down to the player 
but i agree LK everyone ( at least in the next 10-15 years ) will always end being compared to federer

Veejay

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:16 pm

Thiem to do what Fed never did at RG, beat Nadal? I'll have some of that, beat Choko and Nadal  smiley

Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Veejay Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:28 pm

he is in with a shot having won their last meeting and theyve faced each other at least 3 times,twice in finals during the 2017 clay season so thiem shouldnt feel overwhelmed by the occasion

Veejay

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:09 am

I doubt Thiem will beat Rafa.  Even watching their last match, I was not too encouraged.  Thiem was very aggressive (not all out crazy aggressive, but more than just a little aggressive) and he was lucky that many of his shots were going in.

On the other hand, Rafa was not at his best - I expect he will be better tomorrow.

I think it is unlikely that Thiem will be able to reproduce his performance and even if he can, he will still find that Rafa's shots are coming back much more frequently than in Rome.  At best he will last for a while and ultimately will get frustrated and lose.  Possibly lose quite badly.

Nevertheless, I hope I am wrong.  Good luck Thiem!  And also, of course, good luck Stan!

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:00 am

I think it is going to be down to fitness. Nadal needs a bit more power than Thiem for his shots and therefore should tire quicker but Nadal will make thiem run more.....hence he will also tire quick.
One important stat: Nadal has never lost a 5 setter on clay versus a shbher.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:27 am

Don't think it's entirely outside the realms of impossibility of Thiem beating Rafa. The key is how well Thiem starts. Pinches the first set, think he has a great shout.

Given up on predicting the winner from Stan/Murray. Who knows what version shows up in that encounter.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:09 am

Thiem had the same hype backing him up into the semis this time last year, and Djokovic destroyed him.

What has changed since?

He maybe has more experience, fitness.

I hope for at least a competitive set or two...

Then, if Thiem stands his ground, Nadal may start to get nervous.

That's as far as I can stretch it! Big Grin

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by luvsports! Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:22 pm

Thiem didn't have the hype last year. Why?
Because he just kept doing well at 250's but did nothing at the big tournaments and got a good draw last year at RG. Oh and he beat a much worse Rafa in Buenos Aires in early '16.
What has changed? He is going deep in bigger tournaments and is beating the best.

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Emancipator Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:42 pm

summerblues wrote:I doubt Thiem will beat Rafa.  Even watching their last match, I was not too encouraged.  Thiem was very aggressive (not all out crazy aggressive, but more than just a little aggressive) and he was lucky that many of his shots were going in.

On the other hand, Rafa was not at his best - I expect he will be better tomorrow.

I think it is unlikely that Thiem will be able to reproduce his performance and even if he can, he will still find that Rafa's shots are coming back much more frequently than in Rome.  At best he will last for a while and ultimately will get frustrated and lose.  Possibly lose quite badly.

Nevertheless, I hope I am wrong.  Good luck Thiem!  And also, of course, good luck Stan!

I suspect so not least because the court in Rome had very little space around it to chase down balls. The PC court is massive.

Emancipator

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:07 pm

I only saw the last set of Stan/Murray but that was amazing match!

Hopefully the second one will be as good....I doubt.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:18 pm

Shame I can still see your inane titles.  Speak for yourself. I've enjoyed it so far, and the SF lineup is very strong.  The final will be a cracker.

Daniel

Back to top Go down

Post by Emancipator Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:17 pm

Daniel wrote:Shame I can still see your inane titles.  Speak for yourself. I've enjoyed it so far, and the SF lineup is very strong.  The final will be a cracker.

You don't have to explain. We already know  Winking

Emancipator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down