» I can't fucking stand Zverev's game
Today at 10:12 am by gallery play

» Wimbledon 2017 Talk
Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:48 pm by legendkillar

» Grass Season - Expectations
Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:55 am by DECIMA

» Cristiano Ronaldo statue
Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:08 pm by Veejay

» Federer Definitely Has Stocholm Syndrome!
Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:15 am by Daniel

June 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

Murray Parts With Lendl

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Murray Parts With Lendl

Post by ... on Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:30 pm

I must admit, I didn't see it coming...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/26646809

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Murray Parts With Lendl

Post by Tenez on Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:56 pm

Neither did I.....was about to post it too.

The thing is those coaches are expensive and since it doesn't take that many weeks to learn what they have to teach, after a while it is better financially to dump them.

Long term coaches are those you get along well and don't pay too much.

Tenez

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ... on Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:59 pm

Should Becker feel threatened?  Whistle

After all, Nole and Vajda originally went through a list of 5 top coaches (I wonder who they were) before ending up with Becker who was not in that initial first group/choice.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez on Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:44 pm

It would be a blow for Becker...and Murray if Lendl goes on to work for Djoko.

Tenez

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ... on Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:46 pm

Lendl-Nole sounds quite good. Perfect, in fact!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez on Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:05 pm

I agree....But I like Vajda...He seems like a genuine nice guy.

Tenez

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ... on Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:06 pm

Yes, he is, a gentle soul.
Seems he's had enough of the job, though.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ... on Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:08 pm

It will be interesting to see how Murray carries on without Lendl now...

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ... on Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:45 pm

My Dunlop Maxplay has just turned up!!!
What a beauty  Love Blush 

It weighs a ton, shows 406g on my kitchen scale...

I am planning a special day out with a fellow enthusiast from the club at Stoke Park, she has also just bought a wooden Slaez,  will be my first ever time to play on grass, can't wait!
We'll bring strawberries and champers to get in the mood.....I've earnt it after all these years of waiting!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez on Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:04 pm

noleisthebest wrote:My Dunlop Maxplay has just turned up!!!
What a beauty  Love Blush 

It weighs a ton, shows 406g on my kitchen scale...

I am planning a special day out with a fellow enthusiast from the club at Stoke Park, she has also just bought a wooden Slaez,  will be my first ever time to play on grass, can't wait!
We'll bring strawberries and champers to get in the mood.....I've earnt it after all these years of waiting!

That's heavy...but not surprising. And it was a light one compared to other models.

Tenez

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues on Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:14 am

I did not see this coming.  All in all, it strikes me as a definitely good move for Lendl (unless he needs the money badly) while more questionable for Andy.  It could work out ok, but it could also be a disaster.

I never thought that Boris would last longer with Nole than Lendl with Andy.

summerblues

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ... on Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:24 am

With all these "must have" teams: fitness trainers, physios,  doctors, nutritionists,  emotional "rocks", family, girlfriends, coaches, PR teams etc, it makes you wonder how far all these players would get on their own with a bottle of water, an apple, a sandwich and a towel in their bag.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez on Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:40 am

noleisthebest wrote:With all these "must have" teams: fitness trainers, physios,  doctors, nutritionists,  emotional "rocks", family, girlfriends, coaches, PR teams etc, it makes you wonder how far all these players would get on their own with a bottle of water, an apple, a sandwich and a towel in their bag.

Which is roughly all lesser players have on tour. This helps so much dig the gap between top and the rest.

This is what I noticed when LS wondered why Murray have progressed so much compared to other youngsters.

The year Murray won the USO as a Junior, Chardy had won Wimbledon Junior. Suddenly the LTA takes charge of Murray and invest ££millions while Chardy goes his own way without support. They then both have completely different improvement trajectories.

Tenez

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ... on Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:46 am

I didn't know Chardy won Wimbledon as a junior...he has a nice game.

I still can't believe that Murray won Wimbledon and USO without a forehand! Just shows what money and abit of hard work can achieve in tennis...

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ... on Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:04 am

P.Bodo's take on the subject:

"I will always be in Andy's corner and wish him nothing but great success as he too goes into a new phase of his career.”—Ivan Lendl, quoted in Andy Murray’s blog on the termination of their coaching relationship.

With that gracious comment, one of the most interesting and wildly successful coaching experiments has come full circle. The partnership lasted two years and change, and the way it played out underscored one of its great strengths. Lendl didn’t really need Andy Murray’s money; he was free to walk away any time he so chose, without a care in the world. This was a satisfying story with a logical beginning, middle, and end. That Lendl could claim “mission accomplished” only adds luster to the saga.

Besides, if you look at it from Lendl’s perspective, you have to wonder what upside might have remained for him as Murray enters this “new phase” of his career. If you track Murray’s results since he became the first British man to win Wimbledon in 77 years last July, you would be entitled to feel that while Lendl is by no means abandoning a sinking ship, he may be getting out while the getting’s good—or at least avoiding what might be a long, arduous effort to bolster the chances of his now ex-protégé.

Murray lost in the quarterfinals of last year’s U.S. Open, then took the rest of the year off to undergo minor back surgery. He returned in January, and has yet to make a final in five tournaments.

Lendl probably has better things to do than re-re-organize Murray’s game. He pointed the Scot to a path through a woods that Murray, in 2011, was in grave danger of never finding. You can’t put a price tag on that.

But Lendl also knows that Murray is without a doubt the junior member of the still-intact Big Four. Roger Federer, another member of that august company, recently leapfrogged back over Murray to the No. 5 spot, and beating Rafael Nadal (5-13 head-to-head record) and Novak Djokovic (8-11 head-to-head record) will forever be a big ask.

With or without Lendl, Murray has had to really struggle to keep pace with those icons.

"I'm eternally grateful to Ivan for all his hard work over the past two years, the most successful of my career so far," said Murray.

It turns out that Lendl not only directed Murray to the path he needed to take, but perhaps Lendl himself was also shown a path—one leading back to the game that he seemed to renounce, as so many great champions do, when he retired. In working with Murray, Lendl may have re-discovered the joy of being in and around the game.  

"As a team, we've learned a lot and it will definitely be of benefit in the future,” Murray said. That “we” probably includes Lendl—and should if it does not. His popularity, never his strong suit as an active player, has grown immensely. Ivan Lendal is back, playing in old dude events that suddenly seem more viable because of the recent activities of himself, Edberg, Becker et al.

As for Murray, the sub-text here is clear: It’s time for him to put on big-boy pants."

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez on Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:29 am

Still in the middle of reading it but that caught my eye: "Lendl didn’t really need Andy Murray’s money;" Wrong! Lendl doesn't care about tennis and only went through the pain of coaching Murray and the travelling because of money!

Like he does the senior tour now for money again....nothing else....otherwise he would be on his golf course.

Tenez

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ... on Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:33 am

I agree.
Lendl has always struck me as a "sufferer" and a worker on the court, despite being a great player, just didn't have the joy streak in him, like Mac, for example.
The comment that grass is only for cows gives it all away!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez on Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:41 am

Yes and all that money accumulated often disappears after successive stock exchange crashes and pretty high life style.

I am not saying he is broke yet....but he is very young and has a few daughters. He had had virtually no money coming in since his retirement and this why he also came back and tried to commentate on tennis matches. He started to admit that he had not followed the sport since his left and had no clue who were the guys at the top.

So he most likely forced himself in renewing interest in the game as he knew that would be his best chance to make money on a field he is known as being one of the greatest player.

Tenez

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ... on Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:31 pm

I'm happy he was able to make a bit of cash from Murray, money wasn't so good in his days.
It's interesting how from that generation not many have stayed in tennis: basically only Mac, Wilander and now Courier.
Leconte is always happy to have a jolly, too.
Borg, Sampras, Aggassi...couldn't care less.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ... on Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:37 pm

Murray probably would have never won a slam without Lendl (and even those involved luck with the draw, wind etc.)
The question now is, will he win any more?

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez on Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:10 pm

noleisthebest wrote:Murray probably would have never won a slam without Lendl (and even those involved luck with the draw, wind etc.)
The question now is,  will he win any more?

Yeah...I think there was a bigger part of luck for his slams than for the other slam winners....even if winning 2 should diminish the luck part.

Tenez

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ... on Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:20 pm

To me, it's amazing that Murray won Wimbledon and Lendl didn't.
That shows how much tennis has gone down the pan.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez on Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:28 pm

noleisthebest wrote:To me, it's amazing that Murray won Wimbledon and Lendl didn't.
That shows how much tennis has gone down the pan.

Certainly though Murray is not that bad at the net. Lendl was pretty unlucky to have learnt the game with a wooden racquet and had his best chance to win v players who had learnt the game with larger frame. His volleying which was not bad would have been better...but when he learnt tennis, the way forward was baseline tennis (Borg).

Tenez

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ... on Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:34 pm

I keep hearing that Murray is not bad at the net, but every time I've watched him he was rarely there and even on those rare occasions pretty average.
With modern strings, players are living on the baseline and competely lost the feel for the ball.
Spin and power seem to be everything now.

Thankfully, there are still a few magicians around...

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez on Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:58 pm

yes he chose the safer route but his big arms help his volleying a lot. When he gets there he has a sturdy control of the racquet head.

Tenez

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ... on Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:32 pm

I have seen Murry briefly a few times this year, and his tennis was worse than ever, I think he was trying hard to spin his FH more than ever, and looked ridiculous.
Even moved considerably back on serve returns.
The only time he looked relatively good was in that match against Federer in AO.
He won a few matches on pure choking from the opponents.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ... on Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:45 pm

A few more reactions on, what now turns out to be Murray sacking Lendl:

"Lendl helped Murray win two Grand Slam titles, but it was announced yesterday that the two are parting ways after just over two years together.

Andrew Castle told STV he was "absolutely amazed" by the unexpected news and did not see it as a positive development.

"I was with Ivan Lendl two-and-a-half weeks ago and sat with him for hours," said the former British No. 1.

“He was in very high spirits about working with Andy and all aspects. For me it feels a bit negative that Lendl and Murray have split."

Meanwhile, former British player Barry Cowan told Sky Sports that he was "very shocked and surprised," but that it could "benefit" Murray.

"Now I think they have just reached an amicable stage where Andy needs to work it out for himself, what he wants for himself for the next two, three or four years," he said.

"Andy is a special talent and a great player, but clearly if you look at his performances this year he hasn't looked like someone who is necessarily enjoying his tennis on the court.

"He also had that back injury which clearly affects your mentality but what is important, and we haven't really seen this from Andy since he won Wimbledon, is what are his next goals."

Murray won Wimbledon last year, but underwent back surgery after the U.S. Open and has not reached a final since returning at the beginning of this season. Though he says his play is improving, the world No. 6 struggled to explain his lack of "confidence" in a three-set loss to Milos Raonic at Indian Wells.

But former No. 4 Greg Rusedski thinks Lendl will be difficult to replace. "Given that the average coaching relationship on the ATP tour lasts about 18 months, you could argue that Ivan Lendl's stint with Andy Murray -- which extended just a couple of months over two years -- did better than expected. However, the odd thing is that they should abandon a partnership that has been so blazingly successful," he said in a column for the Telegraph.

"Maybe Ivan felt he contributed everything he had to their partnership. [But] without him, it will be that bit harder for Andy to life his momentum and intensity in the build-up to his Wimbledon title defence."

From tennis.com

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel on Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:07 pm

Special talent? Is he joking?

Daniel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez on Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:14 pm

Reading Murray's further interview on the bbc it seems it is Lendl who decided to part....but reading this now, it is unclear.

At the end I still think it is Andy who chose to move on but he is saying lots of good things about Lendl cause they probably respect each other.

At the end of the day...I don't care  Cool .

Tenez

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top