Our Tennis Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» I Just Can't Help Believing!
nadal - Nadal talking about "tactics" when facing Federer.  EmptySat Mar 23, 2024 9:00 pm by noleisthebest

» The Bullshit of Rafael Nadal
nadal - Nadal talking about "tactics" when facing Federer.  EmptyMon Feb 12, 2024 12:15 am by Daniel2

» Why Trump's 'tough' stance on radical Islam... could lead to more terrorism
nadal - Nadal talking about "tactics" when facing Federer.  EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:32 am by Daniel2

» Missing Madeline 10 years on..
nadal - Nadal talking about "tactics" when facing Federer.  EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:31 am by Daniel2

» '15 Dubious Weak Era Records'
nadal - Nadal talking about "tactics" when facing Federer.  EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:06 am by Daniel2

» AO 2024 - Sinner baby!!
nadal - Nadal talking about "tactics" when facing Federer.  EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:05 am by Daniel2

» Paris Masters
nadal - Nadal talking about "tactics" when facing Federer.  EmptyMon Nov 06, 2023 9:47 pm by noleisthebest

» Alvarez could bring me back to tennis
nadal - Nadal talking about "tactics" when facing Federer.  EmptyWed Sep 20, 2023 10:25 am by raiders_of_the_lost_ark

» IDEMOOOOOOO! ! ! !
nadal - Nadal talking about "tactics" when facing Federer.  EmptyMon Sep 11, 2023 9:47 am by noleisthebest

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

Nadal talking about "tactics" when facing Federer.

4 posters

Go down

nadal - Nadal talking about "tactics" when facing Federer.  Empty Nadal talking about "tactics" when facing Federer.

Post by Tenez Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:35 am

This is last year IW post match transcript of Federer. Federer had a bad back (already obvious v Stan and even the guy before Stan) but Nadal talks about his "knee" injury and how he would have to play differently v Federer this time. Here is Federer's response.

ROGER FEDERER

THE MODERATOR:  Questions, please.

Q.  How much of an issue was the back tonight?
ROGER FEDERER:  Same as against Stan.  I mean, I could play.  I'm happy to be out there and able to compete, you know.
But it's obviously a small issue.  That doesn't work against guys like Rafa, obviously.

Q.  At what point did you kind of feel this wasn't going to be your night?
ROGER FEDERER:  Hanging in there in the first set, so you always believe that with a good return game, and, you know, I dug myself out of a couple of tough service games, that I could do it, you know.
The longer the match went on, I realized I had to change up my game.  I played differently than I was hoping to be able to.  Obviously he got more comfortable as the match went on, as well.  Things became difficult.
Obviously once I was down a set I knew it was going to be difficult.

Q.  Last night Rafa said that the strategy that he has always used against you, it was always going to be very difficult to apply tonight because of the condition of his knee.  Did you notice something different compared to the other time you played together?
ROGER FEDERER:  Tonight?  He played totally different than the last few times I played against him.
No, it was the same thing.  Yeah.

And then it seems Federer is the only one not surprised by Nadal's returns' great form.

Q. Kind of related to that, when you came in here, there was a lot of talk about him being tentative, or were you surprised just how well he was moving out there?
ROGER FEDERER: No, I mean, he's not going to come back if he's not well. He's not going to come back half broken. I expected him to tear through the clay. I expected him to be tough here, which he shows to be.
No question, you know, he's a bit careful at times, you know, his movement. That's totally normal. Hasn't played for some time on hard court. I don't know if it's careful or if it's just getting used to it again.
But we're talking about slow clay courts. He can return from way back in the court. It's not like on a hard court where you have to react super fast. And even that would be no problem for him, otherwise he wouldn't have come back on tour.
So I don't understand the talk in the first place after the three tournaments he played on clay.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

nadal - Nadal talking about "tactics" when facing Federer.  Empty Re: Nadal talking about "tactics" when facing Federer.

Post by N2D2L Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:48 pm

If you have a tactic against someone that works, why change it?
Only if you are losing to someone should you look to change something.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

nadal - Nadal talking about "tactics" when facing Federer.  Empty Re: Nadal talking about "tactics" when facing Federer.

Post by noleisthebest Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:18 pm

What a beautiful day!!!
Just came back from the courts, felt like summer.

I talked to two brother coaches in the club and asked  about when/how they started etc....which inevitably led to the question: When did you realise you were not going to be a pro?
The answer was: 16.
Then, the second inevitable question after that one was: was it because the lack of finance (which usually is the story), but was surprised that his dad advised him to turn down the LTA London tennis academy offer (which was offering only 3 GCSEs and an A level on top of all tennis "study"), and get full, proper education BECAUSE HE COULD GET INJURED AND THEN HAVE NO CAREER AND PLAN B.
So, he followed his dad's advice, got a university degree, and is happy working as a coach now.
Me being me, I had to ask the final inevitable question: would you have done the same if you could have it all over again? And the answer was: yes....

When I read the OP, I thought about Nadal, Federer etc...all being 16 and having to make the same choice.
Did they all fear injuries?
Then I thought about Tenez's explanation of Nadal's one-off "family" coaching scenario, (his other uncle a famous fit&strong footballer, easy access to any "help" needed along the way, long history of doping across all sports in Spain) where his uncle had free reign to experiment to his heart content.
We saw the video of Nadal playing Gasquet at 13, looking a "normal" skinny teenager.
And then, the next thing - he bursts on the scene, sleeveless, looking like a body builder at the age of 16-17, playing very physical tennis.
Can we think of any current 17 year old player with that "ability"?

Looking back, I can only remember Boris Becker being physically advanced for his age when he won Wimbledon at 17.
Wasn't there some rumour  involving horse blood?

The fact is, Becker did not play attritional tennis like Nadal and had a good attacking game in fast conditions. I can't remember if Becker had many injuries.
Still...

How was Nadal able to play all that physical tennis so long from such a young age and get away with tendonitis only. And a suspect case at that?
He doesn't go to the gym, he expands twice as much energy as any other player, he always talks about being injured but his tennis doesn't show any signs of it.
No wonder Federer has heard it all before....

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:35 pm

yes becker got a few injuries along the way. Often had problem with his legs but his most sever was when ligament of his wrist snapped during Wimbledon. He still came back a year later and further years later reached the final of Wimby v Pete.

Problem with Becker is that his mobility became very quickly very poor. He is the kind of guys who would gone nowhere today.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:46 pm

Julia Santamaria wrote:If you have a tactic against someone that works, why change it?
Sure. so why say he would? That's the main point...Nadal likes to believe he has a complete game and can vary...when we all know he can't.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:05 pm

I don't think to be honest we can infer a lot from this match, I mean it was clear Federer was injured and immobile so it never really was a contest and a stroll really for Nadal as the match went on.

In terms of Nadal, in general in 2013 he took the forehand down the line a lot earlier and more aggressive than he has in the past. And you know what? You've said it yourself, if you want I can find the quotes, you yourself say that Nadal is playing more aggressively.

Tenez wrote:Sure. so why say he would? That's the main point...Nadal likes to believe he has a complete game and can vary...when we all know he can't.
This quote is interesting, but more so in terms of how you think rather than what Nadal is saying.
I think it's clear the match was a non-contest, Federer was clearly immobile, we can't really draw much from it. I mean Nadal was moving Federer around, but as I said Federer couldn't play at full pace.

Let's say I give you this, and say we assume that what you're saying is correct. Nadal saying this, or the contents of the match, would not disprove what you're saying.
Now let's assume you're wrong, and Nadal did look to make changes (with a more aggressive FH DTL etc.), this match would not prove you correct either.
So either way this anticlimax of a match would not prove or disprove what you are saying.

But yet... your instant reaction when seeing the quotes and the match is that it backs what your pre-held views are even further.
That is how you look at things, you see things not as an opportunity to challenge your viewpoints or even in a balanced way, but simply to try and find a way to twist it so it boosts your opinion further.
I mean you may as well be watching reports of Federer playing doubles with Stan, and your immediate thoughts will probably be something like 'ah yes, this proves I was right all along, Nadal really does have no talent'.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:11 pm

Tenez wrote:
Julia Santamaria wrote:If you have a tactic against someone that works, why change it?
Sure. so why say he would? That's the main point...Nadal likes to believe he has a complete game and can vary...when we all know he can't.

Exactly. Luckily, the conditions suit his boring defence.

Daniel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down