Our Tennis Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» I Just Can't Help Believing!
Stan the Man EmptySat Mar 23, 2024 9:00 pm by noleisthebest

» The Bullshit of Rafael Nadal
Stan the Man EmptyMon Feb 12, 2024 12:15 am by Daniel2

» Why Trump's 'tough' stance on radical Islam... could lead to more terrorism
Stan the Man EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:32 am by Daniel2

» Missing Madeline 10 years on..
Stan the Man EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:31 am by Daniel2

» '15 Dubious Weak Era Records'
Stan the Man EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:06 am by Daniel2

» AO 2024 - Sinner baby!!
Stan the Man EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:05 am by Daniel2

» Paris Masters
Stan the Man EmptyMon Nov 06, 2023 9:47 pm by noleisthebest

» Alvarez could bring me back to tennis
Stan the Man EmptyWed Sep 20, 2023 10:25 am by raiders_of_the_lost_ark

» IDEMOOOOOOO! ! ! !
Stan the Man EmptyMon Sep 11, 2023 9:47 am by noleisthebest

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

Stan the Man

5 posters

Go down

Stan the Man Empty Stan the Man

Post by paulcz Sat May 24, 2014 7:24 pm

This Man deserves an award of the best improvement of the year 2014, despite the fact the year has not finished yet. I think that Stan did so amazing progress so far which allows me to announce this.

Since his amazing success at AO, in which Stan demolished the circus clown, he got transferred into a winning kind of player. There is not definitely luck behind Stan's achievement. It is about a belief in your power and quality of the game. Not many players have/had such a confidence, which differ good players from star ones. Stan fortunately ranked himself into the helluva tennis stars. Here I need to mention a great work of his current coach Magnus Norman.

There are rare players, whose backhand better off their forehand. But Stan showed all people, that his single backhand hitting can demolish pompous loopy left handed forehand moonballs from Nadal. In this line Stan's SHBH is the exceptional stroke in the current tennis. His stocky body, extremely strong forearm can generate an unbelievable power from that side.

But his game, it is not only his powerful hits, he has improved his forehand hitting,  also serve and  move, but the biggest change has been done in his confidence. Based on this he plays aggressive all-court tennis, doesn't wait for opponents response, but goes for it. He is the player, who I really like to watch and cheer him, he just deserves it. Stan has a great personality, always plays fair on the court. When  he shouts Come on, some players should rather run away from the court, or to take a MTO. He is just the Man on the court.

Stan the Man Stanislas-Wawrinka_2955090

paulcz

Back to top Go down

Stan the Man Empty Re: Stan the Man

Post by gallery play Sat May 24, 2014 8:16 pm

I like him too, a lot. He doens't whine and cuts the crap.

His anticipation and handiness is quite average but his brutal hitting when brutal hitting is needed makes him a great player to watch.

gallery play

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sat May 24, 2014 8:19 pm

Stan...is an interesting player, playing in an interesting era.

He has been around, fairly "invisible" for many years...Fed's little brother kind of thing, someone Fed famously "had to carry" en route to winning doubles Olympics gold in Beijing.

I remember Nole beating him in Rome final in 2008, and I never had to hide behind the sofa, like I did so many times that year when he played Nadal.
To me, Stan  was a mentally unstable player, who would choke quite easily, very similar to Berdych in his younger years.

And then...he started getting better. There was that 5 set match against Murray in Wimbledon, the first ever to be played under closed CC roof. He was a better player but lost. Just like Gasquet the year before.

He started yelling, as well. A strange, primeval bear-like roar after good points. Something was happening.

At some stage he hired a new coach, but not following him closely, I only realised it after I took notice of his improved performances. And then I observed him more closely and saw that suddenly he had a FH, not just a BH.
I think that made all the difference, and I think that was Norman's main contribution. However good a SBH is, really, it should never be your main weapon. You will be easily pushed behind the base line, unable to control the game. Again, Gasquet is a case in point - his BH is still much better than his FH.

So obviously having worked very hard on his FH, and releasing its potential, Stan doubled his chances of winning points. And with points came matches, and with matches big matches: AO SF 5 setter against Nole, USO 5 setter again against Nole. Tough losses, but the ones he took heart from and gained confidence.
It paid off in his next 5 setter, yes, against Nole in AO14.

The rest is history. Stan has now fulfilled his potential: he has got super fit, and knows his strengths, but he knows his weaknesses, too.

I like his gutsy play, and think that is his big weapon: he pulls the trigger off both wings down the line no problemo.
It's a rare thing at the top of men's game and worth supporting.

For me, he'll always be Fed's little brother though smiley

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sat May 24, 2014 9:13 pm

gallery play wrote:I like him too, a lot. He doens't whine and cuts the crap.

His anticipation and handiness is quite average but his brutal hitting when brutal hitting is needed makes him a great player to watch.
Yes same here. I agree it's a shame he has not got quick hand but a great ball striker nonetheless.

I am glad Paul sees it now as we had a long conversation back a year ago where he thought (maybe still does?) Djoko was miles ahead in ball striking terms.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by paulcz Sat May 24, 2014 9:32 pm

Tenez wrote:
gallery play wrote:I like him too, a lot. He doens't whine and cuts the crap.

Yes same here. I agree it's a shame he has not got quick hand but a great ball striker nonetheless.

I am glad Paul sees it now as we had a long conversation back a year ago where he thought (maybe still does?) Djoko was miles ahead in ball striking terms.

Big Grin Where does Ten read it? That is quite funny as many times, no surprise. That is rather a thing with his memory  Winking 

I would also appreciate some owing expertise about slow nervers, that amazed a lot of tennis colleagues  Winking 

paulcz

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sat May 24, 2014 10:12 pm

We discussed it after the AO 13 close match I believe.....I'll try to retrieve it...

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by paulcz Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:48 am

Just need to point out what a good player Stan is again. He is a real pleasure to watch and his matches with Novak belong to the best matches currently.

Stan is better than his body looks. I actually think that he is the biggest chameleon between players as he confuses us by his stocky seemingly not athletic body. But Stan is really one of the best all rounders at the tour and his move and stamina is just a notch behind the top players like Novak, Fed, Nadal, Murray. On the top his power can offset the gap between him and these top 4 in this aspect, which gives him a decent chance to succeed even on slow surfaces against top stamina players. Due to his super power he can save a lot of energy and can speed up game when his body is start to boil. His game is as if generating in batches. He is mentally strong and knows where his stamina limits are. IMO he plays one ot the most intelligent game on the circuit.

He is quite surprising man, just a great man, just Stan the Man.
I think that they are still good friends with Novak as they have played some doubles together. Their after match gesture yesterday says a lot about them. They both are not only great players, but also great men Magic

paulcz

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:15 pm

Yes, Stan has really grown into quite a character: unassuming yet volcanic.
I like his simple, no-frills unpolished image.
His checked RG shorts...there is something honest about him that's very attractive.

Having seen him in O2 against Fed last year, I can say he is surprisingly agile and physically very strong.

Slow conditions have given him a chance to shine.

He may be hot-headed and emotional sometimes, but it's that human, unPR-ed side of him that makes him so endearing.

It's great to have him at the top, promoting & getting SBH back in fashion.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:00 pm

He is certainly very fit. I was still not impressed with his returns yesterday. His BH slices float and are very high, allowing his opponent to dictate. He shoudl be more aggressive on returns. he has th epower but simply chose to rally yesterday and being tired, he simply has himself to blame to be bagelled in that 3rd.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by raiders_of_the_lost_ark Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:13 am

Stan didn't get the game-plan right. Maybe he forgot what he changed from 2nd set onwards.He stayed far too much back, barely tried to finish points at the net.

Djokovic unlike himself came in much much more. I've not seen the stats but I saw the match and from that I can say Djokovic came in more than twice as much as Stan. Not good ploy from Stan and his coach.

I'm not sure Stan is giving his 100% to win these tail-end tournaments. He looks jaded and maybe just waiting for the season to get over. He wanted to Beat Nadal and also Djokovic but ran out of steam ( even mentally)

I hope he will be fresh for 2016.

raiders_of_the_lost_ark

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:55 am

I think it's because he was tired that he chose to stay back. If one is fresh, one is sharper and can take more risk.

The main issue in my view was his return which always pushed him on the back foot.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by paulcz Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:48 am

Congrats to Stan, he fully deserved it. Incredible single BH, there has not been better single BH performance. Thumbs Up

paulcz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum