Our Tennis Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» I Just Can't Help Believing!
Federer - Edberg Keen To Coach Federer! EmptySat Mar 23, 2024 9:00 pm by noleisthebest

» The Bullshit of Rafael Nadal
Federer - Edberg Keen To Coach Federer! EmptyMon Feb 12, 2024 12:15 am by Daniel2

» Why Trump's 'tough' stance on radical Islam... could lead to more terrorism
Federer - Edberg Keen To Coach Federer! EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:32 am by Daniel2

» Missing Madeline 10 years on..
Federer - Edberg Keen To Coach Federer! EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:31 am by Daniel2

» '15 Dubious Weak Era Records'
Federer - Edberg Keen To Coach Federer! EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:06 am by Daniel2

» AO 2024 - Sinner baby!!
Federer - Edberg Keen To Coach Federer! EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:05 am by Daniel2

» Paris Masters
Federer - Edberg Keen To Coach Federer! EmptyMon Nov 06, 2023 9:47 pm by noleisthebest

» Alvarez could bring me back to tennis
Federer - Edberg Keen To Coach Federer! EmptyWed Sep 20, 2023 10:25 am by raiders_of_the_lost_ark

» IDEMOOOOOOO! ! ! !
Federer - Edberg Keen To Coach Federer! EmptyMon Sep 11, 2023 9:47 am by noleisthebest

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

Edberg Keen To Coach Federer!

+5
truffin1
luvsports!
Daniel
summerblues
noleisthebest
9 posters

Go down

Federer - Edberg Keen To Coach Federer! Empty Edberg Keen To Coach Federer!

Post by noleisthebest Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:12 am

Wow!
Just as I've been digesting and recovering from yesterday's news bomb of boom boom Becker becoming Nole's coach, we now have Edberg announcing that he wouldn't mind coaching Federer.
The two spent a week training in Dubai, and this is what Stefan the Backhand had to say:

"It's a matter for us to find time to fit it in. If we can, I would be more than happy.
The idea of the camp was that I would give my views and come up with some feedback. He wants to try some new things.
I was very surprised (that Federer asked) because it's so long since I left tennis.
But I was also very flattered. I've never really thought about coaching and if it had not been Federer doing the asking, honestly, I would not have been interested.
Of course I have some comments as to what needs to change and evolve, but it's not the done thing that I sit here and talk about it.
I think he will be coming back. He's a great player and all the pieces are in place, he can definitely win some more grand slam titles."

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2013/12/19/edberg-keen-coach-federer-if-asked

Federer - Edberg Keen To Coach Federer! Fededb_1116476c

What do you think, hit or miss?

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Federer - Edberg Keen To Coach Federer! Empty Re: Edberg Keen To Coach Federer!

Post by noleisthebest Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:21 am

"Of course I have some comments as to what needs to change and evolve, but it's not the done thing that I sit here and talk about it."

I wonder what Edberg has in mind here...I must say again - quite exciting news/times....or is it that it's been so dead for a few weeks that it all looks bigger than it is?    Seeing Double

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:42 am

I wonder how serious this is. I suspect not very much, but I would like the idea. Not necessarily as a full time coach, even as someone to bounce ideas off would be good.

Fed has lots of options in his game; much more so than most players. When he was winning everything, it did not matter as much whether or not he was picking the best one. But now he is at the point where a difference between a good and a bad decision can make a difference between still being very competitive or going downhill from where he is now. Plus he does not have the luxury of time to afford a bad decision.

So having someone who can help him analyze his game - and Edberg might perhaps be able to - could be useful.

Plus I also like the idea just because Edberg is one of my all time favorite players; so having him in Fed's corner would be nice.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:04 am

Federer cannot defeat age, but he can squeeze out a few more victories in the next year or two before the end.  He can win another slam too, but it's a big ask.

Daniel

Back to top Go down

Post by luvsports! Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:01 pm

Roger Federer
I am happy to announce that beginning in Melbourne, Stefan Edberg will join Severin Lüthi on my coaching team. Severin, who has been part of my team for the last 7 years, will do most of the weeks and Stefan has agreed to work with us for at least 10 weeks starting at the Australian Open in Melbourne. Stefan was my childhood hero, and I am really looking forward to spending time and learning from him.

Looks like its official!

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:10 pm

That's brilliant!
I don't know why I'm excited, but I just am....can't help myself  diva 

I like the fact the golden "oldies" are back, that will only add to the popularity of tennis, and I hope they all influence their players in the best possible way.

Toni must be worried for his chair now  Laugh

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by truffin1 Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:22 pm

Federer has also confirmed he has switched to and will be playing Brisbane, Australian with the 98" new racquet he tried out last year!!! Says they tweaked it a bit and he's been fully training...  Also- he thinks he will be at peak in March/April as he feels he needs to still catch up on traning.

I thought the 98 was a pretty big switch- but he must feel comfortable.

truffin1

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:13 pm

That's even more exciting!
Man, when he gets hold of that ball with his FH!!!!!
Finally, I'll have one thing in common with Fed, the size of our racquets  Big Grin 

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by paulcz Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:12 pm

truffin1 wrote:Federer has also confirmed he has switched to and will be playing Brisbane, Australian with the 98" new racquet he tried out last year!!! Says they tweaked it a bit and he's been fully training...  Also- he thinks he will be at peak in March/April as he feels he needs to still catch up on traning.

I am just sceptical about 98". From matches I saw when he played with this frame, he was utterly different player. He    looked as if he wanted to start play road runnish game, which is a sheer nonsense. That is just bad news.

If his back still hampers him in the game, then a bigger frame is not definitely a solution how to beat the best again. Only thing that can justify that switch is to prolong his carreer, which I can't get it.

I think that he will move to a frame as the biggest  95", unless he gets any frame between 90-95inch.

Stefan is fine, actually only available high profile player, but to be honest I don't think that Fed is coachable stuff in his current career period. Of course Stefan is able to give him a new impulse and energy for the game, but in the first place Fed needs to fix his back. So instead of the new coach, Fed should find the best physio and fitness coach.

paulcz

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:32 pm

paulcz wrote: I am just sceptical about 98". From matches I saw when he played with this frame, he was utterly different player. He    looked as if he wanted to start play road runnish game, which is a sheer nonsense. That is just bad news.

If his back still hampers him in the game, then a bigger frame is not definitely a solution how to beat the best again. Only thing that can justify that switch is to prolong his carreer, which I can't get it.

That's what I thought at the beginning, but then again, Fed's game is predominately baseline and with the current slow conditions he needs all the help he can get with the consistency of his groundstrokes.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:54 pm

Fed on the new racquet:

"The racket is extremely important.
But now I have the feeling that this is the right time for a change. I've played through two and a half weeks with the new model and am confident. The racket suits me very well."

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:53 pm

Quite looking forward to this.  I like both Edberg appointment and the new racquet frame size.  They can both backfire but they both strike me as calculated risks.

The racquet can help his consistency which is, like it or not, too important in today's game to ignore.  Of course there is a risk that this will be too big a change this late in his career, but if he wants to win big things again, he needs to take some risks.

Similar with Edberg.  I do not expect Federer to try have Edberg dramatically change his game, but it is good to have someone else provide feedback.  Edberg's low key personality is also a plus.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by truffin1 Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:19 pm

paulcz wrote:
truffin1 wrote:Federer has also confirmed he has switched to and will be playing Brisbane, Australian with the 98" new racquet he tried out last year!!! Says they tweaked it a bit and he's been fully training...  Also- he thinks he will be at peak in March/April as he feels he needs to still catch up on traning.

I am just sceptical about 98". From matches I saw when he played with this frame, he was utterly different player. He    looked as if he wanted to start play road runnish game, which is a sheer nonsense. That is just bad news.

I think that he will move to a frame as the biggest  95", unless he gets any frame between 90-95inch.

Stefan is fine, actually only available high profile player, but to be honest I don't think that Fed is coachable stuff in his current career period. Of course Stefan is able to give him a new impulse and energy for the game, but in the first place Fed needs to fix his back. So instead of the new coach, Fed should find the best physio and fitness coach.

Federer is speaking pretty positively about the back and I have read some good interviews with his fitness trainer Pierre.. It's clear (which we knew) that the back was a massive problem for him last year..  Pagninni talks about it having affected every aspect of their training.. They reduced his strength and fitness training..  it was all about trying to clear up the problem and maintain whatever fitness they could. Now he talks about Federer doing all the drills he has ever done, working on explosive fitness,etc...  Federer talks about this as well.............

The problem that remains which they don't speak up of-- is the problem can come back at any time... as anyone who has back issue knows- it just reappears..    So Federer and his team can talk about him being healthy and fit now and what it can lead to, but we just don't know if it will hit him again..    I do think they believe Federer can make some runs if he does maintain his current health.

I'm with you on the racquet-  95 seems like it would have been a good medium, but I guess they tested them all and are most comfortable with this.

truffin1

Back to top Go down

Post by paulcz Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:52 pm

truffin1 wrote:
paulcz wrote:

Federer is speaking pretty positively about the back and I have read some good interviews with his fitness trainer Pierre.. It's clear (which we knew) that the back was a massive problem for him last year..  Pagninni talks about it having affected every aspect of their training.. They reduced his strength and fitness training..  it was all about trying to clear up the problem and maintain whatever fitness they could. Now he talks about Federer doing all the drills he has ever done, working on explosive fitness,etc...  Federer talks about this as well.............

The problem that remains which they don't speak up of-- is the problem can come back at any time... as anyone who has back issue knows- it just reappears..    So Federer and his team can talk about him being healthy and fit now and what it can lead to, but we just don't know if it will hit him again..    I do think they believe Federer can make some runs if he does maintain his current health.

I'm with you on the racquet-  95 seems like it would have been a good medium, but I guess they tested them all and are most comfortable with this.

Hi Truffin, quite interisting and all makes sense and completely agree.

I personnaly also have a low back issue, so when I get a cold air on my back, I am in a pickle again. Therefore I need to wear an elastic belt for that case and my doctor advised me to wear it always when playing tennis. There is really nothing sure with any backs for sure.

If Fed  stays with the frame of 98" succesfully, then that will be the biggest surprise in tennis for me ever.
I understand that they need to speak out about that switch in a positive way, but Fed is always positive about his outlook. So that, let's look forward to seeing him in the action soon. 

A bit funny idea, If I switched my 98" to 106", I am completely lost. Unless I would use it  for catching butterflies  Cool

paulcz

Back to top Go down

Post by truffin1 Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:06 pm

During the Basel Tournament or maybe Paris?  I posted some quotes from Annacone that he said about Federer while Annacone was commentating for Tennis Channel during the Federer matches...   The other guys asked him the "story" behind the racquet change that Fed attempted after Wimby..    Surprisingly, Annacone was fairly ambivalent or downright against Federer changing the racquet. He talked about it having to have a "purpose" and not change just to change.. said Federer was not losing due to lack of power and with his immense head speed, those who thought a bigger racquet would cut down on mishits didn't know tennis..  I was surprised he was so against it frankly..........

I'm now wondering if Federer deciding to go ahead with the change was a factor in Annacone and Fed splitting.....

truffin1

Back to top Go down

Post by paulcz Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:57 pm

I am totally with Annacone regarding to his sceptical view to such a big frame. I am convinced that increasing amount of his BH mishits comes mainly from his back troubles.

Yeah, I also had  glimpses that Annacone's sceptical stand to the racket change could speed up their split or was the last point for Fed's decision, but I do think it had its weight in their splitting. You know, when things are going poorly and you find something which you are convinced about that could work well for you and your coach is against it, then frustrations go up more. I am really curious about Fed's “new game”.

paulcz

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:33 pm

Blast from the (fast) past:

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by raiders_of_the_lost_ark Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:09 am

paulcz wrote:I am totally with Annacone regarding to his sceptical view to such a big frame. I am convinced that increasing amount of his BH mishits comes mainly from his back troubles.

Yeah, I also had  glimpses that Annacone's sceptical stand to the racket change could speed up their split or was the last point for Fed's decision, but I do think it had its weight in their splitting. You know, when things are going poorly and you find something which you are convinced about that could work well for you and your coach is against it, then frustrations go up more. I am really curious about Fed's “new game”.

Me too. But I'm not with Anacone if he thinks Fed could have continued with the old frame and still be competitive for Slam success ( the only ones that matter for Fed if anything apart from playing tennis). Yes Fed major problem last year was his back and other injuries, but there comes a stage where an old technology just can't keep pace with the new ones who matter how talented the player is. Maybe one some occasions on a good day, but it ultimately will lose in the longer scheme of things. If tennis has moved to being a game of who is more consistent, then Fed too needs to take up weapons that aid such game.

raiders_of_the_lost_ark

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:16 am

noleisthebest wrote:Blast from the (fast) past:

That's so much better than today.  All the nice shots and volleys.  Now just baseline crap.  Federer should come in a few times even now, it would get him a cheap point or two.

Daniel

Back to top Go down

Post by luvsports! Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:43 am

show the feds sampras match, that was proper fast.

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

Post by wilson_nxt Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:46 am

Issue with Feds BH last year was not just his back but his footwork was poor getting into position meaning he ended up late into the shot so had to play more slices than normal. He realised he needed to get fitter and has done over the winter. Question is whether he can ever be as secure on that wing given his technique has slipped the past 2-3 years. New racquet will help, bigger sweet spot is more forgiving, he may decrease the tension too to get more MPH on his shots. All this takes time to adjust, so F in Brisbane wasn't bad start.

wilson_nxt

Back to top Go down

Post by raiders_of_the_lost_ark Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:16 am

wilson_nxt wrote:Issue with Feds BH last year was not just his back but his footwork was poor getting into position meaning he ended up late into the shot so had to play more slices than normal. He realised he needed to get fitter and has done over the winter. Question is whether he can ever be as secure on that wing given his technique has slipped the past 2-3 years. New racquet will help, bigger sweet spot is more forgiving, he may decrease the tension too to get more MPH on his shots. All this takes time to adjust, so F in Brisbane wasn't bad start.

His BH is not the only problem, last year and still now he misses quite a few of the FH wing too. He just looks out of position on many of those shots that shank. A Single-handed BH needs a very solid DTL shot, Fed's this shot is almost extinct. 

A final at Brisbane is an OKAY result. But considering his performance especially how easily he threw away the 1st set, it was not very encouraging. It could be that he is a work-in-progress with the new racquet, maybe some more time is needed.

raiders_of_the_lost_ark

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:02 pm

His problem is he is getting old...  timing goes off.. body doesn't do what it used to do.  There's nothing he can do about it.  He just has to hope some form comes back and that he can squeeze out some wins in the time he has remaining.  Few people can play to an outstanding standard past 30 in tennis.  In fact the only person who comes to mind in any physical sport is Ryan Giggs.  The bottom line is, Federer of old is gone and he isn't coming back.  Appreciate him for what he was and what he can still do in patches.  And have hope that he can win another slam, because he can.

Daniel

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:10 pm

Can't anyone see there are 2 Federers? The one playing great and still the best (with new or old racquet)....and the one who simply cannot line up matches days in days out.

I only read once sentence of his post final interview and it said " "I have a clear idea what I need to work on and I have a clear idea where my mind and body is at." .....that says to me that he knows he is cooked....while I think he thought his back problems may have been in the past....looks like they just returned.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:50 pm

Of course everyone can see, well at least/especially those who saw his match against Hewitt.
It was not nice to watch at all.
His struggling was enhanced by his will to keep playing.
Despite all the problems the match was in his hands, and it's a shame he lost it, not for the sake of the 250 tournament trophy,  but just how much it would have meant in terms of getting a bit of satisfaction for what he had been putting himself through all last year.
It was almost like watching a Greek tragedy.

I actually posted that post-match interview passage yesterday and removed it because in my willed delusion I misread the last sentence which said stg like "I would hopefully win it", but on rereading it I realised he was talking not of Australian Open, but Brisbane...
So now I am quite without any hope for this AO, and I so looked forward to watching him play healthy.
Having said that, he did mention (in an interview during the off-season) that his fitness programme he started going through fully would bring him back to where he needs to be in spring time.
Not many points to defend after Oz, maybe he can continue his on tour existence with these on and off backache times and strengthen the core and whatever else needs to be done as he goes.
Such a shame.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:06 pm

Hope you are right NITB....my concern is that he is doing fine well one day and pretty poorly next....typically as there is no day rest in between.

I have finally watched a bit of Fed/Chardy and I must say I am pleased with what I was seeing. Fed's BH considerably improved with that racquet though the pace of court was of help as well. It was so great to see the ball fly past payers like in the good old days instead of stopping dead on the baseline.

His return game was also very good, again, thanks to the big racquet. I think it is clear fed will get only better with it. I simply don't understand why he did not do that change earlier.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down