» NADAL WINS SLAM NUMBER 16, MOVES 2 CLEAR OF THIRD PLACED SAMPRAS
Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:09 pm by Tenez

» Sharapova announces failed drug test
Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:02 pm by luvsports!

» Fight for #1
Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:05 pm by Daniel

» US open prediction game: Final day
Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:17 pm by DECIMA

» NITB: 'Spiritually speaking, very likely Djokovic's wife part of Nadal's evil plan'
Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:36 pm by garthmarenghi

September 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

Top 10 Players' Age....

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Top 10 Players' Age....

Post by Autumnleaf on Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:31 pm

FedererKing wrote:Any explanation as to why Bolt of 21-22 years old ran the fastest ever times in human history, but can't at 29?

Any?
I have come across an interesting explanation of this phenomenon recently and it might apply to other sports as well.

According to this theory Bolt's weight at the Beijing Olympic games and the Berlin WCH 2009 was optimal for his explosiveness and speed endurance, any extra weight would slow him down. However it's impossible to maintain that optimal weight range on a diet of hormons, doing weight training, unless there's a caloric deficit. On the other hand that deficit would impede his ability to train...

So it's not easy for an athlete to hit that range and maintain it, especially since it's unique to the individual and tough to determine in the first place. I'm not sure how age plays into it, I could only guess there.

Autumnleaf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Autumnleaf on Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:39 pm

FedererKing wrote:The rise of the younger players has already started,  meanwhile the older guard's slam wins have virtually dried up, aside from Djokovic and perhaps Wawrinka.
Well, you could say that everybody's slam wins have dried up aside from Djokovic. Winking

However, there's a feeling of change in the air now finally, the first 2 MS1000 of a year all had SFs involving players younger than Djokovic. Miami is the first MS1000 ever with all (!) other semifinalists younger than him. For comparison: Last year all finalists were older, this year there was already one younger finalist in IW and there will be at least one in Miami.

Autumnleaf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez on Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:07 pm

Autumnleaf wrote:
Expectations: Kyrgios to make Race top 10 maybe as soon as today, that would further drop the average. Cuevas certainly won't stay inside the top 10, Monfils questionable, RBA as well. We might soon see the establishment of a few players younger than Djokovic inside the top 10.

Observation: Fed generation is now well on their way out. Fed himself is injured, no way of knowing in which shape he will come back. Ferrer has dropped off considerably, might lose his top 8 ranking before Roland Garros. Next best player left of the Fed generation is Feliciano Lopez at rank 30 in the race.
Fed's generation was out at least 4 years ago. Only Ferrer is in "his" generation.

Very unlucky! despite peak age being 26/27, no player in this top 10 is actually 26 or 27! This average of 27.5 is actually a very bad misrepresentation of the average peak form age as is made of players made of well below and well above 26. So not a good table for your points I am afraid. To believe that Rao and Goffin will start declining in a year time is not very serious. Just look at Monfils coming to add to my point now that he is 30!

What you are seeing is what I have been saying all along. Youngsters are simply trained at a higher levels than their seniors and this is in effect (with tehnology amplifying this phenomenon) why no players gets knocked down the top because of decline.

Tenez

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Autumnleaf on Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:35 pm

Tenez wrote:Very unlucky! despite peak age being 26/27, no player in this top 10 is actually 26 or 27! This average of 27.5 is actually a very bad misrepresentation of the average peak form age as is made of players made of well below and well above 26.
Not at all. If the peak age is around 26 (which I have not said, mind you, that number is an average from a study across many sports), 27,5 isn't far off.

Let's say that peak age is on average 27 years. That means some would have a later peak, some an earlier. It does not mean, that everybody has his peak at the exact age of 27. And players would stay in the top 10 before/ after their "peak", so an average fluctuating around peak age (but usually not matching it) would be expected.

How is no player aged 26 or 27 in the top 10? Nishikori is 26? Am I missing something?

Tenez wrote:Fed's generation was out at least 4 years ago. Only Ferrer is in "his" generation.
In the top 10, yes. But there were also others still floating around: Robredo, Lopez (career high in 2014), Karlovic, Youzhny as late as 2013, even Haas back then. Now they are gone from the top 20.

It won't be long now before the Nadalovic generation drops off. First signs are there with their rather weak positions in the race in the first part of the year.

Tenez wrote:What you are seeing is what I have been saying all along. Youngsters are simply trained at a higher levels than their seniors and this is in effect (with tehnology amplifying this phenomenon) why no players gets knocked down the top because of decline.
It's obvious that the youngsters improve all the time (until they reach their ceiling) and that they can improve at a faster pace than their seniors, because they have more room to improve. Look at Kyrgios and how good he already is and still so much upside. Amazing. 

On the other hand of the spectrum you have the Fed gen who has struggled to even keep their level. It's an uphill battle that they can't win. Djokodal gen will follow suit very soon.

Autumnleaf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez on Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:08 am

The average age of a top doubles tennis player....defies belief.....considering it is a sport requiring more reflexes than singles!

http://www.atpworldtour.com/en/rankings/doubles

Tenez

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel on Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:39 am

Doubles is a completely different game and far less running is needed. I know - I play singles and doubles. Doubles is much easier in terms of fitness needed.

Daniel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez on Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:48 am

FedererKing wrote:Doubles is a completely different game and far less running is needed.  I know - I play singles and doubles.  Doubles is much easier in terms of fitness needed.

I know that. But what what makes them better then? The top double players make between $8 to $13 million...so earning about a $1 million / year! Surely that would be enough money to tempt all the youngsters who are not that good physically or with slower reflexes?

Tenez

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Back to top