MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

Tsonga - Robbed.

Go down

Tsonga - Robbed. Empty Tsonga - Robbed.

Post by Daniel on Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:49 pm

Jo-Wilfried Tsonga is one of my favourite players.  Not only does he have a pleasing game to watch, but he has a wonderful personality and shows great sportsmanship.  He has the talent and the game to win a Slam, but so far, he has come up short.  He is certainly underachieving.

However, I think part of the reason he is "underachieving" is that the modern conditions are robbing him of glory.  Tsonga has a great all round game, but these skills are now wasted in the modern pusher world, where defence and baseline retrieval are king.  I think it's very sad to see a player like Tsonga being beaten on grass/HC by less talented players.

That's not to say I think this is the only reason...  I don't.  But it has certainly cost him a Slam or two.  Here's hoping Tsonga gets that win.  He is such a lovely character that it would be a travesty to see him end on 0.  Go on Tsonga!  Thumbs Up

Daniel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Tsonga - Robbed. Empty Re: Tsonga - Robbed.

Post by Tenez on Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:14 pm

I really like Tsonga too....but I am not sure he would do so well on quicker surfaces. He would have to change his style somehow. he stands too far back and that is never a good sign if you want to do well on fast surfaces. His serve and volleying would certainly be an advantage but all his ground shots need a big swing meaning he will likely be pushed on making more mistakes....however on faster surfaces everybody would do anyway.

I think all in all he probably would be as highly ranked if not better but I can think of a few other players who could also be ahead of him on faster surfaces.

But the key is not so much the surface pace as the new strings. Those strings are what makes all conditions slower.

Tenez

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest on Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:48 pm

Tsonga does come across as a really nice guy, a rarety on the tour.
Gamewise his heart is in the right place, but his ball-striking is not the cleanest and I think that lets him down.
He was great when he burst on the scene in that AO 2008, and was never able to move on from there.
He doesn't seem to have much grit about him.
It if goes well for him in the match, he takes heart from it, but any doubt, i.e. his serve stopping or being neutralised, and he starts squirming.
The player I don't understand is Monfils, he has everything for a great attacking game, but chooses to clown about and counter-punch; if only he had Tsonga's mindset...

Last edited by noleisthebest on Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

noleisthebest

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DEC1M8 on Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:59 pm

noleisthebest wrote:
The player I don't understand is Monfils, he has everything for a great attacking game, but chooses to clown about and counter-punch; if only he had Tsonga's mindset...
That's a good point actually, him and Gasquet too. (although richard is improving on that aspect)

DEC1M8

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest on Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:59 pm

Tenez wrote:I really like Tsonga too....but I am not sure he would do so well on quicker surfaces. He would have to change his style somehow. he stands too far back and that is never a good sign if you want to do well on fast surfaces. His serve and volleying would certainly be an advantage but all his ground shots need a big swing meaning he will likely be pushed on making more mistakes....however on faster surfaces everybody would do anyway.

I think all in all he probably would be as highly ranked if not better but I can think of a few other players who could also be ahead of him on faster surfaces.

But the key is not so much the surface pace as the new strings. Those strings are what makes all conditions slower.

I have thought about strings and what they have to offer to a player and concluded that there is either not much talent on the tour, or that those strings really stifle proper all-court tennis.

The sheer power that is available to players these days with modern strings is amazing. And what have they all got to show for it, for all the years of hours of daily practice....they should all be hitting that ball blindfolded and not missing the lines.
It's like giving pro players training balls to play with, the racquets are now suffocating the game.
I really don't know what the right balance should be, but everything at the moment seems to be pulling the game in the wrong direction: the court speed, the strings, legalised doping, illegal doping, on-court coaching...

It's one big mess in which a lot of people are having a free for all  jolly killing tennis in he process.

noleisthebest

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez on Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:11 pm

noleisthebest wrote:I really don't know what the right balance should be,
The strings in a way are great cause they bring another dimension to the game that was not there before. Players have simply more control of the ball and that is a good thing.

However I do think something need to change to make it more balance for the attacking players. I mentioned once the idea of having a narrower court at the net and wider on the baseline. Another solution would be to lower the net a bit, especially on the trame lines (same height as the middle) to facilitate things for risk takers. Cause as it is it really helps those topspinners and retrievers.

I find unfair that a risk taker sending a player wide on the court actually exposes himself by havkng to do as much running as the retrievers thanks to those new strings. In the past if you were sent wide you were in trouble. Nowadays its almost an advantage! Thta's what really unfair!

Tenez

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DEC1M8 on Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:14 pm

Tenez wrote:In the past if you were sent wide you were in trouble. Nowadays its almost an advantage! Thta's what really unfair!
Yes, I think you're right actually, especially as more angles are opened up.
I've been thinking, perhaps now for net approaches, it would be more wise to hit a deep shot and your opponent's feet before coming in?

DEC1M8

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez on Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:24 pm

Julia Santamaria wrote:
Tenez wrote:In the past if you were sent wide you were in trouble. Nowadays its almost an advantage! Thta's what really unfair!
Yes, I think you're right actually, especially as more angles are opened up.
I've been thinking, perhaps now for net approaches, it would be more wise to hit a deep shot and your opponent's feet before coming in?

Cause it is easy to find angles with a loopy/spiny ball. Do that with nat string and it's much riskier and much less powerful.

Harder balls would cancel off some of those strings effect .

Tenez

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest on Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:26 pm

But who is going to redesign tennis court dimensions...

And with all that added ball control, what do we have on tennis courts?
A guy with XXXL bicep killing everyone with loading the ball with ridiculous spin, not even knowing where to serve without his Uncle touching his nose or ear...

Federer must be having some serious nightmares in his sleep.

noleisthebest

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest on Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:28 pm

T,
When do you think it all started going out of control?

noleisthebest

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez on Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:34 pm

When they increased the ball size at the same time that the new strings became more popular. From the mid-late 90s where you could still win with SVing to early 00s where they introduced bigger balls. It was actually great till Nadal came along as he exposed how to exploit those new conditions....first on clay then everywhere, including grass.

Wimby 2002 was the best example of how bigger balls could suddenly make the fastest surface dead slow.

Tenez

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down