Our Tennis Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» I Just Can't Help Believing!
ATP Masters 1000: Madrid - Page 4 EmptySat Mar 23, 2024 9:00 pm by noleisthebest

» The Bullshit of Rafael Nadal
ATP Masters 1000: Madrid - Page 4 EmptyMon Feb 12, 2024 12:15 am by Daniel2

» Why Trump's 'tough' stance on radical Islam... could lead to more terrorism
ATP Masters 1000: Madrid - Page 4 EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:32 am by Daniel2

» Missing Madeline 10 years on..
ATP Masters 1000: Madrid - Page 4 EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:31 am by Daniel2

» '15 Dubious Weak Era Records'
ATP Masters 1000: Madrid - Page 4 EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:06 am by Daniel2

» AO 2024 - Sinner baby!!
ATP Masters 1000: Madrid - Page 4 EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:05 am by Daniel2

» Paris Masters
ATP Masters 1000: Madrid - Page 4 EmptyMon Nov 06, 2023 9:47 pm by noleisthebest

» Alvarez could bring me back to tennis
ATP Masters 1000: Madrid - Page 4 EmptyWed Sep 20, 2023 10:25 am by raiders_of_the_lost_ark

» IDEMOOOOOOO! ! ! !
ATP Masters 1000: Madrid - Page 4 EmptyMon Sep 11, 2023 9:47 am by noleisthebest

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

ATP Masters 1000: Madrid

+9
AceofDeath
Veejay
Jahu
Emancipator
legendkillar
Tenez
Slippy
noleisthebest
summerblues
13 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

ATP Masters 1000: Madrid - Page 4 Empty Re: ATP Masters 1000: Madrid

Post by Emancipator Sun May 14, 2017 5:21 pm

summerblues wrote:
TMF wrote:Should Federer enter Rome as a WC?

I think he should give it serious thought. He could just use it as clay prep for RG and who knows he may be able to gain some useful points.
There is no such thing as "useful points" at this stage in his career.  There are only "useful grand slam titles".  He should see how RG goes and he should work hard to try to win W or USO.  If he gets to #1 in the process, so much the better, but he should waste exactly zero extra effort towards that.

I'm not so sure. I don't think adding one tournament is going to disrupt his schedule too much given that he's intending to practice on clay for the next couple of weeks anyway.

The reward 'of a few extra points' may be another YE number 1 - which at the age of 36 - and also tying Sampras for possibly the only major record he doesn't hold - would be a considerable addition to his legacy.

It would be remarkable to be the oldest number 1 in the history of the open Era.

If we're just considering 'useful grand slam titles' then playing RG without any clay prep doesn't sound like a very smart way of adding to that tally.

Emancipator

Back to top Go down

Post by Emancipator Sun May 14, 2017 5:23 pm

Waiting 'till after the USO leaves less opportunity in the way of scheduling to make gains given that he has a fullish schedule anyway after RG.

Whereas adding a clay masters now when he hasn't played in 2 months seems like a much more viable option.

Emancipator

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sun May 14, 2017 5:26 pm

Seeing Thiem today he reminded me of Muster. And I remembered that both are Austrian. So it is interesting to see again a "country" style.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sun May 14, 2017 5:27 pm

summerblues wrote:
summerblues wrote:

I think he should give it serious thought. He could just use it as clay prep for RG and who knows he may be able to gain some useful points.
There is no such thing as "useful points" at this stage in his career.  There are only "useful grand slam titles".  He should see how RG goes and he should work hard to try to win W or USO.  If he gets to #1 in the process, so much the better, but he should waste exactly zero extra effort towards that.
Maybe let me dial that back a little.  He should not waste any time thinking about #1 until after the USO.  If, after the USO, he is still in with a chance, then he can think about what, if anything, he wants to do to specifically chase #1.  But we are getting well ahead of ourselves.  He is 36 and an injury can be round the corner any moment.  So I will just take it one tourney at a time for now.

But if Fed plays RG and wins it, then is almost guaranteed to end up #1 at en of the year. He should play RG 100% committed.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Emancipator Sun May 14, 2017 5:33 pm

Given how poor the field is at the moment this actually gives Federer the best chance he's had at RG for many years. Even the prospect of a match against Nadal (which I'd expect him to lose) is more intriguing than it has been for about a decade.

Emancipator

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun May 14, 2017 5:35 pm

Tenez wrote:But if Fed plays RG and wins it, then is almost guaranteed to end up #1 at en of the year. He should play RG 100% committed.
He should play the first 3-4 rounds easy to see how it goes, and if he is feeling good about his game he should go 100% for it thereafter. I did not expect to be saying it this time 12 months ago, but I think he does have a decent chance.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by Emancipator Sun May 14, 2017 6:02 pm

Thiem holding up ok at the moment, but as usual, playing from the stands.

Emancipator

Back to top Go down

Post by Veejay Sun May 14, 2017 6:03 pm

roger should have played madrid if he wanted a clay warm up.the conditions suits him perfectly and a confidence boost going into a major is something that's always helped him win majors
I would have fancied my chances against nadal today if I was him
rather skip roma and go into RG really fresh

Veejay

Back to top Go down

Post by gallery play Sun May 14, 2017 6:44 pm

7-6 Nadal. How nadalish can a tie break get?

Thiem got 2 sp's but it never looked like he was going to win one.
Nadal couldn't have had a better prep for RG. It's been an ideal clay season for him so far. He faced ok players but none of 'm had the guts and skills to make him nervous.

gallery play

Back to top Go down

Post by Emancipator Sun May 14, 2017 6:46 pm

Breaks early in second. This is looking over.

Emancipator

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sun May 14, 2017 6:56 pm

gallery play wrote:7-6 Nadal. How nadalish can a tie break get?

Nadal couldn't have had a better prep for RG. It's been an ideal clay season for him so far. He faced ok players but none of 'm had the guts and skills to make him nervous.

Yes but can he have played too much before RG?

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by luvsports! Sun May 14, 2017 7:28 pm

Thiem seems like he's giving it a good go but more break points not taken.

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

Post by gallery play Sun May 14, 2017 7:30 pm

Tenez wrote:
gallery play wrote:7-6 Nadal. How nadalish can a tie break get?

Yes but can he have played too much before RG?
True, but didn't we expect him before to crack before the finnish line?  Usually in vain..

Last edited by gallery play on Sun May 14, 2017 7:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

gallery play

Back to top Go down

Post by gallery play Sun May 14, 2017 7:34 pm

Thiem's FH is not flat enough to beat Nadal on clay. Especally when hit from that far behind the baseline. BH is even worse. He hits it 5 yards behind the baseline. It's typical clay court tennis, but useless against Nadal. No one beats Nadal with classic clay court tennis.

gallery play

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sun May 14, 2017 7:56 pm

Poor Thiem...Sad
great fight!

Nadal's safe formula works yet one more time...

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sun May 14, 2017 8:19 pm

Yeah, like Djoko for 4 years had a mega attack formula  Doh

Not bad for Theim to go to Final, obviously beating Nadal in a clay final took some years for Djoko, let alone Thiem.

And Fed should rest till RG, and then win it smiley

Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sun May 14, 2017 8:35 pm

gallery play wrote:Thiem's FH is not flat enough to beat Nadal on clay. Especally when hit from that far behind the baseline. BH is even worse. He hits it 5 yards behind the baseline. It's typical clay court tennis, but useless against Nadal. No one beats Nadal with classic clay court tennis.
Exactly. Even if he had won that first set, he would have lost in 3. Very disappointed by his game. Just another Gasquet without the flair, though certainly fitter.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sun May 14, 2017 8:39 pm

So who can challenge Rafa at Rome?

Are we at a stage that we all hate Rafa now cause he is winning all of it like Djoko did 3-4 years in a row? 

I for once am happy it's not Djoko wining, sure I'd love to see others win and not Rafa, at least fed gave us some happy moments this year.

RG will be different beast from these clay tournies, I'm sure Stan will wake up, and will a few big hitters.

Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sun May 14, 2017 8:40 pm

If Fed can preserve his energy to the final (like he did in 2015) then he has a (good) chance.

I also expect Djoko and Murray to have recovered by then.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel Sun May 14, 2017 10:27 pm

He has no chance, Tenez.  You're deluding yourself into believing this is Federer 2006.  It isn't.  He's got no prayer on clay where his serve will not get him any freebies and he will be forced into rallies he can no longer win.  

The good news is that Nadal is not at all certain to win the FO. Slam level is a different ball game, especially in your 30s.  So don't be surprised to see him getting booted.

The only talking points here are Djokovic and how lazy and useless he has become, and the younger generation, who are the most pitiful mental midgets I have ever witnessed. They all seem to be able to get set points, but I don't ever see them being taken. Goffin, Theim... forget it.  These two seem utterly hopeless to me. Dimitrov needs to die.  Zverev is promising on all surfaces.  Kyrgios is a massive threat on grass and hc, but useless on clay.  

I was optimistic of the future last year, but not anymore.  These players will get better, and someone will dominate sooner or later (imho it's going to be zverev and kyrgios), but it's taking its sweet time.  Especially considering you have two grandpas on court winning everything.

Daniel

Back to top Go down

Post by luvsports! Mon May 15, 2017 9:17 am

Daniel wrote:He has no chance, Tenez.  You're deluding yourself into believing this is Federer 2006.  It isn't.  He's got no prayer on clay where his serve will not get him any freebies and he will be forced into rallies he can no longer win.  

The good news is that Nadal is not at all certain to win the FO. Slam level is a different ball game, especially in your 30s.  So don't be surprised to see him getting booted.

The only talking points here are Djokovic and how lazy and useless he has become, and the younger generation, who are the most pitiful mental midgets I have ever witnessed. They all seem to be able to get set points, but I don't ever see them being taken. Goffin, Theim... forget it.  These two seem utterly hopeless to me. Dimitrov needs to die.  Zverev is promising on all surfaces.  Kyrgios is a massive threat on grass and hc, but useless on clay.  

I was optimistic of the future last year, but not anymore.  These players will get better, and someone will dominate sooner or later (imho it's going to be zverev and kyrgios), but it's taking its sweet time.  Especially considering you have two grandpas on court winning everything.

XD

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon May 15, 2017 12:05 pm

Daniel wrote:I was optimistic of the future last year, but not anymore.  These players will get better, and someone will dominate sooner or later (imho it's going to be zverev and kyrgios), but it's taking its sweet time.  Especially considering you have two grandpas on court winning everything.
Some wise words at last. 

30 is the new 26! Every single results have proved me right since I started that discussion in 2009.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by gallery play Mon May 15, 2017 12:08 pm

Daniel wrote:He has no chance, Tenez.  You're deluding yourself into believing this is Federer 2006.  It isn't.  He's got no prayer on clay where his serve will not get him any freebies and he will be forced into rallies he can no longer win.  

So you're basically saying: No one will win RG this year?

gallery play

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel Mon May 15, 2017 9:36 pm

I'm saying Federer won't and Nadal is firm favourite, sadly (even though I still think it's nowhere near as certain as most people are saying. At 31, nothing is certain.  Predicting who will win the FO is impossible this year, to be frank.).  And he is 100% not going to win now, as he has pulled out.  A smart move.

Daniel

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Tue May 16, 2017 10:14 am

Well I can say for certain this year Federer won't win RG Winking It's a fact!

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Veejay Tue May 16, 2017 3:17 pm

dimitrov turns 26 today...doesnt look like he is ever going to live up to the hype or expectation

Veejay

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4