Our Tennis Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» I Just Can't Help Believing!
How or Why Novak lost the US Open 2013 EmptySat Mar 23, 2024 9:00 pm by noleisthebest

» The Bullshit of Rafael Nadal
How or Why Novak lost the US Open 2013 EmptyMon Feb 12, 2024 12:15 am by Daniel2

» Why Trump's 'tough' stance on radical Islam... could lead to more terrorism
How or Why Novak lost the US Open 2013 EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:32 am by Daniel2

» Missing Madeline 10 years on..
How or Why Novak lost the US Open 2013 EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:31 am by Daniel2

» '15 Dubious Weak Era Records'
How or Why Novak lost the US Open 2013 EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:06 am by Daniel2

» AO 2024 - Sinner baby!!
How or Why Novak lost the US Open 2013 EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:05 am by Daniel2

» Paris Masters
How or Why Novak lost the US Open 2013 EmptyMon Nov 06, 2023 9:47 pm by noleisthebest

» Alvarez could bring me back to tennis
How or Why Novak lost the US Open 2013 EmptyWed Sep 20, 2023 10:25 am by raiders_of_the_lost_ark

» IDEMOOOOOOO! ! ! !
How or Why Novak lost the US Open 2013 EmptyMon Sep 11, 2023 9:47 am by noleisthebest

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

How or Why Novak lost the US Open 2013

+2
noleisthebest
novak143
6 posters

Go down

How or Why Novak lost the US Open 2013 Empty How or Why Novak lost the US Open 2013

Post by novak143 Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:32 am

Let us recap one particular incident in the 3rd set of US Open'13.

Nadal and Novak were knotted at one set each and 4-4 in the third. Rafa had thrown his best body blows at Novak in the first set, and Novak had answered with some jaw-dropping combinations in the second. Now neither of them owned the momentum; it felt like the match was starting from square one.
Nadal’s fall, which came as he was about to line up a forehand, made the score 0-30. On the next point, Djokovic lasered one of his customary returns onto the baseline to make it 0-40. Nadal hit FH winner at 0-40. 
At the particular moment, our great Novak applauds the opponent's shot. This for me was the defining moment. I was sure Novak would lose the match from then on. We all know Novak is one of the few players who openly admires his opponent's glorious shots. Even I am fascinated by this trait of his. 
But at that moment, when he has lost an early lead in the 3rd set (he was leading 2-0 and gave up the break advantage, and got himself into a neutral position from what was a leading position just only few minutes ago). If I were him, I would be cursing myself for losing that point at 0-40, though it was an excellent shot from Nadal. But come on, how can you be so casual in such a pressure-tight situation, and especially against Nadal who has the best record of defending his serve while facing the Break points. 
For me, that was the decisive moment in the whole match. One needs to have the killer instinct to win matches and cannot tend to be lax in such crucial moments. The kind of body language it conveys to your opponent, when you applaud his shots at such stage is bizarre/abysmal to say the least. 
As a true Novak fan, I hope he maintains his seriousness in the court better in future and conveys a better picture to his opponent.

novak143

Back to top Go down

How or Why Novak lost the US Open 2013 Empty Re: How or Why Novak lost the US Open 2013

Post by noleisthebest Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:47 am

Hello Novak143, and welcome to OTF.

Before the USO final, I was sure Nole would beat Nadal and I still don't know how he managed to lose that match.
From memory (I try to forget bad things as soon as I can) he ran on an empty tank after the 3rd set, his legs which are usually his biggest weapon were not there for him.
As for clapping opponents' good shots, despite that being often cited by others as a mark of his sportsmanship, I have never liked it.
To me, it looks more like a masochistic reprimand than anything else.

He needs to start beating Nadal again asap.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

How or Why Novak lost the US Open 2013 Empty Re: How or Why Novak lost the US Open 2013

Post by novak143 Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:17 pm

Nitb,

We should not talking about after 3rd set. Ideally, he should have won the 3rd set and once he is 2-1 sets up in the match, naturally the momentum would have helped him.

This US Open along with USO '12 haunts me very badly, the way he has managed to lose from a seemingly advantageous position at a point of time.

In that match he lost a very long first set in a tie break (10-12) and then loses 2nd set 5-7 after leading the set with a break. Wins next 2 sets easily 6-2, 6-3. And in the final set Murray cashes on his tiredness and cleverly moves him side to side until Nole tires and gives up the match. That was a very painful loss to fathom too!

novak143

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:58 pm

The turning point was 30-40 Nadal serving an ace at 4-4.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:11 pm

Did you get to see Nole-Querrey match, N143?

The weather was too good here to miss the opportunity to go and play and by the time I got back, the match had already finished.
Another one under an hour and apparently excellent serving from Nole.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:52 pm

Hi new Novak...welcome to this forum and hope you do not get discouraged by my response. smiley 

I think you are wrong. Between Nadal and Djoko the outcome is not really down to a brilliant point there and then. In fact the one winning the point might be the one losing the next ones and the game.

From memory......cause it was a while ago....Djoko lost the momentum after winning an amazing long rally which gave him teh game (and set?). Djoko gave so much in that point that he got physically and mentally tired. Nadal was also getting really tired but Djoko's mistake was to refuse to engage in further longer rallies and started to go for winners to shorten rallies after that gruelling point.....that allowed nadal to recover his breath in turn (he looked like cramping until then...and fell as you noticed). Djoko needed just a few more longer rallies....not many but 3 or 4 and that would have killed Nadal...instead he went for winners which actually turned out to be UEs...It was his refusal to engage in long rallies and make the mistakes everybody does v Nadal (trying to shorten rallies) that cost him the set and match.

Look at USO 2011...there Djoko was dead in teh 4th set with a back problem even but he had played enough of long rallies to have killed Nadal even more. SO even with an injured back, Djoko strolled to an easy 4th set and win.

I am afraid it has nothing to do with Djoko applauding or not his opponents shots. It's about lungs and legs and who is prepared to sustain more pain than the other. Nadal was out in that 3rd set...but a succession of short points from Djoko gave him a second breath.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:14 pm

From memory......cause it was a while ago....Djoko lost the momentum after winning an amazing long rally which gave him teh game (and set?).
No I don't think so.
The long rally was mid-second set, after that he won the second set and went a break up in the third... we really can't attribute the whole match to that rally.

he looked like cramping until then...and fell as you noticed
You make it seem as if he fell because he was cramping... please ! He slipped over the line while backtracking, totally different to how you portray it.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by novak143 Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:31 am

noleisthebest wrote:Did you get to see Nole-Querrey match, N143?

I watched the match from second set onwards. In one service game, Nole served 3 aces consecutively to win it in 37 seconds! He seems to be in good nick. Hope he carries that form to finals to beat Nadal.

novak143

Back to top Go down

Post by novak143 Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:07 am

Tenez, 

You may be right about lungs and legs part, and also the stamina theory. That is the physical part of tennis. But what I am talking about is the mental part of the game. 

Let me narrate my experience. I, being, a tennis player my self, know how mind plays such an important part in a match. There were instances when I came back from 1-5 down in a set and won it 7-5. Similarily, just yesterday I came back from 0-5, held 4 match points at 6-5 and lost it in Tiebreak.

The point I was trying to make is that, at 0-40 in that match with Nadal, Nole needed all the concentration to get back into the game, and he could not have frittered it away, by the silly applaud.

novak143

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:33 am

Nole has struggled with focus this year like he hasn't for a long time.
I don't know why.
Maybe it's pressure, maybe the fact he can't control his passion, but from the few matches I saw him live this year, the key thing he has missed big time is confidence, and that RG SF loss to Nadal was a turning point in the negative direction.
Confidence is the main weapon in Nole's game as it pieces his shots together, without it, he looks quite weaponless and is only able to win matches where the length of his ballstriking and fitness are enough. It is sad to watch him play like that.
Against this year's Nadal, he was too relaxed and let Nadal get away with wins, but then again, that's the story of Nadal's success, isn't it....
Seeing a super-juiced and bouncy Nadal across the net, must make even the steeliest of resolve melt a  bit at certain times, esp after that brutal 6 hour long match in AO12.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:40 am

It's ok atleast he'll beat Nadal in Beijing, that's nearly as important as the USO if you think about it.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by luvsports! Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:42 am

I think perhaps being no2 will give him fresh motivation and focus to regain that no1. It willl be very tough to get it for a while, he has to have a great end to the season tostay in touch.

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:45 am

Having said all the above, Nadal taking number one from him may take the pressure off Novak and rekindle the hunger in him.
Beating him tomorrow may be the beginning of his return.
Also, potential winning of Davis Cup in November could be huge like it was in 2010 prior to that crazy and unforgettable 2011.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:48 am

Julia Santamaria wrote:It's ok atleast he'll beat Nadal in Beijing, that's nearly as important as the USO if you think about it.
Worried already, are we? Whistle 

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:20 pm

WOrried?

No not really, we already know the result.

Nadal rarely does well in chamber pot tournaments, plus Djokovic has not been beaten in Beijing since 2008 or something ridiculous.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueClay Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:04 am

noleisthebest wrote:Nole has struggled with focus this year like he hasn't for a long time.
I don't know why.
Maybe it's pressure, maybe the fact he can't control his passion, but from the few matches I saw him live this year, the key thing he has missed big time is confidence, and that RG SF loss to Nadal was a turning point in the negative direction.
Confidence is the main weapon in Nole's game as it pieces his shots together, without it, he looks quite weaponless and is only able to win matches where the length of his ballstriking and fitness are enough. It is sad to watch him play like that.
Against this year's Nadal, he was too relaxed and let Nadal get away with wins, but then again, that's the story of Nadal's success, isn't it....
Seeing a super-juiced and bouncy Nadal across the net, must make even the steeliest of resolve melt a  bit at certain times, esp after that brutal 6 hour long match in AO12.
You must be kidding. Novak has always had these bouts with lack of focus. The only time he was outstanding in the focus area was in 2011. Before and after 2011 his focus has been on and off. Nadal is much better in that area than Djokovic is. Also, only in your dreams did Djokovic lose all those matches against Nadal because Djokovic "let Nadal get away with wins."  Nadal made adjustments and became more aggressive taking the ball earlier in order to beat Djokovic again. Djokovic will need to make his own adjustments now in order to beat this Nadal again. Nadal is not going to give anything away, Djokovic will have to earn it. Mabye Nadal will throw Djokovic a bone tomorrow and let him win in China since he has now taken the number one away from Djokovic. Hee, hee.

BlueClay

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum