Our Tennis Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» I Just Can't Help Believing!
Wimbledon - Wimbledon: The Dream (Part Two) EmptySat Mar 23, 2024 9:00 pm by noleisthebest

» The Bullshit of Rafael Nadal
Wimbledon - Wimbledon: The Dream (Part Two) EmptyMon Feb 12, 2024 12:15 am by Daniel2

» Why Trump's 'tough' stance on radical Islam... could lead to more terrorism
Wimbledon - Wimbledon: The Dream (Part Two) EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:32 am by Daniel2

» Missing Madeline 10 years on..
Wimbledon - Wimbledon: The Dream (Part Two) EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:31 am by Daniel2

» '15 Dubious Weak Era Records'
Wimbledon - Wimbledon: The Dream (Part Two) EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:06 am by Daniel2

» AO 2024 - Sinner baby!!
Wimbledon - Wimbledon: The Dream (Part Two) EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:05 am by Daniel2

» Paris Masters
Wimbledon - Wimbledon: The Dream (Part Two) EmptyMon Nov 06, 2023 9:47 pm by noleisthebest

» Alvarez could bring me back to tennis
Wimbledon - Wimbledon: The Dream (Part Two) EmptyWed Sep 20, 2023 10:25 am by raiders_of_the_lost_ark

» IDEMOOOOOOO! ! ! !
Wimbledon - Wimbledon: The Dream (Part Two) EmptyMon Sep 11, 2023 9:47 am by noleisthebest

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

Wimbledon: The Dream (Part Two)

4 posters

Go down

Wimbledon - Wimbledon: The Dream (Part Two) Empty Wimbledon: The Dream (Part Two)

Post by noleisthebest Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:44 am

Part One, The Beginning

I have always been fascinated by dreams. Both the night and day kind. Where do they come from and where do they go?
And why....
Every time I walk to the beginning and the end of them I come to the same grey mist-bellowing eternity, same opaque nothingness of peaceful mysterious silence.
But dreams, they have colours. Colours seen through of the eyes of feelings: our soul.

Wimbledon is my golden dream.

I have long been intrigued by its splendour, the richness and grip it has had over my imagination and thoughts.

The first time I stepped into that dream not knowing I was even doing it, was through a picture I saw on TV as a young child.

My parents were visiting their friends for lunch and I was sent to look for the host who seemed to have disappeared imperceptibly and fetch him for dessert.
It didn't take long to find him: he was right across the entrance hall, in the TV room, looking relieved it was the little me and not his wife that had found him.  I didn't say anything and neither did he. He was watching a Wimbledon final, and I had just seen tennis for the very first time in my life.

Immediately, I was mesmerised by what I saw: two men dressed in white, moving elegantly across soft green grass, hitting this little ball back and forth to each other in complete silence.
The crowd was silent, too. Only the sound of the ball being struck, pulsed through the beautiful tranquility of the majestic setting, like heart-beat defying eternity.

I don't know how long we were sitting and watching in that happy solidarity before we were eventually found by somebody else from the party and had to go and rejoin them.

That was the beginning of the dream.

Wimbledon - Wimbledon: The Dream (Part Two) _68602148_mmtenwimtournamentreview

Last edited by noleisthebest on Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:47 pm; edited 6 times in total

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Wimbledon - Wimbledon: The Dream (Part Two) Empty Re: Wimbledon: The Dream (Part Two)

Post by N2D2L Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:03 am

It's given us the greatest match of all time, 2008 will live long in the memory.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Wimbledon - Wimbledon: The Dream (Part Two) Empty Re: Wimbledon: The Dream (Part Two)

Post by Tenez Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:10 pm

I dream quite a bit about tennis too....As I mentioned once, my family was never involved in playing seriously but some have been following the game very closely from the tennis musketeers time and even before.

I remember while aged 5 or 6 going to the French national tournament with my uncle in Bordeaux. 

Wimbledon has certainly some charisma about it...something timeless.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:41 pm

That's lovely.
My family knew nothing about tennis, but for some reason there is quite a thread of it going through my life.
More about it in Part Two Winking

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:58 pm

T, you mention the charisma of Wimbledon.
That's one thing I've been trying to explain ti myself for ages. I loved it instantly before I knew anything about it, it captured my imagination like nothing before from the very first sight.
Even its name had a nice, soft ring and melody to it.
What was your first memory of Wimbledon?

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by luvsports! Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:27 pm

First time I went to Wimbledon, aged 11, was in 2003.
My dad had managed to get tickets through his work and I remember being so excited on the train journey down. Not only because I couldn't wait to go but also I managed to go home early by 2 hours or so!

It was just so green! The ivy, hedges, courts and plant decorations. First taste of centre court was for the Llodra vs Henman, a very enjoyable s&v fest.
Then it was the joy of justine and that glorious shbh, finished up by a tight tussle between ferrero and escude (who beat a young feds in 01 for the rotterdam title) before he retired injured.
Brilliant memories. Ever since I have tried to go back every year. Didn't happen but the half a dozen or so times i have been were just brilliant.

Then I worked there for 2 years trying to get as much money as possible to pay for uni.
And then last year I queued up for the 2nd time (first time was '08 3rd round) on the opening day. Bliss Big Grin http://richard-mills-sports.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/my-day-out-at-sw19_28.html

"Bliss was it in that dawn to be alive and to be young was very heaven!"

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:45 pm

Lucky you. I would have loved to see Justine live.
But I did see Fed in 2012. I can still remember one BHDTL...among other things...

Were you already a fan of tennis & Wimbledon when you went there?
My road to the first trip there was so long.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by luvsports! Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:16 am

I haven't seen feds properly yet so I would give up seeing Henin in a heartbeat!
I really got into it after going that year, next couple of years I had a rating of 9.2 (not saying much but I was bare haps!).
I was always taught to do a dhbh but after stopping the lessons which were rubbish, I used the ridiculously membership of £30 a year to teach myself a shbh Big Grin.
Used to be my best shot before my wrist injury. Many admiring looks I got. Not for me mind, just the bh Winking

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:41 am

That's what Wimbledon does...it inspires you!
Eversince I saw it, I wanted to win it...even the barlady in our club who has never picked up a racquet admitted she wanted to win it!
I am so glad the "inscription on the side of the gentlemen's singles trophy reads,
'The All England Lawn Tennis Club Single-Handed Champion of the World' "
And how lovely that trophy looks in Fed's hands....

I think it's criminal they give it to DBH-ers !!!

Shame about your wrist! Can it be fixed?

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by luvsports! Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:59 am

Indeed!

Ta for asking. Yes it was soooo infuriating! I couldn;t play for 3 years! I was misdiagnosed, finally had an op in 2012 and slowly its improved but I have to play much flatter strokes, I can;t really do fh topspin without it hurting and serves and smashes can hurt after a while. I now try and take the ball earlier in general which is working for me, hard but good fun!

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum