Our Tennis Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» I Just Can't Help Believing!
draw - Miami Draw out EmptySat Mar 23, 2024 9:00 pm by noleisthebest

» The Bullshit of Rafael Nadal
draw - Miami Draw out EmptyMon Feb 12, 2024 12:15 am by Daniel2

» Why Trump's 'tough' stance on radical Islam... could lead to more terrorism
draw - Miami Draw out EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:32 am by Daniel2

» Missing Madeline 10 years on..
draw - Miami Draw out EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:31 am by Daniel2

» '15 Dubious Weak Era Records'
draw - Miami Draw out EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:06 am by Daniel2

» AO 2024 - Sinner baby!!
draw - Miami Draw out EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:05 am by Daniel2

» Paris Masters
draw - Miami Draw out EmptyMon Nov 06, 2023 9:47 pm by noleisthebest

» Alvarez could bring me back to tennis
draw - Miami Draw out EmptyWed Sep 20, 2023 10:25 am by raiders_of_the_lost_ark

» IDEMOOOOOOO! ! ! !
draw - Miami Draw out EmptyMon Sep 11, 2023 9:47 am by noleisthebest

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

Miami Draw out

+4
N2D2L
Tenez
paulcz
truffin1
8 posters

Go down

draw - Miami Draw out Empty Miami Draw out

Post by truffin1 Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:50 pm

Fed in Ferrer quarter-,  Murray and Djoko in other quarter-     Fed has a solid chance to make semis and possibly finals if Djoko gets upset.  Possible match against Dimitrov who is in Ferrers path.

Djoko probably feeling good getting a struggling Murray, but could play Guilbus which might be interesting.

Nadal in Delpo quarter,  Stan and Berdych in other quarter.    Nadal has some tough early rounder matchups, but has good shot into the semis with Delpo not his usual self and has had trouble on the Miami courts as well.

With Murray still struggling, Ferrer and Delpo hurting-  it seems Stan has the really tough quarter with Berdych.

For Fed- I think this draw will entice him to stick around and play..  He doesn't like the Miami courts at all- but has to be confident he could get some semifinal points and solidify top 4 ranking, and he does get 5 days rest before he plays.    At his presser last night he said the plan was to fly to Miami and work with Edberg for a few days and then decide on whether to play based on how he was physically holding up..

truffin1

Back to top Go down

draw - Miami Draw out Empty Re: Miami Draw out

Post by paulcz Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:21 pm

Fed has a good draw, but the circuss castrato straw man is surely going to use all mighty uncle tricks to succeed there. Going through Tursunov, JJ,  Delpo, Stan/Berd, that will need another kind of a cheat. We have already had knee, patella, back, not sure what happen there. It is a shame that Delpo doesn't seem to be ready for heavy fights. But Turs and JJ could heat up the court nicely for our straw dummy.

paulcz

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:27 pm

Thanks Ruffin. I doubt Federer would be interested in a semi and its 360 points. If he plays it's either to turn up for sponsors ( a couple of rounds) or to win the whole thing. I think he will not make the mistake twice and will probably not play beyond 2 rounds if he does not feel right.

I'd like to read his presser cause the way he played yesterday I am not sure he is keen to get too tired again.

I think 90% chance he won't play beyond 2nd round....unless they have sped up the courts this year. Any one heard players' feedback on them?

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by truffin1 Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:39 pm

Tenez wrote:Thanks Ruffin. I doubt Federer would be interested in a semi and its 360 points.  If he plays it's either to turn up for sponsors ( a couple of rounds) or to win the whole thing. I think he will not make the mistake twice and will probably not play beyond 2 rounds  if he does not feel right.

I'd like to read his presser cause the way he played yesterday I am not sure he is keen to get too tired again.

I think 90% chance he won't play beyond 2nd round....unless they have sped up the courts this year. Any one heard players' feedback on them?

a couple of twitter mentions that court is slower than IW- slow as ever and quite humid there right now...   balls won't fly. It will be a snails pace court.

I'll post the full presser once it's up. 

Rolex is one of the sponsors and he didn't play last year, so certainly you have a point in terms of that aspect..  btw- Friends at Rolex invited me to the box for the week, but I can't make it due to prior commitments to the local WTA tourney we are in final preperations for.   I didn't think Fed was playing so didn't rearrange my schedule like I should have... darn.

truffin1

Back to top Go down

Post by truffin1 Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:42 pm

paulcz wrote:Fed has a good draw, but the circuss castrato straw man is surely going to use all mighty uncle tricks to succeed there. Going through Tursunov, JJ,  Delpo, Stan/Berd, that will need another kind of a cheat. We have already had knee, patella, back, not sure what happen there. It is a shame that Delpo doesn't seem to be ready for heavy fights. But Turs and JJ could heat up the court nicely for our straw dummy.

Comms mentioned yesterday during Djoko/Fed match that Nadal stayed in IW to relax at Ellisons house and had been playing "nonstop rounds of golf" on Ellisons private course..Fowler said he actually played some holes with Nadal and Nadal plays righty and whacks the heck out of it  Guessing his back must be feeling quite well if he's not trying to rest it and swinging the clubs.   I know when my back is acting up- no golf for me.

truffin1

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:47 pm

Nadals press team have said his back does not require taping anymore, and is ok.

It's the mental confidence he needs back.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:59 pm

truffin1 wrote:....  btw- Friends at Rolex invited me to the box for the week, but I can't make it due to prior commitments to the local WTA tourney we are in final preperations for.   I didn't think Fed was playing so didn't rearrange my schedule like I should have... darn.

woww unlucky. I thought you were not active in that field anymore. You must have made long good friends in the business.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by paulcz Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:01 pm

truffin1 wrote:
paulcz wrote:Fed has a good draw, but the circuss castrato straw man is surely going to use all mighty uncle tricks to succeed there. Going through Tursunov, JJ,  Delpo, Stan/Berd, that will need another kind of a cheat. We have already had knee, patella, back, not sure what happen there. It is a shame that Delpo doesn't seem to be ready for heavy fights. But Turs and JJ could heat up the court nicely for our straw dummy.

Comms mentioned yesterday during Djoko/Fed match that Nadal stayed in IW to relax at Ellisons house and had been playing "nonstop rounds of golf" on Ellisons private course..Fowler said he actually played some holes with Nadal and Nadal plays righty and whacks the heck out of it  Guessing his back must be feeling quite well if he's not trying to rest it and swinging the clubs.   I know when my back is acting up- no golf for me.

Yes truff, his back must have been miraculously healed by a help of Ellison  Cool 
I had also trouble with my back and elbow from my golf attempts, so I needed to quit it afterwards.
Everything about Nadal is ridiculous, that all normal fans know.

paulcz

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:02 pm

truffin1 wrote:

Yes, I cannot think of a worst sport than golf for the back.....and others (like GP) think it's terrible for knees too.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by truffin1 Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:25 pm

Tenez wrote:
truffin1 wrote:....  btw- Friends at Rolex invited me to the box for the week, but I can't make it due to prior commitments to the local WTA tourney we are in final preperations for.   I didn't think Fed was playing so didn't rearrange my schedule like I should have... darn.

woww unlucky. I thought you were not active in that field anymore. You must have made long good friends in the business.
yes, I retired, but lots of friends and former partners still involved.  I worked with Rolex with my clients for many years- they are extremely active in the sporting world- both through sponsorships/and endorsements. A great company-  structured from a charitable trust.

truffin1

Back to top Go down

Post by truffin1 Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:27 pm

Julia Santamaria wrote:Nadals press team have said his back does not require taping anymore, and is ok.

aah okay- I know you were saying his serving problems at IW were clearly due to continued back problems so glad to hear his team has cleared it up.  So he goes into Miami fully healthy.

truffin1

Back to top Go down

Post by truffin1 Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:48 pm

paulcz wrote:
truffin1 wrote:

Yes truff, his back must have been miraculously healed by a help of Ellison  Cool 
I had also trouble with my back and elbow from my golf attempts, so I needed to quit it afterwards.
Everything about Nadal is ridiculous, that all normal fans know.

My favourite was the torn patella tendon which anyone with a bit of experience with the injury knows the leg MUST be locked into a straight position to heal and to bend it is extremely painful- even for the most minor tears...     Yet- Paparazzi secretly caught  and photographed Nadal a few  days after he claimed he tore it- jet sking with legs bent, jumping off 4 story yacht legs flailing and impacting water--   the guy simply amazes me how is is able to do things while having certain injuries that just isn't realistically possible for mere mortals and other athtletes.. guess that's what makes him special.

Here is the poster child for the agony of a patella tendon tear and knee problems that keeps you out of action for 7 months. The pain on his face just breaks my heart!

http://www.justjared.com/2012/07/10/rafael-nadal-shirtless-sardinia-vacation/

truffin1

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:49 pm

truffin1 wrote:
Julia Santamaria wrote:Nadals press team have said his back does not require taping anymore, and is ok.

aah okay- I know you were saying his serving problems at IW were clearly due to continued back problems so glad to hear his team has cleared it up.  So he goes into Miami fully healthy.
Yes his back has improved.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by gallery play Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:07 pm

Tenez wrote:
truffin1 wrote:

Yes, I cannot think of a worst sport than golf for the back.....and others (like GP) think it's terrible for knees too.

Yep, Golf is a back killer. And with a righthanded swing also pretty demanding to the left knee (Rafa's bad one). Mind you: the stronger one is, the more damage one can cause to the back/knee/elbow and shoulder. That's why older people usually can play golf without getting hurt, they don't have to power to hurt their own body.
Tiger Woods, the fittest golfer of all, struggled almost 2 years with a serious left knee injury. Imaginable, given his 125 m/ph clubhead speed.
Rafa on a golfcourse with a supposedly back and knee injury is a joke. Even his golfswing is essentially strength based (and not so much technique), so you can imagine how much he is thumping his back/knee when he gets the driver out of the bag. And playing at 50% is almost impossible, because of the unleashing nature of a golfswing (from the tee), just like you can't hit the ball 'softly' with a baseball bat.
So, if he's on the golfcourse, he's simply not hurt at all.

gallery play

Back to top Go down

Post by gallery play Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:08 pm

Tenez wrote:
truffin1 wrote:

Yep, Golf is a back killer. And with a righthanded swing also pretty demanding to the left knee (Rafa's bad one). Mind you: the stronger one is, the more damage one can cause to the back/knee/elbow and shoulder. That's why older people usually can play golf without getting hurt, they don't have to power to hurt their own body.
Tiger Woods, the fittest golfer of all, struggled almost 2 years with a serious left knee injury. Imaginable, given his 125 m/ph clubhead speed.
Rafa on a golfcourse with a supposedly back and knee injury is a joke. Even his golfswing is essentially strength based (and not so much technique), so you can imagine how much he is thumping his back/knee when he gets the driver out of the bag. And playing at 50% is almost impossible, because of the unleashing nature of a golfswing (from the tee), just like you can't hit the ball 'softly' with a baseball bat.
So, if he's on the golfcourse, he's simply not hurt at all.

gallery play

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:49 pm

So more mysteries from Nadal....

I actually suspect he is getting "physically" ready for the challenge ahead of him now (Miami (maybe) but also Braca, MC, Madrid, Rome and the FO.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:52 pm

Tenez wrote:So more mysteries from Nadal....

He's not injured at the moment, what's the mystery?

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:05 pm

The mystery is when he loses, you'll be saying he is.

Daniel

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:08 pm

Like players and tournament directors I should thank, if not pay, Nadal to keep that forum alive. Without him it would be dead by now.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:47 pm

Tenez wrote:Like players and tournament directors I should thank, if not pay, Nadal to keep that forum alive. Without him it would be dead by now.
By that forum what are you referring to?

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:48 pm

FedererKing wrote:The mystery is when he loses, you'll be saying he is.
Firstly that's not going to be the case; secondly if you are so sure then why is it a mystery?

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:18 pm

Julia Santamaria wrote:
Tenez wrote:Like players and tournament directors I should thank, if not pay, Nadal to keep that forum alive. Without him it would be dead by now.
this very one. Nadal is the subject which makes us all argue.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:23 pm

Tenez wrote:
Julia Santamaria wrote:
this very one. Nadal is the subject which makes us all argue.
True.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:50 pm

Del Potro pulls out of Miami.

I didn't realise Miami has already started, Mannarino playing Davydenko atm.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by truffin1 Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:45 pm

[size=18.66]Roger Federer says 'No' to on-court coaches[/size]
March 14, 2014 -- Updated 1710 GMT (0110 HKT)

(CNN) -- Former world No. 1 Roger Federer had a simple message for those advocates of revamping tennis by allowing on-court coaches -- he hopes he will have retired if it ever happens.
On-court discussion with coaches is currently banned at ATP Tour events, but female players are allowed to call for a coach under certain circumstances.
Federer warned against rules changes in tennis following an effortless 7-5 6-1 quarterfinal victory over South Africa's Kevin Anderson at the Indian Wells Masters -- a win that will see the Swiss star return to the top five of the world rankings.
"If it does happen, it's hopefully after I'm done playing," the 17-time grand slam champion told reporters after the match.
"I really don't think it's necessary. I don't think it's fair, maybe, because not everybody can afford a coach ...it's just not right."

truffin1

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:53 pm

Yes, I saw that a couple of days ago, he also said:

"We'll see girlfriends walking out, we'll see parents walking out.
It's not going to be pretty, you know. It just won't. It will look amateur-like, in my opinion."
Maybe commentary likes it, you can look over to your coach for comfort and support, but other than that, I think tennis could or should be one of those unique sports where you don't get coaching."  

You can just imagine what chaos Stepanek would create....

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:06 pm

noleisthebest wrote:Del Potro pulls out of Miami.

I didn't realise Miami has already started, Mannarino playing Davydenko atm.
As expected...which makes Nadal's quarter easier.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by truffin1 Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:03 pm

Delpo has done a disservice to the draw past two tournies by waiting to last second to withdraw. He should have just shut it down early.  Esp Miami after it was clear a week ago that he wasn't able to play.

truffin1

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:05 pm

True. Do you think it is his say though? I think both the sponsors and the TDs may have asked him to take his time.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:04 pm

So....who's going to win Miami?

I wouldn't mind another Nole-Fed final.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:23 pm

I doubt Roger will be fit for it but if he is I would not mind a decider for sure.

To me Stan more than Delpo is the one who messes up the draw. I don't see him as a consistent force like the other 4s we used to have meaning that whoever has him in his draw is favoured.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by truffin1 Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:35 pm

Stan has more of a chance and balances the draw better than ferrer has as a top 4 though. The top of the field is a bit of a mess right now really- Delpo hurt, ferrer hurt + not being a real threat, Murray struggling, etc

truffin1

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:38 pm

truffin1 wrote:Stan has more of a chance and balances the draw better than ferrer has as a top 4 though.   The top of the field is a bit of a mess right now really-  Delpo hurt, ferrer hurt + not being a real threat, Murray struggling, etc
Yes...just about though. I'd be surprised if Stan reaches another slam final TBH.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:02 am

Looking through the draw, don't see Rafa lasting too many rounds here, early exit on the cards.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:09 am

Somehow the draw in IW looked more interesting - there were plenty of exciting matches in the early rounds.

Fed and Nole cannot meet in the final here - it would be SF.  We could have Rafa vs Fed or Rafa vs Nole final.  Or maybe Haas vs Thiem.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:11 am

truffin1 wrote:Stan has more of a chance and balances the draw better than ferrer has as a top 4 though.
Stan probably has a better chance to beat the top guys, but he is also more likely to go out early than Ferrer I think.  On balance, I think you are right though - he balances the draw a bit better (or rather: not quite as badly) as Ferrer.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by truffin1 Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:31 pm

Word out of Miami so far is courts are incredibly slow, but ball is not bouncing as high as IW...  guess take the good with the bad.

Fun fact about Fed vs. Ivo-    Out of 21 sets played-  14 have been decided by tiebreak!!   Federer has won 13 out of those 14 tiebreaks... and 10 out of 11 matches.   kind of crazy when you think about it..  It seems Ivo's serve gets him to the tiebreak, but then doesn't finish the job.

Still that's a tricky 1st match.

truffin1

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:13 pm

Federer was recently overtaken as "the best tie break record of all time"....by another big server: Isner.

A big serve is a huge advantage in breaker and unfortunately not for Karlo v Federer.

I think Fed is happy to play Karlo....as tough as it is. For Fed it means very little running and that's all he cares for now...I am pretty sure.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:19 pm

At least Ivo tries to play decent tennis, however hard it is for him with that height.
I wonder how he would've done in the fast era.
I don't remember any very tall players in the 80s and 90s.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:25 pm

Looks like he is back from injury....

Regarding how he'd fare on faster court, I think, he'd fair very very well. In fact unstoppable....though his serve would have probably been a bit more erratic with those nat strings.

Trick shot from Baghdatis....and bit cheeky to ask the crowd to cheer for it!

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Media/Video-Landing.aspx?/*/Tennis/Media/Videos/Uploaded/2014/3/19/Miami%202014%20Wednesday%20Hot%20Shot%20Baghdatis#ooid=gyOTZhbDpWkYZsiZMLUKxUQe52LXSJ7D

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:29 pm

Maybe like Amri  he thinks that's a "genius" shot! Winking

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:07 pm

I expect a Nadal Djoko final.....with Djoko winning it.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:32 pm

Things are hotting up in "team Nole": Becker has pulled out of Miami due to his  imminent double hip surgery.

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8817568

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:40 pm

I really hope Nole and Becker stay together for as long as possible.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:44 pm

How do you think Becker can realistically change Nole's game?

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:51 pm

noleisthebest wrote:How do you think Becker can realistically change Nole's game?
He can't really help Novak's game... and anyway Nole's problem is not in his game, it's in his head. That's why I believe that if the confidence 'clicks' again he'll be a force to be reckoned with.

However the longer Becker stays on Djokovic's team, the longer that's going to take, so as a Nadal fan I hope Becker stays on the team.
Becker's effect is two fold, firstly it means he will give his advice; second Vajda (who's a damn good coach...) will presumably gives less advice; dual effect to cheer up Nadal fans.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:25 am

LOL

Tomic's whole match today lasted only 5 more minutes than Nadal and Andujars tiebreak in Rio.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:29 am

Julia Santamaria wrote:LOL

Tomic's whole match today lasted only 5 more minutes than Nadal and Andujars tiebreak in Rio.
0 and 1...that was quick...against another oldie! Most likely injured.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:31 am

Apparently it was the quickest loss in ATP history.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down