Our Tennis Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» I Just Can't Help Believing!
Tennis Fan(atics): Shhhhhhh!!! EmptySat Mar 23, 2024 9:00 pm by noleisthebest

» The Bullshit of Rafael Nadal
Tennis Fan(atics): Shhhhhhh!!! EmptyMon Feb 12, 2024 12:15 am by Daniel2

» Why Trump's 'tough' stance on radical Islam... could lead to more terrorism
Tennis Fan(atics): Shhhhhhh!!! EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:32 am by Daniel2

» Missing Madeline 10 years on..
Tennis Fan(atics): Shhhhhhh!!! EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:31 am by Daniel2

» '15 Dubious Weak Era Records'
Tennis Fan(atics): Shhhhhhh!!! EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:06 am by Daniel2

» AO 2024 - Sinner baby!!
Tennis Fan(atics): Shhhhhhh!!! EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:05 am by Daniel2

» Paris Masters
Tennis Fan(atics): Shhhhhhh!!! EmptyMon Nov 06, 2023 9:47 pm by noleisthebest

» Alvarez could bring me back to tennis
Tennis Fan(atics): Shhhhhhh!!! EmptyWed Sep 20, 2023 10:25 am by raiders_of_the_lost_ark

» IDEMOOOOOOO! ! ! !
Tennis Fan(atics): Shhhhhhh!!! EmptyMon Sep 11, 2023 9:47 am by noleisthebest

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

Tennis Fan(atics): Shhhhhhh!!!

4 posters

Go down

Tennis Fan(atics): Shhhhhhh!!! Empty Tennis Fan(atics): Shhhhhhh!!!

Post by noleisthebest Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:17 pm

I have always found fanaticism among tennis lovers an intriguing phenomenon.
What is it that makes us cross emotional border and neglect reason for a while?

It all started with Borg-mania, then went quiet for a while only to explode back with a vengeance through Fedal rivalry.

Who is more nuts: Nadal or Federer fans?

Obviously, the nature of following both players is very different, just like the players themselves.

Through my live watching experience, I have found Nadal fans to be shy, unimaginative harmless and almost childlike, whereas Federer fans much deeper and potent.

When he walked in O2 to play Stan last November, the energy and awe of standing audience swept me over like a strong gust.
I have never experienced anything like it: the almost militant, ruthless passion, I seriously felt like I was in some cult conference!

Here's an intersting take on it from S. Tignor:

Roger Federer's traditionalist appeal has garnered him a following that's more dedicated than any in the sport. (AP)
We may never know who the world’s biggest Roger Federer fan is. To find this fervently and perhaps frighteningly devoted individual, we would need to survey the 14 million people who have made Federer their friend on Facebook, the 2.8 million people who follow him on Twitter, the 350,000 registered users at his website, rogerfederer.com, and the millions more who, unfortunately for his opponents, make the Swiss Maestro feel as if he’s playing tennis at home even when he’s thousands of miles away from it.

We might also need to investigate Brazil. After visiting the country for the first time, in 2012, Federer told the Swiss paper Tages Anzeiger, “I met more fans that collapsed in tears than elsewhere. It was amazing how many were shaking. I had to practically take them in my arms and say, ‘It’s OK, it’s OK.’”

Yet even among that globe-spanning cross-section of humanity, Michele Drohan, a Massachusetts native and Manhattan resident who has never set foot in Switzerland nor spoken with Federer face-to-face, says she “automatically wins any contest in which someone tells me they’re a bigger Federer fan.” Her trump card? The “RF” logo she has tattooed on the inside of her left wrist.

“I got it the day Fed won the French Open in 2009,” she says, while admitting that a celebratory beverage or two may have played a role in the decision. “My friends and family actually think it’s great, or so they say. Of course, there are a few people who think it’s nuts.”

The tennis nut is not a new phenomenon, but fans of today’s players have made the term seem more apt than ever. The sport’s current crop of likable, durable superstars—Federer, Rafael Nadal, Novak Djokovic, Serena Williams, Maria Sharapova, Caroline Wozniacki, Ana Ivanovic, and others—have inspired impassioned communities of followers on social media and given the game’s enthusiasts a new, collective, sometimes obsessive voice. Few, if any, sports are better suited to the Internet; in any given location, tennis fans may be sparse, but they can be found in virtually every country. And when it comes to the most famous player, Federer and his traditionalist appeal know no boundaries.

Just ask Colleen Taylor, who works in IT software in Dallas. Taylor has been a tennis fan since 1976, the year she turned on the Wimbledon final and caught a glimpse of Bjorn Borg and his long, blond hair flying across Centre Court. But her crush on Borg was just a warm-up for the deeper involvement with Federer, and his extended family of fans, that Taylor has developed over the last decade.

“I started to follow him when he won Wimbledon for the first time [in 2003],” Taylor says. “I thought, ‘This guy is different, the things he can do with a racquet, he’s a throwback.’ But it wasn’t until he lost to [Marat] Safin at the Australian Open in 2005 that I realized how much I cared. It was so devastating, and I thought, ‘Uh oh, I really like this guy.’”

Taylor knew the symptoms, and she knew where they would lead—to a lot more cleaning and a lot less eating.

“If Roger played an epic match every day,” she says, “I would be a size zero and my house would be immaculate. Watching on TV, I’m a wreck, and the commentary drives me crazy when he plays. I don’t know why, but I have to mute it. In the Wimbledon final [last year], I had to walk away completely.”

Taylor may have kept these facts mostly to herself, though, if she hadn’t discovered an online universe whose citizens knew exactly how she felt. “It was nice to find a bunch of people who didn’t think I was crazy,” she says with a laugh.

Taylor’s virtual community soon became a real one, and she’s now something of a celebrity among the Federer faithful. She has met up with fellow Fed fanatics at ATP Masters 1000 tournaments in Indian Wells, Cincinnati and Miami, where she unveiled the first SHH!! QUIET! GENIUS AT WORK banners that can now be seen at virtually every Federer match, tucked into a (not-so-quiet) corner of the stadium.

Taylor has twice served as the “courier” for what’s known among Federer-ites as the “Red Envelope.” Since 2003, fans on his website have been sending in good-luck messages before each tournament he plays. These are pasted into a red envelope with an official sticker and handed to Federer, who knows all about the tradition, by someone traveling to the event.

What’s the man behind the Maestro like? Not surprisingly, Taylor was a bit tongue-tied when she met him for the first time.

“But he made it easy,” she says, “because he looks at you and talks to you. He really does care what you think. He really has an inner light.”

What is it about Federer, a mild-mannered family man from a famously non-committal country, that inspires this kind of devotion? First, we might want to ask what makes being a tennis fan such a uniquely intense experience.

In an individual, international sport like tennis, who you root for is a matter of personal preference. With team sports, we tend to stay local and stick by our hometown. Tennis fans are free to choose anyone from anywhere; national borders don’t matter to those of us who follow the game closely. Supporting a tennis player is often instinctive and difficult to explain, yet it expresses something about us.

In no other sport do we catch every grunt, sigh, smile, twitch, fist-pump, eye-roll, lip curl, hair flick, look of fear and jump of joy the way we do when we watch tennis players on TV. Seeing them for hours at a time, close-up, in our homes, we can feel as if they’ve become a member of the family. Federer’s fans have watched him grow up over the past 15 years, from a pony-tailed teenage metalhead who loved pro wrestling to a slickly-coiffed Rolex-and-champagne spokesman with four children.

For Drohan, being a Fed fan feels personal. She doesn’t mingle or commiserate with an online community, and even believes that Federer “takes the rap” at times for his followers, whose fanaticism has helped inflate his status to saint-like proportions and given him an unwarranted reputation for arrogance.

“I think some of that is transferred from his fans to him,” Drohan says. “I’ve always found his humility charming. He’s really pretty guileless.”

But Drohan echoes other Federer fans when she describes his appeal. While she loves the flair in his game, and she’s thankful that he “saved tennis from the [Lleyton] Hewitt era,” she’s more impressed with how he carries himself as a person.

“He represents the game well,” she says. “He plays fair, he doesn’t look up to his box and he connects well with his fans. I guess I’m proud of the way he conducts himself. He embodies what I think an athlete should be.”

A similar phrase comes up often when you talk to other Federer fans: “He plays the game the way it was meant to be played.” Where he was once a throwback, Federer, with his one-handed backhand and net-rushing style, now looks like the sport’s one remaining connection to how it was played in the last century. Federer has always been a crowd favorite—during the Open era, only Borg has been as universally popular—but the audiences have become bigger and more vocally partisan as he has reached his 30s and begun to succumb to the vulnerabilities of age. He’s still the great one, but now he’s a little like us, too.

Among the Grand Slam nations, the theme that unites Federer fans is his sense of tradition—one that’s versatile enough that each country can see him as part of its own history. In Australia, they love him for the respect that he shows for their tennis legends. “Roger is revered here,” says Courtney Walsh, a sportswriter for The Australian, “and I think the main aspect is the respect he has for the game and Australia’s part in it. As a colleague of mine said, 'When Federer broke down in front of Rod Laver a few years back, it was as if he had become one of us.'”

In England, “he fits the image Wimbledon has of itself,” says one London tennis fan. The tournament, in its own eyes, is tennis in its highest and purest form, and Federer also personifies that. “I always remember Sue Barker [of the BBC] saying joyfully, ‘Has there ever been a more elegant champion?’”

In Paris, through his words and his artist’s touch on court, Federer shows that he’s fluent in the languages of the French. “Roger, yes, he’s a god in France,” says Carole Bouchard, a freelance tennis writer who was formerly with the French sports daily L'Equipe. “His elegance speaks to classic tennis fans. We cut off our king’s head, but we’re still deeply attached to traditions.” At Roland Garros in 2012, Federer screamed at his Parisian faithful to “Shut up!” and stop distracting him. But they went right on paying tribute to their god.

The latter incident points to the way Federer’s elegant image has become a given at this stage in his career. He’s been presented that way for so long that any discordant notes he might strike are washed away with his next display of shot-making brilliance.

That presentation isn’t a phony one. There’s a reason that his fellow players have made Federer the president of the ATP’s player council, and given him the tour’s Sportsmanship Award 10 times. But his strengths have also been judiciously marketed, first by IMG and now through his own agency. It's an image that, like Federer's game, is nothing if not versatile. At the 2007 US Open, “Darth Federer” was born when Nike created black tuxedo shorts for him to wear during night matches. “I thought it really looks cool,” said Federer of his attire. “In New York you can do such a thing. Nowhere else in the world.”

He has worn a white jacket on Centre Court. He’s sponsored by Rolex, Moët & Chandon, Credit Suisse, Mercedes-Benz and Lindt. He travels the world with an entourage that can resemble a small army. If Borg was the right player for the rock-star age, Federer is the right player for our new Gilded Age.

How does Federer feel about being the object of all of this devotion? According to him, his life requires some compartmentalizing. “I have to constantly remind myself again about where I come from,” he told Tages Anzeiger in 2012, “and tell myself who I am. I also like the normal life—back to reality, family, friends, just quiet, please. And then sometimes I dip into the other incredible life I have.”

Federer’s most dedicated fans often see a less-branded and more down-to-earth version of the man in their interactions with him. Like the Queen, Federer sends his fans a Christmas message on his website, thanking them for their support. He says their passion continues to motivate him, especially at smaller events. Near the end of 2013, his most frustrating season, when early-round losses and a back injury had many speculating that he might retire, Federer said he was inspired by the energy of the Chinese fans who came to see him practice in Shanghai.

“I expected some people to be there,” Federer said at the time, “but not hanging over the fence and holding up a banner, ‘I believe in you’. It gives me unbelievable motivation, inspires me to train hard, work hard, push further.”

For Colleen Taylor, it was hard to see Federer relinquish the grip he had on the game when he was at his best, and hard to see him begin the long, inevitable decline every champion faces.

“I went through a period of mourning,” she says. “But now I feel like I was lucky to be around for his prime, and I’m OK with whatever happens. I’ll enjoy what’s left, because there won’t be anyone like him for a long time.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Tennis Fan(atics): Shhhhhhh!!! Empty Re: Tennis Fan(atics): Shhhhhhh!!!

Post by Tenez Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:48 pm

How does Federer feel about being the object of all of this devotion? According to him, his life requires some compartmentalizing. “I have to constantly remind myself again about where I come from,” he told Tages Anzeiger in 2012, “and tell myself who I am. I also like the normal life—back to reality, family, friends, just quiet, please. And then sometimes I dip into the other incredible life I have.”
======================
That's interesting..and shows how it must be a big effort to keep a cool normal head.

I must say that when I watched him live and sometimes from very close by, I had the feeling I had met a modern Mozart, Bethoven,  Shakespeare or Hugo...in his own way.  

Someone with a mission with an extra-terrestrial force accompanying him. In short a genius of the rarest kind.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:54 pm

Yes...I believe summed up well in this paragraph:

"The specific thesis here is that if you’ve never seen the young man play live, and then do, in person, on the sacred grass of Wimbledon, through the literally withering heat and then wind and rain of the ’06 fortnight, then you are apt to have what one of the tournament’s press bus drivers describes as a “bloody near-religious experience.” It may be tempting, at first, to hear a phrase like this as just one more of the overheated tropes that people resort to to describe the feeling of Federer Moments. But the driver’s phrase turns out to be true — literally, for an instant ecstatically — though it takes some time and serious watching to see this truth emerge.

Beauty is not the goal of competitive sports, but high-level sports are a prime venue for the expression of human beauty. The relation is roughly that of courage to war.

The human beauty we’re talking about here is beauty of a particular type; it might be called kinetic beauty. Its power and appeal are universal. It has nothing to do with sex or cultural norms. What it seems to have to do with, really, is human beings’ reconciliation with the fact of having a body."

From the article written about him in 2008. Probably the finest piece ever written on tennis and of Federer:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/20/sports/playmagazine/20federer.html?pagewanted=all&_r=1&

Last edited by noleisthebest on Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:06 pm

Tenez wrote:How does Federer feel about being the object of all of this devotion? According to him, his life requires some compartmentalizing. “I have to constantly remind myself again about where I come from,” he told Tages Anzeiger in 2012, “and tell myself who I am. I also like the normal life—back to reality, family, friends, just quiet, please. And then sometimes I dip into the other incredible life I have.”
======================
That's interesting..and shows how it must be a big effort to keep a cool normal head.

I must say that when I watched him live and sometimes from very close by, I had the feeling I had met a modern Mozart, Bethoven,  Shakespeare or Hugo...in his own way.  

Someone with a mission with an extra-terrestrial force accompanying him. In short a genius of the rarest kind.

Yes, and that is not an easy thing to do. Sign of intelligence.
He surely has been given more than one talent in abundance. Even the ability to look after them all is a talent in itself.

I'll never forget seeing him live first time, and fortunately it was from close by. For me then it was a hearing experience...the sounds that came of his strings, esp on the backhand.

The fact Nadal was on the other side was actually completely irrelevant.
When you watch him, you are drawn into his dimension.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:52 pm

The nice thing about Federer phenomenon is that it's not been a static experience.
Over the years, he's been smoothed like a pebble by the sea waves.

And there are so many facets he comes through.
The very fact his play is able to form and draw such strong universal emotion is special.

Over and over.

Just like every tennis ball we hit is never the same, so all those spectacular shots and volleys can't fail to produce a little heartstop.

It's great we could enjoy him in real time, not watch him on old Youtube clips.

Therefore that dreadful 2013 when journalists were trying to bury him alive was particularly poignant in his 2014 comeback statement.

He did it the analogue way Winking

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:35 am

Yep....can he surprise us one last time?

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:33 am

It would be so right!

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:10 am

My experience of both sets of fans is that to some degree some quarters of fans are fanatical. Without a doubt. With Borg I didn't get the sense of tribalism. It was only when McEnroe came along that Borg fans took a real personal sense to his challenge of Borg.

When Federer burst on the scene it was like a word of mouth thing. I can say with great honesty I would say to anyone who hadn't watched tennis, you got to see this guy. It's genius. I hadn't really done that with any other player. I admit I am more biased to British players and in general British sport. However, every so often someone comes along and you just stand back and admire and hope others do the same too.

Federer plays the game like no-one before him and think it was widely anticipated that the only way acceptable way to beat him was with the same grace and genius he displays. Then Nadal showed up. Didn't display the grace or genius of Federer and I think the brand of tennis that he used to beat Federer really got under the skin of many Federer fans.

Nadal fanatics I find are screaming girls and middle aged women. I have been in the presence of some when he has practiced or played. It's disturbing, though no different to some of Borg's followers. That has to be accepted for some athletes that fill a gap of desire to some Winking

One thing the more astute fanatic on either players side is they are united in excuse making. Neither loses when fit. It can never be the other guy played better on the day.

I have to say though (NITB might like this smiley) is that Djokovic fans are the less extreme of fan I have come across. I think because in achievement level Djokovic is looking upwards, he fills the middle spectrum of greatness which in some cases is the best place to be.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by luvsports! Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:45 am

Murdoch is way ahead of most in "fandom". 
Sonic wishes he was as on it.

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:53 am

LaughLaughLaugh

I like to think Murdoch is a bit less extreme in his bias. With his views on Djokovic I never find myself thinking cor that's going a bit extreme. Socal I never know whether to take serious or not.

Jahu is my favourite poster! The man is a drunken dyslexic mess!!

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:01 am

legendkillar wrote:
Federer plays the game like no-one before him and think it was widely anticipated that the only way acceptable way to beat him was with the same grace and genius he displays. Then Nadal showed up. Didn't display the grace or genius of Federer and I think the brand of tennis that he used to beat Federer really got under the skin of many Federer fans.
Very true. But that was the only way he was going to be beaten. What pissed me off at the time was pundits saying Nadal had a tennis brain... Tennis Fan(atics): Shhhhhhh!!! 2355573927 When it was anything but.

Nadal fanatics I find are screaming girls and middle aged women. I have been in the presence of some when he has practiced or played. It's disturbing, though no different to some of Borg's followers. That has to be accepted for some athletes that fill a gap of desire to some Winking
That's what so bizarre. I woudl expect young fans to behave like fans but here we have tons of middle aged women who see in nadal the "gentle bull", the sexiest of icons of course for those emasculating ladies.

One thing the more astute fanatic on either players side is they are united in excuse making. Neither loses when fit. It can never be the other guy played better on the day.
I can have time for that easily. If a player is better than the other one under such conditions, then an unexpected result can happen for a set of reasons (bad luck, bad niggle, tiredness, or else).

I have to say though (NITB might like this smiley) is that Djokovic fans are the less extreme of fan I have come across. I think because in achievement level Djokovic is looking upwards, he fills the middle spectrum of greatness which in some cases is the best place to be.
It's also difficult to be mad about that style of game! Winking

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:02 am

luvsports! wrote:Murdoch is way ahead of most in "fandom". 
Sonic wishes he was as on it.
We are missing info here.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by luvsports! Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:21 am

HM murdoch on 606v2. Great, balanced poster and a djoko fan.

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:22 am

Tenez wrote:
legendkillar wrote:
Very true. But that was the only way he was going to be beaten. What pissed me off at the time was pundits saying Nadal had a tennis brain... Tennis Fan(atics): Shhhhhhh!!! 2355573927 When it was anything but.

That's what so bizarre. I woudl expect young fans to behave like fans but here we have tons of middle aged women who see in nadal the "gentle bull", the sexiest of icons of course for those emasculating ladies.

I can have time for that easily. If a player is better than the other one under such conditions, then an unexpected result can happen for a set of reasons (bad luck, bad niggle, tiredness, or else).

It's also difficult to be mad about that style of game! Winking

I'd go along with those points.

I remember being at the O2 and some woman behind me just completely perving over Nadal the whole match and then masking it with a "Come on Rafa" I have been to many sporting events and that was the most cringe worthy. I avoid his matches if he is playing on day I go. It's like Take That fans of the 90's that follow Nadal! They were a depressive bunch too.

Though Tenbo this will make you laugh. Mrs LK bought her younger sisters down a couple of months back when it was Madrid and Nadal was playing on the TV and I was cooking and they don't watch tennis as religiously as me and as I went to check the scores and the younger of the 2 said "Oh my he is gorgeous" to which the older one snapped "No no no. All he does is picks his arse and fiddle with his shoelaces. Just serve the damn thing! I can't be having any of that!" I thought that was a wise observation given she doesn't even follow tennis!

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:26 am

luvsports! wrote:HM murdoch on 606v2. Great, balanced poster and a djoko fan.
Oh yes, I remember.....very nice indeed.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:30 am

legendkillar wrote:.... I thought that was a wise observation given she doesn't even follow tennis!
Exactly and ultimately what forced the ATP to apply a bit more of the rule. Thanks for that.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:57 am

I was a complete Nole nut fan.
The fandom was born in a poetic way, unexpected, out of nowhere and it took me on a fabulous ride.

(well documented on BBC606, v2, JA606 and tennis.com and of course - here! Winking )

I particularly enjoyed 2011, that was madness.

I wrote poems, Nole Watch(es), travelled to matches, yelled my heart out in support, coached him from the stands, I toasted to wins, I nursed a boil on my face after one particularly nasty loss to Nadal, I spent days behind the sofa, I walked like zombie on freezing January/February mornings after watching matchess in the middle of AO summer nights, I think I even shed a tear once or twice...

I deeply loved every minute of it. Every single high and low...

No regrets.

And now a bombshell of an announcement: that is all over now.  Tennis Fan(atics): Shhhhhhh!!! 3242797351

Ro regrets, either.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:01 pm

Tenez wrote:
luvsports! wrote:HM murdoch on 606v2. Great, balanced poster and a djoko fan.
Oh yes, I remember.....very nice indeed.

Yes, they even posted here briefly.
Don't know why they disappeared!

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:04 pm

Tenez wrote:
legendkillar wrote:.... I thought that was a wise observation given she doesn't even follow tennis!
Exactly and ultimately what forced the ATP to apply a bit more of the rule. Thanks for that.

Indeed. I have to say some of the shock horror from some Nadal fans that the rule is being more aggressively applied was comical. I have to say many fans did have their heads in the sand when he flouted the rule for years prior. I have to say I had a tolerance for it and still do I guess.

I think Murray's views and TV's at RG were refreshing. This was a guy who admitted he was playing a slow pace and took his TV's on the chin and supported the umpire for it. He quickened up during that match. Sadly I don't see the TV's being a complete deterrent to slow play unless a more severe punishment follows say 2-3 warnings.

There's the 2 sides to the argument. I see it as if the player gets penalised, thats it. The umpire is within his rights. Move on. Others (a select few) see that as other players play slow and don't get penalised so much as justification for the rule to be flouted and get enraged when Nadal is penalised. It's justified!! They need to get over it.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:05 pm

noleisthebest wrote:I was a complete Nole nut fan.
The fandom was born in a poetic way, unexpected, out of nowhere and it took me on a fabulous ride.

(well documented on BBC606, v2, JA606 and tennis.com and of course - here! Winking )

I wrote poems, Nole Watch(es), travelled to matches, yelled my heart out in support, coached him from the stands, I toasted to wins, I nursed a boil on my face after one particularly nasty loss to Nadal, I spent days behind the sofa, I walked like zombie on freezing January/February mornings after watching matchess in the middle of AO summer nights, I think I even shed a tear once or twice...

I deeply loved every minute of it. Every single high and low...

No regrets.

And now a bombshell of an announcement: that is all over now.  Tennis Fan(atics): Shhhhhhh!!! 3242797351

Ro regrets, either.

Toni lives on!! Winking

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:11 pm

On the topic of Nadal fans and time violation, how's this for a scary comment from a Nadal fan:

"What Nadal needs at the moment is the equivalent of Federer's "Swiss" army. A "Spanish" army.

Nadal is being targeted by the ATP with time violations on crucial points in matches. No way could the ATP treat Federer in a similar unfair way. His army of fans would leap to his defense."

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:16 pm

noleisthebest wrote:On the topic of Nadal fans and time violation, how's this for a scary comment from a Nadal fan:

"What Nadal needs at the moment is the equivalent of Federer's "Swiss" army. A "Spanish" army.

Nadal is being targeted by the ATP with time violations on crucial points in matches. No way could the ATP treat Federer in a similar unfair way. His army of fans would leap to his defense."

If Federer went over the time limit, they might actually have had a point!

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:10 pm

noleisthebest wrote:I was a complete Nole nut fan.

I wrote poems, Nole Watch(es), travelled to matches, yelled my heart out in support, coached him from the stands, I toasted to wins, I nursed a boil on my face after one particularly nasty loss to Nadal, I spent days behind the sofa, I walked like zombie on freezing January/February mornings after watching matchess in the middle of AO summer nights, I think I even shed a tear once or twice....
And we shoot him in full flight here. Sorry! Blush

But at least it is good to know there is a life after fandom!

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:13 pm

legendkillar wrote:
noleisthebest wrote:On the topic of Nadal fans and time violation, how's this for a scary comment from a Nadal fan:

If Federer went over the time limit, they might actually have had a point!
Actually, I think the Swiss has still an army of fans because of the way he plays tennis and conducts on court. So the answer is that Federer's army woudl not be that big were he a cheat.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down