Search
 
 

Display results as :
 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Keywords

GOAT  

Latest topics
» The Ultimate GOAT List
Today at 4:21 pm by noleisthebest

» This Is What A Feminist Looks Like
Today at 2:56 pm by bogbrush

» Race to London
Yesterday at 11:42 pm by naxroy

» Players popularity - What makes it?
Yesterday at 11:34 pm by Tenez

» Asian Swing 2017: Bejing/Tokyo & Shanghai
Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:42 pm by luvsports!

» Who Is Going To Be The Next Number One?
Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:18 pm by legendkillar

» One of the best match ever?
Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:24 am by Tenez

» Stefanos Tsitsipas
Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:13 am by noleisthebest

» Jelena Ostapenko
Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:26 pm by Jahu

October 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
      1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031     

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum


Federer: I am playing the best tennis of my career!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Federer: I am playing the best tennis of my career!

Post by noleisthebest on Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:44 am

Federer:

" For me, it was important trying to stay around for as long as possible because I do love the game. I'm happy the plan worked, that at 33 I'm still being super competitive and healthy and happy to be on tour.

I still believe I can improve my game ... I think you have to try to reinvent yourself. Tennis is actually one of those sports where I feel like you can always do better."



That's the spirit! love Bubbly
http://uk.reuters.com/article/2015/03/16/tennis-indian-federer-idUKL2N0WI08D20150316

noleisthebest

Posts : 24954
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Federer: I am playing the best tennis of my career!

Post by Tenez on Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:36 am

The first post is old news...all drawn from that Dubai's final match. In effect he says he is playing "some" of his best tennis. Which I woudl agree.....when he is fit.

The thing is he might be wrong, Pete might be wrong when he said the same, Wilander might be wrong when he said so about Federer recently, Cowan might be wrong too as many other commentators..but at least those who said the idea he was playing better in 2012 than in 2005 was "ludicrous" might think again!..They certainly should.

Federer is not stupid, he knows more than anyone on this forum than winning slams and playing your best don't have to go hand in hand. This is what Pete said himself.

Tenez

Posts : 17169
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Federer: I am playing the best tennis of my career!

Post by noleisthebest on Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:49 pm

Tenez wrote:The first post is old news...all drawn from that Dubai's final match. In effect he says he is playing "some" of his best tennis. Which I woudl agree.....when he is fit.

The thing is he might be wrong, Pete might be wrong when he said the same, Wilander might be wrong when he said so about Federer recently, Cowan might be wrong too as many other commentators..but at least those who said the idea he was playing better in 2012 than in 2005 was "ludicrous" might think again!..They certainly should.

Federer is not stupid, he knows more than anyone on this forum than winning slams and playing your best don't have to go hand in hand. This is what Pete said himself.

I only saw it today Blush

I can't find the full interview, but in b92 he said longevity is the main goal, not money.

" The reason I am competing at 33 is because I have planned it that way. Since I started working with Stephan (Viver, his ex physio) everything we did, we did in order to make my career last as long as possible.
I could have played more tournaments and earnt more, but I chose longevity before money.

In my beginnings, there were players like Kafelnikov who played 30 tournaments a year. I chose a different route."


What impresses me about him is how seamlessly he transitioned to physical era. He just took it in his stride and kept getting better.
Watching him play, you'd never know who's on the other side.


Last edited by noleisthebest on Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

noleisthebest

Posts : 24954
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Federer: I am playing the best tennis of my career!

Post by noleisthebest on Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:05 pm

I'd like to know how long Nole sees his career.

He's done well to keep injury free.

noleisthebest

Posts : 24954
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Federer: I am playing the best tennis of my career!

Post by noleisthebest on Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:14 pm

Also, watching Federer play last night, I could finally see him become one with the"new" racquet, he fully trusts it now.

There is absolutely no reason why he should not win Wimbledon this year, provided his back is fine.

noleisthebest

Posts : 24954
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Federer: I am playing the best tennis of my career!

Post by Tenez on Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:42 pm

noleisthebest wrote:I'd like to know how long Nole sees his career.

He's done well to keep injury free.
Yes...surprinsingly cause he covers lots of ground!

Tenez

Posts : 17169
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Federer: I am playing the best tennis of my career!

Post by noleisthebest on Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:57 pm

His thing is stretching...he's done it for the last 15 years, his joints must be very strong and durable for that.
Also, he doesn't carry too much weight.

I want to see him play Nadal on clay again. That's the real Nole for me, on the centre baseline with his FH absorbing all Nadal gives him, difusing it back.

He plays with real purpose and fearlessly then. He is so close to toppling him in RG. Then his mission as "nole is the best" would be complete!
It's got to happen this year. It just has!
(maybe if I repeat it enough times it will happen! Big Grin )

noleisthebest

Posts : 24954
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Federer: I am playing the best tennis of my career!

Post by Tenez on Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:19 pm

Djoko: I used to like watching ballet, and now I'm even enjoying it being on the dancing part. So we will see. We'll see. We like doing it. I did it because, you know, I wanted to spend some quality time with my wife, and I think that's something that maybe we as a couple can do more often in the future.
===========================
Nice of him....still in his hoenymoon period I guess.

Tenez

Posts : 17169
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Federer: I am playing the best tennis of my career!

Post by noleisthebest on Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:30 pm

I had the same thought when I saw it...

noleisthebest

Posts : 24954
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Federer: I am playing the best tennis of my career!

Post by DECIMA on Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:12 pm


DECIMA

Posts : 4429
Join date : 2013-05-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Federer: I am playing the best tennis of my career!

Post by Tenez on Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:53 pm

An eye opener for the 2006 tennis of Federer and Rafa.

Amongst other things, Rafa taking 40s everytime there are more than 3 sots rallies...How did they allow that? That was sending Federer completely off timing.

Tenez

Posts : 17169
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Federer: I am playing the best tennis of my career!

Post by Tenez on Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:23 am

It's funny I glanced over v2 and read a post where one poster is astound that Fed is still at number 2 with a 4/2 H2H over Djoko despite being nearly 34! They blame the lack of youngsters...nothing to do with Roger himself of course. erm  who kept declining since 2007.....according to some.

They'd be posting here, they'd not be as surprised....though I woudl have a very hard time trying to open the eyes of some.

Tenez

Posts : 17169
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Federer: I am playing the best tennis of my career!

Post by noleisthebest on Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:50 pm

I saw a thread there where someone is asking where you are posting, also Sirfredperry asking for other forums as his base one has disappeared...conveniently on the same thread LF mentioned every other forum except OTF.
I wonder why Winking

noleisthebest

Posts : 24954
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Federer: I am playing the best tennis of my career!

Post by Tenez on Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:57 pm

noleisthebest wrote:I saw a thread there where someone is asking where you are posting, also Sirfredperry asking for other forums as his base one has disappeared...conveniently on the same thread LF mentioned  every other forum except OTF.
I wonder why Winking
Oh really? As I said, it would be great to have some of them....but some others would not bring anything much here.

Woudl be good to have SirFred, Silver, BB, JM, Socal, but Haddie-Nuff can stay over there. CC is not particularly insightful either.

Tenez

Posts : 17169
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Federer: I am playing the best tennis of my career!

Post by DECIMA on Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:21 pm

noleisthebest wrote:I saw a thread there where someone is asking where you are posting, also Sirfredperry asking for other forums as his base one has disappeared...conveniently on the same thread LF mentioned  every other forum except OTF.
I wonder why Winking
I said anyone can PM me for the link to this forum, but of course I'm wary of posting it on v2 publicly because it is against the house rules.

DECIMA

Posts : 4429
Join date : 2013-05-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Federer: I am playing the best tennis of my career!

Post by noleisthebest on Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:55 pm

That's good of you, Kim! Thumbs Up

I just don't understand why it's fine to mention every other forum except OTF...

noleisthebest

Posts : 24954
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Federer: I am playing the best tennis of my career!

Post by DECIMA on Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:34 pm

I don't think you're allowed to put the hyperlink to any forum according to the house rules.
I've shown some people OTF, but they think it's just too one sided in general.

DECIMA

Posts : 4429
Join date : 2013-05-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Federer: I am playing the best tennis of my career!

Post by Tenez on Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:41 pm

The truth can often appear as such.

Tenez

Posts : 17169
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Federer: I am playing the best tennis of my career!

Post by noleisthebest on Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:46 pm

Kim Jong-Un wrote:I don't think you're allowed to put the hyperlink to any forum according to the house rules.
I've shown some people OTF, but they think it's just too one sided in general.

It's not the link, I think nobody is allowed to even type OTF. ghost

I can understand we are not everyone's taste, somehow we all managed to coexist on BBC606.

Some people are just interested in light, almost social chat, others prefer to get down to business Cool

noleisthebest

Posts : 24954
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Federer: I am playing the best tennis of my career!

Post by DECIMA on Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:54 pm

Tenez wrote:The truth can often appear as such.
Appear as what ?
It's clear though on this forum, there is not much disagreement of opinion amongst the vast majority of posters.

DECIMA

Posts : 4429
Join date : 2013-05-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Federer: I am playing the best tennis of my career!

Post by Tenez on Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:15 pm

Yes and Know....we are hardly in agreement. I feel everybody disgaree with each other here. However most of us certainly share a dislike of Nadal....but I also dislike Djoko and Murray and that does not prevent others to post here.

Tenez

Posts : 17169
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Federer: I am playing the best tennis of my career!

Post by Tenez on Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:25 pm

Q. If having a rival like Rafa helped and enhanced your legacy?
ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I mean, I think it's nice and it's good for the game to have rivalries, preferably a few, but you can only always focus on a couple probably.
But what I like about tennis is that you can have great careers side by side. If you looked at what happened the last ten years or so, Novak, myself, Rafa, also Murray and all the other guys, there are so many guys who did such great careers and we achieved so much, and at the same time.
So we really are very lucky to be in our sport, because we have unbelievable amount of highlights. In the beginning clearly I tried to fight it, to not accept it that he was my rival, that I did have a rival, because I was playing so well in 2004 and then '05.
But very quickly did I realize of course when he beat me the first time in Miami that this wasn't just a fluke. This was, you know, probably a legend in the making. You know, he's been around forever. He's created things that are just mind blowing. You know, Monaco record, French Open record, and many others.
Yeah, I think it's been actually very cool playing against him over all these years, and I'm sure it's made me a better player throughout. I hope I did a little bit of the same against him.
But for me, definitely I had to try to come up with different game plans, maybe practice with more lefties as I went along in my career, and that helped me to improve certain things in my game, for sure.

Tenez

Posts : 17169
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Federer: I am playing the best tennis of my career!

Post by Tenez on Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:27 pm

Q. Do you think all these rivals, not just him, but Novak and Andy, has helped you maintain such a high level at 33?
ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, maybe. Absolutely. Not just them. I think also very influential was the generation of my players that came up, you know, with Hewitt, Safin, Ferrer0, Roddick. I think we really pushed each other forward, same as the Rafa, Andy, Novak generation of those age players.
I think when you have that many great players at the same age you push yourself forward. So I think that's ‑‑I was lucky enough to have that when I came up. Then tried to separate myself from them, which was not really possible, I must say, because they were that great.
Then finally when I was world No. 1 the next wave rolled in. It's been always very interesting for me, and it kept me going and definitely motivated me to work harder. That's why I think I'm still so competitive till today.

Tenez

Posts : 17169
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Federer: I am playing the best tennis of my career!

Post by Tenez on Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:37 pm

Q. Do you feel based on the last week you're playing some of your very best tennis at the right time?
ROGER FEDERER: Yeah. I mean, no doubt. I played great in Dubai, great again this week. Because it's a tough stretch, in a way, if you don't play well there is a lot of time where you're either practicing, waiting, or just don't have any match play, which can be a problem down the road. So I'm very happy how well I'm playing. Feel good physically. Obviously I feel refreshed after the holiday. I'm serving well, which is always crucial.
Yeah, the racquet's working great still, so I'm very, very happy.
============================
"obviously not" according to some. Winking

Tenez

Posts : 17169
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Federer: I am playing the best tennis of my career!

Post by Tenez on Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:31 pm

I can't believe that in V2 most posters thought that Seppi beat a healthy Federer at the AO.


Tenez

Posts : 17169
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Federer: I am playing the best tennis of my career!

Post by noleisthebest on Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:17 am

Tenez wrote:I can't believe that in V2 most posters thought that Seppi beat a healthy Federer at the AO.


I can.
That's because they don't understand the change tennis went/keeps going through.

I have thought about it and came to conclusion that most tennis fans are not that mad about it, it's more players giving them the winning fix.
That's why they care about results only and measure everything through "success"..

It doesn't matter what tennis is like, so long as one guy wins (ideally "my" guy, of course) the match can last 10 dull hours.
Even better if records get broken in the process, hourraaah!!!

The most tragic thing, all these fans won't notice Federer's absence much. It's such a shame they don't understand how hard it is to play like he does.

I can only suggest they try it themselves. Once will do. Winking

noleisthebest

Posts : 24954
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Federer: I am playing the best tennis of my career!

Post by DECIMA on Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:28 pm

noleisthebest wrote:
Tenez wrote:I can't believe that in V2 most posters thought that Seppi beat a healthy Federer at the AO.


I can.
That's because they don't understand the change tennis went/keeps going through.

I have thought about it and came to conclusion that most tennis fans are not that mad about it, it's more players giving them the winning fix.
That's why they care about results only and measure everything through "success"..

It doesn't matter what tennis is like, so long as one guy wins (ideally "my" guy, of course) the match can last 10 dull hours.
Even better if records get broken in the process, hourraaah!!!

The most tragic thing, all these fans won't notice Federer's absence much. It's such a shame they don't understand how hard it is to play like he does.

I can only suggest they try it themselves. Once will do. Winking
?
How is that relevant at all to posters believing Federer wasn't injured at the Aus Open ?

Do you just have this stock response reserved for every time someone disagrees with you ?

DECIMA

Posts : 4429
Join date : 2013-05-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Federer: I am playing the best tennis of my career!

Post by noleisthebest on Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:42 pm

which part do you not understand?


noleisthebest

Posts : 24954
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Federer: I am playing the best tennis of my career!

Post by noleisthebest on Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:26 pm

I had a quick scan of Seppi Saga on v2...people mainly worried about looking right, I think.
So if they were to admit Federer lost because he was injured, then they pitentially have to admit he is playing his best tennis, and some are just unable to see he is, so it's hard to argue there.

All they see is how easily he was winning 10 years ago,mbut they don't take into account how much more physical tennis is now and that new generations are able to return many more balls, make rallies longer (i.e. physical) and disable/slow down attacking tennis.

It's not rocket science, even obvious to the naked eye when you watch old and new clips.

But if they can't see it, then it's their problem.
(I'm giving the, the be efit of the doubt that they can't rather than don't want to see)

Not the end of the world, of course...

noleisthebest

Posts : 24954
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Federer: I am playing the best tennis of my career!

Post by Tenez on Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:50 pm

It's often the case in forums to see a "herding" tendency. In fact it is not limited to forums but social groups in general.

The fear to be seen as weird or being cut out of the herd helps so much controlling the crowds. It is often down with "obvious" and unquestionable statements and sayings which prevent real thinking.

And yes Ws and Ls certainly influence their judgement considerably...but that's kind of normal....except that they don't wish to consider the role the essential role of opposition in tennis.

Tenez

Posts : 17169
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Federer: I am playing the best tennis of my career!

Post by Autumnleaf on Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:52 am

Roddick disagrees in his latest interview in the NYT. There are also some other interesting bits about age and players:


Q. You are 32. Federer is close to turning 34. Ivo Karlovic, who is 36, just reached the semifinals in Halle with his big serve. Honestly, do you ever have any second thoughts?

A. [Long pause.] This is just a moment of honesty. Once I stopped believing I could win a major, I didn’t want to continue. I won two of my last five events on tour, and you hate to say that wasn’t enough because you want to respect people that that would be a dream summer for. But it changed the way I wanted to be able to play a little bit. For me, going out and playing guys in practice sets that are still 30, 40, 50 in the world and kind of getting a barometer of where I would be, that is kind of enough for me. I have a pretty good understanding of where I would lay in the landscape of tennis right now.

Q. And it wouldn’t be deep in the second week of a major?

A. Deep is one thing. Getting to the second week is fine. But I don’t know how that changes my legacy. Wait, legacy is too big a word for me. How about my history in tennis? I don’t know how that changes anything. You are putting in 45 weeks and to stay in neutral, I don’t know that that’s what I wanted. I would never want to coast home. The way that I kind of narrowed talent margins with the guys I was trying to beat — and I didn’t beat them very often — was just through working and being a psychopath about that.

At a certain point, my body couldn’t do it.
 You look at Jim Courier. He did the same thing. Lleyton Hewitt did the same thing, and his body has been touch-and-go for a while. You are starting to see it with Rafa [Nadal] a little bit more maybe.

It takes its toll with the guys who kind of have to narrow the margin by being physical. I don’t have any regrets about when I walked away. Do I have an ego about playing guys now that are ranked a certain level and still wanting to beat them? Yes, absolutely. Do I feel great when it works out on a given day? Yes, I feel fantastic about it. I love it. Have I ever toyed with going back and doing it full time? I have not.



Bolded parts: From that point of view future looks bleak indeed for Nadal. He seems unable now to bridge that talent gap by being physical the way he did earlier. Interesting too, that Nadal is named among the guys who have to get physical to achieve anything. No BS here.

Q. Are you surprised, three years after you stopped, that Federer is still No. 2 at his age?

A. No, because unlike most people I never compared myself to Roger. It’s phenomenal, and it’s kind of what we were talking about earlier with the guys who are so physical and have to consciously try to do things. With Roger, it just seems like he thinks it, and it happens. It’s an insane ability. The racket in his hand seems to just make sense.

I don’t think he’s as fast as he was in his prime. I don’t think a lot of the strokes are as good as they were in his prime, but he’s just such a good tennis player, and as long as he’s healthy he can figure it out. He can mix up his game on a given day. As long as someone is not just overpowering him like Stan did in Paris, Roger has so many options that he’s going to figure out how to beat people as long as they don’t come out and just throw haymakers and land them.



This is the opposite of Nadal - ability to bridge the physical gap to an extent, Roddick as ever plain admiring. I'm looking forward to hearing Roddick as a Wimbledon commenter.

Autumnleaf

Posts : 624
Join date : 2014-05-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Federer: I am playing the best tennis of my career!

Post by Tenez on Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:54 am

Good find AL. It's pretty clear from Rod what needs to be done to catch with the talented guys. It's all about fitness. He said it before "When I started my career, all players were 20lb lighter".

Where I disagree is that Federer's Hey days were 2006/7 but he certainly played better from 2009. ...however he was still winning less by then.

Tenez

Posts : 17169
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Federer: I am playing the best tennis of my career!

Post by Autumnleaf on Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:26 am

Tenez wrote:Good find AL. It's pretty clear from Rod what needs to be done to catch with the talented guys. It's all about fitness. He said it before "When I started my career, all players were 20lb lighter".

Where I disagree is that Federer's Hey days were 2006/7 but he certainly played better from 2009. ...however he was still winning less by then.
I don't think he's saying that and I wouldn't agree with it either. I mean, he almost won CYGS in 2009, surely the closest he ever got to it, so I don't even think he was winning less in that year. With better serving in those 2 matches, it could have been done. Else I think, the lacking results were often due to lack of form for whatever reason in 2010 and the emerging new and improved Djokovic who took everyone by surprise in 2011.

I think he's talking about 2014/15 and there I agree. Can't remember the last time I have seen Federer's A-game.

Autumnleaf

Posts : 624
Join date : 2014-05-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Federer: I am playing the best tennis of my career!

Post by Tenez on Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:34 am

Autumnleaf wrote:I think he's talking about 2014/15 and there I agree. Can't remember the last time I have seen Federer's A-game.
Dubai's final was quite impressive.

But yes, he has not been that great of late.

Tenez

Posts : 17169
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Federer: I am playing the best tennis of my career!

Post by noleisthebest on Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:00 am

Interesting interview from Roddick, but nothing new there.
Again, I am surprised he does not mention the element of technology.
It's the strings that encouraged and enabled fitness, i.e. topspin, which Nadal took advantage of to extreme.

An annonymous 16 year old from my club would, for example destroy Borg or McEnroe, but that does nit mean he's a better player than them, though he is pretty good.

So Fed's current tennis is best he's ever played.
Because the game is so physical (and physical for Federer as well, I hope people were able to see how hard he was hitting that dead ball in RG), his fine talent is just sidelined, but will hipefully shine fully in Wimbledon.
My only remark is that he needs to flatten his FH more, he's got to play as brave as he possible now because time is running out.

He needs to be confident and in his flow, and that is extremely hard woth these physical sade, long shots coming back one after the other.
But he is still my first favourite for Wimbledon.

noleisthebest

Posts : 24954
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Federer: I am playing the best tennis of my career!

Post by luvsports! on Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:09 am

In bits of 2014 he was fantastic. 
Shanghai win over Djoko. Bits of wtf's and wimby. But on the whole in the bigger matches he hasn't brought his best.

luvsports!

Posts : 4019
Join date : 2012-09-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Federer: I am playing the best tennis of my career!

Post by Autumnleaf on Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:13 am

noleisthebest wrote:Interesting interview from Roddick, but nothing new there.
Again, I am surprised he does not mention the element of technology.
It's the strings that encouraged and enabled fitness, i.e. topspin, which Nadal took advantage of to extreme. (...)
No question, it was a big change. Maybe it's not mentioned because that element hasn't changed inside of that timeline, since ca. 2002 when the majority started playing with polystrings.

Autumnleaf

Posts : 624
Join date : 2014-05-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Federer: I am playing the best tennis of my career!

Post by Tenez on Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:32 am

Autumnleaf wrote:
noleisthebest wrote:Interesting interview from Roddick, but nothing new there.
Again, I am surprised he does not mention the element of technology.
It's the strings that encouraged and enabled fitness, i.e. topspin, which Nadal took advantage of to extreme. (...)
No question, it was a big change. Maybe it's not mentioned because that element hasn't changed inside of that timeline, since ca. 2002 when the majority started playing with polystrings.

But the key here is that they are those who adapted to new strings in early 2000 while they learnt to play with natural gut (most players at that time) and those who learnt to play with them and arrived 5 years later...with bigger frames even (Nadal, Djoko, Murray and the newer generation).

Those 5 years have completely changed the way to approach the game and be successful on it. They learnt that with such strings, fitness was going to be even more key.

My point is it's very difficult to know whether 2007-10 Federer woudl be more successful today than then. I am personally not convinced.

He is winning against the same players and losing as closely as ever to much improved versions of those roadrunners.


Tenez

Posts : 17169
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Federer: I am playing the best tennis of my career!

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum