Our Tennis Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» I Just Can't Help Believing!
Masters - ATP Masters 1000: Cincinnati EmptySat Mar 23, 2024 9:00 pm by noleisthebest

» The Bullshit of Rafael Nadal
Masters - ATP Masters 1000: Cincinnati EmptyMon Feb 12, 2024 12:15 am by Daniel2

» Why Trump's 'tough' stance on radical Islam... could lead to more terrorism
Masters - ATP Masters 1000: Cincinnati EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:32 am by Daniel2

» Missing Madeline 10 years on..
Masters - ATP Masters 1000: Cincinnati EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:31 am by Daniel2

» '15 Dubious Weak Era Records'
Masters - ATP Masters 1000: Cincinnati EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:06 am by Daniel2

» AO 2024 - Sinner baby!!
Masters - ATP Masters 1000: Cincinnati EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:05 am by Daniel2

» Paris Masters
Masters - ATP Masters 1000: Cincinnati EmptyMon Nov 06, 2023 9:47 pm by noleisthebest

» Alvarez could bring me back to tennis
Masters - ATP Masters 1000: Cincinnati EmptyWed Sep 20, 2023 10:25 am by raiders_of_the_lost_ark

» IDEMOOOOOOO! ! ! !
Masters - ATP Masters 1000: Cincinnati EmptyMon Sep 11, 2023 9:47 am by noleisthebest

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

ATP Masters 1000: Cincinnati

+5
truffin1
Tenez
raiders_of_the_lost_ark
N2D2L
noleisthebest
9 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Masters - ATP Masters 1000: Cincinnati Empty ATP Masters 1000: Cincinnati

Post by noleisthebest Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:17 pm

ATP MASTERS 1000 CINCINNATI, hard

The Cincinnati tournament has come a long way from its humble roots, first played at the Avondale Athletic Club more than a century ago, to the grand-scale ATP World Tour Masters 1000 event held at the Lindner Family Tennis Center today. Nine of the past 10 Western & Southern Open champions held the No. 1 ranking during their careers. The Western & Southern Open is part of the Emirates Airline US Open Series.

Players: So far, full house, incl. the defending champion

Draw: 

http://www.atpworldtour.com/posting/2013/422/mds.pdf

Order of Play:

http://www.atpworldtour.com/posting/2013/422/op.pdf

Masters - ATP Masters 1000: Cincinnati WSO+logo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xF2eh_LoHZo

Last edited by raiders_of_the_lost_ark on Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:43 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Corrected Typo in Title)

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Masters - ATP Masters 1000: Cincinnati Empty Re: ATP Masters 1000: Cincinnati

Post by N2D2L Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:31 am

News coming in about the draw, apparently:
Nadal in Murray's half, and Federer's quarter. Murray could play Gulbis in R2. Nadal faces a qualifier in R2, and Almagro, Dimitrov, Baker or Istomin after that. Djokovic has a cakewalk to the final.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:34 am

Thanks, Amri.
I'll add the link tomorrow.
Gulbis Murray again would be brilliant!

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:40 am

Prospective QFs:

Federer vs Nadal (I'd love that- and Cincy is probably Fed's favourite court these days- so he would have a real chance against his rival)
Murray vs Berdych (if Murray and Berdych both get there... interesting match. Berdych leads the H2H, but you'd give the edge to Murray)
Djokovic vs Gasquet (give his great showing today, I really fancy Gasquet's chances!!)
Del Potro vs Ferrer (Del P would be favourite... but will his back mend in time for Cincy?)

Gulbis has to beat Youzhny to meet Murray in R2... tough for him.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:23 pm

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by raiders_of_the_lost_ark Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:39 am

noleisthebest wrote:Good news!
Federer is playing in Cincinnatti

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2013/08/32/Cincinnati-Federer-Report.aspx
 From the interview it looks like he is back to playing with the old racquet. 

"Federer said that it wasn’t the best timing to test a prototype while suffering from a back injury, although he believes that it’s been a beneficial experience. " 

Still I keep not much hopes of him winning Cincy this year.

raiders_of_the_lost_ark

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:56 am

We have some new developments at the top, Nadal now at number 3:

1 Djokovic, Novak (SRB) 11,400 0 18
2 Murray, Andy (GBR) 8,610 0 18
3 Nadal, Rafael (ESP) 7,860 1 19
4 Ferrer, David (ESP) 7,130 -1 24
5 Federer, Roger (SUI) 5,515 0 21
6 Berdych, Tomas (CZE) 4,865 0 24
7 Del Potro, Juan Martin (ARG) 4,740 0 23
8 Tsonga, Jo-Wilfried (FRA) 3,470 0 24
9 Wawrinka, Stanislas (SUI) 2,925 1 23
10 Raonic, Milos (CAN) 2,645 3 24
11 Gasquet, Richard (FRA) 2,625 -2 23
12 Nishikori, Kei (JPN) 2,485 -1 21
13 Haas, Tommy (GER) 2,140 -1 27
14 Janowicz, Jerzy (POL) 2,119 4 22
15 Almagro, Nicolas (ESP) 2,100 -1 24
16 Fognini, Fabio (ITA) 2,050 0 28
17 Simon, Gilles (FRA) 2,030 0 25
18 Cilic, Marin (CRO) 1,985 -3 21
19 Anderson, Kevin (RSA) 1,740 2 25
20 Tipsarevic, Janko (SRB) 1,650 -1 27

Top 50 look really interesting

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:01 am

raiders_of_the_lost_ark wrote:

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2013/08/32/Cincinnati-Federer-Report.aspx

"Federer said that it wasn’t the best timing to test a prototype while suffering from a back injury, although he believes that it’s been a beneficial experience. " 

Is that 100%?
I thought he'd stick with the new racquet for a bit longer....strange...

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:36 am

According to the picture on the ATP site he is playing with the new racquet on those blue courts! So clearly he is sticking to it for now.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:41 am

Tenez is correct, Federer is playing still with his new racket.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by raiders_of_the_lost_ark Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:58 pm

I think Fed's back injury is still going to hamper him. They won't go away so easily and so quickly at 32. I wish they did, but I'm not very hopeful on this.

Fed may fall down even further after Cincy. Berdy is only defending 90 points here and Fed will have Nadal to face in QF. Berdych is good to reach QF unless he spills it off. So both reaching QF, Fed will fall to #6 for sure.

If Delpo reaches semis here, Fed and Berdy QF, the Fed is #7 by next week.

raiders_of_the_lost_ark

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:15 pm

Well I guess now for Fed it is all about GSs and will do his best to stay in the top 8 to avoid too hard draws.....but indeed his back is his main problem and I dont think it is sorted at all.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by truffin1 Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:53 pm

noleisthebest wrote:
raiders_of_the_lost_ark wrote:

Is that 100%?
I thought he'd stick with the new racquet for a bit longer....strange...
I read the whole interview and he gave a pretty confusing answer to the one question about the racquet, but then the next follow up he confirmed he was continuing with the new racquet.  HOWEVER, just as I'm writing this and went to his website forum to copy the interview for you guys-  there are pictures of his practice session today and everyone is pretty confused as he looks to be playing with his old racquet!  Or the new one has been painted exactly like his old one!   There are better pictures but the only ones I could get a working link to are below.. 

From my eyes- it looks like the old ProStaff...   Hard to believe he would switch back a day before his match and 2 weeks before the Open.  If so, it just shows you how his confidence is shot and he's second guessing himself.   Normaly I would be so excited to ee him play Nadal on the fast Cincy court-- but I'm dreading it if this is the state Fed is in.

http://instagram.com/p/c6xCOTRNSS/#

Here is his interview though- there is some really good info on his problems, his mind,etc.

How would you sum up the last month?

RF: Yeah, not great, to be honest. I was ready to get over the Wimbledon loss as quick as I could, which I did. I took a short break and then started practicing extremely hard and things were great. I tested racquets and was ready to go to Hamburg and Gstaad and really play tournaments I really enjoy playing, but I couldn’t enjoy them in the end because I just had too many problems with my back and my body. I still ended up playing because it came gradually through the tournament at Hamburg. Midway through and all the way until Gstaad basically…I still was playing OK. It wasn’t like I couldn’t play at all. So that was the frustrating part, that I couldn’t actually play proper tennis, get into the right routines, play the right shots at the right time, because you start compromising a bit. So for me it was a disappointing last sort of two weeks there, which clearly I lost some time. But I was very motivated to come to come to Hamburg and Gstaad right after Wimbledon, so that was another sort of setback I had to get over as well. And then pulling out of Montreal wasn’t something I really wanted to do but it then gave me more time to work hard and come here really well-prepared. That sort of tougher moments I had to get over – the Wimbledon loss and then at Hamburg and Gstaad, just really not feeling well in moments. But now I’m fit again and I’m mentally motivated, which is very important at this part of the year right now.

Where are you racquet-wise here – are you going back to your old racquet or are you sticking with the bigger one?

RF: Yeah, that was like pushed aside in a way. I was just practicing all the time with the prototype I had. I played also Hamburg and Gstaad with it but because of the issues I had, I couldn’t even really focus on how was I feeling the ball. I was just trying to get through the matches, really. So, yeah, we’ll so how it goes. But so far I am happy with the racquet.

So you are using the bigger one?

RF: I am, yeah.

Not sure about media around the rest of the world but we’ve tried to retire you for three years. At age 32, what is the hardest part of this job as you’ve gotten older and what is the biggest motivator to stay in it?

RF: Well, the motivation is the passion, clearly. Because I think if the passion doesn’t overweigh all the rest, the end is extremely near. As nice as the travel is and playing matches and practicing and all these things, I think if the passion is not there, it just becomes so much harder and then you might be doing it for the wrong reasons. For me, there’s no question about that – that my passion is sky-high and that’s why I’m still doing it. I love what I’m doing and I feel very fortunate that I do have this opportunity day-in, day-out to do it. But clearly I’ve played a lot of matches. I’ve played for a very long time. I feel like I just have to do more in terms of getting ready today than I ever have. When I was younger, a teenager for instance, I would jump up and down for two minutes and then go, ‘OK, here we go.’ For a five-set match today, it would take a half an hour. It’s no problem but that can also really sort of wear you out eventually to do all these little things next to it, just to be actually somewhat ready. It’s like a car. You sort of need to warm it up. And for me, that’s a bit of a change but it sort of happens gradually, to be honest. I haven’t quite felt this huge effect of the new generation coming through yet but I have felt that the game has changed, so you can see that two ways. Is that fun that it changed or is it actually somewhat of a letdown that it has changed so much that it’s all baseline game now? So I just have to adjust to those new conditions over the years now because when I was coming up things were quite different still. But I see it more also as a positive, an opportunity for me to improve again as a player and adapt. That’s what you have got to keep on doing – you have to keep on improving and enjoy what you’re doing and then I think you’re on the right track really.

After Gstaad, did you take off some time immediately to let your back heal or is it a treatment issue?

RF: I got right into it the day after, really. I had a meeting that night, what I was going to do, because thankfully my back didn’t get worse throughout the match in Gstaad. What was it, one hour, just a serving contest with (Daniel) Brands? It wasn’t physically taxing but still, there might have been maybe a slight risk of getting it back to worse or maybe making it the way it was in Hamburg. So I didn’t do the extra time there. What I did was basically I just started to work in my back a lot and on my strength training. I just did that for many days in a row until I felt good enough to go on the tennis court. Basically I started working out on the following day already.

Is there one thing you’re focusing on now?

RF: Getting my game back together, really, and my body. So far so good. I’m motivated. I’m feeling better and I am entering Cincinnati with a good mind set. That’s, right now, it’s key. Now if I could win more matches, that would be good because I did win a title here, and that makes me think I can do something great here. As every other event, you always struggle in the first round.

You’ve won this tournament five times. It’s a tournament you circle on your calendar and is there anything about it that sets it apart from other Masters 1000 tournaments?

RF: Yeah, I mean I think every tournament around the world, maybe 250, 500, 1000 or Grand Slam – it doesn’t matter – has its own sort of feel for it. This one has a great history. I think it’s over 100, 125 years old, so you feel that this tournament has been around for a long time. Some players or some people might say, ‘Oof, it’s not got the big city next to it right away. You don’t see the skyline right as you look away from Center Court and stuff.’ But it doesn’t matter. I think what you find here is you find great fans, people who really enjoy this tournament. A lot of it is the volunteers and people who work here. I think they really wait for this tournament to come around. And clearly for us, we can leave and you sort of forget you played here because you look forward to let’s say New York or so forth. But I’ve always enjoyed playing here. I think that also shows in the matches and in the games I’ve been able to play successful. I like a quiet week like this to be quite honest. I used to like doing more crazy when I was younger. Everything had to be fun and non-stop all the time doing something but I also like it when it’s a bit slower. Here I can take more time for fans and practice and friends. You name it, whoever comes along. I always enjoy my time here in Cincinnati.

Is there any specific about this event – the surface or the balls or weather – that has allowed you to win five times?

RF: I’m not sure. Maybe it’s also the timing of the calendar. Who knows, maybe it gives me enough time to really feel comfortable on the hard courts again. I know it’s a very important week. I’ve also played equally great the weeks sort of before Paris – the Hamburg week, the Madrid week now. I usually always play very well there. OK, now it’s switched with Rome. But for some reason always a couple of weeks before Slams, I usually play well. No doubt that also the surface, I like it a bit faster maybe, even though most my success is on the slower hard courts because that’s just the way things are today. But I really like Center Court…I like the day and night sessions here. I don’t mind the heat anymore. I used to struggle in the heat when I was younger and really worked hard to get used to humidity and heat. And for me that’s no problem, so maybe that’s an advantage for me today as well. I’m happy in the surroundings here. I think it helps as well to be in a good mind set.

truffin1

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:22 pm

Hi Truffin - I really want to thank you for keeping posting here. Your posts on Federer are always excellent and very informative.

I must say your passion of the player is a nodge above any fan I met or read.

I would not be surprised they painted the racquet as the old one as he doesn't seem sure he is going to use it long term. I think his contractual duties must also weight heavily on his shoulders and that probably takes some "passion" away from the game. The $$millions invested, resting on his liking of the racquet and the winning and losing pressure which of course will have huge repercussion on racquet sales must be so tough to handle.

....and I guess this is why he talks of "passion" again as that must be key indeed in his motivation to cary on.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by truffin1 Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:49 pm

Thank you Tenez.  I appreciate this forum and certainly recognized quickly in you someone who understands what's  real and isn't in the sport.   

I think you are correct on the racquet. Some closeups I am now seeing seem to have the slightly wider and longer throat of the new racquet..
One other thing to note about the practice sessions-  Mirka has actualy been on court with him-- fans who literly follow him to tournies around the world say she hasn't made practice appearances in years...  She's talking to him in depth during breaks,etc...   All this tells me Federer is really searching for his game right now. and looking for support from everyone.  I have no doubt Federer with the body right and his intact passion, can still accomplish greatness on the court.  I just hope he finds the health he needs to play freely soon!

truffin1

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:47 pm

truffin1 wrote:  I have no doubt Federer with the body right and his intact passion, can still accomplish greatness on the court.  I just hope he finds the health he needs to play freely soon!
 Same here actually. But the sport is so demanding on the body nowadays than any little niggle is enough to kill any hope of winning a slam. This is why he complains again in this above interview about the way the sport changed. Well he doesn;t complain openly but that's what I read between the lines.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:20 pm

To me it was not even between the lines, esp the jibe at " baseline" tennis...privately, he must be screaming on the inside having to compete and adjust to this hybrid new game which is having very little to do with tennis as it was originally meant to be played.

Thanks Truffin for the updates and insights from Fedland, that one about Mirka is quite telling.
I have felt all this year the lack of confidence in his play, it is so essential for his game, it was coming and going in waves throughout a lot of his matches and it was quite sad to witness.
He needs those wins badly now, not for winning itself but just to regain that wind in his sails.
I hope his back does not trouble him in Cincy.
He should get to the QF and then the superfit Nadal will probably await.
The crowd could make a big difference.
I look forward to seeing him play, hopefully tomorrow?

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:22 am

Just saw that Blake beat JJ last night, really happy for him, must have been a good match!

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by truffin1 Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:26 pm

noleisthebest wrote:Just saw that Blake beat JJ last night, really happy for him,  must have been a good match!
 He and fed have been practicing.. maybe it will pay off for both of them!

Fed plays tonight at 8:30 US Eastern time!

truffin1

Back to top Go down

Post by truffin1 Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:34 pm

Well, on closer inspection  from the reports of some fans at Cinci it looks like it was the old racquet he practiced with..   Close look at the String pattern,  and also he was using 4 power pads on the grommet of the new racquet--  now it's back to his normal 3.......    Some other stuff seems to be conclusive that Federer practiced with the old racquet.  I even saw a crazy superimposed picture of his Wimby racquet put onto the new racquet and the one from practice and it matches up perfectly with the old racquet...

We'll see what he brings out tonight, but to me- this shows indecision and lack of confidence... not a good sign IMO.

truffin1

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:39 pm

truffin1 wrote:
We'll see what he brings out tonight, but to me- this shows indecision and lack of confidence... not a good sign IMO.
 I think the indecision and lack of confidence might also be down to its contractual aspect. They simply cannot afford to launch a new racquet with further unexpected losses like in Hamburg and Gstaad. Its further testing might be delayed until after the USO.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by truffin1 Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:59 pm

Tenez wrote:
truffin1 wrote:
 I think the indecision and lack of confidence might also be down to its contractual aspect. They simply cannot afford to launch a new racquet with further unexpected losses like in Hamburg and Gstaad. Its further testing might be delayed until after the USO.
 Can he transition back and forth between racquets so quickly though without it hurting his game?

truffin1

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:17 pm

Tenez wrote:
truffin1 wrote:
That's what I thought, as well.

If he was able to play so well with the old racquet last year, why would he want to change anything all of a sudden?
His problem came from his backache and the limitations it imposed, not the size of his racquet.

The game did not change overnight to baseline, he was coping very well with all the players until this year.

Could it be that Wilson have tried to put pressure on him to play with a more commercial racquet?

Who among the mortals wants to buy and play with his smaller/heavy racquet ( except my crazy friend, a mad Federer fan who has a DBH!!!)
Didn't Fed say he has been approached many times and tried many different versions....so now that he appears to be nearing the end of his career, maybe the sponsors are trying to milk it with all their might and pushing the new racquet agenda and Fed just caved in and played those two small clay tournies after Wimbledon just to get them off his back.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:30 pm

Harrison giving Ferrer a hard time. I hope he does well too in the near future.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:38 pm

noleisthebest wrote:
The game did not change overnight to baseline, he was coping very well with all the players until this year.

Could it be that Wilson have tried to put pressure on him to play with a more commercial racquet?

Who among the mortals wants to buy and play with his smaller/heavy racquet ( except my crazy friend, a mad Federer fan who has a DBH!!!)
Didn't Fed say he has been approached many times and tried many different versions....so now that he appears to be nearing the end of his career, maybe the sponsors are trying to milk it with all their might and pushing the new racquet agenda and Fed just caved in and played those two small clay tournies after Wimbledon just to get them off his back.
I really, really, don't think so NITB.
I think it was a move to try and better his career, not sell some more merchandise for Wilson.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:39 pm

Tenez wrote:Harrison giving Ferrer a hard time. I hope he does well too in the near future.
Ferrer played awfully, and he still lost, he doesn't really look like a world class player.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:40 pm

Harrison is also one of those young players ( like Raonic) who abandoned the attacking tennis and started doing the fit baseline rallying style.
Somehow, it brought Raonic top ten ranking which he certainly does not deserve, he got 800 points almost as a gift on a plate with the way draw opened for him in Montreal.
I haven't seen Harrison play for a long time ( since Nole trounced him I think in AO), for me, his movement is average and it will always be his week point esp in today's tennis.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:53 pm

Julia Santamaria wrote:
I really, really, don't think so NITB.
I think it was a move to try and better his career, not sell some more merchandise for Wilson.
He will have killed two birds with one stone: made Wilson happy as well as satisfied his curiosity and saw how the racquet "behaved" in match situations despite the back issue in Hamburg.
A tricky, fragile and complex scenario to be in from many angles, a lot of things now up in the air waiting to click in.
I so hope they do.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:46 am

Just saw the last game of the first set in which Sock won it against Raonic with some nice, no-nonsense, straightforward tennis.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:02 am

I can't believe Federer-Kohlschreiber match still hasn't started, I really can't stand WTA ruining scheduling Angry

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:32 am

So it was a straight ser win..did anyone see it?

Is it the old or thr new racquet?

Todays OOP looks very good and thank God No,e is not playing the late match, but Nadal!
Could Becker blow him off the court?

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:33 am

Here is the answer:
After trying out a larger racquet in Hamburg and Gstaad, Federer returned to one with a 90 square-inch head and said he'd be playing with it through the US Open.

"I'm going to do more racquet testing when I have, again, some more time after the US Open," he said. "I was playing for a month with the black one, but it's a prototype. At the end, I just felt like, you know what, right now I feel like I need to simplify everything and just play with what I know best."

I saw the MP....mouvement not good at all.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:37 am

Thanks, T.
It does make sense in many ways he's playing with the old racquet, too much on the line, every tiny shade of confidence needed, and memories of matches played with the new racquet could not have given him very much of it.

So it's Granollers or Haas next....

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:04 am

But his shots look so fragile now with this old racquet.

He keeps saying his mind and physique is ok but I am not sure he is. According to stats he coudl have done an easier job...wasting 9 of 11 BPs.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:09 am

That's a shame.
I still hope that by some miracle things will start to get better.
It will be difficult for him in Cincy/USO, but  maybe afterwards...

It sounds unreal to even talk like this about Federer, definitely new territory!

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:35 am

Just saw this clip, interesting that Kohlschreiber was serving being 4:2 up in the second set, and Federer came back.

A win is a win! Big Grin 

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9SvdAsi9vOc

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by raiders_of_the_lost_ark Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:13 am

noleisthebest wrote:So it was a straight ser win..did anyone see it?

Is it the old or thr new racquet?

Todays OOP looks  very good and thank God  No,e is not playing the late match, but Nadal!
Could Becker blow him off the court?
 Very unlikely, if he did its going to be big surprise like Rosol and Darcis. Nadal has a massive will to win and that alone separates him from most of the players. I don't like his style of tennis nor his on court behaviour or him in general. But his will power and desire to win is 2nd to none. He has completely freed himself from the 7 straight losses that he suffered against Djokovic. In fact he is going to the the favourite in the next few meetings. Big!!

Doped or not 12 slams and 24 TMS, and all the other records, the player has to be special. 

{Not joining Nadal camp}

raiders_of_the_lost_ark

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:32 am

I am not sure Nadal wants to go all the way to Cincy. Didn't we read first that he was not going to play there?

rotla wrote:Doped or not 12 slams and 24 TMS, and all the other records, the player has to be special.

To me Doping is everything, especially considering how physical his game is and how poor his performance is when he is not 100%.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by truffin1 Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:23 pm

Tenez wrote:Here is the answer:
After trying out a larger racquet in Hamburg and Gstaad, Federer returned to one with a 90 square-inch head and said he'd be playing with it through the US Open.

"I'm going to do more racquet testing when I have, again, some more time after the US Open," he said. "I was playing for a month with the black one, but it's a prototype. At the end, I just felt like, you know what, right now I feel like I need to simplify everything and just play with what I know best."

I saw the MP....mouvement not good at all.
Fed was avg at best throughout the match...  As you mentioned, the shots just have no oomph with the old racquet or current Fed form- however you want to look at it.   His movement at times to the forehand side was better and he seems to have better range of movement on his serve and bending for return.. The passive returning on breakpoints though-- I just don't get it.

As usual, Fed puts on a positive brave face, but his confidence is shaken clearly... the greats aren't immune to it.   the racquet thing- he can say what he wants- but it was a sudden change back due to frustration and indecision.   His fans there at the tourney and practice have pretty much laid out everything that happened. We know just a few days ago in his 1st tourney presser he gave a half hearted answer about how the new racquet was going, but then directly said he was going to continue to play with the new racquet.. 2 days later he is practicing with the old racquet and playing the match with it, and saying he's using the old racquet through  the US Open. What happened in between is he had a practice with James Blake that fans say started out as a massive shank fest on Fed's part.. Fed was frustrated, lots of huddles with the team including his wife.. then his personal stringer came on the scene and lots of discussion with him. Clearly Federer was very frustrated with his timing and blaming the racquet or stringing. They said he improved as the practice went on and was actually playing well towards the end.....  As he left, the stringer went with him with serious discussions taking place.

Next day- he shows up for practice with the old racquet and the new experiment is history for now..........clearly a decision born in frustration and lack of confidence in how he was playing..  Maybe it's the right decision as I always thought a new racquet was going to pay dividends in 2014 vs US Open an all 2013., but we'll see..

truffin1

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:23 pm

If anything I am surprised it did not stick to the new racquet as I thought he would adapt quickly...as talented people usually easily do. Well maybe it is not the right one but a larger frame and slightly lighter racquet is certainly what he needs. If the ball he was handling was the same as 2000 then I'd say no need to change racquet but the ball he is asked to handle nowadays is much bouncier and spinner, I am surprised it took him so long to consider a larger frame and I can only assume this is because he was still very competitive and immensely talented.

If you look at it no SHBH has reached a final in many years bar Federer and those despite all having a larger frame than he has. A larger racquet has a bigger sweet spot and increase consistency and power....its as simple as that. The downside is the loss of control.....but again with his talent he would have limited that loss and the power and consistency gained would have made him a tougher opponent.

The thing is with a smaller frame the control can be lost due to the small sweet spot (there is a big difference in pace and length between a ball hit cleanly and slightly off center) so the loss of control woudl not have been that significante....only on serve where finding the sweetspot is much easier.

I know some will ask how can you lose some control while increasing power and  consistency as the same time? The answer is simple...it's called added spin....what everybody has been doing lately inclusing Federer....except that Federer has been doing it with a wooden racquet...almost!

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:26 pm

Just saw the last few games of Youzhny Murray, what a sacrilege DBH is....
Got me thinking how the top 20 would look like if DBH was banned.

Does anyone know/ remember if there was a lot of fuss when the first DBH was introduced?
Did anyone complain?
I just don't understand how they fot away with it...

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:29 pm

Tenez wrote:If anything I am surprised it did not stick to the new racquet as I thought he would adapt quickly...as talented people usually easily do. Well maybe it is not the right one but a larger frame and slightly lighter racquet is certainly what he needs. If the ball he was handling was the same as 2000 then I'd say no need to change racquet but the ball he is asked to handle nowadays is much bouncier and spinner, I am surprised it took him so long to consider a larger frame and I can only assume this is because he was still very competitive and immensely talented.

If you look at it no SHBH has reached a final in many years bar Federer and those despite all having a larger frame than he has. A larger racquet has a bigger sweet spot and increase consistency and power....its as simple as that. The downside is the loss of control.....but again with his talent he would have limited that loss and the power and consistency gained would have made him a tougher opponent.

The thing is with a smaller frame the control can be lost due to the small sweet spot (there is a big difference in pace and length between a ball hit cleanly and slightly off center) so the loss of control woudl not have been that significante....only on serve where finding the sweetspot is much easier.

I know some will ask how can you lose some control while increasing power and  consistency as the same time? The answer is simple...it's called added spin....what everybody has been doing lately inclusing Federer....except that Federer has been doing it with a wooden racquet...almost!
What I find surprising that according to fans in Truffins's post, Fed's practice session with the new racquet was a shankfest...shouldn't the bigger sweet spot reduce shanking?

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:03 pm

quite a nice match between Delpo and Davydenko. Davydenko is still very nice to watch....still a bit erratic but he probably could come back in the top 10 if not better.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:06 pm

Will take a look, I am annoyed Davy beat Paire in the previous round, though Sad

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:07 pm

Tenez wrote:quite a nice match between Delpo and Davydenko. Davydenko is still very nice to watch....still a bit erratic but he probably could come back in the top 10 if not better.
I don't think so, his career is on the decline apart from occasional good results.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:22 pm

Yes very nice match and played in great spirit, too.
I am amazed at how Del Potro is able to engage with Davy AND win those fast baseline exchanges, impressive!
Shame Davy is forever glued to that baseline, he would be magical if he stepped in a bit (would need to learn to volley first)

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:36 pm

But Davy is one of those rare players who can do magic from the baseline. He just makes stupid mistakes and wrong shot selection. Essentially due to lack of confidence. He is not far off...Typically he should have won that 1st set but will lost it.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:42 pm

And lose he did that 1st set....but a great set it was, just a nice contrast between the guile and power, although that extra drop-shot cost him the set and maybe match, you could see how much he enjoyed moving big Delpo forward, he just could not help himself smiley

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:51 pm

Interesting stat:

FH winners
Davydenko  14
Delpotro      5

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:53 pm

Davydenko reminds me Federer. He makes all the game, looks great but nowadays it's simply useless. It's not the 40 great shots you play that win a match it's the 41 UEs you make that gives the win to your opponent.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next