» US OPEN 2017
Today at 1:30 pm by ...

» 10 Years Ago...
Today at 11:49 am by Tenez

» Sharapova announces failed drug test
Yesterday at 7:21 pm by Daniel

» ATP Masters 1000: Cincinnati
Yesterday at 3:54 pm by Daniel

» Will Federer and Nadal Finally Meet At The US Open?
Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:45 am by Daniel

» Canadian Masters 1000
Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:27 am by legendkillar

» Another record for Federer coming up?
Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:46 pm by Daniel

» The doping program joke of the ITF!!!
Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:51 pm by legendkillar

» Justin Gatlin - what character!
Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:37 pm by legendkillar

August 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

Davis cup - quarterfinal

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Davis cup - quarterfinal

Post by Tenez on Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:31 pm

It looks like Golubev was 33 at 22 in 2010!!!!..and named the most improved player that year....so clearly the potential was there, better than Dimi for instance. Then he dropped back to over 200 which clearly was down to injuries or else. Just this year out of his 10 matches he retired twice apparently.

I remember I had noticed him 4 years ago and just remembered about him last weekend in his DC match.

Tenez

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by truffin1 on Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:19 pm

Tenez wrote:It looks like Golubev was 33 at 22 in 2010!!!!..and named the most improved player that year....so clearly the potential was there, better than Dimi for instance. Then he dropped back to over 200 which clearly was down to injuries or else. Just this year out of his 10 matches he retired twice apparently.

I remember I had noticed him 4 years ago and just remembered about him last weekend in his DC match.

Annacone alluded to a similar feeling to your earlier comment about Golubev's talent being right there after Fed's...   He and Gimelstob seemed perplexed as to why Golubev has remained somewhat unknown and not moved up the rankings..  they didn't seem to know about a particular injury that hampered him but came to that conclusion.  Annacone said at one point- -  when Golubev was redlining- just at his best, it looked to him like Golubev had a level that could match just about anyone in the world...   but he felt like Golubev hasn't learned to harness any consistency in that talent- that someone like Federer can play week in and week out at 85% which is going to beat just about everyone, then turn it up when he needs to-- while Golu seems to either be 99% or 20%..    They also seemed confused as his best results seems to be on surfaces that shouldn't max out his abilities while his worst were on surfaces where his talent should shine.

There were times when they were absolutely marveling at Federers skills.. Annacone would point out that what looked like a routine pickup was extremely complex and very few could pull it off beyond fluke luck, while Fed could do it year after year---------   then on the next note say "wow! Golubev just pulled off the same shot, look at his hands!!"    

Maybe this will be a springboard for Golubev.

btw-  if you don't get the USA feeds- try and find some replays where Annacone commenates on Fed'ss matches. It's fascinating because he is still so intune to what Federer is trying or doing, and drops little nuggets like "it was a constant struggle for 4 years to convince Roger to bring that shot back into the arsenal."   Much talk about Feds humility (which is so opposite of the perception people carry about Fed) and how the team often has to push Federer to remember "who he is" as Fed while confident did not have the arrogance on court that a Sampras has which can be a benefit at times.    Said Federer has a tendency to play Solid tennis at the beginning of a tight match  instead of just going out there and ripping it... and the times that Federer did go out in full force he could make anyone look ordinary from the start...   I think of some of the blitzing in the early sets against Nadal and Djokovic we have seen from Fed in the past--    vs... what I think Annacone was alluding too- the recent, play Nadal and Djokovic very close in the early goings, solid not going for too much and then hope to win the set late.

Annacone even called preshot some moves Federer made against Golubev on the returns which shows you how much tactic and pattern goes into a match vs. pure reaction or swing and see what happens that many think is the game.

truffin1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by truffin1 on Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:01 pm

Tenez wrote:“It’s great. I was hoping so much I was going to get a chance to play and not just watch Stan play,” said Federer. “I got the opportunity and I’m happy I lived up to the hype and the expectations, and I was able to get the boys through so very happy for them."
===========================
Am I the only one who reads a "touch" of arrogance here from Fed? Even if there is of course much truth in it?

PS - By rereading I guess he refers to his last match...not the encounter.
Fed is talking about hoping stan would win the 4th rubber so he would have a chance to play the last match.. Fed said this right after the match and it was in answer to a question that was basically "it must be a relief to have played such a great match after not knowing if you would get a chance. . I think it's a pretty straightforward not arrogant statement.. Pretty much the only answer you could give.  Has to be taken into context with all the "I believe in Stan and always will to the very end" "I fully expect Stan to win" statements before..

The more interesting statements from Fed all week was the  "I'm here for Stan, Severin and the guys, for the fans, and not the Tennis federation" statements.  He couldn't have been any clearer again and again that he either hates or is pissed off at the Swiss federation.  Very unlike his usualy PC comments.  I think he feels they have worked behind his back to pressure him into playing by feeding the "Federer only cares about his own carreer"  stuff to the swiss press..   Annacone mentioned how unfair it was because Federer has played DC while injured, picked up injuries playing DC that ruined parts of his season,etc--  and still got crap for not showing up every time- while none of the top guys have. 

it must have been a sweet feeling for Federer to basically singlehandedly carry the team this weekend. 

From Stan's statements- I get the feeling he would trade Swiss #1 with Fed in a second to get from under the burden he is feeling.   His hope will happen soon enough as Fed will pass him in ranking. but you can just see Stan is in tatters under the weight of expectations now.

truffin1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez on Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:31 pm

Thanks Truffin...Very interesting comments... will find time to reply later....

Tenez

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez on Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:02 am

truffin1 wrote:Annacone alluded to a similar feeling to your earlier comment about Golubev's talent being right there after Fed's...   He and Gimelstob seemed perplexed as to why Golubev has remained somewhat unknown and not moved up the rankings..  they didn't seem to know about a particular injury that hampered him but came to that conclusion.  Annacone said at one point- -  when Golubev was redlining- just at his best, it looked to him like Golubev had a level that could match just about anyone in the world...   but he felt like Golubev hasn't learned to harness any consistency in that talent- that someone like Federer can play week in and week out at 85% which is going to beat just about everyone, then turn it up when he needs to-- while Golu seems to either be 99% or 20%..    They also seemed confused as his best results seems to be on surfaces that shouldn't max out his abilities while his worst were on surfaces where his talent should shine.
Yep...not sure why either. The talent is there and from I saw this weekend, his head doesn't seem too bad either. He probably doesn't have as much drive as others, a bit like former-Gulbis I guess and at this level there is no room for leniency.

There were times when they were absolutely marveling at Federers skills.. Annacone would point out that what looked like a routine pickup was extremely complex and very few could pull it off beyond fluke luck, while Fed could do it year after year---------   then on the next note say "wow! Golubev just pulled off the same shot, look at his hands!!"    
I am glad to read that cause this is what I noted for years but only explained it to myself recently, essentially watching Stan and seeing how many balls he wasted by not being able to control the ball just with his hands (when for instance his body was not in a great position as it can happen when stretched or else). Federe can still do something with the ball and so does Gobulev...and to a lesser extend Dimi and Murray.

Hopefully!He was over 200 just 12 months ago and has climbed steadily since. I can't see why he would stall here. He is still 30 below than he was 4 years ago when he was 22.

btw-  if you don't get the USA feeds- try and find some replays where Annacone commenates on Fed'ss matches. It's fascinating because he is still so intune to what Federer is trying or doing, and drops little nuggets like "it was a constant struggle for 4 years to convince Roger to bring that shot back into the arsenal."   Much talk about Feds humility (which is so opposite of the perception people carry about Fed) and how the team often has to push Federer to remember "who he is" as Fed while confident did not have the arrogance on court that a Sampras has which can be a benefit at times.    Said Federer has a tendency to play Solid tennis at the beginning of a tight match  instead of just going out there and ripping it... and the times that Federer did go out in full force he could make anyone look ordinary from the start...   I think of some of the blitzing in the early sets against Nadal and Djokovic we have seen from Fed in the past--    vs... what I think Annacone was alluding too- the recent, play Nadal and Djokovic very close in the early goings, solid not going for too much and then hope to win the set late.
Again completely with all that. Where obviously I kind of disagreed with Annacone was about the racquet frame size. I said recently that Fed often plays at 85% most of the time but then decides to go full speed when against the wall or sometimes in TBs or when there is a possible break point. He will then go for balls he usually lets go and attack closer to the lines. Will try to look for Annacone comments. I remember Annacone when he was a young guy and qualified for Wimby 1/4F....a few year ago. He was a good volleyer.

Annacone even called preshot some moves Federer made against Golubev on the returns which shows you how much tactic and pattern goes into a match vs. pure reaction or swing and see what happens that many think is the game.
Which we had commentators as good here...though having said that Henman is much better than people give him credit for.

Tenez

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan on Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:27 pm

Tenez wrote:
laverfan wrote:Golubev was wonderful, but I am impressed with Nedvyesov. 

Golubev's claim to fame is a 2010 Hamburg title beating Melzer, otherwise nada. (PS: 24-21 W/L in 2010).

Congrats to SUI, but KAZ played excellent and had SUI fans in a dither. Run

Who is Nedvy? I agree about Gobulev....He should make a good progress soon.

Kaz? you mean Russia.
Nedvysov was Golubev's doubles partner against Federinka.

KAZ is the country symbol for Kazakhstan. Winking

laverfan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez on Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:06 pm

yes I know that but Gobu and Kukush are born Russians, learnt their tennis in Russia...so I was a bit sarcastic here.

Tenez

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by truffin1 on Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:07 pm

Tenez wrote:
truffin1 wrote:Annacone alluded to a similar feeling to your earlier comment about Golubev's talent being right there after Fed's...   He and Gimelstob seemed perplexed as to why Golubev has remained somewhat unknown and not moved up the rankings..  they didn't seem to know about a particular injury that hampered him but came to that conclusion.  Annacone said at one point- -  when Golubev was redlining- just at his best, it looked to him like Golubev had a level that could match just about anyone in the world...   but he felt like Golubev hasn't learned to harness any consistency in that talent- that someone like Federer can play week in and week out at 85% which is going to beat just about everyone, then turn it up when he needs to-- while Golu seems to either be 99% or 20%..    They also seemed confused as his best results seems to be on surfaces that shouldn't max out his abilities while his worst were on surfaces where his talent should shine.
Yep...not sure why either. The talent is there and from I saw this weekend, his head doesn't seem too bad either. He probably doesn't have as much drive as others, a bit like former-Gulbis I guess and at this level there is no room for leniency.

I am glad to read that cause this is what I noted for years but only explained it to myself recently, essentially watching Stan and seeing how many balls he wasted by not being able to control the ball just with his hands (when for instance his body was not in a great position as it can happen when stretched or else). Federe can still do something with the ball and so does Gobulev...and to a lesser extend Dimi and Murray.

Hopefully!He was over 200 just 12 months ago and has climbed steadily since. I can't see why he would stall here. He is still 30 below than he was 4 years ago when he was 22.

Again completely with all that. Where obviously I kind of disagreed with Annacone was about the racquet frame size.  I said recently that Fed often plays at 85% most of the time but then decides to go full speed when against the wall or sometimes in TBs or when there is a possible break point. He will then go for balls he usually lets go and attack closer to the lines. Will try to look for Annacone comments. I remember Annacone when he was a young guy and qualified for Wimby 1/4F....a few year ago. He was a good volleyer.

Which we had commentators as good here...though having said that Henman is much better than people give him credit for.

Annacone is very "zen"  I would love to be a fly on the wall of a conversation between him and Fed when he was coaching..  Annacone talks in very floaty, relaxed words and tones.   He is coaching Sloane Stephens now and they had him miked during a changeover when she called him over to coach and he talked about everything but tennis.. lol.. . purely to just relax her. He reminds me a little of Phil Jackson who is the NBA coach made famous with Michael Jordan and later the LA Lakers..

The interesting thing about his calls during Fed's return...  Fed would return about 3 backhands with a slice or chip.... and Annaocne would say "now here is where we worked on Roger should come over the top hard to the crosscourt- if he misses it or not, doesn't matter- but we wanted every 4th shot or so to be a message shot.....  and sure enough- that's what Federer would do.   It's clear Fed still plays with some patterns that Annacone and he worked on.

truffin1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez on Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:14 am

I am sure Annacone had some influence on Fed but with Fed we know it's all about instinct and execution. His level of execution dictates his tactics and probably not the other way around. So typically I can imagine Fed making up his mind quickly on how good he is going to execute on the day and from there he will be more or less tactical and more or less "instinct".

The question is can he stay fit long enough to win another slam!

Tenez

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ... on Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:27 pm

Tenez wrote:It looks like Golubev was 33 at 22 in 2010!!!!..and named the most improved player that year....so clearly the potential was there, better than Dimi for instance. Then he dropped back to over 200 which clearly was down to injuries or else. Just this year out of his 10 matches he retired twice apparently.

I liked Golub a lot, too.
The first and only other time I saw him play was a couple of years ago in Dubai, of all people - Marko Djokovic!!!
It was a close match, and Golubev did not look nearly as good as against Fed the other day.
I was switching between several matches and only saw the third set.
His BH was very good as well as the all attack game, it had a similar spirit to Fed's.
I've almost given up hope of seeing it in another player....and there he was all these years - Andrey Golubev!
I don't know whether he was tired in that third set as he could not match Fed in FH rallies, was a step too slow, but the tennis they produced was superb.
I really hope to see more of him, he should do well on grass.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez on Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:00 pm

SUI vs. KAZ WG QF, Switzerland; 04.04.2014; DC; Indoor: Hard; Draw: 4
RoundOpponentRankingScore 
RRStanislas Wawrinka (SUI)3W 7-6(5), 6-2, 3-6, 7-6(5)
RRRoger Federer (SUI)4L 6-7(0), 2-6, 3-6
This Event Points: , ATP Ranking: 64, Prize Money: $
ATP World Tour Masters 1000 Miami, FL, U.S.A.; 19.03.2014; 1000; Outdoor: Hard; Draw: 96
Q1Marius Copil (ROU)159W 6-4, 7-6(3)Stats
Q2Damir Dzumhur (BIH)160W 6-4, 6-2Stats
R128Ivan Dodig (CRO)37L 6-4, 1-6, 4-6Stats
This Event Points: 26, ATP Ranking: 70, Prize Money: $9,165
Irving, TX, U.S.A.; 10.03.2014; CH; Outdoor: Hard; Draw: 32
R32Tim Smyczek (USA)N/AL 3-6, 0-3 RETStats
This Event Points: , ATP Ranking: , Prize Money: $1,300
ATP World Tour Masters 1000 Indian Wells, CA, U.S.A.; 06.03.2014; 1000; Outdoor: Hard; Draw: 96
R128Ryan Harrison (USA)117L 4-6, 5-7Stats
This Event Points: 10, ATP Ranking: 70, Prize Money: $11,000
Dubai, U.A.E.; 24.02.2014; 500; Outdoor: Hard; Draw: 32
R32Nikolay Davydenko (RUS)63L 6-7(6), 4-6Stats
This Event Points: , ATP Ranking: 72, Prize Money: $13,460
Astana, Kazakhstan; 17.02.2014; CH; Indoor: Hard; Draw: 32
R32Adrian Sikora (SVK)277W 6-1, 7-6(4)Stats
R16Evgeny Korolev (KAZ)421W 6-1, 6-1Stats
QAlexander Kudryavtsev (RUS)202W 6-1, 6-2Stats
SNikoloz Basilashvili (GEO)378W 3-6, 6-2, 6-1Stats
WGilles Muller (LUX)318W 6-4, 6-4Stats
This Event Points: 90, ATP Ranking: 86, Prize Money: $10,800
Zagreb, Croatia; 03.02.2014; 250; Indoor: Hard; Draw: 28
R32Victor Hanescu (ROU)73W 7-6(6), 4-6, 7-6(5)Stats
R16Philipp Kohlschreiber (GER)27L 4-6, 2-6Stats
This Event Points: 20, ATP Ranking: 87, Prize Money: €7,405
KAZ vs. BEL WG 1st RD, Kazakhstan; 31.01.2014; DC; Indoor: Hard; Draw: 4
RRDavid Goffin (BEL)113W 7-6(9), 3-6, 4-6, 6-2, 12-10
RRRuben Bemelmans (BEL)163W 6-2, 6-3, 6-1
This Event Points: , ATP Ranking: 88, Prize Money: €
Australian Open, Australia; 13.01.2014; GS; Outdoor: Hard; Draw: 128
R128Stanislas Wawrinka (SUI)8L 4-6, 1-4 RETStats
This Event Points: 10, ATP Ranking: 85, Prize Money: A$30,000
Sydney, Australia; 06.01.2014; 250; Outdoor: Hard; Draw: 28
Q1Dane Propoggia (AUS)471W 7-6(4), 6-3Stats
Q2Henri Laaksonen (SUI)236L 5-7, 1-6Stats
This Event Points: , ATP Ranking: 84, Prize Money: $360
Brisbane, Australia; 29.12.2013; 250; Outdoor: Hard; Draw: 28
Q1Andrew Whittington (AUS)372W 6-2, 6-7(3), 6-2Stats
Q2Thanasi Kokkinakis (AUS)628L 4-6, 5-7Stats
This Event Points: , ATP Ranking: 82, Prize Money:

==================
That's his year activity. Frankly he has not done much...besides winning Kaz tournament with local players! So strange results here.

Tenez

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ... on Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:28 pm

I am not surprised to have seen two such different Golubovs.

That chart shows he seems to play well against fellow Russians and East Europeans, even scored a win against Davydenko.

I can only explain it with the fact that Slavic players seem to generally lack long-term perseverance and grit, just a bit soft inside.
The only player that didn't seem to struggle like that was Lendl and now Novak (although he too is quite emotional but seems to also have strong will).
Who knows, maybe even Ivan's "ironman" image was just a facade...

I am in two minds about Davydenko though, could he have done more with his talent?

Safin, Gulbis, Goran etc...all love(d) life more than sweating in the gym.

So, I don't know what to expect from Golub, will keep an eye on him.
Maybe these two good matches against Stan and Fed will have inspired him and given him a bit of confodence.
There really is no obvious reason why he should not be ranked higher.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez on Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:01 pm

Yes, it's a good point you make. Kafel was also just happy to be a top player and threw away many matches by lack of willpower and we all remember Medvedev being completely overwhelmed by his girlfriend the day before his FO final!

I think they are just happy to have made it and put success in perspective...which to me is a sign of wisdom.

Tenez

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ... on Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:51 pm

Yes, that generation had less pressure than today's I think, they were allowed to be a bit more human which is why we had such genuinely colourful and charismatic characters.
Now, everything can be manufactured...even when there is a bit of love on the scene, you never know whether it's just a PR exercise or the real thing (Dimitrov with Serena Williams for example).

It's hard to imagine any current player come up and say this in their press conference:

" I don't think there is anybody happier on earth than me right now,'' Medvedev exulted after dispatching 1997 champion Gustavo Kuerten 7-5, 6-4, 6-4 Wednesday. ''It is like a second birth in tennis, in life.

''When there is love, you're inspired, you can write poems, you can write music, you can play good tennis.''

So lovely....

Now...it's gone to an extreme; top players live in isolated, focused bubbles, especially with the physical side added as a basic requirement.

It takes almost an unnatural amount of self-discipline to live like that week in week out.

People criticise Gulbis for being lazy, but when you look at his make-up, background and circumstances, he is actually very driven.
So that part of the world may not have the natural aggression, but it does produce a good contrast to the rest.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez on Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:51 pm

Yes agree about Gulbis. He really works very hard compared to other wealthy pepole's children.

You managed to find Medvedev interview? he was in love with a German tennis player if I remember correctly...isn't one who gets to make interviews on Eurosport with Wilander?

Tenez

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ... on Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:55 pm

No, not her. I think the one with Wilander is Barbara Schnett or stg.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ... on Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:03 pm

It's funny and nice how tennis world is all connected.
Dolgo's dad used to be Medvedev's coach and commentators often mention how little Dolgo spent so much time growing up on tennis courts alongside his dad and tennis stars of that era, hitting with them as a boy...he must have been really cute as apparently he was tiny for his age which is why dad never wanted him seriously in tennis.

That may explain his ultra aggressive style as an attempt to compensate for his size.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez on Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:06 am

Medvedev is one of my top 5 favourite player ever. top 2 on clay.

Tenez

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ... on Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:32 am

He played with a lot of gusto and soul. Real tennis.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ... on Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:45 am

Clay is such an interesting surface and so different from (real) grass.
I have always enjoyed the closeness of Roland Garros and Wimbledon and the sharp contrast they used to provide in so many ways.

I am finally going to have an opportunity play on both surfaces for the first time. Stoke Park have laid new floodlit clay courts so will be going there for a day in a few weeks, really look forward to it!

Then on grass when they start the season in June. I am so excited, I feel like I am entering a new dimension/chapter in my tennis life!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez on Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:40 am

noleisthebest wrote:He played with a lot of gusto and soul. Real tennis.

Beautiful striker of the ball. Clean, flat hit! A Nalbandian type.

Tenez

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez on Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:42 am

noleisthebest wrote:Clay is such an interesting surface and so different from (real) grass.
I have always enjoyed the closeness of Roland Garros and Wimbledon and the sharp contrast they used to provide in so many ways.

I am finally going to have an opportunity play on both surfaces for the first time. Stoke Park have laid new floodlit clay courts so will be going there for a day in a few weeks, really look forward to it!

Then on grass when they start the season in June. I am so excited, I feel like I am entering a new dimension/chapter in my tennis life!

They have probably laid "artificial clay" isn't it? Which is kind of red grass with lots of sand.

Tenez

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ... on Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:49 am

I have no idea!
Will find out soon...red grass with sand sounds horrible  Yikes 

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez on Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:17 pm

noleisthebest wrote:I have no idea!
Will find out soon...red grass with sand sounds horrible  Yikes 

I'd be surprised if they were laying old natural clay outdoors.

Tenez

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ... on Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:25 pm

They should for the money they are charging full members!
I'm just taking a day package, use of all their facilities plus a 2 course meal!  smiley 

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by truffin1 on Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:41 pm

noleisthebest wrote:Clay is such an interesting surface and so different from (real) grass.

Clay is an unusual surface from where you are from?  I thought clay was everywhere.

I am lucky in my area- we have a beautiful clay facility where the WTA Family Circle Cup is played,  3 proper slick lowbouncing grass courts at it's sister facility, and hard courts everywhere!!  Only missing indoors as the weather here lends itself to year round outdoor play.

truffin1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ... on Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:54 pm

Truffin, count yourself a lucky man!

UK, the land of Wimbledon etc, is not a tennis friendly land...there are many clubs, but few with indoor facilities, so it's just tough...I played in below zero last winter.
Where I am it's all low maintenance concrete and some green porose cover surface for the oldies. I am actually yet to see a clay court in the UK!
There is a fantstic club with all surfaces incl indoor,  a national sport centre where Olympic athletes were training not far away, but it's a pain to go there when I have a nice club just 2 mins away.
Then there is Stoke Park, where I'll be going to try clay and grass, a luxury club for local snobs.
However,  they run a very nice exo pre-Wimbledon tournament called Boodles and I go every year now, as you get to see very top players in a very intimate, beautiful setting have fun and play tennis for next to nothing.
Last year I saw Djokovic - Dimitrov, and Dolgopolov - Cilic and had a great time as I sat in the first row and chatted to players all the time, it's a nice, relaxed atmosphere, excellent warm-up for Wimbledon.
Unfortunately, Fed has never been there, he always does his prep in Halle.
You never know, though...it would be sublime to see him play on grass from that close up!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by truffin1 on Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:54 pm

noleisthebest wrote:Truffin, count yourself a lucky man!

UK, the land of Wimbledon etc, is not a tennis friendly land...there are many clubs, but few with indoor facilities, so it's just tough...I played in below zero last winter.
Where I am it's all low maintenance concrete and some green porose cover surface for the oldies. I am actually yet to see a clay court in the UK!
There is a fantstic club with all surfaces incl indoor,  a national sport centre where Olympic athletes were training not far away, but it's a pain to go there when I have a nice club just 2 mins away.
Then there is Stoke Park, where I'll be going to try clay and grass, a luxury club for local snobs.
However,  they run a very nice exo pre-Wimbledon tournament called Boodles and I go every year now, as you get to see very top players in a very intimate, beautiful setting have fun and play tennis for next to nothing.
Last year I saw Djokovic - Dimitrov, and Dolgopolov - Cilic and had a great time as I sat in the first row and chatted to players all the time, it's a nice, relaxed atmosphere, excellent warm-up for Wimbledon.
Unfortunately, Fed has never been there, he always does his prep in Halle.
You never know, though...it would be sublime to see him play on grass from that close up!

amazing nole....  In my mind, I guess I always pictured it differently- so tied into the mecca of tennis with Wimbledon.   I wonder if there is a market for a proper club with excellent courts.. something that was reasonable for the general public...   any investors willing? :-)

I live on the East Coast of USA- and it really is amazing weather year round...    Lots of money which means lots of top facilities, but they are pretty inclusive.  Myself and grandkids can pretty much play at any facility for extremely reasonable membership fees..   I pay $125 twice a year for a family membership to a beautiful hard and clay court facility and then    the Daniel Island facility where the WTA event and other events are held, we get a great discount since I am involved in the tournament...  

I also play on USTA teams which allows us to play all the local facilities as we play teams from those facilities.. a great way to play the different courts.

It's pretty amazing to me that the USA can't produce another great player as there are amazing programs for kids--   not just wealthy kids--   all type of programs for poor families to get great training and development.  My local club worked with a Mexican immigrant's kids and they had free lessons and run of the facility starting as toddlers--   the oldest son is now a college scholarship player-  probably a challenger tour level pro if he had better size.
Anyway- you would think someone would rise to the top with all these programs in place.

truffin1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Back to top