Search
 
 

Display results as :
 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Gerry Webber Open Halle & Queens
Yesterday at 11:44 pm by Tenez

» Women prize money is making the headlines again.
Yesterday at 11:22 pm by Tenez

» FIFA World Cup, Russia 2018
Yesterday at 1:30 pm by noleisthebest

» Countdown to the unbeatable records
Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:00 pm by Daniel

» The doping program joke of the ITF!!!
Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:12 am by Slippy

» What I like about "Our Tennis Forum"
Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:02 pm by Tenez

» Andy Murray's comeback.....
Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:54 am by summerblues

» Tennis players with bigger muscles get further down the draw!
Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:57 pm by Daniel

» Phil Mickelson - Glorified Cheating
Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:18 pm by legendkillar

June 2018
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
    123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
252627282930 

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum


Why does Murray do poorly on clay compared to other surfaces?

Go down

Why does Murray do poorly on clay compared to other surfaces?

Post by DEC1M7 on Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:45 pm

I really don't know.

All I can see is that he moves poorly on the surface, but really his game should be perfect for it.
Didn't he train in Barcelona when he was a teenager? Surely he could have learned to slide etc. perfectly then- and for a guy who puts in so much to training- is it that difficult to adapt to learn how to move on clay?

DEC1M7

Posts : 4752
Join date : 2013-05-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Why does Murray do poorly on clay compared to other surfaces?

Post by noleisthebest on Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:43 pm

Murray is a very artificial player with no spark and no weapons.
Lendl taught him how to blast a CC FH, and his fitness coach made a monster out of him.
But really, despite all those muscles, all he is able to do with hem is blast the ball for a set or two and run hard chasing the ball.

Clay tennis requires a lot of guile, but Murray's guile is all wrapped up in counter-punching.
He doesn't know how to attack intuitively, all his attacking efforts are learnt and unsure, hence ineffective.
He is also quite heavy and lacks proper light-footed tennis movement.
He is almost looking too big and strong for current tennis courts, like some hybrid cross of a giant rabbit/kangaroo.

noleisthebest

Posts : 27018
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Why does Murray do poorly on clay compared to other surfaces?

Post by Daniel on Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:49 pm

Same. Murray is another baseline retriever with no real weapons. His only ally is consistently returning balls (like Nadal except Murray is worse at it). I have no idea why he is bad on clay, but my guess is, his footwork sucks.

Daniel

Posts : 3402
Join date : 2013-11-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Why does Murray do poorly on clay compared to other surfaces?

Post by Tenez on Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:13 pm

Julia Santamaria wrote:I really don't know.

All I can see is that he moves poorly on the surface, but really his game should be perfect for it.
Didn't he train in Barcelona when he was a teenager? Surely he could have learned to slide etc. perfectly then- and for a guy who puts in so much to training- is it that difficult to adapt to learn how to move on clay?
He went to Barcelona for the other "obvious" reasons!

Tenez

Posts : 19170
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Why does Murray do poorly on clay compared to other surfaces?

Post by DEC1M7 on Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:15 pm

Tenez wrote:
Julia Santamaria wrote:I really don't know.

All I can see is that he moves poorly on the surface, but really his game should be perfect for it.
Didn't he train in Barcelona when he was a teenager? Surely he could have learned to slide etc. perfectly then- and for a guy who puts in so much to training- is it that difficult to adapt to learn how to move on clay?
He went to Barcelona for the other "obvious" reasons!
Ah yes, he was a fan of the football club.

Great to see we are on the same wavelength!!

DEC1M7

Posts : 4752
Join date : 2013-05-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Why does Murray do poorly on clay compared to other surfaces?

Post by Tenez on Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:16 pm

yes clay is extremely demanding on the footwork. You cannot rely on big muscles to move you around.

However I think Murray could do better if he tried harder. He seems to care more about Wimby and the HC season.

Tenez

Posts : 19170
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Why does Murray do poorly on clay compared to other surfaces?

Post by noleisthebest on Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:20 pm

I am not bothered why Murray is nit doing well on clay...I'll leave that to money mongering media, I want to know why Fognini is not doing better on clay?
Why does not anybody care about Dolgopolov or Paire....they could be such great clay players, miles better than Murray.

noleisthebest

Posts : 27018
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Why does Murray do poorly on clay compared to other surfaces?

Post by Tenez on Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:43 pm

noleisthebest wrote:I am not bothered why Murray is nit doing well on clay...I'll leave that to money mongering media, I want to know why Fognini is not doing better on clay?
Why does not anybody care about Dolgopolov or Paire....they could be such great clay players, miles better than Murray.
Easy! Tey rely on too thin margins....and they are not talented enough to find those thin margins consistently.

Tenez

Posts : 19170
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Why does Murray do poorly on clay compared to other surfaces?

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum