Our Tennis Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» I Just Can't Help Believing!
federer - Federer vs Nadal Pre-Match Talk EmptySat Mar 23, 2024 9:00 pm by noleisthebest

» The Bullshit of Rafael Nadal
federer - Federer vs Nadal Pre-Match Talk EmptyMon Feb 12, 2024 12:15 am by Daniel2

» Why Trump's 'tough' stance on radical Islam... could lead to more terrorism
federer - Federer vs Nadal Pre-Match Talk EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:32 am by Daniel2

» Missing Madeline 10 years on..
federer - Federer vs Nadal Pre-Match Talk EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:31 am by Daniel2

» '15 Dubious Weak Era Records'
federer - Federer vs Nadal Pre-Match Talk EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:06 am by Daniel2

» AO 2024 - Sinner baby!!
federer - Federer vs Nadal Pre-Match Talk EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:05 am by Daniel2

» Paris Masters
federer - Federer vs Nadal Pre-Match Talk EmptyMon Nov 06, 2023 9:47 pm by noleisthebest

» Alvarez could bring me back to tennis
federer - Federer vs Nadal Pre-Match Talk EmptyWed Sep 20, 2023 10:25 am by raiders_of_the_lost_ark

» IDEMOOOOOOO! ! ! !
federer - Federer vs Nadal Pre-Match Talk EmptyMon Sep 11, 2023 9:47 am by noleisthebest

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

Federer vs Nadal Pre-Match Talk

+5
N2D2L
laverfan
Tenez
Daniel
noleisthebest
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

federer - Federer vs Nadal Pre-Match Talk Empty Federer vs Nadal Pre-Match Talk

Post by noleisthebest Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:43 pm

We know Nadal has a horrific injury at the moment.
We are yet to hear whether he is going to give Federer a walkover, and us tennis fans a dream SBH final after so many years.

In the meantime, until Amri's sources confirm otherwise, let's talk about how the match is going to go tomorrow.

Three questions, really:

WHO?
HOW?
WHY?

...is going to win.

federer - Federer vs Nadal Pre-Match Talk Roger_federer_vs_nadal_wallpaper_2011_by_moh2011-d4ii240

Last edited by noleisthebest on Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

federer - Federer vs Nadal Pre-Match Talk Empty Re: Federer vs Nadal Pre-Match Talk

Post by noleisthebest Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:46 pm

Jinxing allowed Winking

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

federer - Federer vs Nadal Pre-Match Talk Empty Re: Federer vs Nadal Pre-Match Talk

Post by Daniel Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:59 pm

It's impossible to say.  Depends what form they arrive in.  Nadal has the racquet, balls, surface and left hand advantage, as usual. Therefore, Federer starts with a handicap.  Federer is looking more confident, but all those defeats to the pusher have taken their toll, just as they would have done to Nadal had all their matches taken place in the real game of tennis.

If Federer turns up at his best, it will take Nadal's best to beat him.  If both don't turn up at their best, Nadal will beat Federer. I am going to go for  Federer win.  I said last year that I felt Fed could win one or two slams before the end, and Laver also agreed that this was the Slam Fed would win. 

Nadal has not looked impressive, Federer has at times.

Daniel

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:29 pm

1 - The best of Federer is better than the best of Nadal
2 - The stamina of Nadal can better Federer's best though not guaranteed.
3 - Fed's B game is still better than Nadal's A game but for no more than a set or 2.
4 - Nadal's so called injury will actually make him more relax and more dangerous as we know he hates having pressure and being the favourite....as he clearly is.
5 - Nadal will take an MTO....that is guaranteed, the timing will not be innocent.
6 - If Federer has recovered fully from his 4 tough sets....which I doubt....I will finally win one back.
7 - Fed must be craving to avenge that AO09 loss where he did all the work but was stolen a title thanks to absurd slow conditions.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:46 pm

Past loses do not need to be blamed on environment or lists, Tenez.

Nadal's blister does not need to overshadow a possible Federer victory, either.

The score starts at 0-0. It is a new match. Federer has played well so far, he can continue that. He can find inspiration in Wawrinka (or Dimitrov), if he needs it.

Wawrinka has worked hard and made it to WTF and a slam Final, so can Federer. And he knows his opponent very well, and all possible patterns of play.

No excuses.  Run 

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:12 pm

laverfan wrote:Past loses do not need to be blamed on environment or lists, Tenez.

Nadal's blister does not need to overshadow a possible Federer victory, either.

The score starts at 0-0. It is a new match. Federer has played well so far, he can continue that. He can find inspiration in Wawrinka (or Dimitrov), if he needs it.

Wawrinka has worked hard and made it to WTF and a slam Final, so can Federer. And he knows his opponent very well, and all possible patterns of play.

No excuses.  Run 
A back injury, "real" blister or a "real" knee injury do influence the outcome of a match.....even wind does!...so excuses are real. I currently have a tennis elbow and lose against players I usually don't. Things like that happen....no need dust it under the carpet!

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:27 pm

WHO?
Contrary to all logic, I have a feeling Fed will win in 5 sets tomorrow.

HOW?
He will be serving better than usual, and that will give him a lot of confidence to bide his time in return games like he did against Murray.

WHY?
He wants it really badly and will feel zero pressure.
Plus, OTF is behind him heart and soul! diva

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:20 pm

This is what will happen:

Most of the people who follow tennis in Britain will simply not be aware of the fact Nadal has a bad blister. They do not know the negative impact it will have on Nadal's game, which will increase exponentially as tennis is a game of margins.

After Federer wins, they will immediately log on to Eurosport to comment in capital letters 'Federer will now beat Nadal in the French Open', echoing what Simon Reed would have written in an article.
Some idiots will then ramble on for ages about how it was Edberg's genius which solved Nadal, as if Edberg can magically make Nadal play like an alcoholic, hitting double faults and groundstrokes into row Z every 2 minutes.
Some very neutral fans on the other hand, will sit their 'surprised and disappointed'  that the Fedal fixture never even got competitive; and after this these 'surprised and disappointed' neutrals will sit at their computer and be aghast at the fact there is unrest in the middle east, and wonder what is suddenly causing all the trouble over there.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:00 pm

Amri,
you have excelled this time!
Knowing how reliable your predictins are (you have proved it again and again, last example was the AO draw, we'll pretend you never mentioned the ice-rink fast courts, though), I can now relax and buy a bottle of champagne ready to open on Sunday BEFORE the match.
I'll be toasting and drinking to a SBH final and Fed's 18th slam.

I may even raise a glass to Nadal's horrific blister.

Maybe I'll even sell the house quickly and put all the money on Fed.

I just hope you don't feel bad if your WILL does not happen, and I end up a poor, homeless NITB in this cruel winter weather, sleeping rough on park benches, busking for a crust of bread at Paddington Underground station....

federer - Federer vs Nadal Pre-Match Talk Busker-002

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:38 pm

Let's see what the players themselves say on the topic:

FEDERER:

"Then 210 [K.P.H.] bombs are coming my way again. Who knows? He's been tough to play against, no doubt. I'm happy I get a chance to play him in a Slam again.

The head-to-head record is in his favor. I'm looking forward to speaking to Stefan, because when we spoke together, when he came to Dubai and we spoke about the game, we clearly spoke about playing Rafa, as well. He thought he had some good ideas, so I'm looking forward to what he has to say. Clearly with Severin, he knows him inside out. I'm looking forward to hear what the boys have to say. We'll prepare. I hope I can get a win."

NADAL:

"I feel that with the tape I can lose the racquet when I serving. That's my feeling. The racquet can go. That's a terrible feeling for a serve, because then when you have this feeling you are not able to accelerate at the right moment. You lose a little bit the coordination. That's a big deal.
Serve like this produce me a problem for the rest of the things. When you lose the confidence with one shot, one important shot, then you are not able to play with calm the rest of the shots. So I going to try to improve that for after tomorrow that I need. If not, I not going to have the chance to be in the final. I hope to be ready for to improve.

The conditions out there were not easy. Always is tough to play when the wind is there. Especially with that conditions that the ball is fast. Seems like the ball when you are hitting the ball, especially when you are playing with the wind, the ball stays not much time in your string. Goes very quick, and is very difficult to have control. If you are not going very early to the ball, then you have a problem.

That happen much less when you're playing night sessions, so I going to play night. The only match that I played night and was a full match I played great was against Monfils. That's the way that I need to keep playing. That's the way I'm going to try to keep playing. We'll see if I am ready. I hope."

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:34 pm

the ball stays not much time in your string.
So important for nadal to transfer as much of his power and spin into the ball.

One thing for sure is that v Fed Nadal is full of confidence....even from the first point nowadays.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by truffin1 Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:41 pm

noleisthebest wrote:Let's see what the players themselves say on the topic:

FEDERER:

"Then 210 [K.P.H.] bombs are coming my way again. Who knows? He's been tough to play against, no doubt. I'm happy I get a chance to play him in a Slam again.

The head-to-head record is in his favor. I'm looking forward to speaking to Stefan, because when we spoke together, when he came to Dubai and we spoke about the game, we clearly spoke about playing Rafa, as well. He thought he had some good ideas, so I'm looking forward to what he has to say. Clearly with Severin, he knows him inside out. I'm looking forward to hear what the boys have to say. We'll prepare. I hope I can get a win."

NADAL:

"I feel that with the tape I can lose the racquet when I serving. That's my feeling. The racquet can go. That's a terrible feeling for a serve, because then when you have this feeling you are not able to accelerate at the right moment. You lose a little bit the coordination. That's a big deal.
Serve like this produce me a problem for the rest of the things. When you lose the confidence with one shot, one important shot, then you are not able to play with calm the rest of the shots. So I going to try to improve that for after tomorrow that I need. If not, I not going to have the chance to be in the final. I hope to be ready for to improve.

The conditions out there were not easy. Always is tough to play when the wind is there. Especially with that conditions that the ball is fast. Seems like the ball when you are hitting the ball, especially when you are playing with the wind, the ball stays not much time in your string. Goes very quick, and is very difficult to have control. If you are not going very early to the ball, then you have a problem.

That happen much less when you're playing night sessions, so I going to play night. The only match that I played night and was a full match I played great was against Monfils. That's the way that I need to keep playing. That's the way I'm going to try to keep playing. We'll see if I am ready. I hope."

The ESPN comms last night were previewing the match and said the weather predicitons had it cooling by 15 degrees which would slow things down more in night conditions- adv Nadal.

They also said a prediction of rain and that would cause the roof to close- Gilbert and Cahill said that would help Federer-  I'm not so sure though-  Nadal clearly does not like the swirling wind on Laver- he mentions above and in another interview that the wind makes it hard for him to get the ball up high.  So it might kind of even things out for both of them with the roof closed. 

Advantages definitely overall favor Nadal as always.

It seems that usually when Federer is playing better than Nadal coming into a match- Federer starts out fast- sometimes just blitzing Nadal..  then the 1st time Nadal starts to reel him in.. hits some crazy banana shot- the demons creep back into Federer's mind and he reverts from his game plan.  IF Federer can weather these storms and just remain focused and on task--  and it's not "one of those bad days" that players his age seem to happen out of the blue--  he has a real chance.  As Tenez says-  Federer's best is simply better tennis than Nadal.  Nadal might have everything going for him in conditions and patterns- but Federer is simply a greater tennis player, a genius on court, so he has the ability to overcome all of those issues.   I so hope he does tonight, but realistically- it's a toss up.

Finally- Federer perhaps with the most honest answer to the Nadal question I have seen from him.. from his Swiss German interview- 

RF: I think that he's the most difficult match-up for me simply because he's a lefty and the way he plays makes it tough for me. But I could still win some of my best matches against him. A nemesis is somebody who always closes the door in your face and that hasn't been the case. Maybe I couldn't get so much out of the French Open but despite everything I always managed to get more chances. I have never been afraid to play against him even if it didn't work out sometimes but I'll surely give everything in my next match. I can't do more than that anyway. 

truffin1

Back to top Go down

Post by truffin1 Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:57 pm

Federer practiced with Llodra yesterday.  Fans there saying Luthi and Edberg had them almost exclusively working on return of serve.   No obvious indication though of what Edbergs "ideas" about playing Nadal were that Federer mentioned.

truffin1

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:59 pm

truffin1 wrote:As Tenez says- Federer's best is simply better tennis than Nadal. Nadal might have everything going for him in conditions and patterns- but Federer is simply a greater tennis player, a genius on court, so he has the ability to overcome all of those issues.
Oh please, the H2H in Slams is 8-2, the way you're talking it's as if it's the other way around.
It will be 8-3 tomorrow due to Nadal's blisters, but I don't see Federer getting any more slam wins against nadal after that.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:08 pm

Julia Santamaria wrote:
truffin1 wrote:As Tenez says-  Federer's best is simply better tennis than Nadal.  Nadal might have everything going for him in conditions and patterns- but Federer is simply a greater tennis player, a genius on court, so he has the ability to overcome all of those issues.
Oh please, the H2H in Slams is 8-2, the way you're talking it's as if it's the other way around.
It will
be 8-3 tomorrow
due to Nadal's blisters, but I don't see Federer getting any more slam wins against nadal after that.

Besides jinxing and superstition do you have any reasoned argument about the outcome of this match?  erm 

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by truffin1 Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:12 pm

Julia Santamaria wrote:
truffin1 wrote:As Tenez says-  Federer's best is simply better tennis than Nadal.  Nadal might have everything going for him in conditions and patterns- but Federer is simply a greater tennis player, a genius on court, so he has the ability to overcome all of those issues.
It will be 8-3 tomorrow due to Nadal's blisters, but I don't see Federer getting any more slam wins against nadal after that.

H2H has very little  to do with who is the greater tennis player or who is the greater genius. It's is meaningful, but out of many measures of greatness in a players carreer- that is just one that Nadal holds over Federer while Federer holds many more over Nadal.

If Federer wins it is not due to the blisters just as if he loses is not only due to the conditions. There are multiple factors at play for both players that all have an impact on the outcome. That is the only fair way to look at it.  Yes, comparing hand condition- Nadal has a disadvantage. But their are other conditions where he hold an advantage.

truffin1

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:16 pm

Nadal will play poorly, he will make unforced errors on groundstrokes, and serve poorly; the latter especially will mean that Fed dominates.
I see Federer winning, as is clear.

This is what my analysis of the post match reaction from earlier on the thread, incase you missed it:
Most of the people who follow tennis in Britain will simply not be aware of the fact Nadal has a bad blister. They do not know the negative impact it will have on Nadal's game, which will increase exponentially as tennis is a game of margins.

After Federer wins, they will immediately log on to Eurosport to comment in capital letters 'Federer will now beat Nadal in the French Open', echoing what Simon Reed would have written in an article.
Some idiots will then ramble on for ages about how it was Edberg's genius which solved Nadal, as if Edberg can magically make Nadal play like an alcoholic, hitting double faults and groundstrokes into row Z every 2 minutes.
Some very neutral fans on the other hand, will sit their 'surprised and disappointed' that the Fedal fixture never even got competitive; and after this these 'surprised and disappointed' neutrals will sit at their computer and be aghast at the fact there is unrest in the middle east, and wonder what is suddenly causing all the trouble over there.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:18 pm

truffin1 wrote:
Julia Santamaria wrote:

H2H has very little  to do with who is the greater tennis player or who is the greater genius. It's is meaningful, but out of many measures of greatness in a players carreer- that is just one that Nadal holds over Federer while Federer holds many more over Nadal.

If Federer wins it is not due to the blisters just as if he loses is not only due to the conditions. There are multiple factors at play for both players that all have an impact on the outcome. That is the only fair way to look at it.  Yes, comparing hand condition- Nadal has a disadvantage. But their are other conditions where he hold an advantage.
Let's say you send a soldier out to war with the most hi-tech machine gun, but he doesn't have any arms. What's the point of the advantage of the hi-tech machine gun? Useless isn't it.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by Polly 81 Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:53 pm

Julia Santamaria wrote:
truffin1 wrote:
Julia Santamaria wrote:

Let's say you send a soldier out to war with the most hi-tech machine gun, but he doesn't have any arms. What's the point of the advantage of the hi-tech machine gun? Useless isn't it.
Nadal's blister has made him lose his arms now?! His PR are really exaggerating things these days.

Polly 81

Back to top Go down

Post by truffin1 Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:56 pm

Julia Santamaria wrote:
truffin1 wrote:
Julia Santamaria wrote:

yes, if he is armless he can't hold the machine gun, but if he has a blister he can and I bet he does fine. Lets compare apples to apples.   Nadal is not armless or helpless- far from it- so your analogy is meaningless. He has a blister on his hand that he also had while beating two quality professional tennis players- even if he looked in poor form doing so.

This is the Nadal who claimed he had a torn patella tendon which in the history of minor or even major patella tears requires the leg to be locked into a straight position to heal-- yet Nadal in his superhuman greatness was able to jet ski, jump off of 4 story yachts legs flailing, having a great old time (all caught by paparazzi unbeknownst to him) a few days after the injury..    and you thought that was perfectly reasonable and nothing unusual for a physical specimen like Nadal having such an injury.   However now, a blister has reduced in your mind the great Nadal to a helpless armless solider............     yep- this seems rational. smh..

Let the match happen.  Federer is the greatest player in history and Nadal has stats that allow his fans to make a claim he is one of the greatest.  Even with the blister- the lesser of the two greats- Nadal- has the odds and pundits listing him as a slight favorite.  Your jinxing and superstition belief that he wins when you think he won't will either work or it won't, but I won't be surprised if he wins.

truffin1

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:01 pm

Anyone with any knowledge about blisters or tennis will know that there's only one winner tomorrow, and it's certainly not Rafa.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:23 pm

Julia Santamaria wrote:Anyone with any knowledge about blisters or tennis will know that there's only one winner tomorrow, and it's certainly not Rafa.

he won the match the other day playing with this blister.  You are just making pathetic excuses for a possible loss.  It's incredible that you have the arrogance to assume you know how bad this blister is for starters, when all evidence suggests he is fine (including his own admission).  What makes you a doctor and blister specialist all of a sudden?

Last edited by FedererKing on Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

Daniel

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:23 pm

Julia Santamaria wrote:Anyone with any knowledge about blisters or tennis will know that there's only one winner tomorrow, and it's certainly not Rafa.

Btw, that is not a blister, it's a graze. Anyone with any knowledge of falling knows that you can't earn a blister from catching yourself in the fall with your hand.
Anyone with any knowledge of tennis shoes also knows that shoe laces don't "break" from a fall to the ground.

And anyone with any knowledge of knowledge knows that the only thing I know is that I don't know anything.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:27 pm

noleisthebest wrote:
Btw, that is not a blister, it's a graze.
 Doh 

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:28 pm

FedererKing wrote:

he won the match the other day playing with this blister. 
He was horrific, hitting his record number of double faults... he was lucky Dimitrov mucked up totally when it counted. He won't be able to compete with anyone in the top 20, he just about scraped past an inexperienced Dimitrov.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:28 pm

Julia Santamaria wrote:
FedererKing wrote:

he won the match the other day playing with this blister. 
He was horrific, hitting his record number of double faults... he was lucky Dimitrov mucked up totally when it counted. He won't be able to compete with anyone in the top 20, he just about scraped past an inexperienced Dimitrov.
He won the match the other day playing with this blister.

Daniel

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:31 pm

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:32 pm

Julia Santamaria wrote:He was horrific, hitting his record number of double faults... he was lucky Dimitrov mucked up totally when it counted. He won't be able to compete with anyone in the top 20, he just about scraped past an inexperienced Dimitrov.
He won the match the other day playing with this blister.

Your argument is he cannot win.  My argument is he has already won a match against a very good player already.  Your argument doesn't hold up (you are placing exceptions as part of your weak argument).  If this blister was really as limiting as you say, he wouldn't have won.  He would not have been able to play.  I play tennis and I know the difference between an annoyance and an impossibility.  This is the former.

Daniel

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:37 pm

I am saying he can't won't be able to beat Fed (or any other top 20 player) given his injury; Dimitrov is not yet at that level and very inexperienced.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:50 pm

Julia Santamaria wrote:I am saying he can't won't be able to beat Fed (or any other top 20 player) given his injury; Dimitrov is not yet at that level and very inexperienced.

Any player reaching the QF of a Slam is experienced enough to beat a guy with a major hindrance.  Is it any wonder I can't stand the fanny? It's his fans..  you make it so difficult to get behind on ANY level.  It's bad enough that he has crap excuses..  we have to then listen to this drivel from his fans too!

Last edited by FedererKing on Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

Daniel

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:52 pm

Dimitrov isn't top 20, and certainly had no experience at latter stages of slams.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:53 pm

Julia Santamaria wrote:Dimitrov isn't top 20, and certainly had no experience at latter stages of slams.

He is a SLAM QUARTER FINALIST.  You don't get there being Herman Munster! And latter stages don't have different rules or conditions.  Nadal doesn't suddenly get a bio-genetic upgrade if he passes Go.

Daniel

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:56 pm

He is, but certainly not very experienced.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:56 pm

Let's get back to the topic here, I think Amri's made her jinxing point clear and there is no need to go in circles repeating the same over and over.
As always, it didn't fail to cause laughter and entertainment, but it would be good if we could move on to more (technical) tennis talk, I think we've all now got the idea how "horrific blister" stops Nadal from beating players ranked 20 and above.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by truffin1 Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:01 pm

I sincerely hope you are right!!  that would be wonderful.

However, lets just say that Nadal wins- a miracle happens.. By your statement above- you will then admit that you know nothing about Tennis and of course blisters, correct? 

Personally, I have had a blister like most and I do know tennis, and I can't make a guarantee either way like you....

truffin1

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:14 pm

truffin1 wrote:

However, lets just say that Nadal wins- a miracle happens.. By your statement above- you will then admit that you know nothing about Tennis and of course blisters, correct? 
Yes 100% absolutely.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by truffin1 Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:20 pm

Julia Santamaria wrote:
truffin1 wrote:

Yes 100% absolutely.

Well, I hope it turns out you do know something and we don't have to see you admit you don't

truffin1

Back to top Go down

Post by gallery play Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:39 pm

Anyone seen game/set/mats? Now that was one hell of a analysis from mats.. It doesn't get any better than this. 
BTW: some of you don't notice it but he's a huge Federer fan.

gallery play

Back to top Go down

Post by gallery play Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:40 pm

noleisthebest wrote:Let's get back to the topic here, I think Amri's made her jinxing point clear and there is no need to go in circles repeating the same over and over.
As always, it didn't fail to cause laughter and entertainment, but it would be good if we could move on to more (technical) tennis talk, I think we've all now got the idea how "horrific blister" stops Nadal from beating players ranked 20 and above.
 Applause

gallery play

Back to top Go down

Post by truffin1 Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:10 pm

gallery play wrote:Anyone seen game/set/mats? Now that was one hell of a analysis from mats.. It doesn't get any better than this. 
BTW: some of you don't notice it but he's a huge Federer fan.

Wilander is a Fed fan?   The fans on Federers website don't like him at all.. I think he once said something like Federer didn't have any "balls" over some issue..

Do you have a link to his analysis?

One factor I've been thinking about is whether the new racquet could serve as a mental "start over" for Federer in his subconscious-- erasing some of the demons of past Fed/Nadal clashes that didn't go his way.  I've known and seen so many trainers/coaches, trick in a sense, their athlete into overcoming some mental issue by using some new training tactic or equipment and convincing them it would solve the issue even if it really didn't. This allows the athlete to shrug off the issue when it happens because its been supposedly solved.    This might help Federer, if it gets to crunch time and something Nadal is doing that would usually create some doubt in Feds mind-- he might be able to use this being the 1st time he's had the new racquet against Nadal as a way to block out the doubt.

There is the real world aspect of the new racquet- what it actually adds to the game, and the mental side of it- what it does for the confidence.

truffin1

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:11 pm

Placebo is a very strong ally.

Daniel

Back to top Go down

Post by bluenose Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:13 pm

I find it fascinating to read the comments that these matches bring in various fora and blogs.  The metaphorical tone, in usernames and content, tends toward martial for Nadal and majestic for Federer.  Nadal fans celebrate him as Everyman subduing the aristocracy with iron will and brute force, Federer fans celebrate him as King David in a state of grace.  For Nadal fans it's all about conquering, for Federer fans it's all about execution of the sublime game.  I guess that's why this rivalry has such sticking power, it has cultural resonance.

Personally, I understand the "root for the little guy" phenomenon but I have always supported the best.  And have taken a lot of stick for it, too!  But if I watched a sport, I wanted to see the best of it.  I hate to bring up hockey again, but it illustrates some of the same points - the targeting of the talented and the concomitant assignment of "minders" to protect them from assault was a disgraceful development, yet it gave birth to a legion of fans who denigrated the talented for their lack of fight.  Strange to me.  Get on with the bloody game, show your stuff, compete honourably.

bluenose

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:22 pm

I appreciate Nadal for his strengths too.  Where I have an issue with him is his blatant cheating and bad attitude, and more than those, the fact his style has been allowed to invade all surfaces.

If that style was where it should be (clay), I'd be very pleased for him dominating there.  No one can doubt the man's steel or his will power or his physicality, but he is not in Fed's or Borg's league when it comes to reaction times, shot selection, variety and genius.  His win stats are being inflated by current tennis being a shadow of what it was.

Daniel

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:42 pm

How did Nadal got that blister? Running too much and falling? Hitting too hard for too long...at the end of the day he gets an injury again entirely down to his physical game...no different than Federer losing a match going for too risky shots.

Nadal's injuries are all the result of abusing his physique...and should he lose or be even injured...he has only himself to blame. If he could win with more ease, making things look easy like those who have talent...Nadal would not be missing so many slams and constantly injured.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:45 pm

Yeah, it's things like that which some don't get.  They say, "Oh, if Nadal didn't get injuries he would have better consistency".  The injuries come about because of his style of play.  It's just a nonsense argument and only those who don;t understand sport could make it~! Physical endurance is one of the aspects of tennis.

Daniel

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:55 pm

True FK....But having argument with Nadal's fans...is very much part of the fun...and Amri to be fair is much more ready to take it to the chin than the rafa fans on V2 who simply refuse to take their blinkers out.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:57 pm

Oh I wasn't talking about Julia... I was talking about that lot on 606v2 that I had the pleasure of "debating" with haha.

Daniel

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:08 am

Lydian is a hugely knowledgeable poster, Socal is a legend.

This was Socal on v2 after seeing Nadal's hand:
Can we all just agree on the only logical conclusion that if Nadal can beat Federer tomorrow with practically one fit hand and another hand that looks like something out of a leper colony or 13 year old boy who just discovered internet porn that it will clearly demonstrate his superiority. Losing to a one handed Nadal will be the most devastating loss in Fed's career.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:09 am

That's not legend (especially since part of that has been robbed).  From what I have read, he is the most blinded fanboy of all time.  Not a good tag.

Daniel

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:10 am

He's not a Nadal fan, he's a Djokovic fan.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next