Our Tennis Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» I Just Can't Help Believing!
open - Confirmed: Australian Open to play lightning quick this year EmptySat Mar 23, 2024 9:00 pm by noleisthebest

» The Bullshit of Rafael Nadal
open - Confirmed: Australian Open to play lightning quick this year EmptyMon Feb 12, 2024 12:15 am by Daniel2

» Why Trump's 'tough' stance on radical Islam... could lead to more terrorism
open - Confirmed: Australian Open to play lightning quick this year EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:32 am by Daniel2

» Missing Madeline 10 years on..
open - Confirmed: Australian Open to play lightning quick this year EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:31 am by Daniel2

» '15 Dubious Weak Era Records'
open - Confirmed: Australian Open to play lightning quick this year EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:06 am by Daniel2

» AO 2024 - Sinner baby!!
open - Confirmed: Australian Open to play lightning quick this year EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:05 am by Daniel2

» Paris Masters
open - Confirmed: Australian Open to play lightning quick this year EmptyMon Nov 06, 2023 9:47 pm by noleisthebest

» Alvarez could bring me back to tennis
open - Confirmed: Australian Open to play lightning quick this year EmptyWed Sep 20, 2023 10:25 am by raiders_of_the_lost_ark

» IDEMOOOOOOO! ! ! !
open - Confirmed: Australian Open to play lightning quick this year EmptyMon Sep 11, 2023 9:47 am by noleisthebest

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

Confirmed: Australian Open to play lightning quick this year

+4
Daniel
mikeyM1000
noleisthebest
N2D2L
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

open - Confirmed: Australian Open to play lightning quick this year Empty Confirmed: Australian Open to play lightning quick this year

Post by N2D2L Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:27 pm

My sources have reliably informed me that the Australian Open has been significantly speeded up this year, in a move that should go down well with big servers such as Isner and Karlovic as well as power

Thoughts?

Who does this give a chance to? Will a big server like Raonic break through (perhaps a 7-6 6-7 7-6 6-7 8-6 final against Isner?), or will the likes of Tsonga and Federer benefit. Could Djokovic and Nadal be more vulnerable to players like Del Potro? 

It will be interesting.

Last edited by Julia Santamaria on Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:02 pm; edited 3 times in total

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

open - Confirmed: Australian Open to play lightning quick this year Empty Re: Confirmed: Australian Open to play lightning quick this year

Post by noleisthebest Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:38 pm

Amri, this is not an early April's Fool joke, is it?

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

open - Confirmed: Australian Open to play lightning quick this year Empty Re: Confirmed: Australian Open to play lightning quick this year

Post by N2D2L Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:40 pm

noleisthebest wrote:Amri, this is not an early April's Fool joke, is it?
No, absolutely not.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:44 pm

That would be sooooo good, finally something to really look forward to!

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:46 pm

Nole is already in Melbourne and has practised on Laver, but hasn't made any comments on the court speed, though.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:46 pm

noleisthebest wrote:That would be sooooo good, finally something to really look forward to!

What happens if it ends up with lots of tiebreaks in a Raonic Isner final with no breaks?

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:48 pm

Julia Santamaria wrote:What happens if it ends up with lots of tiebreaks in a Raonic Isner final with no breaks?

Fast surface with current strings won't make a massive difference, but it will definitely favour shotmakers and shorten rallies, and yes, fast servers will benefit, too, but not as much as you imagine.

In short, Nadal's stuffed!  Laugh 

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:56 pm

Big Servers will love it, they'll be so hard to break.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeyM1000 Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:48 pm

mikeyM1000

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:57 pm

Not often Nadal swears in a press conference.

Its even worse than his worse nightmares, this was the reason Fed is playing in brisbane and not doha... Federer knew about this.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:41 pm

Very interesting. I'll believe it when I see it!

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:51 pm

Q. Just to look forward, the news coming out of Australia is that the courts are really, really, really fast this year.
RAFAEL NADAL: Sorry?
Q. The courts at Melbourne Park are really fast, the surface is very, very fast.
RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah? How do you know that? You have been there?
Q. Because Australians tell me.
RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah? Very fast? Yeah? Shit. (Laughter). I thought Craig Tiley was a good friend.
Okay. Doesn’t matter. I won tournaments on very quick surfaces, Montreal few times, and if I’m playing well, it’s not a big problem, playing on very quick surfaces. But it’s true that if it’s very, very quick, maybe it’s a problem.

It was Craig Tiley, tournament director of the Australian Open, himself who wanted this change apparently, after hearing concerns from fans. 
maybe it was the AO 2012 that was simply too long?

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:52 pm

Come on Larry Ellison, take a plane to Australia and outbid Craig for the TD position.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:22 pm

Q. Just to look forward, the news coming out of Australia is that the courts are really, really, really fast this year.
RAFAEL NADAL: Sorry?
Q. The courts at Melbourne Park are really fast, the surface is very, very fast.
RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah? How do you know that? You have been there?
Q. Because Australians tell me.
RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah? Very fast? Yeah? Shit. (Laughter). I thought Craig Tiley was a good friend.
Okay. Doesn’t matter. I won tournaments on very quick surfaces, Montreal few times, and if I’m playing well, it’s not a big problem, playing on very quick surfaces. But it’s true that if it’s very, very quick, maybe it’s a problem.
Seriously... people think this guy is a contender for goat?   Laugh

Daniel

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:09 pm

Yes, he was joking in his press conference.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeyM1000 Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:23 pm

https://twitter.com/roger_rasheed

AO court slower than Brisbane.
Logically then, given that reliable sources say that AO is 'lightning quick', Brisbane must be faster than lightning.

mikeyM1000

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:35 pm

Rod Laver Arena will be considerably faster than the Margaret Court Arena (which is what RR was talking about); and the MC Arena is only marginally slower than an ultra fast Brisbane.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeyM1000 Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:01 am

So they're deliberately having considerably different court speeds on their 2 main show courts.

mikeyM1000

Back to top Go down

Post by luvsports! Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:06 am

I'll believe it when I see it 2bh. 
Don't believe JS's jest either Winking

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:06 am

mikeyM1000 wrote:So they're deliberately having considerably different court speeds on their 2 main show courts.
Yes, that's right.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by truffin1 Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:19 am

Your sources are wrong as usual.

Court speed at Australian Open tennis unchanged, says tournament director Craig Tiley

January 6, 2014....Linda Pearce...Sports writer for The Age

Anyone expecting lightning-fast Australian Open courts will be disappointed, according to tournament director Craig Tiley, who has denied that a quicker version of Plexicushion has been ordered - or delivered - for next week's grand slam.

Roger Federer, Lleyton Hewitt and Marin Cilic, as well as Davis Cup captain Pat Rafter, are among the players at this week's Brisbane International to testify that the speed of the Queensland Tennis Centre courts has risen significantly this year. Cilic, indeed, said they were the slickest he had experienced anywhere in more than 12 months.

"But, if so, that is Brisbane", said Tiley, who insisted nothing has altered at Melbourne Park. A modified Wilson ball was introduced last year with a tighter weave to improve longevity, but any major change in court speed is, apparently, unlikely.

''We've repeated what we did in 2013,'' said Tiley, pointing to the heatwave conditions and covered court in Brisbane, as well as the extended time given to the courts to ''plateau'' after their annual resurface, as contributing factors there. ''We didn't get that feedback at Hopman Cup, which is also the exact same surface.''

Defending champion Novak Djokovic on Saturday became the first player to hit this season on Rod Laver Arena.... Tiley said the world No. 2 had not commented on the speed of the court, pace has been a recurring discussion point elsewhere in the past week.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/tennis/court-speed-at-australian-open-tennis-unchanged-says-tournament-director-craig-tiley-20140105-30c1e.html#ixzz2pYI6CQ1T

truffin1

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:31 am

I knew it was too good to be true...
Why  would ATP and ITF do the opposite from what thet have been doing for years: favouring Nadal?

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:21 am

Relax, the court will be fast, have patience...

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:33 am

As Nadal said Craig Tiley is his friend...so a faster surface would have been surprising.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:59 pm

Interesting that of all the players practising in Melbourne this week, Nadal is the only one mentioning/complaining that it's faster than before.
But even more interesting is how he views the tournament as not so "lucky" for him.

"I was not lucky in this tournament in the past. Is really the Grand Slam I have the more trouble during all my career.
Completely different conditions than what I remembered of this tournament. Faster conditions that I ever played here in Australia. I really don't understand very well why they change because the last couple of years, Australian Open had amazing matching, long ones, good ones for the crowd.
I think that I am practicing better a little bit every day. I hope to adjust my game to these conditions."

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:35 pm

Typical. He seems to object to typical tennis conditions. And certainly a long match is a good one....but frankly who watched the whole 6 hours final of 2012? Not me.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:30 pm

Federer's take on the speed of courts in Melbourne:

"I think even these conditions here, we'll see long rallies. We're not talking about a lightning speed court. In Brisbane it was fast, but it wasn't lightning either. This is like medium. I don't know what the big problem is. Really can still play from the baseline, no problem. You can stay back, return from the back. You can do all that stuff if you want to. It's not like it's impossible. Even does it on the indoors where you don't think that's possible.  That's how Nadal beat me in London
anyway.”

Puts it all nicely in perspective.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by truffin1 Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:38 pm

So far the Tournament director and other officials at the AO say the court conditions are exactly the same.  Every single player including djokovic and Federer who have played on Laver, when asked, said the conditions were the same or close to the same.   Federer is the only one to even say it was slightly faster, but "not enough to change the play" as he said a couple of days ago, and in the his pre tourney presser said it was the same medium as always.

Yet, we have the Nadal fanatics claiming "reliable" sources are saying the courts are LIGHTNING fast and of course Nadal and his camp complaining as always. This reminds me of his  "knee felt like it exploded" when he stood up from a chair at the hotel excuse before the AO a couple of years ago yet he was able to make it through to the finals.....   For some reason he and his camp, and especially his fans have to downplay his chances each and every time so it seems like he's some kind of superman if he wins.. He's the #1 player in the world- it's not a miracle if the guy wins.   

The AO Courts this year are clearly NOT sped up.  Federer has talked about how the later rounds get played at night and the "conditions dramatically slow".  The AO courts will be plenty slow for Nadal, nice and high bouncing. If he doesn't win it's because he wasn't good enough to win

truffin1

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:53 pm

truffin1 wrote:If he doesn't win it's because he wasn't good enough to win
Absolutely, and unfortunately the fact is he is not good enough to win these days.
Nadal is nearly 28 now, and has been a professional for a long time, consider the fact he started playing ATP at a much younger age than everyone else. So his 'adjusted age' is like 31.
So being realistic, I think Nadal is entering permanent decline, even if he does manage to avoid the injuries which have ripped apart his career.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:59 pm

Even Murray, who is always blatantly honest and does not play mind games in press conferences says the courts are the same as ever (even the balls!)

"Same as last year, exactly the same. Same balls. Same speed. Laver Arena is a little bit faster than Hisense. Margaret Court is on a very big slope. I practiced on that today. The court is (steep). It's weird. The courts and the balls are exactly the same as last year."

It really is embarrassing and weird how Nadal carries on...all that fear, "luck", superstition...

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeyM1000 Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:01 pm

Fast women, slow horses,
I'm reliable sources
And I'm holding up the lamp-post if you want to know  musicalnote  musicalnote

mikeyM1000

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:46 pm

truffin1 wrote: If he doesn't win it's because he wasn't good enough to win

I'd say "if he wins, it's because the court was made for him". Cause no way he'd win in previous conds. He got beaten by Gonzo, Hewitt, Tsonga and so forth before they dramatically slowed it down in 2009!

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by truffin1 Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:23 am

Nonsense Amrit- how do you spout off such nonsense. It is not a "fact" that nadal can no longer win and is on some decline- he's coming off his best year ever. I realize you are being purposely outlandish as some type of state my about how overboard nadal haters can be- but cut the nonsense out. None of the excuses you nadal fanatics and the nadal team can come up with can explain away his loss(if he loses) or his career long inconsistency off of clay.

I notice how you do not answer and change the subject to your comical claim to once Again have inside sources who have any knowledge of what's going on behind the scenes. You claim of definitive knowledge that the courts are lightening fast have proven to be false, much like your other claims of inside knowledge

truffin1

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:29 pm

And last, but not the least, the 4 time, three consecutive years AO Champion,  hoping to rewrite history books by winning it for the 5th time, Noooovaaaak Djo-ko-viiiiiiic:

"For me the court, Rod Laver Arena, is the same like last year. Last year it was slightly faster comparing to the years before, but no major difference."

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:05 pm

truffin1 wrote:It is not a "fact" that nadal can no longer win and is on some decline- he's coming off his best year ever.
I'm afraid it is actually.
Nadal is coming off his best year ever maybe, but is now entering a state of permanent decline.

truffin1 wrote:
You claim of definitive knowledge that the courts are lightening fast have proven to be false, much like your other claims of inside knowledge
They were right about Cilic, Troicki, and the AO courts (Nadal said so).

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeyM1000 Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:10 pm

I.e. they were wrong about the AO courts.

mikeyM1000

Back to top Go down

Post by truffin1 Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:00 pm

Please- your cilic and tricki posts were on the same day and after rumors were already public. Good try. And tournament officials, federer, djoko, Murray, Hewitt, and several others who have publicly said there is little to no change in the court speed disprove you and FAR outweigh one players, nadals, whining.

truffin1

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:01 pm

They weren't on the same day, firstly.

And secondly I trust Rafa's verdict, let's see shall we?

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:11 pm

We have already seen the court speed in Federer Tsonga match on Laver the other day.
There is nothing left to see except hope for Tomic to have his day.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:41 pm

Julia Santamaria wrote:They weren't on the same day, firstly.

That will be your downfall Amri. Nadal is not a trustable person!

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeyM1000 Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:37 pm

Why? Why would you trust his verdict over that of every other player? Is it some sort of hero-worship that make you think he alone is infallible?

mikeyM1000

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:50 pm

Tenez wrote:

That will be your downfall Amri. Nadal is not a trustable person!
Do you know he won a massive poker tournament last year?  Cool

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by truffin1 Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:38 am

Brad Gilbert and Chris Everett completely mocking nadal on Espn right now over the court speed. After showing federer, djoko, Murray comments, then nadal- Gilbert: " is rafa playing in the same courts as everyone else. I've been on laver multiple time this week and it's no different. Went on to say the outside courts are playing faster in the heat as usual, but the "three show courts are markedly slower than the outer. fed is right, medium if even that."

That rules out Gilbert and Everett as amerits sources. Of course anyone with a bit if understanding of the game and ever seeing what tennis was like before the slowdown, can see right now that the AO is still too slow. Watching it on laver right now, ball is fluffed up and not hitting through the court. Don't worry amerit, even nadal in his permanent decline will find these condition in his favor

truffin1

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:38 am

I think it was obvious it was going to be slow to almost everyone.  It's still slow. It still sucks.  Nadal is still whinging about court speed.  He's terrified that he may need a bit of ability, isn't he?

Daniel

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:12 am

FedererKing wrote:....He's terrified that he may need a bit of ability, isn't he?

Well put....but I suspect the real reason is for him to lessen the pressure. "It's fast, therefore I am the challenger!".....he thrives as a challenger...I am just his best years were when he was in the shadow of Federer, yet beat Federer most of the time. When he won Wimby and was world number 1, he did not have the guts to defend it!

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:42 pm

At last, someone agrees with Nadal about the speed of courts in Melbourne....his uncle! Laugh

"The spectators want a bit of rallying, a bit of tactics. People don't go to Barcelona's stadium to watch Lionel Messi taking penalties.
This year everything is a bit quicker, that's my feeling and also Rafa's. I don't know if it's because of the courts or the balls, which I think have been changed, but I don't think it's good for the spectacle."

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:12 pm

noleisthebest wrote:At last, someone agrees with Nadal about the speed of courts in Melbourne....his uncle! Laugh

"The spectators want a bit of rallying, a bit of tactics. People don't go to Barcelona's stadium to watch Lionel Messi taking penalties.
This year everything is a bit quicker, that's my feeling and also Rafa's. I don't know if it's because of the courts or the balls, which I think have been changed, but I don't think it's good for the spectacle."
No Toni, people don't want long rallies, they just want to see Nadal win. That's all they care.....well at least 50% of them....Are you trying to make us believe you developed Nadal's game based on what people want to see? You are so considerate!  Cheers 

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:17 pm

Toni Nadal, just like his awful little nephew. Listen, Tony... some of us want to see ability shine.  Keep your moonballing crap for clay.  Thanks.

Daniel

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:21 pm

Rafael Nadal has incredible ability, and it has shined us 13 Grand Slams. smiley

Toni is a man of the people.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by truffin1 Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:25 pm

I saw all I had to see yesterday through 2 matches on Laver to see the courts are typical slow.   Pretty hysterical to watch the commentators rolling their eyes and mocking Nadal. His act and his uncles is wearing thin.

Maybe Nadal and Tony are Amerits sources?  Since they are the only ones who see it as "lighting quick" as Amerit had "confirmed" lol.... smh..

Very definition of a fanatic-  50 experts and our own eyes say and see one thing, but she believes the only 1 saying the opposite who happens to be her idol..

Last edited by truffin1 on Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

truffin1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next