Search
 
 

Display results as :
 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What now for Roger?
Moral Dilemma EmptyToday at 9:50 am by bogbrush

» Slam chase
Moral Dilemma EmptyTue Jul 16, 2019 12:46 pm by barrystar

» Wimbledon Day 13, Sunday 14th July
Moral Dilemma EmptyTue Jul 16, 2019 7:03 am by raiders_of_the_lost_ark

» Generation Worthless
Moral Dilemma EmptyMon Jul 15, 2019 3:09 pm by naxroy

» Wimbledon seeding is disrespectful, says Rafael Nadal
Moral Dilemma EmptyMon Jul 15, 2019 1:15 pm by barrystar

» Women final
Moral Dilemma EmptySat Jul 13, 2019 4:54 pm by bogbrush

» Wimbledon Day 11, Friday 12th July
Moral Dilemma EmptySat Jul 13, 2019 12:10 pm by paulcz

» Wimbledon Day 9, Wednesday 10th July
Moral Dilemma EmptyThu Jul 11, 2019 9:21 pm by Tenez

» Wimbledon Day 10, Thursday 11th July
Moral Dilemma EmptyThu Jul 11, 2019 4:19 pm by Jahu

July 2019
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031    

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum


Moral Dilemma

Go down

Moral Dilemma Empty Moral Dilemma

Post by summerblues on Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:47 pm

This happened yesterday on a quite full grandstand where the seating is first-come-first-served.

A family of three was watching the match when the mother and their young son left at a changeover (presumably restroom break or to grab some food?).  The father stayed put.  At a subsequent changeover – before they returned – a couple came in, saw the two seats, and wanted to sit there.  When the father told them the seats were taken, the man in the couple said that the seats could not be reserved and they seated themselves there anyway.

What is your view on this situation?

summerblues

Posts : 4706
Join date : 2012-05-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Moral Dilemma Empty Re: Moral Dilemma

Post by noleisthebest on Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:50 pm

I don't know what it's like in USO, but in Wimbledon people (with ground passes) queue for hours to get in no-show courts, stewards let people in during changeovers, based on how many go out.
So there is no dilemma there - if you leave your seat - it's free to take.

That's the whole point of ground passes as. Opposed to seated, numbered tickets - to give everyone a chance.

noleisthebest

Posts : 27759
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Moral Dilemma Empty Re: Moral Dilemma

Post by summerblues on Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:04 pm

noleisthebest wrote:I don't know what it's like in USO, but in Wimbledon people (with ground passes) queue for hours to get in no-show courts, stewards let people in during changeovers, based on how many go out.
So there is no dilemma there - if you leave your seat - it's free to take.

That's the whole point of ground passes as. Opposed to seated, numbered tickets - to give everyone a chance.
It is sort of similar here - and at some smaller courts it literally works out the way you describe - 5 people leave so stewards let 5 people in and all is clear.

But Grandstand is a bit too big for that and stewards usually do not literally count the number of people in and out.

I must say I was not quite sure what I thought of that interaction yesterday (it continued for a while and was at times entertaining as both sides made it very clear they felt they were right).  My thought was that both guys were jerks to some extent.  If I were to come in and someone told me they already had a wife and kid sitting there I would have probably made more effort to find another seat.  On the other hand, if I were the one who was holding the seats and someone claimed the right to sit there, I probably would not challenge it either - sort of on the same grounds you describe.

summerblues

Posts : 4706
Join date : 2012-05-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Moral Dilemma Empty Re: Moral Dilemma

Post by summerblues on Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:06 pm

noleisthebest wrote:queue for hours to get in no-show courts
...except that in the USO the queuing for no-show courts is typically not in hours. Is it really hours at W?

summerblues

Posts : 4706
Join date : 2012-05-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Moral Dilemma Empty Re: Moral Dilemma

Post by noleisthebest on Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:10 pm

summerblues wrote:
noleisthebest wrote:queue for hours to get in no-show courts
...except that in the USO the queuing for no-show courts is typically not in hours.  Is it really hours at W?
I queued over an hour to see Kyrgios vs Monaco on court 18.
In week two it's even worse.
But usually it's not that bad.

noleisthebest

Posts : 27759
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Moral Dilemma Empty Re: Moral Dilemma

Post by summerblues on Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:17 pm

Ok, that sounds worse than the USO. For example I have pretty much never had to queue to get on court 17 (incl matches such as Nishikori vs Mayer last year or Anderson vs Thiem last night) - which is the fourth most important court after Ashe, Armstrong and Grandstand.

The queue on Armstrong can be 1hr+ if a really high profile match is going on.

summerblues

Posts : 4706
Join date : 2012-05-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Moral Dilemma Empty Re: Moral Dilemma

Post by Tenez on Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:32 pm

summerblues wrote:This happened yesterday on a quite full grandstand where the seating is first-come-first-served.

A family of three was watching the match when the mother and their young son left at a changeover (presumably restroom break or to grab some food?).  The father stayed put.  At a subsequent changeover – before they returned – a couple came in, saw the two seats, and wanted to sit there.  When the father told them the seats were taken, the man in the couple said that the seats could not be reserved and they seated themselves there anyway.

What is your view on this situation?
Difficult. I think you go you lose your seats. When I watched the "longest match in history" (Isner/Mahut) I was craving for a drink. It was the 2nd day and start of the 5th, players were at 17/18 and we inside did not realise as much of the buzz going on outside though we coudl see the commentators queuing in to see it as well (McEnroe, Wilander, etc..). I finally gave up and went outside....to realise there were 100s of people queuing trying to get it. No chance I would have claimed my right to the seat, even if I was sitting next to my wife. You watch as long as you can and then...too bad. We are 7 billion on earth today. I wish it was different but that's how it is.

Tenez

Posts : 20191
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Moral Dilemma Empty Re: Moral Dilemma

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum