Our Tennis Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» I Just Can't Help Believing!
federer - Federer's New Coach EmptySat Mar 23, 2024 9:00 pm by noleisthebest

» The Bullshit of Rafael Nadal
federer - Federer's New Coach EmptyMon Feb 12, 2024 12:15 am by Daniel2

» Why Trump's 'tough' stance on radical Islam... could lead to more terrorism
federer - Federer's New Coach EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:32 am by Daniel2

» Missing Madeline 10 years on..
federer - Federer's New Coach EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:31 am by Daniel2

» '15 Dubious Weak Era Records'
federer - Federer's New Coach EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:06 am by Daniel2

» AO 2024 - Sinner baby!!
federer - Federer's New Coach EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:05 am by Daniel2

» Paris Masters
federer - Federer's New Coach EmptyMon Nov 06, 2023 9:47 pm by noleisthebest

» Alvarez could bring me back to tennis
federer - Federer's New Coach EmptyWed Sep 20, 2023 10:25 am by raiders_of_the_lost_ark

» IDEMOOOOOOO! ! ! !
federer - Federer's New Coach EmptyMon Sep 11, 2023 9:47 am by noleisthebest

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

Federer's New Coach

+3
Tenez
luvsports!
noleisthebest
7 posters

Go down

federer - Federer's New Coach Empty Federer's New Coach

Post by noleisthebest Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:19 pm

..somehow happens to be YOU!

Now that Federer does not have a coach and it's a relatively quiet week on the tour, why not imagine landing the dream/nightmare tennis job and becoming Federer's coach.

Apart from having the pleasure of watching him from close up all the time and sharing the air of his tennis bubble, what would you actually do to help him and see this one more time?

federer - Federer's New Coach Federer-wimbledon-1042507705

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

federer - Federer's New Coach Empty Re: Federer's New Coach

Post by noleisthebest Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:25 pm

Me....well, it would have to be the same old....hula-hoop sessions, 3x45mins a day Blush 

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by luvsports! Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:42 pm

I would race him first. I need time to think of other things.

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:59 pm

If I were his coach...I would ask him to use better dope. Not only they make you stronger but they heal you too (at least in the first phase). A friend of mine had a tennis elbow and the GP injected him with a steroid and it worked to perfection. I believed this is what Norman was saying as well.

BTW....thinking of Norman...does anyone remember we had a top player called Soderling?

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:12 am

Tenez wrote:If I were his coach...I would ask him to use better dope. Not only they make you stronger but they heal you too (at least in the first phase). A friend of mine had a tennis elbow and the GP injected him with a steroid and it worked to perfection. I believed this is what Norman was saying as well.

BTW....thinking of Norman...does anyone remember we had a top player called Soderling?
I thought you'd teach him how to play with Yonex!

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:16 am

well that as well. Winking

One thing for sure he is that he cannot carry on with the same racket....not on those conds.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:21 am

Tenez wrote:well that as well. Winking

One thing for sure he is that he cannot carry on with the same racket....not on those conds.
Until his loss to Robredo, I thought he could survive with his old racquet; my logic was if he could pull off all he did in 2012, no reason to change anything.
But in that match, he played sublime in the first set and still lost. TO ROBREDO!!!!!!!!!! Angry 

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:24 am

True...he played quite well. We see the great points and think he should win but the UEs are simply coming too easily with such a fine blade.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:30 am

I would love him to play well again with whatever brings back the edge he needs now, it's not easy for him  with all the pressures and expectations.
He does not lack hunger and diligence, that's all that matters.
I just hope when he walks into O2 and hears the roar of the crowd, something clicks in his mind and brings back the wind into his sails.
I don't even know if he is playing in Basel, but Nadal and Delpo are scheduled to play there and I've even heard rumours Nole will apply for a last minute WC, but don't think he will.

Last edited by noleisthebest on Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:31 am; edited 1 time in total

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:31 am

Oooh I would love to see a Nadal-Federer final at Basel.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:24 am

noleisthebest wrote:and I've even heard rumours Nole will apply for a last minute WC, but don't think he will.
Why WC? To give himself a glimmer of hope for the YE #1? Mathematically he is not without a chance but it would require almost perfect finish to the season, and he would still need Rafa collapsing.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:20 am

Julia Santamaria wrote:Oooh I would love to see a Nadal-Federer final at Basel.
And what advice would you give Federer as his coach in that match?

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:21 am

Posted an article on Maddy ..... wanted to have your views all.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by raiders_of_the_lost_ark Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:03 am

Fed is losing mainly because he is now severely low on confidence. He has almost completely lost his winning edge at the moment. He looks confused as to what shot to play, where to return etc.

It may have started with his inability to play given the on going bad -back issues he has had, but even if we assume his back maybe fine now, he still hasn't gained any confidence which is so much needed on pro circuit. He is playing like someone who might have great skill but full of doubts and nerves about his own game. That double handed return attempt at Halle shows clearly that he doubts his own game. His thought process isn't very clear. 

Fed seriously needs start from 0. I mean absolute 0. I think he should call off playing Basel/Bercy/WTF and only practice. He can continue with the old blade, this is Fed's best weapon to play with. New racquet may take years to adjust and will not help any bit in building the confidence he has with the old faithful. 

Fed can even take surgery if that back can be fixed. Murray did it now, its surprising why can't Fed. He may have a valid reason which we aren't aware of.

raiders_of_the_lost_ark

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:20 am

But confidence only comes with everything else being fine. That is why I do not buyt the confidence bit. In fact I think he still plays very aggressively despite not being confident (at least last time I saw him play which was against Robredo).

How many times have we seen him struggle at the beginning of a tournament and then play sublime by the final....he is the kind of player who is so much better than he can really switch it on if his body works. I remember when he won Wimby 2012 or IW 2012 with fever.

Problem is that if something is wrong confidence will never be there. He might still be able to get through a few rounds on talent and experience alone but not against the players who can rally for ever.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by raiders_of_the_lost_ark Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:03 pm

Tenez wrote:But confidence only comes with everything else being fine. That is why I do not buyt the confidence bit. In fact I think he still plays very aggressively despite not being confident (at least last time I saw him play which was against Robredo).
Not necessarily. Players may be entirely fit, but still lack confidence in their game and doubt their own ability. How often do we see lesser ranked players throwing away their chances while serving for the set or squandering easy chances to make it when playing top opponents. They have everything working fine, except their minds. They are unsure what shot to play in important points. 

Playing aggressive doesn't mean confidence. What do you have to say about Fed trying a double-handed return in the Halle semis against Haas? Do you think a confident Fed would trying something outrageous like that? I've been watching his matches sine 2001 and not once have I seen him do that, not even in doubles. 

Fed at times play ultra aggressive because he is stubborn at times in shot selection and doesn't want to back down in a rally. Being stubborn is also a sign of lack of confidence that he may not be able to turn around and gain the upper hand in the rally once he backs down. Lots of players play make-or-break ultra aggressive game against top players. Do you think they do it because of their confidence? I don't think so. They play it because they are not confident that if they allow the opponent even the slightest window, they may come on top. This is what Fed has been doing every time he players very aggressive game.

He is not able to get the thought process correct. His shot selection is often not right and looks confused as what tactic to imply. 

Tenez wrote:Problem is that if something is wrong confidence will never be there. He might still be able to get through a few rounds on talent and experience alone but not against the players who can rally for ever.
I'm not sure what is wrong with Fed. He doesn't make it clear honestly. All I can see is his game has totally fallen apart. Lots of his recent losses aren't attributed to playing against player who can rally forever. At least Robrado/Delbonis/Stakh/Tsonga/ wasn't. Fed is doubting his own game. and hence losing. Confidence is a big thing in 1x1 sport like tennis.

raiders_of_the_lost_ark

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:19 pm

[quote="raiders_of_the_lost_ark"]
How often do we see lesser ranked players throwing away their chances while serving for the set or squandering easy chances to make it when playing top opponents. They have everything working fine, except their minds. They are unsure what shot to play in important points. 
Sure but we are talking about Federer...possibly the mentally toughest player out there (And I used to think he wasn't and even wrote a post there). The thing Rotla when something goes wrong....especially physically in such a physical sport....confidence is not even a factor to consider.

Fed at times play ultra aggressive because he is stubborn at times in shot selection and doesn't want to back down in a rally.
Essentially cause he has the talent and confidence to play aggressive. If he was just stubborn he would still play S&V I am sure. He has been know to be pretty patient with players who hit harder than him.

He is not able to get the thought process correct. His shot selection is often not right and looks confused as what tactic to imply.
A physical impediment could do just that too. Essentially knowing that you cannot play and train the way you want. There is a 2009 interview of him where he says exactly that and talks how physically his performance was affected by his physique.

I guess we see it differently but it's just too easy to question the mind when clearly the sport is ridiculously physical nowadays. In the 90s yes mind was still very important....and today against 2 similar players the mind also plays a great role....but as soon as an injury flares up....mind comes last.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by raiders_of_the_lost_ark Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:12 pm

Tenez you I think are trying to call both sides of the coin. See, if Fed isn't physically fit enough to play, why is he still playing. Why did he add 4 more tournaments to his original schedule ( Basel and Brisbane still to come). Recently he said about his back problems affecting him during RG-wimbledon time, but I don't think that's alone the reason. For me its hard to read Fed's mind about his back issues, he never makes it clear when it comes to injuries. Or maybe he himself isn't sure? Or he is stubborn in that regard too, denying that a possible surgery can help. Who know?

Tennis may be a ridiculously physical sport now, more than ever, yes, but I find it hard to imagine that every single match played today is solely decided on physicality and physicality alone. Shanghai this year was made faster, the ball was bouncing lower. How did Fed the greatest player of quick indoor surface manage to lose to Monfils? And Monfils didn't even have to play sublime.

You didn't answer why a confident Fed would ever try a DHBH return in a match. Practice fine, exhibition fine, but in a semi-final?
All these years Nadal has been constantly trying to break down Fed SHBH by relentless top-spinning forehand. Fed knows a DHBH would deal with it easier, but not for once he ever tried the DHBH. Not once. Why? Because, and as I see it, the current Fed is more doubtful and lacking in confidence like never before.

Also Fed might have tried a newer racquet in his practice, but he never till now felt so low about his 90 sq-inch blade that he needed to try a new one out in 2 tournaments. He is beginning to doubt that if his old faithful is anyway good enough to get him through. But I think racquet is not the problem. How could it be when less than a year ago he won wimbledon with it and had a great 2012?

Lack of confidence brings doubts in everything.

raiders_of_the_lost_ark

Back to top Go down

Post by raiders_of_the_lost_ark Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:20 pm

Tenez wrote:

Fed at times play ultra aggressive because he is stubborn at times in shot selection and doesn't want to back down in a rally.
Essentially cause he has the talent and confidence to play aggressive. If he was just stubborn he would still play S&V I am sure. He has been know to be pretty patient with players who hit harder than him. 
How many of Fed's losses to Murray have totally been due to the fact that Fed was stubborn in his aggressive game? On many occasions I see commentators talk about that Fed stubbornness to back down could be a cause for those high number of UEs in some of his losses.

Fed is stubborn but not stupid. S&V had no future, he could clearly see that. He may have been playing patiently against players who hit hard like Tsonga/Raonic/Soderling/Berdych but he doesn't show the same patient is some of his matches against Murray/Nadal/Djokovic and at times Berdych too. He tries to attack no matter what the ball is. Isn't this a stubborn attitude? He may have the skill, yes, but this has on many ocassions been a reason for his loss.

raiders_of_the_lost_ark

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:11 pm

rotla,
Federer is not stubborn, he is just playing his game. If you are playing a doped player who can last forever, then surely, you can't afford to "be patient" and rally to death with them.

He is not a S&V player, he has a complete game and an endless bag of tricks to draw from.
He has just had a difficult year with his injury and that's all it is.

To us it looks like the end of the world because he's lost a few matches earlier than he used to, but it takes a long time to get over an injury, esp the back one which limits you an awful lot in even maintaining basic levels of fitness and we all know what ridiculous levels of fitness tennis players are having to push themselves to now.

If Fed has fixed his back, it will only be a matter of time before he starts playing well and winning.
It's that simple.
Why?
Because he is so good and he knows it.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:51 pm

Rotla what do you suggest versus guys like Djoko Nadal and Murray? Play the patient game against them? That's certainly not Fed's strength is it?

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by truffin1 Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:25 pm

Fed has lost mph on his serve, esp down the T.. really for the past few years it's been going down,down...   Even while winning Wimby last year- his go/to get out of pressure serve down the T was topping out at 116mph area... a few years ago he was cranking that up with perfect placement in the mid 120's..   His beautiful serve out wide is avg around 5-10mph lower than in his prime........  This year he changed his service motion slightly, esp arch of back, which I believe was to compensate for the back issues- whether it be permanent loss of flexibility or just scared to ask too much of the spine.......    The serve was degrading before this though....... So 1st order would be to determine why the loss of power and if its not a permanent physical thing - to correct it.

I would continue to get Fed back to the all court aussie game that he had and was trying to recapture with Annacone at times.

I would then become a whistleblower and publicly expose the dopers since as a coach I would have the true inside the lockeroom info of who's doing what-  by taking the fall and doing what Federer and other clean players are afraid too-  I would try and force the dopers to go clean or be banned- leveling the playing field so that Federer was now back to playing guys performing at their natural ability..  prob allowing Federer to be #1 into his mid 30's..   (half joking)

truffin1

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:13 pm

truffin1 wrote:
I would then become a whistleblower and publicly expose the dopers since as a coach I would have the true inside the lockeroom info of who's doing what-  by taking the fall and doing what Federer and other clean players are afraid too-  I would try and force the dopers to go clean or be banned- leveling the playing field so that Federer was now back to playing guys performing at their natural ability..  prob allowing Federer to be #1 into his mid 30's..   (half joking)
Sounds like a great plan!
I've always found it fascinating how rare whistleblowers are in everyday life.
Yes, I know we don't hear about them and many suffer without making any difference, still, if more people weren't so afraid...
I've done it so many times, it's almost become my second nature.
I may not have changed the world, but it felt great!
These days people are so not used to hearing and telling the truth it's become a frightening experience for most.
There is a nice film (Mike Leigh - Secrets and Lies) in which the main guy after breaking some really big news at a family gathering just stands in the middle of the room, spreads his arms and says: Ok, I've said it! Where's the bolt of lightning?

Doping in sport is a joke compared to what goes on everywhere, yet people go crazy at the very mention of the word dope.
I admit, it saddened me to realise the full extent of doping in tennis, it did not take long to see the obvious.

One of the main reasons why OTF is so special to me, I find it a  haven and oasis of sanity, we just say it as it is! Bubbly

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:46 pm

Some nice words from Annacone, apres le sacking Winking

GREATNESS DOESN'T STOP

"Greatness doesn't stop. It doesn't just go away. He's not all of a sudden now not that good anymore. The problem is that the expectations and the bar are so high.
Whenever you start to doubt people like this you kind of set yourself up to get your own foot stuck in your mouth. They're atypical. They're phenoms. As much as Roger still loves to play, the exuberance he still shows in every practice, his desire to continue to enjoy the game — I can't imagine anything other than success coming his way. For me, it's not a matter of if. It's a matter of when.

When we started together we had a vision of a 3-year plan to win another Grand Slam title and get back to the number #1 ranking," it said. Along with many other goals and great memories, these 2 main goals were achieved. After numerous conversations culminating at the end of our most recent training block, we felt like this was the best time and path for both of us.
After a number of very good, heartfelt and really thoughtful conversations about what's best in timing for Roger and also for me, I think we both feel good about it. I know I do."
On Luthi:
"He's with a guy that's very understated but does a great job. I think his team around him is very proficient."

"Roger is smart. He is a very objective, thoughtful person. He'll figure out what he needs."

"He's at an interesting time in his career where there is plenty of greatness left. He just has to put the pieces of the puzzle together.
I told him I'm always here to bounce ideas of off.

He's right in the mix. It's on his racket. We'll see how next couple weeks go. Indoor tennis is generally good for him so I'd be surprised if he didn't have some good results in next couple weeks.
I'm going to be really excited to watch him hold up all his subsequent trophies from here on in."

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by truffin1 Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:27 pm

noleisthebest wrote:Some nice words from Annacone, apres le sacking Winking

GREATNESS DOESN'T STOP

"Greatness doesn't stop. It doesn't just go away. He's not all of a sudden now not that good anymore. The problem is that the expectations and the bar are so high.
Whenever you start to doubt people like this you kind of set yourself up to get your own foot stuck in your mouth. They're atypical. They're phenoms. As much as Roger still loves to play, the exuberance he still shows in every practice, his desire to continue to enjoy the game — I can't imagine anything other than success coming his way. For me, it's not a matter of if. It's a matter of when.

When we started together we had a vision of a 3-year plan to win another Grand Slam title and get back to the number #1 ranking," it said. Along with many other goals and great memories, these 2 main goals were achieved. After numerous conversations culminating at the end of our most recent training block, we felt like this was the best time and path for both of us.
After a number of very good, heartfelt and really thoughtful conversations about what's best in timing for Roger and also for me, I think we both feel good about it. I know I do."
On Luthi:
"He's with a guy that's very understated but does a great job. I think his team around him is very proficient."

"Roger is smart. He is a very objective, thoughtful person. He'll figure out what he needs."

"He's at an interesting time in his career where there is plenty of greatness left. He just has to put the pieces of the puzzle together.
I told him I'm always here to bounce ideas of off.

He's right in the mix. It's on his racket. We'll see how next couple weeks go. Indoor tennis is generally good for him so I'd be surprised if he didn't have some good results in next couple weeks.
I'm going to be really excited to watch him hold up all his subsequent trophies from here on in."
Great stuff- where did you find this?

truffin1

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:30 pm

Yes it is nice to split amicably. I believe Fed has still good contacts with Lundgren and Roche despite a tougher split with the latter.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:40 pm

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by truffin1 Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:21 pm

Good stuff from Annancone..   His belief seems very genuine... which gives me renewed hope.

truffin1

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:34 pm

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by raiders_of_the_lost_ark Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:15 pm

Tenez wrote:Rotla what do you suggest versus guys like Djoko Nadal and Murray? Play the patient game against them? That's certainly not Fed's strength is it?
Does Fed play only against these 3? Has Fed only been losing to these 3? This point holds no good to our original topic of discussion which was about Fed lacking in confidence. In fact every where I read, in interviews from retired players, journalists other active players, they all say one thing that Fed currently lacking in self confidence which is a major reason for his poor 2013 results.

raiders_of_the_lost_ark

Back to top Go down

Post by raiders_of_the_lost_ark Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:17 pm

noleisthebest wrote:If Fed has fixed his back, it will only be a matter of time before he starts playing well and winning.
It's that simple.
I too hope so.

raiders_of_the_lost_ark

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:37 pm

P. Bodo (who wrote Sampras's official biography) had an interview with Annacone about the split with Federer.

A very well written and thought out piece, worth a read.

"Roger isn’t desperate, or panicking,” Annacone told me at one point. “We just finished two weeks work in Dubai, and this is just a guy who loves to play tennis. I’m standing there, sweating through two shirts without doing anything, and he’s working—laughing, kidding around, practicing with enthusiasm and still absorbing information. But that’s nothing new, either. The way he goes about things, his exuberance and relentless pursuit of excellence is like that of a 23-year-old. He never panics. Never did.”
"Roger Federer may want to do what all great players say they want, but often have a lot of trouble accomplishing: He may want to finish his career happily, feeling little stress or drama, go out owing no one, and with no one owing him. That would be very much like him, and we haven’t really seen his likes before."

http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2013/10/roger-federer-intrerview-coach-paul-annacone/49491/#.UmBI-pSYC04

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:08 am

Some very nice stuff from Annacone.  He seems like a pretty nice guy himself.

It will be hard for Federer to get back to winning ways.  He is 32, it is not easy to right the ship at his age.  Nevertheless, it is maybe still possible to do so - he is not 35-36 yet, where it becomes truly too late.

But I do not know what he needs to do.  Perhaps change the racquet - it seems like there is little risk in doing so seeing he is not getting results with the old one.  He will also need to try to keep his back in shape, which is only going to get harder with advancing age.  Even so, it is hard to see him being consistently competitive against the top three.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:31 am

Annacone wrote:his exuberance and relentless pursuit of excellence is like that of a 23-year-old. He never panics. Never did.
I think that is why Fed is in my view one of the mentally strongest player of all time. Matts Wilander was the same in a way....but Matts relied on his fitness to make the difference when you rely on extremely thin margin risky shots (talent), the mental aspect is ridiculously hard, yet he delivered more than any other player.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down