Our Tennis Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» I Just Can't Help Believing!
Novak - How Talented Is Novak Djokovic? EmptySat Mar 23, 2024 9:00 pm by noleisthebest

» The Bullshit of Rafael Nadal
Novak - How Talented Is Novak Djokovic? EmptyMon Feb 12, 2024 12:15 am by Daniel2

» Why Trump's 'tough' stance on radical Islam... could lead to more terrorism
Novak - How Talented Is Novak Djokovic? EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:32 am by Daniel2

» Missing Madeline 10 years on..
Novak - How Talented Is Novak Djokovic? EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:31 am by Daniel2

» '15 Dubious Weak Era Records'
Novak - How Talented Is Novak Djokovic? EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:06 am by Daniel2

» AO 2024 - Sinner baby!!
Novak - How Talented Is Novak Djokovic? EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:05 am by Daniel2

» Paris Masters
Novak - How Talented Is Novak Djokovic? EmptyMon Nov 06, 2023 9:47 pm by noleisthebest

» Alvarez could bring me back to tennis
Novak - How Talented Is Novak Djokovic? EmptyWed Sep 20, 2023 10:25 am by raiders_of_the_lost_ark

» IDEMOOOOOOO! ! ! !
Novak - How Talented Is Novak Djokovic? EmptyMon Sep 11, 2023 9:47 am by noleisthebest

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

How Talented Is Novak Djokovic?

2 posters

Go down

Novak - How Talented Is Novak Djokovic? Empty How Talented Is Novak Djokovic?

Post by noleisthebest Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:51 am

I have always admired the consistent depth on his groundstrokes and the ability to return serve, i.e. time & direct the fastest shot in tennis with such control.

I also love the way he plays Nadal, esp the way he takes the ball early on the FH and pounds it back, that's Nole at his best.

Unlike Nadal, Federer can do the same to Djokovic, but Nole can't do it to Federer at will like can to Nadal, as Federer gives him less time.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Novak - How Talented Is Novak Djokovic? Empty Re: How Talented Is Novak Djokovic?

Post by Tenez Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:36 pm

I am not sure how talented is Djokovic. Cause once again, he did not choose to develop his talent but fitness instead. Based on his shots alone, how they look, easy they appear, and efficient, I woudl not rank him too high. We know his retrieving skills are what makes him so tough. Sure he controls the ball well under all positions but he does not much with it bar bringing it back and forcing more running to his opponent. He is very much a new, better version of Hewitt....but neither will be remembered for their talent.....(nor will Ferrer btw).

He also has the greatest advantage of being on most balls with time to spare which makes his task much easier. So his talent is most likely in his mobility than ball striking. For his size he should have a better serve too.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Novak - How Talented Is Novak Djokovic? Empty Re: How Talented Is Novak Djokovic?

Post by noleisthebest Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:35 pm

I deliberately chose the clip from Montreal 2007 when Nole was known as a "quitter" i.e. when he was retiring due to a lack of fitness.
He had just turned 20 and beat number 3 (Roddick), 2 (Nadal) and 1 (Federer) en route to winning his first masters 1000.
Those were the days when beating Federer sent shock-waves through tennis world.
I remember how I felt...I was more excited then than when he beat Nadal on clay for the first time in Madrid 2011.
Back to talent...the way he was striking his FH in that match starting roughly at 6:5, is clearly a sign of talent.
Something Ferrer could never do. Nor can Nadal. Nor can Andy Murray.

The reason why it's difficult to assess his talent is because his hands are not as quick as Federer's and as you mention, his legs help him a lot.

I rue that Nole switched from Wilson to Head, because with it he started spinning his FH and losing speed he had in pre 2008 days.

At the moment, I feel he is quite tired and needs a good 2 months rest. He can play great tennis when he is fresh.
I am also hoping Becker will continue to flatten his FH, but it all goes hand in hand with improving his serve, which is good but could be better with slightly smoother, more loose swing.

Nole really should have hired Lendl, they would've been a dream combination....Murray snatched him first...

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:39 pm

noleisthebest wrote:I deliberately chose the clip from Montreal 2007 when Nole was known as a "quitter" i.e. when he was retiring due to a lack of fitness.
He had just turned 20 and beat number 3 (Roddick), 2 (Nadal) and 1 (Federer) en route to winning his first masters 1000.
Those were the days when beating Federer sent shock-waves through tennis world.
Yes but Federer did beat himself that day. He was 40/0 up on his server serving for the set he ended up losing. However regardless, Djoko was only 20 and that is certainly a great achievement.

Back to talent...the way he was striking his FH in that match starting roughly at 6:5, is clearly a sign of talent.
Something Ferrer could never do. Nor can Nadal. Nor can Andy Murray.
Yes and no. They can all do that even Nadal. Once again he goes for broke cause his A game did not work. Same as in USO 10 and 11. It's so much easier to go for shots when there is nothing left to lose. 2 FHs don't make you talented.

The reason why it's difficult to assess his talent is because his hands are not as quick as Federer's and as you mention, his legs help him a lot.
Well quick hand is about talent...so clearly that answers some of the question.

I rue that Nole switched from Wilson to Head, because with it he started spinning his FH and losing speed he had in pre 2008 days.
Don;t think the racquet has much to do there. It was a deliberate strategy going with the trend. Djoko learnt very early that defending was bringing more glory than attacking..partly due to slower conds but more so due to luxilon.

At the moment, I feel he is quite tired and needs a good 2 months rest. He can play great tennis when he is fresh.
I am also hoping Becker will continue to flatten his FH, but it all goes hand in hand with improving his serve, which is good but could be better with slightly smoother, more loose swing.
You know what I think of Becker.

Nole really should have hired Lendl, they would've been a dream combination....Murray snatched him first.
And likewise I don't believe in dream coaches.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:33 pm

Oooooh, you are tough as nails, T!

I do agree with most except that Nadal's and Nole's winners are the same.
Nadal is much safer.

He doesn't even care about pulling off a winner, asphyxiated unforced errors will do nicely for him, thank you very much!

Nole does try to finish his points quicker than Nadal. That's why he is learning to volley. Not to mention positioning on the court.

Yes it's a variation on the same theme, but a big variation.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:00 am

noleisthebest wrote:I do agree with most except that Nadal's and Nole's winners are the same.
Nadal is much safer.
Where do I say that? There is certainly more risk in Nole's shots..when playing Nadal. But against the rest of the field, he tends to absorb and only attacks when ahead.

Nole does try to finish his points quicker than Nadal. That's why he is learning to volley. Not to mention positioning on the court.
But you read that stat last year that said he covered more ground per match than anybody else.

Yes it's a variation on the same theme, but a big variation.

Do you like Djoko's game? I noticed you avoid watching his most interesting matches.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down