Our Tennis Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» I Just Can't Help Believing!
REAL TIME WITH BILL MAHER- DEBATE EmptySat Mar 23, 2024 9:00 pm by noleisthebest

» The Bullshit of Rafael Nadal
REAL TIME WITH BILL MAHER- DEBATE EmptyMon Feb 12, 2024 12:15 am by Daniel2

» Why Trump's 'tough' stance on radical Islam... could lead to more terrorism
REAL TIME WITH BILL MAHER- DEBATE EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:32 am by Daniel2

» Missing Madeline 10 years on..
REAL TIME WITH BILL MAHER- DEBATE EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:31 am by Daniel2

» '15 Dubious Weak Era Records'
REAL TIME WITH BILL MAHER- DEBATE EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:06 am by Daniel2

» AO 2024 - Sinner baby!!
REAL TIME WITH BILL MAHER- DEBATE EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:05 am by Daniel2

» Paris Masters
REAL TIME WITH BILL MAHER- DEBATE EmptyMon Nov 06, 2023 9:47 pm by noleisthebest

» Alvarez could bring me back to tennis
REAL TIME WITH BILL MAHER- DEBATE EmptyWed Sep 20, 2023 10:25 am by raiders_of_the_lost_ark

» IDEMOOOOOOO! ! ! !
REAL TIME WITH BILL MAHER- DEBATE EmptyMon Sep 11, 2023 9:47 am by noleisthebest

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

REAL TIME WITH BILL MAHER- DEBATE

3 posters

Go down

REAL TIME WITH BILL MAHER- DEBATE Empty REAL TIME WITH BILL MAHER- DEBATE

Post by N2D2L Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:44 pm

It seems it's not just me who's been following this, Luvsports inboxed me saying he has kept a watch too.

I've been a big fan of Bill Maher for a while, an anti-war atheist on the left of the American political spectrum. However his criticism of Islam has made him many enemies, especially among liberals and the left in America.

Liberals should stand up for Liberal values:

Argument with Ben Affleck:

Your views on this ?

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

REAL TIME WITH BILL MAHER- DEBATE Empty Re: REAL TIME WITH BILL MAHER- DEBATE

Post by luvsports! Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:13 pm

I got into a twitter argument with someone who grossly misrepresented a Harris quotation from his book, "the end of faith." That was RT'd by Reza Aslan and Glenn Greenwald. He later deleted his tweets as it was pure defamation after being proven wrong. 
He still maintains his views whilst not being able to comprehend the views of Harris. 

I am an avid follower of the young turks (that idiot aussie CJ got shown up later) and secular talk. Both, although less so the latter, I think misconstrued their views on this, especially Harris who apart from being an indefatigable raconteur, is a brilliant logical thinker.

I think Aslan (not the lion in CS Lewis books) is rather disingenuous and distorts the views of Harris. 
What I don;t like about Harris and especially Maher is their attitudes on Israel, it angers me deeply about the former's trenchant, dogmatic views on the topic and I feel he is very misguided. The consistency is not there.

I don't really have such a vitriolic stance on Islam, more so that religious is just very pernicious. I don't target one but there is a difference in them, some worse than others.

It is NOT islamaphobia if you criticise the religion. No liberals raise an eyebrow when Maher rips jews, christians, mormons (lol) but the moment he does for Islam, liberals are up in arms (so much so they cancelled his Berkeley commencement speech, dat sh** cray!). Is that as a result of the Danish cartoons where most liberals wanted them to apologise not the actions that transpired afterwards?!?!?

It's freedom of speech. He was reading out polls (could be wrong) to support his views. 
Aslan consistently ignores factors that would discredit his own and he himself his very biased under the rubric of an unbiased scholar. 
Perhaps Maher went too far in terms of saying so many Muslims are dangerous (Affleck thought he meant Muslims not Islam for Harris) but prominent muslim scholars have come out and supported their stances.

Apologies for this rather verbose and unlettered rant but you SHOULD criticise bad ideas and religion imo is a very bad one.

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:18 pm

I absolutely agree with your sentiment.

Those on the political left seem to think it's ok to criticise bad ideas (and people adopting these bad ideas) when it comes to the Bible and Christianity; but when it comes to the Koran and Islam they somehow thing criticising religion is unacceptable.
Some even in desperation try to give the impression that religion is the same as race. This couldn't be further from the truth, religion is about ideas which people can adopt or disagree with if they want, while race is something people cannot change about themselves.

In terms of the substance of what Bill Maher was saying, I think the evidence clearly points to the fact his representation is accurate.
No one is saying all Muslims are the same, and all Muslim majority countries are homogenous, that clearly isn't the case... and no one is arguing it is.

A very few percentage of Muslims will be supporting terrorist groups like ISIS; the vast majority of Muslims all over the world will be shocked at their actions.
However that does not mean all religions are alike. Polling data shows apostasy (death for leaving the religion) is high and above the 60% mark in many Muslim majority countries, and the worst countries for women's rights and gay rights are in Muslim majority countries. (Including many where people can get death penalty for homosexual activities)

This isn't hugely surprising, verses in the Koran and Hadith homosexuality is not tolerated, and there are many verses which are very sexist against women (if you want I can provide evidence for this). There are also similar lines in the Old Testament, but a higher percentage of Muslims compared to Christians believe their holy book to be literally true, this is just a fact if you look at the overwhelming polling data.
Interesting some on the left stand up for gay rights when it's in America, but when gay people are sent to jail by Islamists in Egypt, or women aren't allowed to drive... it's unacceptable to have a proper discussion about the causes.

The element of free speech comes into it as well. Polls showed that above 60% of Muslims in Britain (who in general are the most liberal Muslims according to polls) wanted the Danish cartoonists prosecuted for their drawing. This is the 21st century, and people are being threatened with execution and jail just for a drawing; hardly liberal is it ?
There is a show called Book of Mormons, which paints neither Mormons nor Jesus Christ in a fantastic light, infact they take the piss out of it. On South Park they frequently mock Jesus comedically. Did any Mormons or Christians threaten the writers of that with death ?

All religions are equally untrue, but not all are equally illiberal.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by luvsports! Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:07 pm

The play the book of Mormon was written by the creators of SOuth Park, love em Big Grin. Desperately tried to get tickets but to no avail. 

The US's hypocrisy on this issue at times is superseded by their dollar values, explicitly oil from the Saudi's who in sept beheaded dozens of people under sharia law... head in the sand time for the US. 

Can I ask for your thoughts on Aslan & Greenwald vs Harris?
It's interesting though getting the views of the hyperbolic media, US news is just funny as it's just a joke at times (Fox, MSNBC - bar Maddow who I like, except when she thought Scotland was set to become a new country :P ). 

I don't buy this atheist fundamentalism that chomsky, among others, purport to speak of. 
Yes it's important not to paint everyone with the same brush but it is very important to express ones views without being censored for speaking blatant truths.

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:17 pm

luvsports! wrote:

The US's hypocrisy on this issue at times is superseded by their dollar values, explicitly oil from the Saudi's who in sept beheaded dozens of people under sharia law... head in the sand time for the US. 
Saudi Arabia is probably the most extreme country, now you can get the death penalty there for being atheist.

LS wrote:Can I ask for your thoughts on Aslan & Greenwald vs Harris?
Harris is brilliant, he speaks so eloquently. His position has been misinterpreted purposefully so many times by so many that I think now he really goes out of his way to contextualise what he is saying... Maher is different in the way he doesn't really care what people think of him so makes his point in a more abrupt/ no beating around the bush way.
I've seen a bit on both Aslan and Greenwald on this issue, and both are in denial of the fact religion can make it more likely for some people to carry out certain actions. Greenwald in particular is happy to talk about Christianity in a bad light, but just can't bring it out of him to criticise Islam as well. Even though it's clear there's a higher proportion of Islamic terrorism and illiberal branches of Islam, than Christian terrorism and illiberal branches of Christianity.

LS wrote:
It's interesting though getting the views of the hyperbolic media, US news is just funny as it's just a joke at times (Fox, MSNBC - bar Maddow who I like, except when she thought Scotland was set to become a new country :P ). 
Maddow is good, but sometimes her show is a bit dull. Fox News is appalling, I see it more as a propaganda organisation than news channel.
Of American news I watch mainly Bill Maher, but also John Oliver and Jon Stewart.

LS wrote:
Yes it's important not to paint everyone with the same brush but it is very important to express ones views without being censored for speaking blatant truths.
Berkley haven't cancelled Maher's commencement speech thus far, although I wouldn't be surprised if they did. Freedom of speech is not freedom to hear only what you like.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by luvsports! Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:25 pm

Terrorism from "Islam" in the US has accounted for a paltry amount of deaths compared to right wing fundamentalists and even more diminutive compared from guns, but you wouldn;t know that at the Murdoch news. 

I love John Oliver, JS and Colbert and I like Maher put his Israeli position infuriates me.

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:36 pm

luvsports! wrote:Terrorism from "Islam" in the US has accounted for a paltry amount of deaths compared to right wing fundamentalists and even more diminutive compared from guns, but you wouldn;t know that at the Murdoch news. 
Certainly in the US, the NRA have caused far far more deaths than religious terrorism. In countries like Pakistan, religious terrorism is one of the main causes of murder.

luvsports! wrote:
I love John Oliver, JS and Colbert and I like Maher put his Israeli position infuriates me.
Maher is the only one out of those 4 who I truly believe will say what he thinks, even if it infuriates his fan base.
In terms of Israel, I think Maher is right to an extent that if Hamas had power they would probably cause as much if not more destruction than Israel, and anti-semitism is still rife in that region (Hamas's charter calls for the extermination of Jews)... but the fact is Israel have to be judged to much better standards than anti-semitic terrorist groups, they are far too disproportionate in their use of violence and it is backfiring on them.
Western countries such as UK should not be scared to criticise Israel as well as Hamas, and have economic sanctions on Israel unless they stop adopting such a aggressive foreign policy.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by luvsports! Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:30 pm

Yes along with neighbouring countries with genocidal intentions but the P cause is very strong to hate them to be honest. But they aren't the ruling party anymore so maybe the Fatah can improve things, come on international influence! 
Ever since the days of Herzel it has been downhill for them, (admittedly the jews were a persecuted race with the pogroms and hitler ofc) then under LLoyd George, British meddling, UN 1947 borders, Haganah ethnic cleansing up until the present day with netanyahu annexing 1000 more homes.
They have every right to feel extremely aggrieved to say the least. 
Sanction them someone for good sake.
But yes on this issue they are both wrong imo.

RE - hosts: That is how their shows are set up respectively. What makes the Colbert report so great is how he models himself on papa bear O'reilly.
JO has fantastic trenchant dissections of topics but over the week, JS daily, and it is still effectively news, less opinionated with Maher's show.
But when you get crap guests it can be a bit of a debacle.

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:07 pm

Did you see this week's Real Time LS ?

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by luvsports! Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:54 pm

I never see episodes I just see clips really. 
I saw that women who was practically yelling at Bill Maher, who did well to keep his calm.

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

Post by luvsports! Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:25 pm

Im interested to hear a lengthier post on your Israel Palestine thoughts Amri.

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:27 pm

luvsports! wrote:I never see episodes I just see clips really. 
I saw that women who was practically yelling at Bill Maher, who did well to keep his calm.

Rula was out of order with her accusations without any evidence.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by luvsports! Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:34 pm

Ye that one, I hope she doesn't come on too often if at all.

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:37 pm

luvsports! wrote:Im interested to hear a lengthier post on your Israel Palestine thoughts Amri.
Well there's quite a lot of history isn't there.

The Jews have been persecuted throughout the millennium, and of course the holocaust and murder of 6 million Jews in 1940 was the most horrifying example of that.
Despite that, I don't think the Western powers have handled it well, the way land was handed out was basically arbitrary.
But in terms of historical context, both the Jews and the Palestinians have valid grievances.

Now though, a solution must be found. Some will point to the old testament and say 'we were originally from here' and the other side will say 'we were originally from here before moving in after WW2'. The fact is there's no good guy and bad guy in this. So much of the stuff I read in this debate is so polarised, either the Israelis are the good peaceful guys while the Palestinians are evil; or vice versa. In reality both sides have acted to make things worse rather than better for the region.

Hamas continue to get support for the Palestinians, despite the fact their charter calls for the extermination of Jews which is shocking. Hamas are also firing huge amounts of rockets into Israel, the only reason there isn't mass casualties in Israel is their iron Dome defence system. Meanwhile Israel's foreign policy has been aggressive and sometimes bordering on barbaric, with far too many civilian casualties. That will actually work for Hamas, as they recruit more people, so this not only is extreme but will also backfire. The USA have financial clout over Israel, and they need to restrain them.
I don't know how a solution will be found. Hitchens said it will be almost impossible due to religious differences, and I fear he may be right.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by luvsports! Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:59 pm

Very well put.
I agree with all of it, fecking British ey?

Hamas aren't the ruling party anymore but I wonder how much will change under Fatah.
I am more anti Israel though to be honest, starting back with the Haganah.

I feel it is somewhat becoming an apartheid like state. 
There has to be international sanctions. The US's ingratiating and sycophantic attitude towards Israel and the US media blindly supporting it is definitely worsening the situation.
Former US ambassador Ed Peck sums it up very well 2bh.
He says it's: “obsequious, unctuous subservience to the peripheral interests of a foreign nation at the cost of the lives and morale of our own service members and their families.”

Both sides are committing atrocities, but imo what Israel are doing is worse. 

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:04 pm

luvsports! wrote:Very well put.

Hamas aren't the ruling party anymore but I wonder how much will change under Fatah.

There has to be international sanctions. The US's ingratiating and sycophantic attitude towards Israel and the US media blindly supporting it is definitely worsening the situation.
He says it's: “obsequious, unctuous subservience to the peripheral interests of a foreign nation at the cost of the lives and morale of our own service members and their families.”

I think you're right to point out that the use of force is disproportionate, this I feel because Israel is more powerful militarily and has international backing.
If the terrorists had as much power and force as Israel, and Israel didn't have the defence system they have, I think the tables may have been turned.
However you're right to say this doesn't excuse Israel, and I think we both agree that Israel's actions are actually making things worse, not just for peace but also for them (they are losing worldwide support and terrorists are recruiting even faster now).

In terms of inside Israel itself, correct me if I'm wrong here, but from the evidence I've seen gays and women actually get treated well in Israel- a far stretch from what we see in Gaza and some other Muslims majority countries in and near that region.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by luvsports! Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:30 pm

You're absolutely correct. 
Israeli society is a very prosperous and flourishing one. Look at their GDP for their size and yet they still get $3b per annum from Mmmurrriicaa, lunacy.
Also I think if we are being consistent we have to separate moderate jews, from say zionists (some aren't even jewish) and Israeli Jews under the ultra right wing Likud party.
What is also encouraging is their incursion & bombings into Gaza saw his approval rating drop from I think 80 odd% down to 35-40%. 

Many jews have condemned Netanyahu's actions, comparing them to the holocaust! 
Many jews are secular and don't take the Torah at all literally, for me it's the most progressive of the main 3 (not saying much and circumcision is so abhorrent and has many negatives to it). 

Yes agreed re switching roles. Explicit genocidal goals towards Israel in their charter (Hamas). Not that much of a stretch to say they would do that and Israel, although cannot be defended are showing restraint ever so slightly. Again I hope for progress under Fatah.

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:45 pm

luvsports! wrote:Many jews are secular and don't take the Torah at all literally, for me it's the most progressive of the main 3 (not saying much and circumcision is so abhorrent and has many negatives to it).

Yes agreed re switching roles. Explicit genocidal goals towards Israel in their charter (Hamas). Not that much of a stretch to say they would do that and Israel, although cannot be defended are showing restraint ever so slightly. Again I hope for progress under Fatah.
Indeed it seems we agree almost exactly on this topic Winking

Where's Tenez or NITB, I can imagine Tenez having some wild conspiracy theory which I wouldn't agree with at all.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by luvsports! Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:55 pm

haha! 
Oh tenneeezzz......

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:52 pm

You don't sit next to a people who fire rockets into your country because you are Jewish.  There can never be peace with the majority of countries in that area because they believe in the Hadith and the Koran, both of which have numerous verses (in context) that call for the end of the Jews and non-believers.  If these countries had nuclear weapons, as Israel does... Israel would already be gone.  You don't throw rocks at a giant's greenhouse, and that's what the Palestinians continually do.  Israel has shown amazing restraint, because if I was in their shoes, I'd have already given that poxy country a final ultimatum.  Israel is a thriving democracy.  Given the choice, I doubt your mouth would be so big in favour of Palestine if you knew you had to spend a year there.  Your biggest problem is you have zero understanding of Islam and its laws, or its political nuances.  But rest assured that America, Israel, and most western governments will make sure that Israel is safe.  If push comes to shove, Palestine will be reduced to rubble, and it will serve them right.  What we say here on this forum won't change a thing.

Daniel

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:56 pm

FK, Luvsports said he thought extremist Islam was the biggest threat; more so than extremist forms of any religion, and I agree.

However that doesn't mean Israel's foreign policy hasn't made things even worse.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:59 pm

I'm sorry, but Israel is a democratic nation next to a despotic, religious nightmare.  The fact they haven't destroyed that place utterly is testament to that.  As I have just said, the issue there is Islam.  Nothing else.  It's Islam EVERYWHERE in the world, and will be for the foreseeable future.  Until people start debating that wicked religion, nothing will change.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47RXpVsMo1s

Watch.

Daniel

Back to top Go down

Post by luvsports! Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:18 am

FedererKing wrote:

You don't sit next to a people who fire rockets into your country because you are Jewish.  There can never be peace with the majority of countries in that area because they believe in the Hadith and the Koran, both of which have numerous verses (in context) that call for the end of the Jews and non-believers.  If these countries had nuclear weapons, as Israel does... Israel would already be gone.  You don't throw rocks at a giant's greenhouse, and that's what the Palestinians continually do.  Israel has shown amazing restraint, because if I was in their shoes, I'd have already given that poxy country a final ultimatum.  Israel is a thriving democracy.  Given the choice, I doubt your mouth would be so big in favour of Palestine if you knew you had to spend a year there.  Your biggest problem is you have zero understanding of Islam and its laws, or its political nuances.  But rest assured that America, Israel, and most western governments will make sure that Israel is safe.  If push comes to shove, Palestine will be reduced to rubble, and it will serve them right.  What we say here on this forum won't change a thing.
There you go mouthing off again.
Have you lived in Palestine?
My cousin is living in Jerusalem and her fiancee faces death everyday when he crosses into P. I think I know more about it than you coming from that. So please don't make assumptions about something you have no clue about regarding myself. 
Everything is black and white with you isn't it?
I have done a great deal of research on this topic (though obvs I am far from an expert but reading several Harris, Hitchens, Dennett books on religion and Islam) and if you studied the history of the conflict (it seems you have not) you would see how they have been oppressed into submission. 
I'm not pro either side, as BOTH have committed atrocities. I just want peace and what BOTH sides are doing is ameliorating the problem. 
You clearly haven't taken the time to read our conversation as you have busted in here with a hot headed and impetuous line of argument that is rather myopic. Good night!

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:20 am

As I said... clueless.  Watch the video and learn something for once in your gullible, self hating, appeasing life.  Stop believing the liberal western media and the politicians' sound-bites.

Daniel

Back to top Go down

Post by luvsports! Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:18 am

Wow you really are an angry person.
Great input....

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:29 pm

FK, it's possible that there are no good guys in certain situations.

There isn't always a battle between good and evil, and it seems in your anger towards Islam you are too biased to acknowledge that Israel's behaviour has made things worse and in many ways worked as a recruitment tool for Hamas.

Anyway I'm also adding a General Election 2015 thread to this section, for more domestic policy issues.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:39 pm

luvsports! wrote:Wow you really are an angry person.
Great input....

Not really.  It's not as if I am over here banging on my keyboard, but I will admit that nothing frustrates me more than someone like you.  I was as naive as you once, but I grew out of it.  You still haven't a clue about the actual reason for the conflict in the middle east, yet you've switched your brain off, and switched the BBC on.  You also didn't debate anything I wrote, and I highly doubt you have bothered to watch that video I posted, which will enlighten you to what you are not told by your masters. Thumbs Up

I'd love to plonk you in Israel for a couple of years and then to Palestine for a couple.  Let's see if you came back holding the same opinion you posted further up this thread.

Daniel

Back to top Go down

Post by luvsports! Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:18 pm

Wow you seem to know me so well!
There is no point debating someone like you.
Keep the insults coming!

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:55 pm

luvsports! wrote:Wow you seem to know me so well!
Keep the insults coming!
This is the sort of stuff I have to deal with when I debate about tennis Winking

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:23 pm

Kim Jong-Un wrote:
luvsports! wrote:Wow you seem to know me so well!
Keep the insults coming!
This is the sort of stuff I have to deal with when I debate about tennis Winking

You don't debate tennis, you create 100 threads designed to brow-beat people into believing Nadal is greater than Federer (despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary) and that Federer is "just as bad" as Nadal when it comes to sportsmanship (despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary).

Plainly, you are a fangirl.  You get "abused" because that's the only language people have left for someone as closed minded as you.  People have lost all patience with you.  Also, don't come the innocent with me, you aren't nearly intelligent enough.  I can dig out plenty of insults and wind-ups from you.

Here, maybe this will help you:

http://www.606v2.com/t56316-alleged-corruption-shocker-in-atp-award#2826675

You are an idiot, a deluded fangirl, or a troll.  Which is it?

Daniel

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:02 am

FedererKing wrote:You are an idiot, a deluded fangirl, or a troll.
Love you too Hug

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:05 am

Luvsports, have you watched the film Religilous ?

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by luvsports! Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:27 am

Ye its not bad.

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:00 am

N2D2L

Back to top Go down