Our Tennis Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» I Just Can't Help Believing!
nadal - Match of The Year, Roland Garros 2013 (Semi)-Final: Djokovic - Nadal Prediction Thread EmptySat Mar 23, 2024 9:00 pm by noleisthebest

» The Bullshit of Rafael Nadal
nadal - Match of The Year, Roland Garros 2013 (Semi)-Final: Djokovic - Nadal Prediction Thread EmptyMon Feb 12, 2024 12:15 am by Daniel2

» Why Trump's 'tough' stance on radical Islam... could lead to more terrorism
nadal - Match of The Year, Roland Garros 2013 (Semi)-Final: Djokovic - Nadal Prediction Thread EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:32 am by Daniel2

» Missing Madeline 10 years on..
nadal - Match of The Year, Roland Garros 2013 (Semi)-Final: Djokovic - Nadal Prediction Thread EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:31 am by Daniel2

» '15 Dubious Weak Era Records'
nadal - Match of The Year, Roland Garros 2013 (Semi)-Final: Djokovic - Nadal Prediction Thread EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:06 am by Daniel2

» AO 2024 - Sinner baby!!
nadal - Match of The Year, Roland Garros 2013 (Semi)-Final: Djokovic - Nadal Prediction Thread EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:05 am by Daniel2

» Paris Masters
nadal - Match of The Year, Roland Garros 2013 (Semi)-Final: Djokovic - Nadal Prediction Thread EmptyMon Nov 06, 2023 9:47 pm by noleisthebest

» Alvarez could bring me back to tennis
nadal - Match of The Year, Roland Garros 2013 (Semi)-Final: Djokovic - Nadal Prediction Thread EmptyWed Sep 20, 2023 10:25 am by raiders_of_the_lost_ark

» IDEMOOOOOOO! ! ! !
nadal - Match of The Year, Roland Garros 2013 (Semi)-Final: Djokovic - Nadal Prediction Thread EmptyMon Sep 11, 2023 9:47 am by noleisthebest

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

Match of The Year, Roland Garros 2013 (Semi)-Final: Djokovic - Nadal Prediction Thread

+9
truffin1
BlueClay
raiders_of_the_lost_ark
summerblues
Tenez
sphairistike
paulcz
gallery play
noleisthebest
13 posters

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

nadal - Match of The Year, Roland Garros 2013 (Semi)-Final: Djokovic - Nadal Prediction Thread Empty Match of The Year, Roland Garros 2013 (Semi)-Final: Djokovic - Nadal Prediction Thread

Post by noleisthebest Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:21 pm

Just thought we could kill some time before Friday in a friendly banter on this hot topic Winking

A final before the final at the moment, the scene is set, Chatrier in 20 sunny degrees on Friday.

Here's a bit of music as an appropriate background:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4IRMYuE1hI

GO NOLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nadal - Match of The Year, Roland Garros 2013 (Semi)-Final: Djokovic - Nadal Prediction Thread 690487-novak-djokovic

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

nadal - Match of The Year, Roland Garros 2013 (Semi)-Final: Djokovic - Nadal Prediction Thread Empty Re: Match of The Year, Roland Garros 2013 (Semi)-Final: Djokovic - Nadal Prediction Thread

Post by gallery play Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:35 pm

It's close but if i had to put money on it i would pick Nadal. Not much money though

gallery play

Back to top Go down

nadal - Match of The Year, Roland Garros 2013 (Semi)-Final: Djokovic - Nadal Prediction Thread Empty Re: Match of The Year, Roland Garros 2013 (Semi)-Final: Djokovic - Nadal Prediction Thread

Post by noleisthebest Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:38 pm

gallery play wrote:It's close but if i had to put money on it i would pick Nadal. Not much money though

how much?

I've never betted in my life, but suddenly have the urge, will spend it all on Pimms in Wimbledon if I win diva

Last edited by noleisthebest on Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:40 pm; edited 2 times in total

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by gallery play Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:39 pm

10 pounds at most

gallery play

Back to top Go down

Post by paulcz Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:47 pm

I am definitely for Nole. Only thing he needs to keep himself in a demolishing mode for Nadal. The sooner the better.

paulcz

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:56 pm

This is what Nadal said before his match with Nishikori:

“What I need to do is play in a more relaxed way. I need to improve my timing. I need to work also on the direction of my shots, the way I hit the ball, but really I'm missing calm. I need to improve my movements. I don’t think that I move the right way. I stumble a lot, and that's probably due to anxiety. I mean, we shouldn't delude ourselves. If I can calm down I will play better; otherwise I can go back to Mallorca and go fishing. I mean, that will be the last option.”

Interesting, isn't it?
I don't know if I am reading it correctly, but to me this "calm" equates "confidence".

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:59 pm

Despite his coach's death, I think Nole has got the "calm" and an enormous desire to win this RG for her.
I hope her faith that carried Nole during his young years becomes the wind in his sails on Friday. Rose

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by paulcz Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:08 pm

noleisthebest wrote:Despite his coach's death, I think Nole has got the "calm" and an enormous desire to win this RG for her.
I hope her faith that carried Nole during his young years becomes the wind in his sails on Friday. nadal - Match of The Year, Roland Garros 2013 (Semi)-Final: Djokovic - Nadal Prediction Thread 2084913611

I feel that Nole will be sharper as a razor and we know that he has confidence and the game to finish off with this clown nadal - Match of The Year, Roland Garros 2013 (Semi)-Final: Djokovic - Nadal Prediction Thread 151447854 as only player nadal - Match of The Year, Roland Garros 2013 (Semi)-Final: Djokovic - Nadal Prediction Thread 83870220

paulcz

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:46 pm

I just saw this good-looking list Cool

djokovic leads nadal 9-3 in their last 12 meetings
djokovic leads nadal 4-3 on clay since 2011
djokovic hasn't lost to nadal on a surface outside of clay since 2010 and on clay since 2012
djokovic leads nadal in outdoor hard court matches 9-3.
djokovic has 2 world tour finals wins compared to nadal’s 0
djokovic has longer consecutive grand slam finals, semifinals, and quarterfinals streaks than nadal
djokovic has more grand slam match wins on a hard court (and is younger than nadal)
djokovic has reached the semis of all grand slams in one year twice as compared to nadal only doing it once
djokovic has won 8/9 masters 1000 tournaments while nadal has only won 6/9
djokovic has beaten nadal in 4/4 grand slams and 8/9 masters while nadal has only beaten novak in 3/4 grand slams and 4/9 masters
djokovic will pass nadal for weeks at no.1 later this year

djokovic has finished consecutive seasons as no.1 whereas nadal has not
djokovic will most likely finish as the year end no.1 this year and will have more year end no.1 finishes than nadal
djokovic is only 4 slams behind nadal

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by paulcz Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:55 pm

noleisthebest wrote:I just saw this good-looking list nadal - Match of The Year, Roland Garros 2013 (Semi)-Final: Djokovic - Nadal Prediction Thread 4006036031

djokovic hasn't lost to nadal on a surface outside of clay since 2010 and on clay since 2012
djokovic has longer consecutive grand slam finals, semifinals, and quarterfinals streaks than nadal
djokovic has more grand slam match wins on a hard court (and is younger than nadal)
djokovic has reached the semis of all grand slams in one year twice as compared to nadal only doing it once
djokovic has beaten nadal in 4/4 grand slams and 8/9 masters while nadal has only beaten novak in 3/4 grand slams and 4/9 masters

djokovic will most likely finish as the year end no.1 this year and will have more year end no.1 finishes than nadal

To summarize it, Nole nadal - Match of The Year, Roland Garros 2013 (Semi)-Final: Djokovic - Nadal Prediction Thread 364988687nadal - Match of The Year, Roland Garros 2013 (Semi)-Final: Djokovic - Nadal Prediction Thread 4052418255nadal - Match of The Year, Roland Garros 2013 (Semi)-Final: Djokovic - Nadal Prediction Thread 3692841837nadal - Match of The Year, Roland Garros 2013 (Semi)-Final: Djokovic - Nadal Prediction Thread 151447854 and Nadal nadal - Match of The Year, Roland Garros 2013 (Semi)-Final: Djokovic - Nadal Prediction Thread 3391208243nadal - Match of The Year, Roland Garros 2013 (Semi)-Final: Djokovic - Nadal Prediction Thread 2786941968nadal - Match of The Year, Roland Garros 2013 (Semi)-Final: Djokovic - Nadal Prediction Thread 563610107nadal - Match of The Year, Roland Garros 2013 (Semi)-Final: Djokovic - Nadal Prediction Thread 2474333020

paulcz

Back to top Go down

Post by sphairistike Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:29 pm

noleisthebest wrote:I just saw this good-looking list Cool

Not sure about your last point... You are surely assuming Nole already won this French Open then! Doh

sphairistike

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:48 pm

sphairistike wrote:
noleisthebest wrote:I just saw this good-looking list Cool

Not sure about your last point... You are surely assuming Nole already won this French Open then! Doh

Well, Sphair, I don't know when rotla is going to add up points for our prediction thread, but I've had a few very good days....so getting carried away, maybe Blush

Joking aside, it's not my list, I just saw it somewhere and thought it would look good in this thread, have I ever looked the type to bother with numbers and stats....mind you , I just did a bit of stat talk on the other thread.
Tennis is turning me into a monster!!! Yikes

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:20 pm

I don;t know how fit is Djoko but if he can run as much as in the past, I'd say Djoko has 95% chance of winning...if not 100%. It's not a question of how much better is Djoko, it;s a question of how much energy can Djoko suck out of Nadal and we know Djoko can suck the life out of Nadal. Even if Nadal leads 2 sets to love, my money would be on Djoko....if Djoko is fit enough that is.

It's mathematical...like it was that Federer was gonna lose v Nadal on clay.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by sphairistike Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:30 pm

Tenez wrote:I don;t know how fit is Djoko but if he can run as much as in the past, I'd say Djoko has 95% chance of winning...if not 100%. It's not a question of how much better is Djoko, it;s a question of how much energy can Djoko suck out of Nadal and we know Djoko can suck the life out of Nadal. Even if Nadal leads 2 sets to love, my money would be on Djoko....if Djoko is fit enough that is.

It's mathematical...like it was that Federer was gonna lose v Nadal on clay.

A bit of rain on Friday morning would do some good to skew the probability of Nole winning up. But only in the morning, to give Nole some edge at the start, not some rain during the match to disrupt, unless a bit of drizzle. What does the weather forecast say? Some rain only tomorrow but Friday sunny? Hopefully not that accurate. Good Luck

sphairistike

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:01 pm

Not sure....It's very sunny here in London and difficult to imagine that the weather is better than in Paris.

Djoko was pretty poor last year...I doubt he will be that bad this year.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:04 pm

I just saw teh score in that 3rd set between Djoko and Haas. 75!!! Pretty close. Worrying for Djoko I must say. It took a bit of my confidence away about that semi....I must say.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:14 am

I go with Nole in four sets.

This match is hard for Rafa to win. I am tempted to take a day off work (like I did the last couple of years) to watch the SFs but I am going on a vacation in a week's time so not sure I will be able to take an extra day this week. In any event, I do not like either player's game too much, so no biggie if I miss the match, but I would be quite interested to see if it unfolds the way I am imagining it will.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:21 am

summerblues wrote:I go with Nole in four sets.

This match is hard for Rafa to win. I am tempted to take a day off work (like I did the last couple of years) to watch the SFs but I am going on a vacation in a week's time so not sure I will be able to take an extra day this week. In any event, I do not like either player's game too much, so no biggie if I miss the match, but I would be quite interested to see if it unfolds the way I am imagining it will.

I certainly would not sacrify a vacation day for such match. Drama should be good....tennis nadal - Match of The Year, Roland Garros 2013 (Semi)-Final: Djokovic - Nadal Prediction Thread 2998105013

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:28 am

Nole said (to a Serbian newspaper) he was going to beat Nadal in straight sets tomorrow, so I'm going with the man himself: Nole in three diva diva diva

You've got to love that boldness, nothing's changed from that post RG post match interview all the way back in 2006 when he said Nadal was beatable on clay. Earnest Gulbis, take a note of that! Bubbly

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:36 am

After a long time, P. Bodo of tennis.com has woken up to his good writing days again, he is in Paris for the tournament and reporting on Nole's and Nadal's press conferences came up with this:

"Neither man likes to delve too deeply (or, at the very least, too publicly) into the psychological conflicts that underlie this rivalry; each of them likes to play it cool. For what it’s worth, though, Djokovic won the battle of the press room. He looked relaxed and comfortable as he fielded questions, sparred playfully with a few of his interlocutors, and said of the pending clash:
“I look forward to it. You know, it’s not the first time I’m playing him. We played over 30 times. I’m sure that we know each other’s game really well. . .This is it, you know. This is the biggest matchup of our Roland Garros 2013 campaign for both me and him. I guess it’s the small details and few points that can decide a winner, and that’s why I need to be very disciplined and focused in order to get emotionally, physically, and mentally ready for that match.”
Djokovic praised Nadal’s “love of the sport” and told us how Rafa’s unyielding nature is an impressive virtue that inspires his respect. He also fired a shot across Nadal’s bow when he declared that he’ll take some confidence into Chatrier when the time comes, a residual benefit from his impressive, straight-sets (6-1, 7-6 [1]) win over Nadal a few weeks ago in Monte Carlo.
That is something that can maybe give me that mental edge when I step onto the court,” Djokovic suggested. “That knowing I already won against him on clay this season, knowing I can do it, even though not many players in last ten years have won against him on this surface, and he’s been the most dominant player in the history of this sport on this surface.”
By contrast, Nadal looked twitchy as a jackrabbit in coyote country when he came to visit with us. Before you Djokovic fans start punching the air, keep in mind that Nadal tends toward the jumpy at the best of times. But you know with this guy that when his brow is furrowed and his left eyebrow leaps up to form a crescent above his eye, he’s busy trying to work something out in the back of his mind. And that eyebrow was raised for almost the entire interview. His words came out at intervals, as if he were shutting a faucet on and off, and that familiar, pained smile constantly flickered across his elastic features.
Nadal made an effort to disabuse us of the notion that we are about to witness Armageddon: The Sequel, come Friday. He reminded us: “It is not the finals; it’s the semifinals. That’s the difference at the end. You are not playing a match for a title. You are just playing a match to be in the final. So is a big difference. Sometimes it’s a little bit strange, but that’s how my mentality sometimes works.”
As for Monte Carlo, Nadal had had a salvo of his own to fire. “Every match is different history,” he reminded us. “We’re going to play here in Roland Garros; we’re not in Monte Carlo. This court, and the feeling to play this court, is always a little bit different, I will say.”
But Nadal added a disclaimer that softened his warning: “I know he’s going to play well too because he’s the best today, and I hope to play well here.”
That sounded no more convincing to me here in Paris than it does to you at home. Sometimes, it must be hard for these guys to take the high road that has become the route of choice in this collegial era.
But don’t let Nadal’s equivocation fool you. After all, as the seven-time French Open champion he’s entitled to feel a little jittery; nothing this great lasts forever, although on the evidence the juggernaut hasn’t slowed yet. That was clear in Nadal’s match with Wawrinka, which represented a significantly better performance than he delivered in his previous matches. Wawrinka played well, he even threatened a few times. But Nadal slammed the door shut. So if Djokovic won the battle of the press room, Nadal had a slight edge in the war on clay.
“I made the improvement against Nishikori (in the previous round), and today I made another important improve. In my opinion always I played at a very good level (today). To win against a player like Wawrinka is impossible with this score if you don’t played at a very good level.
So take your pick: The guy treading water, externally calm and confident, or the fella who’ll go to sleep tonight feeling he’s peaking, that all the pieces are falling into place once again at the place where he’s solved the most complex of those athletic jig-saw puzzles. It may not be Armageddon, The Sequel, but it doesn’t feel much like just another semifinal, either."

I particularly liked the war of words on the Monte Carlo theme.

http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2013/06/armageddon-sequel/47814/#.UbBJD3DRfzI

Last edited by noleisthebest on Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:47 am; edited 1 time in total

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:44 am

Tenez wrote:
summerblues wrote:I go with Nole in four sets.

I certainly would not sacrify a vacation day for such match. Drama should be good....tennis nadal - Match of The Year, Roland Garros 2013 (Semi)-Final: Djokovic - Nadal Prediction Thread 2998105013

Don't listen to Tenez, SB, take the day off, it will be worth it Winking

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:10 am

noleisthebest wrote:Nole said (to a Serbian newspaper) he was going to beat Nadal in straight sets tomorrow, so I'm going with the man himself: Nole in three nadal - Match of The Year, Roland Garros 2013 (Semi)-Final: Djokovic - Nadal Prediction Thread 3559488474 nadal - Match of The Year, Roland Garros 2013 (Semi)-Final: Djokovic - Nadal Prediction Thread 3559488474 nadal - Match of The Year, Roland Garros 2013 (Semi)-Final: Djokovic - Nadal Prediction Thread 3559488474

You've got to love that boldness, nothing's changed from that post RG post match interview all the way back in 2006 when he said Nadal was beatable on clay. Earnest Gulbis, take a note of that! nadal - Match of The Year, Roland Garros 2013 (Semi)-Final: Djokovic - Nadal Prediction Thread 83870220

Those kind of confidence make me nervous. I agree he should....but why this added pressure? It has come back to haunt many players before him to come up with those bold statements.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:40 am

It's simple. If they apply time limit up to 30s (cause let's face it they'll never apply the rule once again), Djoko has almost a guaranteed win, especially if Nadal get a time warning, which usually tends to speed him up.

If not then it's a bit more open.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by raiders_of_the_lost_ark Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:59 am

For a sec I thought this is about Match of the Year in terms of spectacle. If that was the case Gasquet vs Wawrinka was magical.

This one has much higher stakes instead. So I'll go with Djokovic. He looks confident and very hungry to win RG.

raiders_of_the_lost_ark

Back to top Go down

Post by raiders_of_the_lost_ark Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:00 am

noleisthebest wrote:

Well, Sphair, I don't know when rotla is going to add up points for our prediction thread, but I've had a few very good days....so getting carried away, maybe Blush

Very soon dear, very soon.

raiders_of_the_lost_ark

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:28 am

Tenez wrote:
noleisthebest wrote:Nole said (to a Serbian newspaper) he was going to beat Nadal in straight sets tomorrow, so I'm going with the man himself: Nole in three nadal - Match of The Year, Roland Garros 2013 (Semi)-Final: Djokovic - Nadal Prediction Thread 3559488474 nadal - Match of The Year, Roland Garros 2013 (Semi)-Final: Djokovic - Nadal Prediction Thread 3559488474 nadal - Match of The Year, Roland Garros 2013 (Semi)-Final: Djokovic - Nadal Prediction Thread 3559488474

You've got to love that boldness, nothing's changed from that post RG post match interview all the way back in 2006 when he said Nadal was beatable on clay. Earnest Gulbis, take a note of that! nadal - Match of The Year, Roland Garros 2013 (Semi)-Final: Djokovic - Nadal Prediction Thread 83870220

Those kind of confidence make me nervous. I agree he should....but why this added pressure? It has come back to haunt many players before him to come up with those bold statements.

Yes, but he is not you.
To me it's the same type of boldness when he said Nadal was not unbeatable back in 2006, it's not despair, it's confidence. That's Nole in a nutshell. Not Nadal and his "I try my best, no?"

Adds to the spice of the pre-match hype no end!

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:29 am

raiders_of_the_lost_ark wrote:
noleisthebest wrote:

Very soon dear, very soon.

Thanks rotla....I have no idea where I am in "the tournament" and who I'm playing against in the semis Winking

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:39 am

noleisthebest wrote:
Yes, but he is not you.
To me it's the same type of boldness when he said Nadal was not unbeatable back in 2006, it's not despair, it's confidence. That's Nole in a nutshell. Not Nadal and his "I try my best, no?"

Adds to the spice of the pre-match hype no end!

Yes and he got beaten by Nadal the following 5 years!

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:41 am

He turned the tables, though!

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:45 am

Yes but I woudl not want to see him turn the tables in the FO in 2018!

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:47 am

Tenez wrote:Yes but I woudl not want to see him turn the tables in the FO in 2018!

You can't stand him, so it's a win-win one for you anyway.... Whistle

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:51 am

Can't stand him is really a big word. I don't think he has great shots, he is not very stylish but I don;t mind him much. He probably woudl not make my top 10 worse list. Nadal winning is no win/win for me, that's for sure.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:53 am

Tenez wrote:Can't stand him is really a big word. I don't think he has great shots, he is not very stylish but I don;t mind him much. He probably woudl not make my top 10 worse list. Nadal winning is no win/win for me, that's for sure.

Why not, you think they both play gutless retrieving tennis and are dopers.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:33 pm

I woudl not say Djoko plays gutless. He tries to play his game....but often he is stuck on equal terms with opponents despite retrieving much better than them.....so when comes the crush time he does what works.....throw in the long and safe rallies. If I had to hate all those who take supplements in sport I woudl not like many athletes. Djoko clearly belongs to the Nadal/Murray camp....but he is the one I dislike least of the 3.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:36 pm

Nadal: "In these kind of matches, if you don't take opportunities you're in big trouble, because the opponent is probably going to take his opportunities," said the Spaniard.

"And I think I played a great second set in Monte Carlo. The only negative thing in Monte Carlo was I didn't win the set. The rest of the things was positive for me."

Does he realise that the reason he was ahead in that 2nd set is that Djoko tried to be expeditive and rushed it? Have they analysed that 2nd set TB and seen what we all saw which is that Djoko played the patient game and Nadal went for too much? If Nadal wants to shorten rallies in a best of 3....it does not bode well in a best of 5!

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:39 pm

Do people know about that very interesting stat?

How many 5 setters has Nadal won against Federer and Djoko?

V Federer it's 2 all (I believe)

v Djoko 1 all if we consider the fact the the 1 from Nadal came actually thanks to a 2 day match...otherwise most likely a 2/0.

So imo it confirms that the longer the match teh more chance Djoko has.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:03 pm

Tenez wrote: So imo it confirms that the longer the match teh more chance Djoko has.
Sadly, only a few players have been able to test Nadal's forehand duracel battery time-length.
From what I can remember (against Nole and Ferrer this year), it lasts about two sets max against Nole, Nadal usually starts like a man possessed on it, and I think Nole has worked that one out a while ago, so he drains him efficiently with the BH, I'd say using less than 30% of energy Nadal expends on with his "attacking" FH.
I love listening how the intensity of his FH grunts goes quieter as it comes back to him over 3-5 times until he goes quiet, then you know you've got him on the ropes.
Then, the umpire should make sure time between the serves is watched and applied rigorously.
Easy formula.

Murray's battery lasts only a set, but he is not solely dependent on the FH strategy, so more energy efficient, but not by much if faced by a fresh opponent.

Nole is helped greatly by his lighter weight and good serving when it's on which enables him dictating court position, unlike Ferrer who has to do a lot more running to make up for the easy serving points.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:28 pm

Having said all the above, I'll add that it saddens me that a SF slam pre-match analysis has descended into this kind of talk and vocabulary: how long a player can last, energy efficiency etc...

I genuinely hope not for much longer. Umpires applying 20 sec between the points rule rigorously would help a lot towards it.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:35 pm

noleisthebest wrote:Having said all the above, I'll add that it saddens me that a SF slam pre-match analysis has descended into this kind of talk and vocabulary: how long a player can last, energy efficiency etc....

In a way yes....but it's also good to have that kind of tennis every now and then. We had in the 20s with the French mousqueteers, we had it in teh 70s/80s with Borg, Wilander and then with Hewitt, now with Nadal, Djoko Murray....but in the background some are preparing to take over and when they will have developed the tennis to shake them off....it will be fun again.

It;s been a long cycle all the time if we look at it.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:39 pm

Tenez wrote:
noleisthebest wrote:Having said all the above, I'll add that it saddens me that a SF slam pre-match analysis has descended into this kind of talk and vocabulary: how long a player can last, energy efficiency etc....

In a way yes....but it's also good to have that kind of tennis every now and then. We had in the 20s with the French mousqueteers, we had it in teh 70s/80s with Borg, Wilander and then with Hewitt, now with Nadal, Djoko Murray....but in the background some are preparing to take over and when they will have developed the tennis to shake them off....it will be fun again.

It;s been a long cycle all the time if we look at it.

Yes, but it has peaked in such an ugly and vulgar way with Nadal it makes everyone else look like a joke, esp with all that surrounded his "calendar slam" winning and how much he was pushed and helped for years.
I can't imagine it going much worse....

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:48 pm

Order of play out for tomorrow:

Philippe Chatrier, 12.00 PM

Novak Djokovic (SRB) [1]vs.Rafael Nadal (ESP) [3]
&
David Ferrer (ESP) [4]vs.Jo-Wilfried Tsonga (FRA) [6]

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by sphairistike Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:32 pm

noleisthebest wrote:Order of play out for tomorrow:

Philippe Chatrier, 12.00 PM

Novak Djokovic (SRB) [1]vs.Rafael Nadal (ESP) [3]
&
David Ferrer (ESP) [4]vs.Jo-Wilfried Tsonga (FRA) [6]

Picks (hope I'm half wrong, half right, respectively):

Rafael Nadal (ESP) [3] and Jo-Wilfried Tsonga (FRA) [6]

sphairistike

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:10 pm

Djoko and Tsonga for me.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueClay Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:57 pm

Djokovic vs Nadal is a tough call but I think Nadal should still win it at the end of the day.

Ferrer vs Tsonga, unfortunately I think Ferrer will win.

BlueClay

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:51 pm

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:28 pm

This time tomorrow, the agony will be ALL over....

In the meantime, players shake it for Nole surfer

http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/multimedia/2013-06-06/013f19d0b27800000d5c.html?promo=hp_videos

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by paulcz Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:40 pm

Does anybody know what the wind should be tomorrow in Paris? Are here any Parisians?

paulcz

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:28 pm

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by paulcz Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:35 pm

I am curious how far behind the BL will Nadal start on return. He stood good 5,5 metres behind the BL in Monte Carlo. The Centre court in RG allows him to add a couple of good metres. He must be lucky to have them for his good feeling on the return nadal - Match of The Year, Roland Garros 2013 (Semi)-Final: Djokovic - Nadal Prediction Thread 4006036031
I would try to serve a underhand as a drop shot from the serve, Nadal could not catch the ball for sure if the execution was right. Like Chang did to Lendl.

paulcz

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:51 pm

paulcz wrote:Does anybody know what the wind should be tomorrow in Paris? Are here any Parisians?
I'm not a Parisian, but I heard Hurricane Nole is to strike at noon tomorrow Cool

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next