Our Tennis Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» I Just Can't Help Believing!
Roland Garros 2014: THE DRAW IS OUT/Order of Play EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 8:25 am by Daniel2

» The Bullshit of Rafael Nadal
Roland Garros 2014: THE DRAW IS OUT/Order of Play EmptyMon Feb 12, 2024 12:15 am by Daniel2

» Why Trump's 'tough' stance on radical Islam... could lead to more terrorism
Roland Garros 2014: THE DRAW IS OUT/Order of Play EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:32 am by Daniel2

» Missing Madeline 10 years on..
Roland Garros 2014: THE DRAW IS OUT/Order of Play EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:31 am by Daniel2

» '15 Dubious Weak Era Records'
Roland Garros 2014: THE DRAW IS OUT/Order of Play EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:06 am by Daniel2

» AO 2024 - Sinner baby!!
Roland Garros 2014: THE DRAW IS OUT/Order of Play EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:05 am by Daniel2

» Paris Masters
Roland Garros 2014: THE DRAW IS OUT/Order of Play EmptyMon Nov 06, 2023 9:47 pm by noleisthebest

» Alvarez could bring me back to tennis
Roland Garros 2014: THE DRAW IS OUT/Order of Play EmptyWed Sep 20, 2023 10:25 am by raiders_of_the_lost_ark

» IDEMOOOOOOO! ! ! !
Roland Garros 2014: THE DRAW IS OUT/Order of Play EmptyMon Sep 11, 2023 9:47 am by noleisthebest

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

Roland Garros 2014: THE DRAW IS OUT/Order of Play

+6
truffin1
summerblues
Daniel
gallery play
Tenez
noleisthebest
10 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Who is going to win Roland Garros 2014?

Roland Garros 2014: THE DRAW IS OUT/Order of Play Vote_lcap33%Roland Garros 2014: THE DRAW IS OUT/Order of Play Vote_rcap 33% 
[ 3 ]
Roland Garros 2014: THE DRAW IS OUT/Order of Play Vote_lcap44%Roland Garros 2014: THE DRAW IS OUT/Order of Play Vote_rcap 44% 
[ 4 ]
Roland Garros 2014: THE DRAW IS OUT/Order of Play Vote_lcap22%Roland Garros 2014: THE DRAW IS OUT/Order of Play Vote_rcap 22% 
[ 2 ]
Roland Garros 2014: THE DRAW IS OUT/Order of Play Vote_lcap0%Roland Garros 2014: THE DRAW IS OUT/Order of Play Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Roland Garros 2014: THE DRAW IS OUT/Order of Play Vote_lcap0%Roland Garros 2014: THE DRAW IS OUT/Order of Play Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 9

Roland Garros 2014: THE DRAW IS OUT/Order of Play Empty Roland Garros 2014: THE DRAW IS OUT/Order of Play

Post by noleisthebest Mon May 19, 2014 1:29 pm

With all due respect to Nice and Dusseldorf, tennis world's eyes are all already on Roland Garros.

So far, 2014 has been a year of changes and surprises, with the exception of Madrid, no player has been able to defend their title. 
Is the trend going to continue in Roland Garros?

Roland Garros 2014: THE DRAW IS OUT/Order of Play Roland_garros

The King of Clay, with "only" a Madrid title, earnt by retirement and his biggest rival absent, certainly does not look his usual invincible self. Yet, it's hard not to see him in the final.
He has been struggling to impose his game all season, and just as we were thinking he was back on track, Nole shut the door in his face.
How will that affect him in Paris? 
Knowing him, he'll be trying his "traditional best", waiting to pounce at the first opportunity. He is certainly not the one who squanders them.

Which then brings us to Novak Djokovic. Now, there is a generous player...On paper he should have won RG last three seasons but didn't. In 2011, inspired Federer ended his Streak in the SF, in 2012 it was bad scheduling, rain, rain delay, match carried over to the next day...Last year, it was...the net! What will it be this year? Hopefully no distractions. Nole's recent wins over Nadal have been encouraging as he has been playing with more calm and composure than last year. Go Nole! diva

Roger Federer. We all want to forget 2013 - the year of the bad back together with him. This year, he is playing with a bigger frame, and appears to be fit and hungry. Two babies in the meantime have interrupted the momentum, but let's hope we won't notice it much in Paris. With Roger, anything can happen at this stage.

Stan The (Super)Man. He has played well in RG last year, and this year should be a step forward. He has secured top 4 seeding and that ought to make his life easier. Many here have been singing his praises and tipping him for big things post AO win. Let's see what he can do in Paris.

Andy Murray. We nearly wrote him off last week, and I still see him the weakest link at the top. He played a good match against Nadal in Rome, but ran out of steam in the third set. How he will fare in the best of 5 is not difficult to guess.

David Ferrer - The Gatekeeper. In my opinion better than last year. I can't see him as a FO champion, but definitely a SF-ist.

Everybody else: with the exception of a healthy Nishikori, judging from what we have seen so far this year, there is plenty of talent that could have a good run and be a banana skin but not much else. Surprises welcome, of course.

Roland Garros 2014: THE DRAW IS OUT/Order of Play Roland-garros-ball

The Draw

The much expected draw taking place on Friday. Some of us have already ventured our thoughts on it, so will be interesting to see how that pans out. Will post the link when it comes out.

http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/scores/draws/ms/msdraw.pdf

Roland Garros 2014: THE DRAW IS OUT/Order of Play Msdraw

The winner takes it all in Paris this year as far as Nole and Nadal are concerned: both the trophy as well as the number one ranking.

So...Who is going to win it this year? My guess is as good as yours...I hope for no teethmarks on this beauty any more:

Roland Garros 2014: THE DRAW IS OUT/Order of Play Paris-Actualites5166ed3cb1a63

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpZr_cbYbXo

Last edited by noleisthebest on Sat May 24, 2014 1:27 pm; edited 5 times in total

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Roland Garros 2014: THE DRAW IS OUT/Order of Play Empty Re: Roland Garros 2014: THE DRAW IS OUT/Order of Play

Post by Tenez Mon May 19, 2014 2:46 pm

Easy to guess who voted what!  Laugh 

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Roland Garros 2014: THE DRAW IS OUT/Order of Play Empty Re: Roland Garros 2014: THE DRAW IS OUT/Order of Play

Post by noleisthebest Mon May 19, 2014 5:01 pm

Shall we have a prediction game?

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by gallery play Mon May 19, 2014 5:07 pm

Tenez wrote:Easy to guess who voted what!  Laugh 
Definitly!
And you'll probably recognize my vote too Winking  Plenty of arguments against my vote but i want to mix it up a little

gallery play

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon May 19, 2014 5:10 pm

You voted Nadal I guess....as another one seems to have voted Djoko.

Yes Nadal is certainly a force to be reckoned when it comes to best of 5 on clay! He has not lost many has he?...once in the last 10 years!!!!

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon May 19, 2014 5:38 pm

gallery play wrote:
Definitly!
And you'll probably recognize my vote too Winking  Plenty of arguments against my vote but i want to mix it up a little

Just as I wondered whether Nadal would get any votes....

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel Mon May 19, 2014 7:13 pm

Not Nadal.  Djokovic is favourite, and then Nadal, then the likes of Fed, Waw, Nish...

But I can't see Nadal doing it this time.

I've gone with Fed.  Heart over head.

Daniel

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon May 19, 2014 7:34 pm

So I know who voted the extra Djoko......I bet it's JS trying to jinx it! Winking

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon May 19, 2014 9:30 pm

I actually can see Nadal win it, but he'll need someone to clear Nole out of the way.
In the best of 5, only Federer can do it, but he'd have to be really playing his socks off and still it's not a given.
I'd love either a Federer-Nole or Nole-Nadal final, former, because we'd see great tennis, the latter because we'd see a great battle and downfall.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon May 19, 2014 9:38 pm

noleisthebest wrote:I'd love either a Federer-Nole or Nole-Nadal final, former, because we'd see great tennis, the latter because we'd see a great battle and downfall.

I'd rather see the former. Knowing Nadal was beaten before the final would be enough to turn the FO into a success. And then I know Fed would raise to the occasion.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon May 19, 2014 9:39 pm

Tenez wrote:
noleisthebest wrote:I'd love either a Federer-Nole or Nole-Nadal final, former, because we'd see great tennis, the latter because we'd see a great battle and downfall.

I'd rather see the former. Knowing Nadal was beaten before the final would be enough to turn the FO into a success. And then I know Fed would raise to the occasion.

I actually think that Fed is not the only one who could beat Djoko in Paris. Djoko can have erratic performances.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon May 19, 2014 9:57 pm

Not in the best of five in RG I think. He's had a very good record there.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon May 19, 2014 10:09 pm

Tenez wrote: Knowing Nadal was beaten before the final would be enough to turn the FO into a success. And then I know Fed would raise to the occasion.

Who do you see beating Nadal before the final?

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon May 19, 2014 10:34 pm

no-one frankly. ...unless he has one of those "fearfull" day...like he had a few the previous years where he losts sets to weird guys.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon May 19, 2014 10:42 pm

Isner came close one year if I remember well...

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon May 19, 2014 10:51 pm

Yes....though as Wilander said it was never close....we knew the 5th was going to be one sided.

I am thinking at Andujar, last year this german guy with a SHBH.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon May 19, 2014 10:52 pm

Check out he size of Nadal's biceps in the first photo!

Roland Garros 2014: THE DRAW IS OUT/Order of Play KbMxb9lRjuoMvOSiYi6w_imagesZXPZDUSX

How old was he then... 19?

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Mon May 19, 2014 11:16 pm

I pick Nadal. I think if it is Rafa vs Nole in the final, then Nole will have better than 50% chance but I think he is more likely to lose before the final.

But it is pretty close between the two for me.

Would love to see someone else to surprise and win.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon May 19, 2014 11:27 pm

Tenez wrote:Yes....though as Wilander said it was never close....we knew the 5th was going to be one sided.

I am thinking at Andujar, last year this german guy with a SHBH.
Yes, it would have to be someone who can blow him off the court like Soderling, or fast like Nishi.
But because it's best of 5 it would have to be someone fit with lots of belief. Not many that fit that description.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon May 19, 2014 11:37 pm

summerblues wrote:I pick Nadal.  I think if it is Rafa vs Nole in the final, then Nole will have better than 50% chance but I think he is more likely to lose before the final.

But it is pretty close between the two for me.

Would love to see someone else to surprise and win.

Dimi?

Btw, what do you make of his terrible performance the other day? I was really surprised. He actually looked scared.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Tue May 20, 2014 3:15 am

noleisthebest wrote:
summerblues wrote:Would love to see someone else to surprise and win.

Dimi?

Btw, what do you make of his terrible performance the other day? I was really surprised. He actually looked scared.
Sure, I would take Dimi, except I would then have to wake up to a disappointing reality?

I have no clue what that SF performance was about. He seemed to be mentally not ready at all. It is one thing to have a bad day at the office, but there was no fight in him, and he was just totally clueless. I hope he was hung over from too much drinking at his birthday celebration.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by truffin1 Tue May 20, 2014 3:49 am

I think my vote for djoko is the one that you couldn't figure out. I think his best is simply better than nadals.

I also think fed is the one who could knock djoko out, but it's too much to expect fed to beat nadal .

My hope for fed is a strong tourny- no injury, and go into Wimbledon feeling good. Then bring on nadal, djoko, whoever.

Btw- fed is already in Paris and practiced on center court at rg.

truffin1

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel Tue May 20, 2014 8:37 am

noleisthebest wrote:Check out he size of Nadal's biceps in the first photo!

Roland Garros 2014: THE DRAW IS OUT/Order of Play KbMxb9lRjuoMvOSiYi6w_imagesZXPZDUSX

Dunno, but I think it's sad that that bicep took him to so many victories.  Tennis is supposed to be more than that.

Daniel

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue May 20, 2014 9:03 am

truffin1 wrote:I think my vote for djoko is the one that you couldn't figure out.  I think his best is simply better than nadals.

I also think fed is the one who could knock djoko out, but it's too much to expect fed to beat nadal .

My hope for fed is a strong tourny- no injury, and go into Wimbledon feeling good. Then bring on nadal, djoko, whoever.

Did Fed tank in Rome? Diffiuclt to say. He says his family pushed him out and forced him to play. His pre match interview does not show a strong motivation. He beats Chardy 61 in first set to reassure himself his tennis is still there, makes it a tough 3 setter for the crowd, has even MP...and bows out to rejoin his family asap.

It doesn't matter either way anyway (whether he did or not tank).

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue May 20, 2014 9:49 am

FedererKing wrote:
Dunno, but I think it's sad that that bicep took him to so many victories.  Tennis is supposed to be more than that.
My observation was more to do with the size..twice as big as now, looks like a blown up michelin man.
Usually, players develop with age as they fill out naturally.
I think his guns are as big now as then.....which is impressive as as you say they should get bigger with age.....and they might as well be. However his whole body filled up and this is why they probably do not look as big comparatively.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue May 20, 2014 9:57 am

Tenez wrote:
truffin1 wrote:I think my vote for djoko is the one that you couldn't figure out.  I think his best is simply better than nadals.
Did Fed tank in Rome? Diffiuclt to say. He says his family pushed him out and forced him to play. His pre match interview does not show a strong motivation. He beats Chardy 61 in first set to reassure himself his tennis is still there, makes it a tough 3 setter for the crowd, has even MP...and bows out to rejoin his family asap.

Main thing is he kept his number 4 ranking for RG and Wimbledon. I have a feeling he'll do well in RG this year.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue May 20, 2014 10:40 am

Interesting read on The French at The French (Open):

http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2014/05/un-noahs-empty-ark/51490/#.U3sihcu9KSM

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue May 20, 2014 10:44 am

For those who haven't seen it, The French, a wonderful film/documentary!

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue May 20, 2014 11:16 am

I have just added RG's promo video in the thread...all fired up now, can't wait for it to start diva

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue May 20, 2014 11:34 am

noleisthebest wrote:
FedererKing wrote:
My observation was more to do with the size..twice as big as now, looks like a blown up michelin man.
Usually, players develop with age as they fill out naturally.
I think his guns are as big now as then.....which is impressive as as you say they should get bigger with age.....and they might as well be. However his whole body filled up and this is why they probably do not look as big comparatively.

I gather this was someone's reply to my post which somehow ended up  looking like I've both asked and answered the question in the "you talkin' to me?" fashion Laugh

Thanks for the reply, though. "You" are probably right, must be the sleeveless top effect. Thank God those days are over....Imagine him with the Pirate look now....someone in Nike should be fired for that visual travesty we had to endure...on top of everything else!!!!

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue May 20, 2014 11:58 am

Yes that was me mixing up my super powers of quoting as well as editing posters posts.
Was meant to quote of course. sorry.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue May 20, 2014 12:40 pm

The juice in Nadal's biceps must have caused a short circuit Winking

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue May 20, 2014 3:11 pm

I just won 2 wimby tickets for court 2 on day 9.....£75 for the pair......but frankly I don't want them. There won't be any interesting match there that day.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue May 20, 2014 3:18 pm

Well let me think....4 mens 1/4F and 0 ladies 1/4F..unless the weather is terrible on Tuesday....If whether is bad on Tuesday...then...

Oh too complicated...and unlikely as they'd make sure to play all women 1/4F on covered CC.

No don't think I'll accept it!

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by truffin1 Tue May 20, 2014 4:51 pm

Tenez wrote:

I don't think so.. though that little extra motivation to push himself over the line might have been lacking....  sometimes even subconsciously is enough...  1 more round further would have sewn up the #4 seeding so I think he would have wanted to beat Chardy...  The way he left it- Ferrer controlled that situation.

Here's a motivation question:
If Nadal and Stan are in semifinal 1 and Djoko/Fed in semi 2 at RG---   Nadal wins and is in the final.........   would Fed subconsciously or even consciously lack a little push to beat Djokovic?    I think he would at this point.

and the flipside.

Stan wins--  does Fed fight like a demon to beat Djokovic?.......     I think he and Djoko would play at an intensity rarely seen.. both playing for history.

truffin1

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue May 20, 2014 5:36 pm

truffin1 wrote:  1 more round further would have sewn up the #4 seeding so I think he would have wanted to beat Chardy...  The way he left it- Ferrer controlled that situation.
Good point. Though he said he did not want to go to Rome to start with (in a jokingly way anyway)

Here's a motivation question:
If Nadal and Stan are in semifinal 1 and Djoko/Fed in semi 2 at RG---   Nadal wins and is in the final.........   would Fed subconsciously or even consciously lack a little push to beat Djokovic?    I think he would at this point.
I think Fed would take the final any time. I am pretty sure he still believes that on the day he can win Nadal on clay.

and the flipside.

Stan wins--  does Fed fight like a demon to beat Djokovic?.......     I think he and Djoko would play at an intensity rarely seen.. both playing for history.
Well that would be a fight for sure.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Autumnleaf Tue May 20, 2014 6:00 pm

Posting didn't show up - here I try again...

To NITB: great job presenting the tournament. 

As much as it pains me to chose Nadal as the favourite to win, I still did it for the following reasons:  Wah 

1) I don't wanna let Nadal get away with his cowardly underdog routine. Yes, we get it, your clay season so far was the worst since 2004, but you still showed that you are able to outlast even very fit players in a best of 3  erm . It will be that much harder to win against you in a bo5, I honestly see only 2 players able to do that.

2) Nadal fitness will be supreme. Not sure, any other player with very few possible exception, are able to compete with him.

3) Provided Nadal doesn't flame out in earlier rounds (unlikely, see point 2), I'm afraid only on-fire Wawrinka or Djoko can stop him.

4) It's very possible these two will meet in the SF and tire each other out like in USO 13, while Nadal will probably have Fed and beat him in straights. Yikes Or Berdych. Roland Garros 2014: THE DRAW IS OUT/Order of Play 706916163

5) I rate Djoko's chance high to beat Nadal in the final  Thumbs Up (provided he is fit), but he has to get there first and he won't like any of his potential SF opponents (provided they make it so far). Still, a good chance for Djoko and I could have chosen him as well, if not for reason 1.  Nah-Nah 

That being said: I hope ardently I'm wrong. Nadal going out in R128 to D. Thiem or something like that and the tournament is saved from his grip on it!  Bubbly 

Dark horse - Nishikori
I like his style and if he can keep up physically he's got a good chance of upsetting top seeds. He'll need a good draw though, playing 2 or 3 top guys in a row will be too much. 

I don't see anybody else with much of a chance. Surprised, Fed has got two votes. He has a good and beautiful clay game, but has not convinced me this year with regard to stamina. Ran out of gas against Djoko in IW, against Wawrinka in MC, don't think he'll be up for the challenge. I expect a QF/SF showing.

Autumnleaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue May 20, 2014 6:11 pm

Good points..and you were right in the sense that you do not have much of different opinion than most of us here. Winking

I however believe that Stan has no chance v Nadal on clay at this stage...unless we have a very under par Nadal like we had at times in those previous 2014 tournaments.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by SayonaRa Tue May 20, 2014 8:35 pm

Tenez wrote:

I'm inclined to think he did, like the way you described the whole scenario. It doesn't make sense how he won the 1st set so swiftly but flopped all the way thereafter. Chardy was good but not THAT hard to beat for a fresh Fed. I think from now we will see more of these type of losses. The old man's priority has changed. He will only pick to fight the battles he wants to fight.

SayonaRa

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Wed May 21, 2014 8:19 am

No broadband/wi-fi - BT box died;
only phone, what a pain Sad

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Wed May 21, 2014 1:05 pm

noleisthebest wrote:No broadband/wi-fi - BT box died;
only phone, what a pain Sad
He,he, how cool is it that my tennis club has free wi-fi! Star
I'm going to be living here till 26th by which time BT have promised to fix the line...good job it happened BEFORE RG!!!!!
Heaven....I'm in heaven.... musicalnote 

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Wed May 21, 2014 7:50 pm

An interesting view of Nole's current game vs Nadal post Rome, Becker's role in it (as some here have been keen to know about it Winking) , and his chances ar RG:

"He was quite sensational, especially at the start of that second set - really dominating play, taking the racket out of the hand of Rafael Nadal and really going after it.

To be able to do that on a clay court - to be able to take the racket out of the hand of Rafa Nadal is almost impossible to do because nobody's been able to take that forehand with the heavy kick and take it on the rise and take it so early.

I also think the key was the return of serve - he returned magnificently off the forehand and backhand side.

It shows you the transformation of the player, willing to take it on the rise, even on the clay. Willing to come forward at times - at the right times - and that is the difference now.

Djokovic looks like he's getting that blend together.

I think Boris came into the camp trying to add another dimension to Djokovic because he realised 'I can't always win these matches by physically beating Nadal and these players from back court.
I think Boris came into the camp trying to add another dimension to Djokovic because he realised, 'I can't always win these matches by physically beating Nadal and these players from back court. I'm getting older, I need to come forward, I need to add variety to my game'.

You saw that working well the past few weeks and especially today - the backhand volley, the angle volley, sneaking in at times, the drop shot. Just adding a little more variety.

I thought it was very clever from Novak to have both Boris and Marian Vajda together for the first time - that's a winning combination.
There will be expectation but that's where Boris comes in because he'll say to Novak, 'let's put the pressure on Rafa, say Rafa's won it eight times and I've never won it.'

Obviously Djokovic]is the favourite going in and I think he'll play that psychological battle rather than last year when he announced that 'this is the most important thing for me, winning the French Open.

And you look at the fifth set when he lost to Nadal at the French last year, he was up a break, I think all that strain and pressure really got on top of him.

Nadal will be be very, very worried about Novak Djokovic coming into the French Open.

If he continues to play like this I think he might be the French Open champion"

http://www1.skysports.com/tennis/news/30780/9317479/novak-djokovic-favourite-for-french-open-after-rome-masters-win-says-greg-rusedski

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by paulcz Wed May 21, 2014 9:16 pm

noleisthebest wrote:An interesting view of Nole's current game vs Nadal post Rome, Becker's role in it (as some here have been keen to know about it Winking) , and his chances ar RG:

"He was quite sensational, especially at the start of that second set - really dominating play, taking the racket out of the hand of Rafael Nadal and really going after it.

To be able to do that on a clay court - to be able to take the racket out of the hand of Rafa Nadal is almost impossible to do because nobody's been able to take that forehand with the heavy kick and take it on the rise and take it so early.

I also think the key was the return of serve - he returned magnificently off the forehand and backhand side.

It shows you the transformation of the player, willing to take it on the rise, even on the clay. Willing to come forward at times - at the right times - and that is the difference now.

Djokovic looks like he's getting that blend together.

I think Boris came into the camp trying to add another dimension to Djokovic because he realised 'I can't always win these matches by physically beating Nadal and these players from back court.
I think Boris came into the camp trying to add another dimension to Djokovic because he realised, 'I can't always win these matches by physically beating Nadal and these players from back court. I'm getting older, I need to come forward, I need to add variety to my game'.

You saw that working well the past few weeks and especially today - the backhand volley, the angle volley, sneaking in at times, the drop shot. Just adding a little more variety.

I thought it was very clever from Novak to have both Boris and Marian Vajda together for the first time - that's a winning combination.
There will be expectation but that's where Boris comes in because he'll say to Novak, 'let's put the pressure on Rafa, say Rafa's won it eight times and I've never won it.'

Obviously Djokovic]is the favourite going in and I think he'll play that psychological battle rather than last year when he announced that 'this is the most important thing for me, winning the French Open.

And you look at the fifth set when he lost to Nadal at the French last year, he was up a break, I think all that strain and pressure really got on top of him.

Nadal will be be very, very worried about Novak Djokovic coming into the French Open.

If he continues to play like this I think he might be the French Open champion"

http://www1.skysports.com/tennis/news/30780/9317479/novak-djokovic-favourite-for-french-open-after-rome-masters-win-says-greg-rusedski
Nice interview from Greg, who I really like as a comentator.

When I heard that Marian sits with BB together in Rome and are going to be at RG, you could hear like a  stone dropped from hy heart. That is the best thing, which Nole's team can do.

I am also satisfied with a game, which Nole showed up in Rome. The winners from both wings and volleys in particular made our clown look like a new candidate for extras in a cheap film.

paulcz

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Wed May 21, 2014 11:08 pm

Greg thought that Nadal would win that final!

I disagree with Greg here (I agree with you he is usually better than he sounds) from this game. To me Nadal looked tired in that match.....and certainly lacking confidence. But that has been the case for Nadal this whole clay season except that on top of it he looked tired in the final whereas he was looking very fit prior to it. It's almost like he did not have the mental strength to go for a long fight v Djoko. And that Nadal is beatable by many players....not only Djoko!

Djoko will always have the upper hand v Nadal from now on. So I think Djoko would have won even if Nadal had played better....problem however is Djoko often losing those close games v Nadal when he should have won in 2 straight sets.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu May 22, 2014 12:00 am

Yes "that" Nadal IS beatable by many players, but how many have beaten him 7 times in a row, or currently 4 times. In the finals. Crossing the line is what matters and is considered success against him.
It is that knowledge that processes fear from Nadal's mind and translates it into heavy legs.
Nole has similar scars from Nadal: he has missed overheads, touching net, all sorts...that probably explains some of his "inexplicable" lapses and losses. Focus, just like momentum can be fragile, even if it hsppens for a minute or two only...
I also think that Nole's fearlesness when in full flow further paralyses Nadal.
I love watching Nole enter that demolition trance. That is his special ingredient that goes in the mix with everything else.
He has always had it, well before the super fit
days... It's that "nadal, you are beatable" from 2006 thing...

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri May 23, 2014 12:53 am

"Nadal is still the bookmakers' favourite to prolong his reign in Paris and can be relied upon to raise his level a notch or two over the next fortnight."
Interesting...

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by raiders_of_the_lost_ark Fri May 23, 2014 3:13 am

gallery play wrote:
Definitly!

It's ON!!. I'll send the matches of the day as soon as the schedule for the next day comes.

raiders_of_the_lost_ark

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Fri May 23, 2014 3:48 am

We are almost there.  Less than seven hours until the draw now.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri May 23, 2014 7:26 am

While we are waiting for the draw, here is a nice read of the 2004 RG final. That must have been the last slam final not featuring Nadal, Federer or Djokovic, 10 years and counting....

http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2014/05/death-dirt/51496/#.U37mmMu9KSM

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next