Latest topics
» What now for Roger?
The Off-Season Thread - Page 2 EmptyYesterday at 4:37 pm by Jahu

» Slam chase
The Off-Season Thread - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 18, 2019 11:31 pm by Tenez

» Generation Worthless
The Off-Season Thread - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 18, 2019 2:08 pm by mcekovic

» Wimbledon Day 13, Sunday 14th July
The Off-Season Thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 16, 2019 7:03 am by raiders_of_the_lost_ark

» Wimbledon seeding is disrespectful, says Rafael Nadal
The Off-Season Thread - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 15, 2019 1:15 pm by barrystar

» Women final
The Off-Season Thread - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 13, 2019 4:54 pm by bogbrush

» Wimbledon Day 11, Friday 12th July
The Off-Season Thread - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 13, 2019 12:10 pm by paulcz

» Wimbledon Day 9, Wednesday 10th July
The Off-Season Thread - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 11, 2019 9:21 pm by Tenez

» Wimbledon Day 10, Thursday 11th July
The Off-Season Thread - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 11, 2019 4:19 pm by Jahu

July 2019
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

The Off-Season Thread

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

The Off-Season Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: The Off-Season Thread

Post by noleisthebest on Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:34 am

Tenez wrote:Hi NITB - Looks like you are not enjoying the break! I am actually pleased there is no tennis. I am also pleased to know players are currently working hard in between seasons to max their chance next year.

I am curious to see who will benefit from the break first.

Nadal has quite a few points to defend in that clay season cause not only has he got the usual European clay tournaments but also the South American ones.
I thought you might want to know how hard Nole has been working between the seasons:

The Off-Season Thread - Page 2 BapBnQ3CEAAtJvi

noleisthebest

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez on Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:53 am

So now we know Nole is actually a "she". Yikes 

Tenez

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest on Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:42 am

Off-season and quiet times in tennis world, still, things seem to be happening:
Murray returning to tennis next week in Abu Dhabi (btw, did anyone see him win SPOTY on Sunday? I have been missing tennis so much I even saw THAT Yikes, well, part of...one of these days Lineker's orange face is surely going to fall off from all that fake tan...

Fed has been practicing in Dubai WITH STEFAN EDBERG  Magic 
"Stefan Edberg just finished doing a training week with me and my team. It was great spending time with one of my childhood heroes!"

and Nasty gives us his own NOW AND THEN story:

"Thirty or forty years ago, you can’t compare that to the coaches players have today, the managers, they have nutritionists now. It’s more professional for sure, it’s more physical, but it’s not fair to compare. The only thing I can say is that I had a great time in my time and I hope they feel the same way now. But at the time that’s what I felt I could do, entertaining the crowd, but probably now it would be impossible to do what I did then.

Because they can’t joke around with the serious way they are playing now. Probably there’ll be more money in the sport in the future and players might get even more serious. If people are offering the money, the players will play, what can you do? You can’t refuse the money."

Abu Dhabi exo starting on Boxing Day: Nole, Murray & Tsonga on one side of the draw, Nadal, Ferrer & Stan on the other (is it just me or does Nadal has to have his draw fixed EVEN in exos!?)

It's a beautiful sunny day and I'm off to tennis courts. Hope to see my bird fly low over me there.  love

noleisthebest

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest on Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:44 pm

It did!!!  love love love 

noleisthebest

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by paulcz on Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:02 pm

Yesterday, I could watch some matches from Czech tennis extraleague, as matches of Denis Istomin, Igor Sijsling, Lukasz Kubot. It was first time I could watch matches from the camera plateau, just about 2 metres above players and 4 metres behind the BL. I can say, that was a fascinating view.  When a player tossed a ball, it was like you could touch the ball. I especially appreciated watching an elbow loop move on serve and players' reaction on return.  I love the speed of  tennis, it is amazing.
The nicest shots were Istomin's returns, when he went for risky winners from Lukasz Kubot serve (his serve is technically poor). I thought that I will spend a few hours and will leave the session, but I stayed till the end of the day. Our team will play the final with Berdych's team tomorrow. It is pity that I can't attend it.
The thought of the day was, it is not bad to be a tennis player within TOP 100 nowadays  Winking

paulcz

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest on Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:08 pm

Yes, it's really worth paying for a good seat as it makes all the difference!
My closest ever was at Boodles this summer, I sat literally in the first row and chatted to Nole all the time, it was awesome!
After one point in which he followed my instruction and broke Dimigrov, he ran towards me, went on his knees, gave me the cheekiest smile and a double thumbs up, I'll never forget it.
I could scrutinise his forehand, and he has this amazing wristy movement with which he adds pace, it's not a clean  shot but the effect is very good.
And then came Dolgopolov and Cilic....I had a  feast of Dolgopolov's serve, that's got to be the craziest shot I have ever seen.
I love it!
Another guy I saw from super close  that is very, very special is Adrian Mannarino, a most wonderful, clean ball-striker, he'd kill it in the wooden racquet era, his ball contact on the serve was barely audiable, a wonderful player, just not fit enough for modern baseline tennis, unfortunately.

I also remember seeing close up Fed live for the first time in O2 in the 2010 WTF final, I fell in love with his BH, the versatility and feel he has on that shot is out of this world. He is special he must never retire!

A player who was a big live disappointment was Ferrer, I truly cannot believe how that guy is ranked at number three, it's embarrassing.

noleisthebest

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by paulcz on Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:55 pm

noleisthebest wrote:Yes, it's really worth paying for a good seat as it makes all the difference!

After one point in which he followed my instruction and broke Dimigrov, he ran towards me, went on his knees, gave me the cheekiest smile and a double thumbs up, I'll never forget it.

It does not happen too often to see Nole on his knees  Big Grin 

Absolutely. Tbh I am not interisted in watching tennis from 15th row up in the big stadium. The best seats for watching players are behind the BL, where  you can sense the court depth and  watch lateral movements.I had some luck to watch Agassi and Safin from media seats, when he played in Ostrava about 10 years ago, that was a real luck to see them so closely and last time.

paulcz

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest on Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:02 pm

Another anecdote from that match at Boodles was that security wanted me to remove my Serbian flag with NOLEISTHEBEST on it, I had it spread out in front of me over the add board/panel.
So the security woman came and asked me to put it away but I wouldn't until she told me why, first she said it was against "the rules" and when I asked which rules she went to ask - apparently it was covering one of the sponsor's add.
But I was not going to be intimidated and refused to do it because I could see the flag was covering no add at all.
So she went to ask the supervisor about it and never came back   Cool

noleisthebest

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by paulcz on Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:18 pm

2013-12-18
noleisthebest wrote:Another anecdote from that match at Boodles was that security wanted me to remove my Serbian flag with NOLEISTHEBEST on it, I had it spread out in front of me over the add board/panel.
So the security woman came and asked me to put it away but I wouldn't until she told me why, first she said it was against "the rules" and when I asked which rules she went to ask - apparently it was covering one of the sponsor's add.
But I was not going to be intimidated and refused to do it because I could see the flag was covering no add at all.
So she went to ask the supervisor about it and never came back   Cool
Nitb, I know that you are just great Hug.

Yesterday I saw playing Petra Kvitova's ex-friend Adam Pavlasek (born 1994). Petra switched him to Step, he is 35y.o., so we had a lot of jokes about it. There was also question, who will be next.  Cool 

I think that Pavlasek is going to get into TOP100 in a couple of years. But it is really hard to get there.

paulcz

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2