Our Tennis Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» I Just Can't Help Believing!
How many slams will the current crop end up on? EmptySat Mar 23, 2024 9:00 pm by noleisthebest

» The Bullshit of Rafael Nadal
How many slams will the current crop end up on? EmptyMon Feb 12, 2024 12:15 am by Daniel2

» Why Trump's 'tough' stance on radical Islam... could lead to more terrorism
How many slams will the current crop end up on? EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:32 am by Daniel2

» Missing Madeline 10 years on..
How many slams will the current crop end up on? EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:31 am by Daniel2

» '15 Dubious Weak Era Records'
How many slams will the current crop end up on? EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:06 am by Daniel2

» AO 2024 - Sinner baby!!
How many slams will the current crop end up on? EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:05 am by Daniel2

» Paris Masters
How many slams will the current crop end up on? EmptyMon Nov 06, 2023 9:47 pm by noleisthebest

» Alvarez could bring me back to tennis
How many slams will the current crop end up on? EmptyWed Sep 20, 2023 10:25 am by raiders_of_the_lost_ark

» IDEMOOOOOOO! ! ! !
How many slams will the current crop end up on? EmptyMon Sep 11, 2023 9:47 am by noleisthebest

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

How many slams will the current crop end up on?

+3
legendkillar
Tenez
luvsports!
7 posters

Go down

How many slams will the current crop end up on? Empty How many slams will the current crop end up on?

Post by luvsports! Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:59 am

When all is said and done how many slams will...

1) Feds have?
2) Nadal?
3) Novak?
4) Murray?
5) Stan?
6) Delpo?
Others? E.g. Nishi, Rao, Berd, Cilic, Dimi etc

I ask this as a lot on v2 are saying Djoko could overtake Rafa, one or two even Feds! I don't agree with either but what do you think?

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

How many slams will the current crop end up on? Empty Re: How many slams will the current crop end up on?

Post by Tenez Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:45 pm

1) Feds have?18 Surely he deserves one more.
2) Nadal? 14..I don;t think he deserves an extra one.
3) Novak? 13 he will be shy of Nadal's record He'll struggle winning 2 next year....harder the following year thanks to other stepping in.
4) Murray? 2. Frankly I cannot see him winning another one. Just 1 final this year and it's getting harder from now on.
5) Stan? Hopefully 3 but I doubt.
6) Delpo? 1. Done. Sad but done.
Others? E.g. Nishi, Rao, Berd, Cilic, Dimi etc - Thiem is going to step in plus Kokki, and others.

I ask this as a lot on v2 are saying Djoko could overtake Rafa, one or two even Feds! I don't agree with either but what do you think?
Djoko can certainly equal Nadal..overtaking I doubt it .

Tenez

Back to top Go down

How many slams will the current crop end up on? Empty Re: How many slams will the current crop end up on?

Post by legendkillar Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:40 pm

Well I see next year as Federer's last shot. Nadal I think is finished at the Slams. Djokovic I think will get closer to Sampras/Nadal.

Federer - 18. Hoping either Wimbledon or US Open
Nadal - 14. Needs a lot going for him to win another
Djokovic - 14. I reckon another AO a FO and a couple of USO.
Murray - 3. It's all but his body keeping him in contention. I think he could nick another Wimbledon.
Stan - 4. I can see him winning a couple more. Deffo the AO and USO.
Delpo - 1. Totally done.

The others, meh. Nishikori/Dimitrov/Raonic have really failed to make an impact at the Slams. Dimi has fallen off a cliff and Nishi seems injured all the time and Raonic has a mind of glass.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:12 pm

Federer 17
Nadal 15
Djokovic 13
Murray 2
Stan 3
Delpo Unknown - depends if he can return.  If he can and stay fit, he should certainly win another.

Daniel

Back to top Go down

Post by Autumnleaf Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:59 pm

The big question for me is who would win the slams if Djokovic won't win them. Can Wawrinka snatch one more? It's possible imho at either the AO or the FO, even both. Fed won't win another one; Nadal is unlikely too, I doubt his tinkering with his game will show much success; I can't see Murray winning another one either, he got lucky enough with the 2 he's got.

The younger generation has disappointed so far, time for them to step up, but hard to predict the manner in which they will do it. The only finalists so far have been Cilic and Nishikori and both couldn't back up their success this year. Raonic and Dimitrov, last year's SFists have disappointed as well. None of the group could even win a MS1000 with Raonic/Nishikori being the only finalists.

So I am going for Djokovic (can come close to Nadal), Wawrinka (max. +2) and surprise winners.

Autumnleaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:04 pm

I cannot see Stan beating Fed anytime soon..unless the conds are dead slow. Once again as I predicted Fed is a much more solid player.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:06 pm

I have not written Dimi off yet. He played very well in that USO and was a bit unlucky to lose to KA. I expect him to get back to winning ways. However I think he lacks professionalism. Maybe he can improve from that.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:26 pm

Autumnleaf wrote:The big question for me is who would win the slams if Djokovic won't win them. Can Wawrinka snatch one more? It's possible imho at either the AO or the FO, even both. Fed won't win another one; Nadal is unlikely too, I doubt his tinkering with his game will show much success; I can't see Murray winning another one either, he got lucky enough with the 2 he's got.

The younger generation has disappointed so far, time for them to step up, but hard to predict the manner in which they will do it. The only finalists so far have been Cilic and Nishikori and both couldn't back up their success this year. Raonic and Dimitrov, last year's SFists have disappointed as well. None of the group could even win a MS1000 with Raonic/Nishikori being the only finalists.

So I am going for Djokovic (can come close to Nadal), Wawrinka (max. +2) and surprise winners.

I don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility for Nadal to get another - especially at the French Open. I don't think Djokovic will ever win there.

Daniel

Back to top Go down

Post by Autumnleaf Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:48 pm

It's not beyond the realms of possibility, he could get lucky, but it's highly unlikely. His athletic prime is likely over and he probably won't be able to improve his game enough. His game is highly inefficient, the amount of energy he spends is unbelievable. 

He will have a hard time keeping that up and it showed this year. Next year he will be 30, it won't get easier.

Autumnleaf

Back to top Go down

Post by luvsports! Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:54 pm

Dimi lost to Kukushkin Tenez.

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:23 am

FedererKing wrote:I don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility for Nadal to get another - especially at the French Open.  I don't think Djokovic will ever win there.
Right that's your opinion but how can you back it up? Djoko and Murray creamed Nadal last time they played on clay.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:25 am

luvsports! wrote:Dimi lost to Kukushkin Tenez.
Oh yeah. Good point. I was thinking of Thiem. However It was still a very close match. Dimi has great shots, but he gives too many UEs freely.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:55 am

Tenez wrote:
FedererKing wrote:I don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility for Nadal to get another - especially at the French Open.  I don't think Djokovic will ever win there.
Right that's your opinion but how can you back it up? Djoko and Murray creamed Nadal last time they played on clay.

I can't back that particular opinion up.  It wasn't meant to be backed up.  It's based on trends and figures and current play.  Intuition.  If I am right, that's good.  And if I am wrong, that's bad.  Unlike some of the other debates, where there is overwhelming evidence.  This simply isn't one of those debates.

Imho, Nadal is at a level on clay where he can win the French Open again.  And Novak has blown it.  Also, my statements there are presented as purely opinion.  What isn't opinion is that the massive odds are stacked against Djokovic due to physical decline which will have rapid onset any time now. He may do what few players have and win into 29 or 30... but that will be best case scenario for him. Next year's French Open will be his last chance, and I think the chance has already flown.

Daniel

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:16 am

It's not easy to answer...as things seem to be changing with courts becoming faster (at least they did in US this summer).

Nole could win many, but it depends on his body.

People underestimate how physical and taxing tennis is at the moment, and he is playing a lot of matches.

If the bottleneck of slow conditions gets cleared, then younger players could have a chance to catch up quicker and if nothing else, become banana-skins like Kyrgios was in Wimbledon 14.

That way, others (Stan, Fed, Murray) may have a chance to win slams.

Not sure about Nishi any more...unless he has been badly injured in US, hard to see him win big titles with so little heart.

Dimi...still needs a weapon. His BH is not good enough for baseline tennis.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Autumnleaf Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:08 pm

One thing is for sure: Djokovic has set his sights on the record, so he believes that he has a fair chance to get it. In that regard the USO final on sunday was of huge importance for him.

Autumnleaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:17 pm

Autumnleaf wrote:One thing is for sure: Djokovic has set his sights on the record, so he believes that he has a fair chance to get it. In that regard the USO final on sunday was of huge importance for him.
Where does he say that?

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by luvsports! Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:20 pm

Seconded.

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Autumnleaf Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:41 pm

"Surpassing Federer’s record total of 17 majors once seemed implausible, but at this stage, it simply seems daunting.

“I would not be truthful to you if I would say I’m not thinking about it,” Djokovic said. “Of course I am.”

“If I keep taking care of my body and have this kind of a mind-set where I keep the same lifestyle, I think it will give me longevity, and if it gives me longevity, I think I have a fair chance to fight for a few more Grand Slams,” he said.

Djokovic can see himself playing, like Federer or Serena Williams, into his mid-30s. “It’s kind of a game to me now, kind of a quest, seeing how far I can go,” he said."

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/15/sports/tennis/novak-djokovics-winning-strategy-mind-over-chatter.html

Tipsarevic has mentioned as well that Djokovic aims to go for the record.

“If you ask me personally, his goal, even though it seems far from now, is to pass Federer,I think that his goal is to be the best player of all time."

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2015/04/15/Djokovic-142-Weeks-No-1-Emirates-ATP-Rankings.aspx

Autumnleaf

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:52 pm

This is what he actually said:
=================================
- Verujem u to da se sve dešava sa razlogom. Da sam ja dobio meč u Parizu protiv Vavrinke, samo Bog zna da li bih pobedio u Vimbldonu. Možda je to bila neka ravnoteža -

- Nadam se da ćemo iduće godine pred US Open da vodimo drugačiji razgovor jer ću imati tri grend slem titule osvojene. Ali važno je ostati skroman i ići uvek korak po korak

- Lagao bih ako vam kažem da ne želim da preteknem Nadala ili Samprasa. Ali treba znati da Rafa još uvek igra i naravno da ima šanse da osvoji još neki gren slem pehar. Želim da uživam na terenu i ukoliko nastavim da radim ovako imam dobre šanse da postanem vlasnik još nekih titula.
==================================

"I believe everything happens for a reason. Had I won the match against Wawrinka in Paris, God knows if I'd've won Wimbledon. Maybe it balanced out.

I hope we'll have a different conversation after next year's USO, because I will have won three slam titles.
But it's important to remain humble and always take one step at a time.

I would lie if I said I don't want to overtake Sampras and Nadal. We know Nadal is still playing and has a chance to win more grand slam trophies.
I would like to enjoy myself on the court, and if I continue to work like this I have a good chance of winning some more titles."

=====================================================

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Autumnleaf Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:23 pm

The part I quoted was from an interview the author of the article held in a car and in Central Park. Maybe the part you quoted comes from remarks to another interviewer.

What Fed says on Djokovic's chances:

"How many major titles do you think he can win? He has 10 now.

ROGER FEDERER: I think he's playing very well. Are you kidding me? I think he's doing really well. He's having a wonderful season, like in 2011. He's just really consistent. Seems like there are not many guys that can hang with him, don't have the tools or dare to go forward, or they aren't dare to serve and volley against him because he's so good on the return. Which he is. He's perfected his game on the hard courts, no doubt about it.
He was always a great clay-court player, and because he moves as well as he does, he's solid and consistent now on the grass.
To say the least, it's very impressive. He's having unbelievable career. You know, I think everybody knows that he knows that, as well. Tonight is another example of that.
Clearly he can win many of them. He already has a ton, so obviously he's got to stay healthy and all that stuff and hungry, but obviously you would think he will win more after tonight."

It's clear that he doesn't believe that there players who can challenge Djokovic on a regular basis. I agree with that assessment.

Autumnleaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:54 pm

Autumnleaf wrote:One thing is for sure: Djokovic has set his sights on the record, so he believes that he has a fair chance to get it. In that regard the USO final on sunday was of huge importance for him.

He can believe what he likes. Human biology trumps what old Novak thinks.

Daniel

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:50 am

Federer - I say 17 but could be more.  He is running out of time and he needs things to go well for him to win.  That said, he looked really good this summer and I like the way he has reorganized his game.  If he can keep it up, 18 or maybe even 19 could happen.  Still, my best guess is 17.

Nadal - I say 15.  Hard to guess with Nadal.  It is not clear to me why his game collapsed so much this year.  Is he running out of gas or will he come back next year?  If he comes back strong, he could perhaps win another 3-4 slams but if the current slide is the sign of things to come, then he might get stuck on 14.  I am guessing the decline is more-or-less permanent but give him 1 slam maybe at RG.

Novak - I say 12-13.  Again, hard to tell, could be more, but I just do not believe he can keep it up that much longer, and doing 2+ slams per year is hard regardless.  Then again, I thought he would not get to 10.

Murray.  I guess he will remain at 2, but would not be shocked if he were to win one more somewhere.

Stan.  I expect he will remain at 2 but would be happy to be wrong.  Delpo I think will remain at 1 - do not see him coming back strong again.

From the younger generation, I am still hoping Dimi can salvage something and win a slam or a few.  I saw him against Andy (was it in Cincy?) and he looked to be getting better again.  At his best, he is able to play on just about even terms against the big guys, so the potential is there, but I am not so sure anymore if he will ever realize it.

Thiem I think looks good too.  Kyrgios, if he keeps focused, I am sure will win some slams - more so than any other youngster.  I finally saw Coric properly in his match against Rafa at the USO and I was disappointed in him - his game looked rather lightweight.  Rafa was playing quite poorly early on and Coric was not able to make impact anyway.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down