Our Tennis Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» I Just Can't Help Believing!
ATP 500: Basel, Valencia (The Draw Is Out) - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 23, 2024 9:00 pm by noleisthebest

» The Bullshit of Rafael Nadal
ATP 500: Basel, Valencia (The Draw Is Out) - Page 3 EmptyMon Feb 12, 2024 12:15 am by Daniel2

» Why Trump's 'tough' stance on radical Islam... could lead to more terrorism
ATP 500: Basel, Valencia (The Draw Is Out) - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:32 am by Daniel2

» Missing Madeline 10 years on..
ATP 500: Basel, Valencia (The Draw Is Out) - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:31 am by Daniel2

» '15 Dubious Weak Era Records'
ATP 500: Basel, Valencia (The Draw Is Out) - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:06 am by Daniel2

» AO 2024 - Sinner baby!!
ATP 500: Basel, Valencia (The Draw Is Out) - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:05 am by Daniel2

» Paris Masters
ATP 500: Basel, Valencia (The Draw Is Out) - Page 3 EmptyMon Nov 06, 2023 9:47 pm by noleisthebest

» Alvarez could bring me back to tennis
ATP 500: Basel, Valencia (The Draw Is Out) - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 20, 2023 10:25 am by raiders_of_the_lost_ark

» IDEMOOOOOOO! ! ! !
ATP 500: Basel, Valencia (The Draw Is Out) - Page 3 EmptyMon Sep 11, 2023 9:47 am by noleisthebest

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

ATP 500: Basel, Valencia (The Draw Is Out)

+7
summerblues
laverfan
Tenez
luvsports!
raiders_of_the_lost_ark
N2D2L
noleisthebest
11 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

ATP 500: Basel, Valencia (The Draw Is Out) - Page 3 Empty Re: ATP 500: Basel, Valencia (The Draw Is Out)

Post by noleisthebest Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:03 pm

Tenez wrote:Fed plays as if he had lots of pressure atm.....I think he is worried on few things.
I did notice he took a lot of pace off his FH at one stage, but revved it up again in this last game.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

ATP 500: Basel, Valencia (The Draw Is Out) - Page 3 Empty Re: ATP 500: Basel, Valencia (The Draw Is Out)

Post by noleisthebest Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:15 pm

Well....that was one fine match!

Vasek played his game and grew as the match went on, Fed kept fighting and charging and survived those few dips, which was so good to see.

He looked a bit tired esp compared to super energised Pospisil.

He is really toughing his wins out now and it's not as breezy as it once was, but, what a heart he has!
Where we saw folding earlier in the season, he is now persevering.
The crowd helped him a lot and bore him out tonight, it was wonderful to see how they blew wind in his sails when he was beginning to slow down.
Tomorrow it's Delpo and I hope Fed wakes up not too stiff from tonight's match.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by SayonaRa Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:28 pm

laverfan wrote: He will probably get through Pospisil...

Only just!! A question for you LF: when was the last time Federer had to work so hard ("2nd & 3rd set) to win a match vs a 44 ranked player? (Dimi ranked 22 was a piece of cake, relatively.)

SayonaRa

Back to top Go down

Post by SayonaRa Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:33 pm

Tenez wrote:Good to see Fed win this one....tomorrow will be tougher I think.
I don't know either player's game very well. (Don't remember Popsy tbh. Blush) Just curious why you thought the Canadian, ranking 20 places below Dimi, would be a tougher opponent for Fed.

SayonaRa

Back to top Go down

Post by paulcz Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:38 pm

Interisting match from many aspects. I saw the last two sets, but enjoyed them and watched them closely. Firstly, nobody knows how many Fed's matches will come and secondly that match was about the playing legend with a coming future tennis top player.

I really needed split my rooting for both of them, which is rather exceptional for me. Therefore that match was quite  special to watch. It is useless to speak about Fed's game or Fed alone so my focus was more on Vasek Pospisil.

There were a couple things which came to my mind during the match.

- the combination of that surface and balls is about ideal for me. Both players served about 200km/h and just well placed balls resulted in aces, but the surface still rewards an attacking player nicely

- well played slices are essential for all atacking players and both of them played them well

- Vasek has a great potential to get to the TOP 10. I like his court composure, great move, attacking instict, all court game and good serve, the second particularly. His body height of 193cm with his great body swiftness favours him for hard courts events.There is no real weakness in his game. Even with his 1st serve % about 35% he was still competitive on the court today with Fed. His approach to tennis is really great and just he has all the cards in his hands. Improving of his first serve and backhand hitting would bounce him to the top very soon. I don't know his coach Frédéric Fontang (French), who coached Chardy till 2011. But good coaching is really important when a player is on his way to get to the top 10.

Canada will have surely two tennis players in TOP 10 in the future and their chances to win DC when playing on home  hard court surface will be just superb.

Once thing which is important to mention is how the Swiss conservative crowds can make a nicely dignified tennis atmosphere, just as a cultural event Thumbs Up. Just to absolute  contrast with USO yelling mad pop corn children.

Last edited by paulcz on Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

paulcz

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:40 pm

SR wrote:
noleisthebest wrote:What a game from Fed....and THAT backhand of his has ever a more glorious and magnificent shot ever been played on a tennis court.
I'm drained.

Just wanted to say thank you for all your support for RF. Rose
It's not too taxing! Winking

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:43 pm

SR wrote:
Tenez wrote:Good to see Fed win this one....tomorrow will be tougher I think.
I don't know either player's game very well. (Don't remember Popsy tbh. Blush) Just curious why you thought the Canadian, ranking 20 places below Dimi, would be a tougher opponent for Fed.
I guessed right but I was wrong cauyse I underestimated the role of the crowd unsettling Pop for a while. Fed played better in those first 2 sets but let the game slip by. However I thought that Popisil would be able to make Fed more nervous with his big serve and big shots.....and almost did at the end.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:47 pm

Yes Paul...Vasek had a big say here but his serving is relatively poor (% of 1st serves) and needs to improve greatly. He played better towards the end...until his injury/mouvement showed up...making things easier for Fed (on the return essentially).

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by paulcz Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:57 pm

Tenez wrote:Yes Paul...Vasek had a big say here but his serving is relatively poor (% of 1st serves) and needs to improve greatly. He played better towards the end...until his injury/mouvement showed up...making things easier for Fed (on the return essentially).
That fact shows how big potential he has. You know to play with Fed in front of a full house of Swiss, that is nothing that helped him. Vasek has not played a similar match so far. Quite difficult to imagine how nerves work when serving. Just mad.  This match was a real challenge for him and he has done well.

Dimi's head was lost completely yesterday.

paulcz

Back to top Go down

Post by SayonaRa Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:08 pm

Tenez wrote:
SR wrote:
noleisthebest wrote:What a game from Fed....and THAT backhand of his has ever a more glorious and magnificent shot ever been played on a tennis court.
I'm drained.

Just wanted to say thank you for all your support for RF. Rose
It's not too taxing! Winking

It was taxing as hell for me, thank you very much. This semi-final has a lot of added symbolism.

What with the wtf implications in mind, not to mention his terrible year-long slide, this match is a must-win. In fact Basel is a must-win for Fed. You mean you had no fear at all, even in the 3rd set, that he wasn’t going to make it? 

I really REALLY want him to see him quality for wtf and I do have faith that he'll make it. I don't want to be proven wrong, so the extra stress.

SayonaRa

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:20 pm

SR wrote:

Only just!! A question for you LF: when was the last time Federer had to work so hard ("2nd & 3rd set) to win a match vs a 44 ranked player? (Dimi ranked 22 was a piece of cake, relatively.)
How far back do you want to go? He has always had tough matches in every season.

Nalbandian (TMC 2005), Hewitt (DC 2003), Simon (2008), Karlovic (Cinci - 2008?), Tipsarevic (AO 2008), Davydenko (numerous to count). You will mention rankings, but I recall matches (like Falla, Blake at Olympics - long list, if you want me to research) where he has had tough matches.

The ranking of the opponent is an approximation of how the opponents will play. Let me give you another example, Del Potro AO 2009 v USO 2009.

There is Benneteau who has given him trouble, he was ranked 49 in Paris 2009, the same year that Federer could have held all four slams (RG, W 2009 and AO 2010), if not for loses to Del Potro at USO 2009.

Here is another example at W 2010. I understand injuries and all that afflicts athletes at elite levels.

R64 Ilija Bozoljac (SRB) 152 W 6-3, 6-7(4), 6-4, 7-6(5)

The assumption that the person on the other side of the net is not a good player, is fallacious.

Nadal/Djokovic were beaten in doubles by Pospisil/Raonic, so be careful when you say Federer did not have to work hard. He always has, and as long as his body permits, he will continue to do that.

Pospisil is an upcoming player, and can cause problems for many. Think of Janowicz. Murray was causing problems for Federer since he came on the scene.

I can build an entire list, if you like. Winking

For years, Federer made it look so easy, his own achievements have now become a barometer for measuring him now.

I think TRuffin can better explain Joe Montana with SF 49ers and the KC than I can.

I am just happy to see a healthy Federer on court.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by SayonaRa Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:45 pm

laverfan wrote:
SR wrote:

How far back do you want to go? He has always had tough matches in every season.

Nalbandian (TMC 2005), Hewitt (DC 2003), Simon (2008), Karlovic (Cinci - 2008?), Tipsarevic (AO 2008), Davydenko (numerous to count). You will mention rankings, but I recall matches (like Falla, Blake at Olympics - long list, if you want me to research) where he has had tough matches.

The ranking of the opponent is an approximation of how the opponents will play. Let me give you another example, Del Potro AO 2009 v USO 2009.

There is Benneteau who has given him trouble, he was ranked 49 in Paris 2009, the same year that Federer could have held all four slams (RG, W 2009 and AO 2010), if not for loses to Del Potro at USO 2009.

Here is another example at W 2010. I understand injuries and all that afflicts athletes at elite levels.

R64 Ilija Bozoljac (SRB) 152 W 6-3, 6-7(4), 6-4, 7-6(5)

The assumption that the person on the other side of the net is not a good player, is fallacious.

Nadal/Djokovic were beaten in doubles by Pospisil/Raonic, so be careful when you say Federer did not have to work hard. He always has, and as long as his body permits, he will continue to do that.

Pospisil is an upcoming player, and can cause problems for many. Think of Janowicz. Murray was causing problems for Federer since he came on the scene.

I can build an entire list, if you like. Winking

For years, Federer made it look so easy, his own achievements have now become a barometer for measuring him now.

I think TRuffin can better explain Joe Montana with SF 49ers and the KC than I can.

I am just happy to see a healthy Federer on court.
Applause

Wow, I'm humbled. I know you take questions seriously LF, but this is more than I expected. Thank you.

No disrespects to Pospisil. A lot of Fed fans' problem these day is what you've pointed out again:

SayonaRa

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:25 am

SR wrote:Applause
Wow, I'm humbled. I know you take questions seriously LF, but this is more than I expected. Thank you.
Hug 

SR wrote: No disrespects to Pospisil. A lot of Fed fans' problem these day is what you've pointed out again:
Everyday that he steps on the court, healthy, with a racquet, it is a dream-come true for record-keepers.

Federer has now won 50 matches at the ATP World Tour 500 tournament in Basel. It is the fifth different tournament he’s won 50 or more matches.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2013/10/43/Basel-Friday-Federer-Dimitrov-Del-Potro.aspx

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:32 am

I saw Federer getting broken while serving for the match and then I had to go, so did not see the rest of the match.  The parts that I saw seemed encouraging.  He played better than in most of his recent matches.  His movement looked good and he was hitting plenty of great shots.  What is still missing is consistency.  Whether it is down to confidence only or some other issues, he was still making too many cheap errors.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:39 am

I like Vasek.  He was totally off my radar until his match against Milos in Canada, so I have not seen enough of him to have a strong opinion on how likely he is to be playing well and consistently, but what I have seen from him so far looks promising.  Big serve (I think he may have out-aced Milos in their match), and his game actually looks more complete than Milos's.

He ended up with a good scoreline against Federer, though we should keep in mind that Federer probably should have won 6:3 6:3.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by raiders_of_the_lost_ark Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:13 am

Looks like no one is watching Valencia smiley . This thread has almost 0 comments on it

raiders_of_the_lost_ark

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:04 pm

@ROTLA… I have been watching Valencia. Somewhere else there are comments regarding Ferrer and Verdasco. Ferrer is underestimated. He bagelled Janowicz in the third set, and beat Almugro handsomely.

The surprise all through the year have been players like Dodig and Tursunov ( http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2013/Moet-ATP-Awards/2013-ATP-Awards-Comeback-Player-Nominees.aspx ), Gasquet and Youzhny. Tsonga and Monfils have done well despite injury.

Much to celebrate.

summerblues wrote:What is still missing is consistency.
Watch the eighth game of the second set again. He was angry at himself (and the umpire). He dislikes his own inconsistency.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:51 pm

raiders_of_the_lost_ark wrote:Looks like no one is watching Valencia smiley. This thread has almost 0 comments on it
Where is this? who is playing? Winking

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:14 pm

It's one of the first time you see federer obviously lacking confidence. This FH that gave delpo the break was so hesitant.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:16 pm

but then played a great game to break right back.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:38 pm

Pretty good first set.  Fed played as well as I have seen him play recently, but Delpo was very good too.  All in all, a deserved first set for Delpo.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:49 pm

Stunning FH to break !!!

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:50 pm

That was simply a perfect return game.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:14 pm

Yes.....Fed getting younger again! Winking

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:15 pm

Pretty good match so far.  The second set was high quality too.  Fed playing really well and - in spite of the one-sided scoreline - Delpo has not been playing poorly either.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by SayonaRa Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:17 pm

Is delpo going to roar back in the 3rd and swallow up all of Roger's shots like he did with the other Roger in the semi?

SayonaRa

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:42 pm

Bit unlucky there Fed in those first 2 games of 3rd set.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:45 pm

Really playing well now Del Po, he's stepped up his game.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:53 pm

Have to go now so will miss the ending.  This has been a very good and enjoyable match.  Hopefully Roger can bring this sort of form to the final two weeks of the season.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:01 pm

If Youzhny can hang on for another set, I will be happy for him.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by SayonaRa Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:15 pm

Delpo -you're the favorite after all Applause .

Fed – not too shabby at all from an old champ; admirable efforts in fact despite the loss :smooch:and better luck in Paris Good Luck

SayonaRa

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:40 pm

Youzhny into double-digits for Winner trophies with 10 titles in Singles now. Applause 

A nice pistol-Pete smash in the process.

Ferrer. Cry 

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:22 pm

I don;t mind Fed's loss to Delpo as much as versus the other top players.

The good news is that Fed moved quite ok and his serve was not too bad ...except in that beginning 3rd set. If he stays healthy like that he will regain his confidence soon.

Delpo is the man in form so no shame in losing to him...cause we should keep in mind that tennis is a sport where the opponent plays a big role and it's not always in Fed's racquet as the game is tougher than in 2007.

Having said that Fed can play much better than today and certainly did in the past but those in-the-zone days might get rarer.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by truffin1 Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:42 am

Fed played with wonderful fire and passion today. IT was the best form I've seen in a long time. Maybe this and Cincy against Nadal since early in the year. A bit concerning he lost both though.........but Delpo at that level is a handful for ANYONE. Fed was the more spectular player but Delpo's bombs were brutal.  I think Fed can gain from this.  Too bad he'll have to play Paris as 3 weeks in a row with the WTF is going to make it hard for him to not wear down.. but we might see him pull out of Paris once WTF is secure.

Feds 1st serve % was still very low at points. I noticed his timing was off when he tried to ramp up the mph...  I believe he's tried to protect the back for so long on serve this year, that his timing is off when he tries to play freely.. a good practice block with good health should allow him to improve this for 2014. 

The ovation the swiss crowd gave him was truly moving during the trophy ceremony. The wouldn't stop cheering. sadly it gave me a preview of what a retirement announcement will be like and I bet that flashed through Fed's mind, but I also think it will inspire him going forward. 

Next year- I believe Delpo will replace Ferrer in the top 4 and a healthy Fed can be in the top 5 mix.

truffin1

Back to top Go down

Post by raiders_of_the_lost_ark Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:04 am

truffin1 wrote:Fed played with wonderful fire and passion today. IT was the best form I've seen in a long time. Maybe this and Cincy against Nadal since early in the year. A bit concerning he lost both though.........but Delpo at that level is a handful for ANYONE. Fed was the more spectular player but Delpo's bombs were brutal.  I think Fed can gain from this.  Too bad he'll have to play Paris as 3 weeks in a row with the WTF is going to make it hard for him to not wear down.. but we might see him pull out of Paris once WTF is secure.

Feds 1st serve % was still very low at points. I noticed his timing was off when he tried to ramp up the mph...  I believe he's tried to protect the back for so long on serve this year, that his timing is off when he tries to play freely.. a good practice block with good health should allow him to improve this for 2014. 

The ovation the swiss crowd gave him was truly moving during the trophy ceremony. The wouldn't stop cheering. sadly it gave me a preview of what a retirement announcement will be like and I bet that flashed through Fed's mind, but I also think it will inspire him going forward. 

Next year- I believe Delpo will replace Ferrer in the top 4 and a healthy Fed can be in the top 5 mix.
Great play from Fed except that 1st Game of the 3rd where is totally gifted the break to Delpo. Delpo didn't have to do much to get it and played solid there on.  Tough loss, but he should take positives from it. Delpo currently is playing as good as anyone out there and Fed not his best tennis, so the result isn't very surprising. Fed still hasn't beaten any top-10 player this year. 

But well done Fed.  Delpo will move to top-3 next year.

raiders_of_the_lost_ark

Back to top Go down

Post by SayonaRa Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:35 am

LF, Tz, TR, SB and raiders,Thumbs Up 

So proud of you steady minds and every single Fed fan on FB (+ elsewhere) who unanimously commented that it was a hard-fought match for both. Fed played perhaps his best match this year but delpo was the deserving winner, having simply played a notch better and more consistent at the critical time. All credits to delpo. He remains classy and praiseworthy till the end in the ceremony.

My point is, not a single fed fan even attempted to make up any stupid excuse to bandage up Fed’s loss because of some personal and irrational “NEEDS” to believe that Fed is unbeatable and the greatest player ever.” Laugh Laugh Phew!

SayonaRa

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:47 am

A thoroughly entertaining match between Delpo and Federer. I was hoping for a last hoorah for Roger in the 3rd but Delpo managed to hold his nerve. I was very surprised just how comfortable Delpo was out on court. Roger blinked and Delpo didn't look back.

I am hoping Roger puts on a good showing in Paris this week and books his ticket to the O2. smiley

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:46 am

How many BPs Roger missed in that 3rd set? 3 or 5? can't remember but to be fair he had to save some more too.

That serve needs to improve still .

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by raiders_of_the_lost_ark Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:38 pm

Tenez wrote:How many BPs Roger missed in that 3rd set? 3 or 5? can't remember but to be fair he had to save some more too.

2 in the 2nd game when Delpo was 15-40 down on serve. He saved the first one with a brilliant unreturned first serve and the second one was a terrible UE from Fed. Then 2 good serves and Delpo held the game. That was Fed's only chance on Delpo's serve in the 3rd.

raiders_of_the_lost_ark

Back to top Go down

Post by SayonaRa Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:12 pm

truffin1 wrote:but we might see him pull out of Paris once WTF is secure.
I thought he has to win one more match to qualify, the first one he'd play in Paris vs Anderson or Youzny. If so, how can he pull out of Paris? What am I missing?

SayonaRa

Back to top Go down

Post by SayonaRa Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:14 pm

Tenez wrote:
Only if/when his back allows, unfortunately.Sad

SayonaRa

Back to top Go down

Post by truffin1 Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:48 pm

SR wrote:
truffin1 wrote:but we might see him pull out of Paris once WTF is secure.
I thought he has to win one more match to qualify, the first one he'd play in Paris vs Anderson or Youzny. If so, how can he pull out of Paris? What am I missing?
yes 1 win in 2nd round qualifies...  He could easily pull out like many players do citing fatigue or needing to heal a pull or something---  but then again, that goes against Fed's nature.  My greater feeling is once he secures the WTF, he'll keep going but will play with some reserve and not go all out-- in protection mode which we've seen from him this year--- which leads to a loss...     

To try and win Paris after what was a grueling Basel really-  then go and face the Top 8 in WTF immediately is just too much to ask imo..

Great words from you SR in your posts regarding Fed and also thanks for the shout out..   The Fed fan community is truly united behind him as you could certainly see in Basel..

truffin1

Back to top Go down

Post by SayonaRa Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:22 pm

@TRuffin,

I only saw the very long standing ovation on you-tube. Very touching indeed. Never saw anything like this even in a ceremony where he won a slam. Mirka looked very happy too but they didn’t show the twins. I guess they weren’t there?

Btw, in “the best form I've seen in a long time,” did you see any changes/innovation in Fed’s game?

Sometime ago on the BH side, Fed already started hitting a would-be BH return with his more reliable FH. But I don’t remember him running around and backing off SO FAR AWAY from the edge of the BH court, so much so that he vacates the entire court, making it entirly open to attack. Isn’t this too risky an approach? Or the potential rewards from the extremely angled return he’s able to launch from this seemingly awkward position are worth the risks? Dimi and Pospsil kept messing up when they tried to return it. 
Comments?

SayonaRa

Back to top Go down

Post by truffin1 Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:49 pm

SR wrote:@TRuffin,

I only saw the very long standing ovation on you-tube. Very touching indeed. Never saw anything like this even in a ceremony where he won a slam. Mirka looked very happy too but they didn’t show the twins. I guess they weren’t there?

Btw, in “the best form I've seen in a long time,” did you see any changes/innovation in Fed’s game?

Sometime ago on the BH side, Fed already started hitting a would-be BH return with his more reliable FH. But I don’t remember him running around and backing off SO FAR AWAY from the edge of the BH court, so much so that he vacates the entire court, making it entirly open to attack. Isn’t this too risky an approach? Or the potential rewards from the extremely angled return he’s able to launch from this seemingly awkward position are worth the risks? Dimi and Pospsil kept messing up when they tried to return it. 
Comments?
It was very moving. Fed looked like he was on the verge of tears or had tears and really didn't know what to do except bask in the glory.. DelPo was very gracious as well.. Seemed intent of making the ceremony as much about celebrating Roger as about his win...  Great stuff.

No changes really- he just played more freely.. really went all out in his movement and shotmaking.. He's been so guarded since the backproblems flared up..  The huge improvement to me was he stopped the mindless rushing to the net that we have seen in so many of his recent losses and poor decision making in which shot to use.  To me- Fed's mind was much clearer and he felt more confident in what he "could" do..   so he came to the net on good to excellent approach shots and while there made generally good decisions.    Delpo has so much power that he pinned Fed at the baseline a lot so maybe that actually helped Fed to be more selective.

Fed has one of the great inside out forehands in history-- McEnore called it a "liquid whip"   what you saw was a perfect example of Fed playing more freely and with confidence.. He might be starting to feel like he can take those risks now as the quality of his shot is high again... so he will go for that extreme winner..  If he hits it like he can- 9 out of 10 it's a winner so he feels like the risk is worth it..  It also takes fantastic effort and footwork to runaround and move into that position so that tells us Fed is more confident in his movement...    I'm so glad you pointed that out-- it's a really good sign he's trying for it and being successful.. One of my favorite shots to see as well!!

truffin1

Back to top Go down

Post by SayonaRa Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:45 pm

The "liquid whip"Laugh , I like it.  
Perhaps he can execute it with greater accuracy when he feels more confident vs lesser players. It may pay less dividend vs more competent guys able to return even apparently unreturnable shots. I didn’t see the whole final but would venture to say that that Fed whip must have been less effective vs delpo who still moves pretty well for his size. The rallies I did see bet them was very impressive. I was surprised that at times Fed’s BH never looked better. Nevertheless, I still have a very big and constant worry that he might certainly pull something and re-injure his back. 
Now that Annacone is virtually out of the picture, perhaps he feels more liberated to play his own game, as he’s now completely his own boss, so to speak?

In any event, it’s not realistic anymore to expect the old champ to win easy. Given the tight scheduling from Basel to London, I don’t expect him to recover in time to win London anyway. But it’d still be nice to see him qualify just to keep a very special tennis tradition alive at the wtf. Bubbly

Many thanks for your insight.Cheers 

SayonaRa

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:30 pm

The one person who has stood by Federer, apart from his family, is Luthi. His devotion to Swiss Tennis, and Federer, in particular, deserves enormous respect. He has taken a back to seat to more famous Federer coaches, but he has been there when others have not (and this is not a dig at Annacone).

Amongst his friends, Marco and Yves have been steady support. The support in Basel, and Switzerland, is very heartwarming. Hope to see Federer match Lendl's 12 consecutive YE championships.

PS: If all the people in the Basel stadium were given a Tennis racquet, they would probably have stood on Federer's side of the court (apart from the small Argentine contingent) and ensured a victory for Federer.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by SayonaRa Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:31 pm

laverfa wrote:Hope to see Federer match Lendl's 12 consecutive YE championships.
He did it. Applause

SayonaRa

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3