Our Tennis Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» I Just Can't Help Believing!
federer - Court Pace...Federer's view EmptySat Mar 23, 2024 9:00 pm by noleisthebest

» The Bullshit of Rafael Nadal
federer - Court Pace...Federer's view EmptyMon Feb 12, 2024 12:15 am by Daniel2

» Why Trump's 'tough' stance on radical Islam... could lead to more terrorism
federer - Court Pace...Federer's view EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:32 am by Daniel2

» Missing Madeline 10 years on..
federer - Court Pace...Federer's view EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:31 am by Daniel2

» '15 Dubious Weak Era Records'
federer - Court Pace...Federer's view EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:06 am by Daniel2

» AO 2024 - Sinner baby!!
federer - Court Pace...Federer's view EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:05 am by Daniel2

» Paris Masters
federer - Court Pace...Federer's view EmptyMon Nov 06, 2023 9:47 pm by noleisthebest

» Alvarez could bring me back to tennis
federer - Court Pace...Federer's view EmptyWed Sep 20, 2023 10:25 am by raiders_of_the_lost_ark

» IDEMOOOOOOO! ! ! !
federer - Court Pace...Federer's view EmptyMon Sep 11, 2023 9:47 am by noleisthebest

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

Court Pace...Federer's view

5 posters

Go down

federer - Court Pace...Federer's view Empty Court Pace...Federer's view

Post by Tenez Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:28 pm

Q. You played attacking tennis this week so successfully, presumably because the courts are fast. How much do you hope the other courts speed up a bit?
ROGER FEDERER: I just think it's good to have variety. The worse thing that can happen is if everything is fast or everything is slow. I think it's just important that we have some that are faster and some that are slower.
We do have clay, grass. Grass has slowed down in a big way in the last sort of 10 years, so I think that's all we should make sure we have is that the fast‑court players who like that kind of frustrating play, big serving, serve your way out of trouble kind of thing, that you're able to do that, and not that you have to go through ten‑shot rallies every single time when it's a big point.
It's nice to see that players can do that, but I think overall I think it just becomes a little bit predictable or boring, and for that reason I think it's important to have good variety.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

federer - Court Pace...Federer's view Empty Re: Court Pace...Federer's view

Post by truffin1 Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:42 pm

Federer has such a rational broad view of the sport.  Of course we need variety- we need change- to see how a player adapts, how well rounded their skills are..     this 3 months of slow, 1 off tournament of fast, 3 months of slow nonsense has to stop.

truffin1

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:45 pm

Players should be more vocal on this topic.

But at the end of the day, it's the tournament directors that make the decisions.
They are obviously heavily influenced by sponsors....and since when did sponsors care about tennis...

I read about some new exo style off-season Asian tour that's going to feature all top players both current and retired, ATP/WTA combined, a bit like a travelling circus.

I am so glad Federer refused to participate.

I can't see much change towards speeding up playing conditions, however much I'd love to. Occasional TD enthusiast in France maybe, that's about it.

You never know, though....if Federer and Stan keep doing well and people realise that beautiful tennis can still win, maybe they'll listen more to them.

Apparently, kids around tennis clubs already want to have Stan's BH!

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:47 pm

I'd say Dubai is decent not fast as fast courts used to be. They still had 30 shots rallies between Djoko and fed...Don't think that was the case on carpet of fast grass then. But surely we will be more than happy to have more of the current Dubai pace.

And yes Federer sees the big picture as often. Variation is essential. problem is that Nadal, I mention him for a very purpose, is very popular and tournaments want to have him.

However the question we can ask is would he be so popular if the tour had been faster and therefore achieve much less? or would he have just been another Bruguera?

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:39 pm

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:18 pm

yes nice circus.....It's amazing what money can do. the ATP must be worried to see some of their stars moving to another system. It starts like that and then can expand.

We thought the ATP was unfair at times but wait until bigger bucks come into it and it's all going to be even more of a showbusiness.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:22 pm

In a column for Le Parisien, Montpellier tournament director Patrice Dominguez described the IPTL as having "no sporting interest and no credibility," and said it was "wasting the health of the players."
he is my favourite French tennis commentator so I think i'll stand by what he says.

Of course those players are keen to go they are probably paid $3 or $4Million each just to participate.

But how is it going to mix well with the ATP?

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by truffin1 Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:25 pm

It boggles my mind that Nadal especially- with all his talk of bad knees and worn down at the end of the season, longer off season,etc would sign up for this thing--   talk about not being credible.

He complained this year before the AO that he wasn't able to train his usual time because of some treatments that helped his knees and that it would hurt him at the AO............  meanwhile this year he's going to play half of his offseason in a gimmick league?  

Same with all the players playing really...

truffin1

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:39 pm

Money money.....It's good to be reminded What professional sport is about.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:16 pm

Nadal's view: I want to win, please let me win, I want to win, so let me win. Slow down the surfaces, dumb down the balls, homogenize everything, 'cause I want it all.

Daniel

Back to top Go down

Post by truffin1 Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:21 pm

Tenez wrote:Money money.....It's good to be reminded What professional sport is about.

yes, even Federer-  he's not signing onto this payday- but I understand another FederereSouth American EXO tour around the same time is being put together at an even nicer 1.5 million a night!!

Now- nothing wrong with any of this-  this is their job and they should make the money while they can..  It's just the ones who whine about no time off that are a joke.

truffin1

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:12 pm

I have to admit I find it distasteful that Federer, Nadal and many other MULTI millionaires are still being motivated at times by money. If you have that much, playing for more seems really classless to me.

Daniel

Back to top Go down

Post by truffin1 Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:52 pm

Disagree- why is it wrong for a multimilliaire to be motivated to keep making money at his job? These are professionals with a relatively short carreer. Federer and to a lesser extent nadal are unique in how much they earn and will continue to earn after they retire, but their incomes will still fall as time goes on. Federer has earned and lives a ultranexclusive lifestyle that costs massive amounts to maintain. 45 million for vacant land to build a house on lake Zurich.. Taxes, agent commissions, etc. - his charity foundation, the money is crazy they make but also crazy what they spend- they should maximize any opportunities. I don't t see anything wrong with that. Just don't cry that you don't have an offseason, that you are worn out and can't train.

Federer was supposed to have an Exo. Tour in December last year but canceled to heal and train. That shows his priorities are correct- but if he is feeling fine at end of this year - by all means go make some money. No one criticizes bill gates for working and making money even though he could have stopped years ago.

truffin1

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:01 am

FedererKing wrote:I have to admit I find it distasteful that Federer, Nadal and many other MULTI millionaires are still being motivated at times by money. If you have that much, playing for more seems really classless to me.

I see what you mean but would you not like to have a bit more money yourself?

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:04 am

FedererKing wrote:I have to admit I find it distasteful that Federer, Nadal and many other MULTI millionaires are still being motivated at times by money. If you have that much, playing for more seems really classless to me.

And I also have a lot more respect for athletes and (some) artists money than many in the City making millions speculating on other people's money or losing millions of other people's money without having themselves quite a say about it.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:15 am

Tenez wrote:

I see what you mean but would you not like to have a bit more money yourself?

If I had made 10 million plus, I would only be playing for my own pride and ability.  Money would mean nothing.  Interest alone is enough to live on and be happy.  I can't understand why people will do more and more for money when they can never spend what they have. If you are playing for money when you are a multimillionaire, you have something deeply wrong with you.

Daniel

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:20 am

You have not answered my question. Would you not like to have more money yourself?

Cause what you have is probably 1000 times more than others.....who also would be just happy with what you have....or so they think.

The problem is money is a bit like a drug, the more you have the more you want.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:49 am

I've just looked at the my unofficial tennis calendar app, and I really am disgusted.
Looks like there is a showbiz tournament in November going on, including the top players, turning tennis into a circus rather than the professional sport it's meant to be.
No doubt the top players will all turn up for photoshoots for this, giving more effort to their make-up and clothing than the tennis matches.
Simply farcical.

And as well as this gimmick that will take place in the 02 arena, we also have the IPTL tournament going on too. Pffff

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:26 am

There is a difference between wanting to be a millionaire, and, already being a millionaire, playing for money.  The former is rational, the latter is greedy.  I would not do the latter. I am not against players wanting to earn a living, but Federer and Nadal are worth over 20 million. If money is still a driving force for them, then something is wrong.

Daniel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down