Search
 
 

Display results as :
 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What now for Roger?
ATP 1000: Madrid  - Page 9 EmptyToday at 3:02 am by summerblues

» Slam chase
ATP 1000: Madrid  - Page 9 EmptyTue Jul 16, 2019 12:46 pm by barrystar

» Wimbledon Day 13, Sunday 14th July
ATP 1000: Madrid  - Page 9 EmptyTue Jul 16, 2019 7:03 am by raiders_of_the_lost_ark

» Generation Worthless
ATP 1000: Madrid  - Page 9 EmptyMon Jul 15, 2019 3:09 pm by naxroy

» Wimbledon seeding is disrespectful, says Rafael Nadal
ATP 1000: Madrid  - Page 9 EmptyMon Jul 15, 2019 1:15 pm by barrystar

» Women final
ATP 1000: Madrid  - Page 9 EmptySat Jul 13, 2019 4:54 pm by bogbrush

» Wimbledon Day 11, Friday 12th July
ATP 1000: Madrid  - Page 9 EmptySat Jul 13, 2019 12:10 pm by paulcz

» Wimbledon Day 9, Wednesday 10th July
ATP 1000: Madrid  - Page 9 EmptyThu Jul 11, 2019 9:21 pm by Tenez

» Wimbledon Day 10, Thursday 11th July
ATP 1000: Madrid  - Page 9 EmptyThu Jul 11, 2019 4:19 pm by Jahu

July 2019
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031    

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum


ATP 1000: Madrid

Page 9 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

ATP 1000: Madrid  - Page 9 Empty Re: ATP 1000: Madrid

Post by Tenez on Sat May 11, 2013 7:40 pm

Strange but as much as I woudl like Stan to win....I actually feel that Berds woudl have a better chance tomorrow v Nadal. He has already beaten him in Madrid and Nadal can fear this firepower.

Tenez

Posts : 20191
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

ATP 1000: Madrid  - Page 9 Empty Re: ATP 1000: Madrid

Post by noleisthebest on Sat May 11, 2013 7:41 pm

Silly Stan, not putting away that FH inside out, but sending it meekly right on Berd's racquet, Doh

Wake up Stan!!!

noleisthebest

Posts : 27759
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

ATP 1000: Madrid  - Page 9 Empty Re: ATP 1000: Madrid

Post by paulcz on Sat May 11, 2013 7:44 pm

Tenez wrote:Strange but as much as I woudl like Stan to win....I actually feel that Berds woudl have a better chance tomorrow v Nadal. He has already beaten him in Madrid and Nadal can fear this firepower.
Absolutely right, Stan would stand a lower chance than Berd with Nadal, although there is no big difference

paulcz

Posts : 1772
Join date : 2012-07-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

ATP 1000: Madrid  - Page 9 Empty Re: ATP 1000: Madrid

Post by noleisthebest on Sat May 11, 2013 7:46 pm

I don't know why but every time I see Leconte I get cheered up for some reason!

noleisthebest

Posts : 27759
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

ATP 1000: Madrid  - Page 9 Empty Re: ATP 1000: Madrid

Post by noleisthebest on Sat May 11, 2013 7:59 pm

Stan breaks back, the match hotting up nicely, shame it's not the final Sad

noleisthebest

Posts : 27759
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

ATP 1000: Madrid  - Page 9 Empty Re: ATP 1000: Madrid

Post by noleisthebest on Sat May 11, 2013 8:01 pm

Before this match I had a premonition that this was going to go to 3 sets, Berd winning in the tie-break.
I wonder if that's going to happen actually Yikes

noleisthebest

Posts : 27759
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

ATP 1000: Madrid  - Page 9 Empty Re: ATP 1000: Madrid

Post by Tenez on Sat May 11, 2013 8:02 pm

It's so bizarre with Stan. He has periods where he is completely subdued, passive and then suddenly he wakes up and it is really tough to stop.

Tenez

Posts : 20191
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

ATP 1000: Madrid  - Page 9 Empty Re: ATP 1000: Madrid

Post by paulcz on Sat May 11, 2013 8:03 pm

Berd too passive, looks a bit choked. Stan wants it more, goes more for it. The better one will win it.


Last edited by paulcz on Sat May 11, 2013 8:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

paulcz

Posts : 1772
Join date : 2012-07-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

ATP 1000: Madrid  - Page 9 Empty Re: ATP 1000: Madrid

Post by Tenez on Sat May 11, 2013 8:06 pm

noleisthebest wrote:Before this match I had a premonition that this was going to go to 3 sets, Berd winning in the tie-break.
I wonder if that's going to happen actually ATP 1000: Madrid  - Page 9 563610107

Bad premonition. Winking

Tenez

Posts : 20191
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

ATP 1000: Madrid  - Page 9 Empty Re: ATP 1000: Madrid

Post by noleisthebest on Sat May 11, 2013 8:07 pm

Berd looks stunned, he can't believe what's happened, amazing how it all turned around in that point when Stan was 15:30 down on Berd's serve, then just played with confidence, probably out of despair and won the next point, let out his trademark roar and never looked back!

noleisthebest

Posts : 27759
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

ATP 1000: Madrid  - Page 9 Empty Re: ATP 1000: Madrid

Post by noleisthebest on Sat May 11, 2013 8:10 pm

Stan looks so happy in the interview, says it was windy which explains a lot. I hope the wind goes away tomorrow!

I think I want him to beat Nadal and win tomorrow more than he does himself diva

I don't like that he is not being cocky when the interview asks him about the final....please don't choke tomorrow Stan, PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE!!!!!

noleisthebest

Posts : 27759
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

ATP 1000: Madrid  - Page 9 Empty Re: ATP 1000: Madrid

Post by paulcz on Sat May 11, 2013 8:10 pm

noleisthebest wrote:Berd looks stunned, he can't believe what's happened, amazing how it all turned around in that point when Stan was 15:30 down on Berd's serve, then just played with confidence, probably out of despair and won the next point, let out his trademark roar and never looked back!
Berd lost the match, which should be his. Stan was better at the end and that is it. The last ball is decisive.

paulcz

Posts : 1772
Join date : 2012-07-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

ATP 1000: Madrid  - Page 9 Empty Re: ATP 1000: Madrid

Post by noleisthebest on Sat May 11, 2013 8:12 pm

I still think Berd would've had better chance against Nadal tomorrow. Stan needs to be super aggressive if he wants to have that trophy lifted and not bitten Cool

noleisthebest

Posts : 27759
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

ATP 1000: Madrid  - Page 9 Empty Re: ATP 1000: Madrid

Post by paulcz on Sat May 11, 2013 8:14 pm

noleisthebest wrote:Stan looks so happy in the interview, says it was windy which explains a lot. I hope the wind goes away tomorrow!

I think I want him to beat Nadal and win tomorrow more than he does himself ATP 1000: Madrid  - Page 9 3559488474

I don't like that he is not being cocky when the interview asks him about the final....please don't choke tomorrow Stan, PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE!!!!!
The good thing is that he does not have anything to lose, so let's hope for Stan and what is more he should move into TOP10, that is very good for him ATP 1000: Madrid  - Page 9 151447854

paulcz

Posts : 1772
Join date : 2012-07-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

ATP 1000: Madrid  - Page 9 Empty Re: ATP 1000: Madrid

Post by gallery play on Sat May 11, 2013 8:14 pm

yes! yes! yes!

I watched the match until Berd broke in the third. Berd was at that point controlling the match so i'm surprised how it ended.

Very happy for Stan. The guy plays sensational at times. If only he had a better defense from the FH wing, or a better FH under pressure

gallery play

Posts : 2620
Join date : 2012-09-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

ATP 1000: Madrid  - Page 9 Empty Re: ATP 1000: Madrid

Post by paulcz on Sat May 11, 2013 8:18 pm

noleisthebest wrote:I still think Berd would've had better chance against Nadal tomorrow. Stan needs to be super aggressive if he wants to have that trophy lifted and not bitten ATP 1000: Madrid  - Page 9 4006036031

Stan plays nice when he can dictate the game and can hit winners from backhands side. Nadal's FH moonballs are nothing easy for his style. But Stan's SHBH is really good and nice ATP 1000: Madrid  - Page 9 3157886161

paulcz

Posts : 1772
Join date : 2012-07-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

ATP 1000: Madrid  - Page 9 Empty Re: ATP 1000: Madrid

Post by Tenez on Sat May 11, 2013 8:19 pm

yes STan is able to produce the better tennis but again he seems so subdued at times like he is somewhere else.

Tenez

Posts : 20191
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

ATP 1000: Madrid  - Page 9 Empty Re: ATP 1000: Madrid

Post by gallery play on Sat May 11, 2013 8:26 pm

noleisthebest wrote:I still think Berd would've had better chance against Nadal tomorrow. Stan needs to be super aggressive if he wants to have that trophy lifted and not bitten ATP 1000: Madrid  - Page 9 4006036031

Maybe, although i think this is one of those typical tournaments where too much is going Nadal's way: the easy draw, the schedule, the slugfests on the top half ,the audience. It's like it's inevitable he'll win.

gallery play

Posts : 2620
Join date : 2012-09-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

ATP 1000: Madrid  - Page 9 Empty Re: ATP 1000: Madrid

Post by gallery play on Sat May 11, 2013 8:27 pm

Tenez wrote:yes STan is able to produce the better tennis but again he seems so subdued at times like he is somewhere else.

It's a swiss thing ATP 1000: Madrid  - Page 9 1071211947

gallery play

Posts : 2620
Join date : 2012-09-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

ATP 1000: Madrid  - Page 9 Empty Re: ATP 1000: Madrid

Post by noleisthebest on Sat May 11, 2013 8:36 pm

gallery play wrote:
noleisthebest wrote:I still think Berd would've had better chance against Nadal tomorrow. Stan needs to be super aggressive if he wants to have that trophy lifted and not bitten ATP 1000: Madrid  - Page 9 4006036031

Maybe, although i think this is one of those typical tournaments where too much is going Nadal's way: the easy draw, the schedule, the slugfests on the top half ,the audience. It's like it's inevitable he'll win.

Yes...but what's killing me is that he is playing around 7/10 and still managing to win, I hate the fact players don't stand up to him more. Ferrer did a great job yesterday, I hope Stan finally summons some proper guts tomorrow and goes for it from the word go.
I know it's a lot to ask for, but it's hard to cheer for someone who's got so much tennis in their body and then just hides it all away in some little drawer at the back of their brain and believes so little
There is a lot to be said for belief.
Dimi's got it galore.
Stand needs to have a double G&T before he steps on that court tomorrow Winking

noleisthebest

Posts : 27759
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

ATP 1000: Madrid  - Page 9 Empty Re: ATP 1000: Madrid

Post by noleisthebest on Sat May 11, 2013 8:39 pm

Stan, just in case you can hear this:

GO FOR IT TOMORROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! tennisball

noleisthebest

Posts : 27759
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

ATP 1000: Madrid  - Page 9 Empty Re: ATP 1000: Madrid

Post by summerblues on Sat May 11, 2013 8:44 pm

Obviously, Stan massive underdog tomorrow, but I think he has a bit of a chance. He is perhaps playing tennis of his life right now. He will have the usual SHBH problem tomorrow but I think his BH can handle those high balls a little bit better than Fed's. One annoying thing is that Stan has now played what like three back-to-back 3-setters? At times in that third set he was looking like he was starting to run out of gas.

I was actually initially hoping to see Andy make the final. My theory is that - with the exception of Nole - Andy would be able to trouble Rafa more than anyone else - even with his lack of clay court pedigree. Now I will have to wait for another opportunity to have this theory tested.

summerblues

Posts : 4706
Join date : 2012-05-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

ATP 1000: Madrid  - Page 9 Empty Re: ATP 1000: Madrid

Post by noleisthebest on Sat May 11, 2013 8:47 pm

I actually think Murray has peaked and will soon begin to get frustrated as the pressure will remain the same but the results will start to dry up.

noleisthebest

Posts : 27759
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

ATP 1000: Madrid  - Page 9 Empty Re: ATP 1000: Madrid

Post by summerblues on Sat May 11, 2013 8:48 pm

noleisthebest wrote:Stand needs to....
Wow, that is funny. It feels like every other time I type Stan's name I end up with "Stand" and then I have to go correct myself. Looks like I am not alone.

summerblues

Posts : 4706
Join date : 2012-05-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

ATP 1000: Madrid  - Page 9 Empty Re: ATP 1000: Madrid

Post by summerblues on Sat May 11, 2013 8:50 pm

noleisthebest wrote:I actually think Murray has peaked and will soon begin to get frustrated as the pressure will remain the same but the results will start to dry up.
There is some chance of that I think, but you also tend to always expect bad things happening to his career. For all we know, he may continue doing fine for the next 2-3 years.

summerblues

Posts : 4706
Join date : 2012-05-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

ATP 1000: Madrid  - Page 9 Empty Re: ATP 1000: Madrid

Post by gallery play on Sat May 11, 2013 8:50 pm

noleisthebest wrote:
gallery play wrote:
noleisthebest wrote:I still think Berd would've had better chance against Nadal tomorrow. Stan needs to be super aggressive if he wants to have that trophy lifted and not bitten ATP 1000: Madrid  - Page 9 4006036031

Maybe, although i think this is one of those typical tournaments where too much is going Nadal's way: the easy draw, the schedule, the slugfests on the top half ,the audience. It's like it's inevitable he'll win.

Yes...but what's killing me is that he is playing around 7/10 and still managing to win, I hate the fact players don't stand up to him more. Ferrer did a great job yesterday, I hope Stan finally summons some proper guts tomorrow and goes for it from the word go.
I know it's a lot to ask for, but it's hard to cheer for someone who's got so much tennis in their body and then just hides it all away in some little drawer at the back of their brain and believes so little
There is a lot to be said for belief.
Dimi's got it galore.
Stand needs to have a double G&T before he steps on that court tomorrow ATP 1000: Madrid  - Page 9 1071211947

Stan can come up with a few miles of guts but Nadal knows no one can hit winner after winner for very long. He outlasts waves of confidence, it's the essence of his succes.

To be honest, i think only Djoko can beat Nadal upcoming clay tournaments. And as for RG, Djoko needs a top day a la Monte Carlo and do it rather quick.

gallery play

Posts : 2620
Join date : 2012-09-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

ATP 1000: Madrid  - Page 9 Empty Re: ATP 1000: Madrid

Post by noleisthebest on Sat May 11, 2013 8:52 pm

summerblues wrote:
noleisthebest wrote:Stand needs to....
Wow, that is funny. It feels like every other time I type Stan's name I end up with "Stand" and then I have to go correct myself. Looks like I am not alone.

You should see me trying to log in:
noleistheBET, noleistheVEST, noleistheVET.... Laugh


Last edited by noleisthebest on Sat May 11, 2013 8:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

noleisthebest

Posts : 27759
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

ATP 1000: Madrid  - Page 9 Empty Re: ATP 1000: Madrid

Post by gallery play on Sat May 11, 2013 8:53 pm

noleisthebest wrote:I actually think Murray has peaked and will soon begin to get frustrated as the pressure will remain the same but the results will start to dry up.

Murray has a very good chance to win Wimbledon. Mark my words.

gallery play

Posts : 2620
Join date : 2012-09-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

ATP 1000: Madrid  - Page 9 Empty Re: ATP 1000: Madrid

Post by noleisthebest on Sat May 11, 2013 8:55 pm

gallery play wrote:
noleisthebest wrote:I actually think Murray has peaked and will soon begin to get frustrated as the pressure will remain the same but the results will start to dry up.

Murray has a very good chance to win Wimbledon. Mark my words.

They all do, at least 5-6 of them...I can't wait for it, though, I have a feeling this Wimbledon is going to be special, the season has just begun to gather pace smiley

noleisthebest

Posts : 27759
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

ATP 1000: Madrid  - Page 9 Empty Re: ATP 1000: Madrid

Post by gallery play on Sat May 11, 2013 9:04 pm

ok, if you put it that way; my pick for Wimbledon is Murray.
Even though he sucked most of this year, no mistake about that

gallery play

Posts : 2620
Join date : 2012-09-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

ATP 1000: Madrid  - Page 9 Empty Re: ATP 1000: Madrid

Post by noleisthebest on Sat May 11, 2013 9:06 pm

My tip is Fed.

Btw, why Murray?

noleisthebest

Posts : 27759
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

ATP 1000: Madrid  - Page 9 Empty Re: ATP 1000: Madrid

Post by summerblues on Sat May 11, 2013 9:08 pm

gallery play wrote:And as for RG, Djoko needs a top day a la Monte Carlo and do it rather quick.
Why do you think so? I would make Djoko the favorite - assuming he makes it that far (I can see him losing early more easily than Rafa). When he was on that 7-0 stretch against Rafa, it was not even all that close most of the time. He lost three straight last year but the way I see it it was far more due to Nole's poor form rather than Nadal doing anything special.

I just do not see how Rafa is going to beat him if Nole is playing well (mind you, I am not saying Nole will win 100% of their matches - just that the odds will always be in his favor as long as he is playing well).

summerblues

Posts : 4706
Join date : 2012-05-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

ATP 1000: Madrid  - Page 9 Empty Re: ATP 1000: Madrid

Post by noleisthebest on Sat May 11, 2013 9:14 pm

gallery play wrote:


Stan can come up with a few miles of guts but Nadal knows no one can hit winner after winner for very long. He outlasts waves of confidence, it's the essence of his succes.

To be honest, i think only Djoko can beat Nadal upcoming clay tournaments. And as for RG, Djoko needs a top day a la Monte Carlo and do it rather quick.

I am not talking about guts to go for winners, but to play with belief from the very start. That means to try and move forward as soon as he can and EVERY time he can and win the point with minimal effort, so he does not have to be sent running left-and right and be trying for winners out of despair.
He is not fit enough to be base-lining it with Nadal.

He actually reminded me of Gasquet a bit tonight, just that stubbornness not to come forward, if he was scared of Berd passing him, can you imagine how scared he'll be from Nadal doing it?

noleisthebest

Posts : 27759
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

ATP 1000: Madrid  - Page 9 Empty Re: ATP 1000: Madrid

Post by gallery play on Sat May 11, 2013 9:35 pm

noleisthebest wrote:My tip is Fed.

Btw, why Murray?

Djoko is not at his best on grass, anyone of the top 4 can beat him on grass
Fed is..different this year. Can't see him returning to his best level.
Nadal, number 2 contender in my view. And if he gets another easy first week, probably number 1.
Murray, he was very impressive at the OG last year. He has the serve and the return (and the hands ATP 1000: Madrid  - Page 9 1071211947), could be in trouble against Nadal though.
Too early for Dimi

gallery play

Posts : 2620
Join date : 2012-09-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

ATP 1000: Madrid  - Page 9 Empty Re: ATP 1000: Madrid

Post by gallery play on Sat May 11, 2013 10:09 pm

summerblues wrote:
gallery play wrote:And as for RG, Djoko needs a top day a la Monte Carlo and do it rather quick.
Why do you think so? I would make Djoko the favorite - assuming he makes it that far (I can see him losing early more easily than Rafa). When he was on that 7-0 stretch against Rafa, it was not even all that close most of the time. He lost three straight last year but the way I see it it was far more due to Nole's poor form rather than Nadal doing anything special.

I just do not see how Rafa is going to beat him if Nole is playing well (mind you, I am not saying Nole will win 100% of their matches - just that the odds will always be in his favor as long as he is playing well).

I know i'm the only one here who believes NAdal will outlast Djoko in the end. Even though the Djoko has a more efficient game and wins more long rallies.
That 7-0 had everything to do with Djoko's new fitness and a sky high confidence which was kinda overwhelming for Nadal. Yet Nadal was getting closer and closer, so i don't agree with "not even close most of the time", i would like to believe it but it's not true. In most cases it was pretty intense and could have turned out differently . After the AO 2012 Nadal figured he was about to beat him again. That was how i saw it anyway.
Let's go back to the moment when Nadal broke Djoko's serve in the second set at Monte Carlo this year. I remember even Tenez said at that point: "Djoko blew the set, and likely the match". Djoko was playing out of his skin that day, and yet that tie break seemed a narrow escape.

It's just that if things on clay are getting real nasty, intense, brutal ect, Nadal wins. Bloody annoying, but reality.
Sure: if djoko plays well for three sets, he can do it. But how often has someone played well for three sets against Nadal on clay?

gallery play

Posts : 2620
Join date : 2012-09-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

ATP 1000: Madrid  - Page 9 Empty Re: ATP 1000: Madrid

Post by Tenez on Sat May 11, 2013 10:20 pm

gallery play wrote:To be honest, i think only Djoko can beat Nadal upcoming clay tournaments. And as for RG, Djoko needs a top day a la Monte Carlo and do it rather quick.

There we clearly disagree. Nadal cannot last 5 sets v Djoko....unless they play over 2 days so Nadal can get a bit of breathing.

Nadal almost beat Djoko in 5 at the AO12 but that was down to Djoko again losing his concentration like he did again in MC 2 weeks ago otherwise he could have won in 4 sets..but anyway at the end Djoko won that 5 setter despite being a break down and having struggled all the way to the final.

For me Nadal has more chance over Djoko in Bo3 than Bo5 nowdays....a bit like in 2011...Nadal got closer in IW and Miami than any of the slams.

Tenez

Posts : 20191
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

ATP 1000: Madrid  - Page 9 Empty Re: ATP 1000: Madrid

Post by Tenez on Sat May 11, 2013 10:38 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IF5KGP74FPM

Strange interview from Fed. He is showing he is upset to have lost and that Madrid is as important as the FO. He is even a bit aggressive in his answers.

And then it reminded me the day this american woman journalist asked him whether he had tanked the match versus Andy Murray in Cincy's second round in 2007(?) and has a very angry and aggressive response.

Tenez

Posts : 20191
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

ATP 1000: Madrid  - Page 9 Empty Re: ATP 1000: Madrid

Post by gallery play on Sat May 11, 2013 10:38 pm

Tenez wrote:
gallery play wrote:To be honest, i think only Djoko can beat Nadal upcoming clay tournaments. And as for RG, Djoko needs a top day a la Monte Carlo and do it rather quick.

There we clearly disagree. Nadal cannot last 5 sets v Djoko....unless they play over 2 days so Nadal can get a bit of breathing.

Nadal almost beat Djoko in 5 at the AO12 but that was down to Djoko again losing his concentration like he did again in MC 2 weeks ago otherwise he could have won in 4 sets..but anyway at the end Djoko won that 5 setter despite being a break down and having struggled all the way to the final.

For me Nadal has more chance over Djoko in Bo3 than Bo5 nowdays....a bit like in 2011...Nadal got closer in IW and Miami than any of the slams.

But that's the point, we know those things happen -especially in Bo5 format- and the animal will wait for that moment to strike. The longer the match, the more likely it will happen.
BTW: it's not nessesarily at loss of concentration, it can be a loss of timing, rhythm, inspiration, luck, whatever. But it always happens.

gallery play

Posts : 2620
Join date : 2012-09-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

ATP 1000: Madrid  - Page 9 Empty Re: ATP 1000: Madrid

Post by gallery play on Sat May 11, 2013 10:52 pm

Tenez wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IF5KGP74FPM

Strange interview from Fed. He is showing he is upset to have lost and that Madrid is as important as the FO. He is even a bit aggressive in his answers.

And then it reminded me the day this american woman journalist asked him whether he had tanked the match versus Andy Murray in Cincy's second round in 2007(?) and has a very angry and aggressive response.

To me he's more in a "yeah, well, whatever" kinda mood. Which is not very promising if you ask me.
This was his attempt to be "hard to beat" in Madrid... ATP 1000: Madrid  - Page 9 2998105013

gallery play

Posts : 2620
Join date : 2012-09-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

ATP 1000: Madrid  - Page 9 Empty Re: ATP 1000: Madrid

Post by Tenez on Sat May 11, 2013 11:15 pm

gallery play wrote:But that's the point, we know those things happen -especially in Bo5 format- and the animal will wait for that moment to strike. The longer the match, the more likely it will happen.

But for me it is simply a straightforward calculation. Nadal simply cannot last as long regardless how many ups and down Djoko goes through. Like in MC I was quite confident (and usually I am not for the one I support) that Djoko despite being a break down will comeback if not in that 2nd set, certainly in the 3rd....not because I believe in Djoko but because I knew that Nadal will struggle keeping running like that with only 25s or so between points and that it could only become easier for Djoko. It;s like in that USO 11....Djoko had a back problem in that 3rd and 4th set but it did not matter. The work was done in the first 3 sets and Nadal had nothing left in that 4th. In fact I think Nadal did better than 4 sets at the AO12 probably thanks to that fireworks rest which unsettled Djoko but allowed Nadal to refill.


BTW: it's not nessesarily at loss of concentration, it can be a loss of timing, rhythm, inspiration, luck, whatever. But it always happens.

You right. But whatever it is it certainly can desert him.....but how many times has he recovered from those?

Tenez

Posts : 20191
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

ATP 1000: Madrid  - Page 9 Empty Re: ATP 1000: Madrid

Post by Tenez on Sat May 11, 2013 11:17 pm

gallery play wrote:

To me he's more in a "yeah, well, whatever" kinda mood. Which is not very promising if you ask me.
This was his attempt to be "hard to beat" in Madrid... ATP 1000: Madrid  - Page 9 2998105013

Yep..good memory....I had forgotten that one.

Tenez

Posts : 20191
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

ATP 1000: Madrid  - Page 9 Empty Re: ATP 1000: Madrid

Post by gallery play on Sat May 11, 2013 11:57 pm

Tenez wrote:
gallery play wrote:But that's the point, we know those things happen -especially in Bo5 format- and the animal will wait for that moment to strike. The longer the match, the more likely it will happen.

But for me it is simply a straightforward calculation. Nadal simply cannot last as long regardless how many ups and down Djoko goes through. Like in MC I was quite confident (and usually I am not for the one I support) that Djoko despite being a break down will comeback if not in that 2nd set, certainly in the 3rd....not because I believe in Djoko but because I knew that Nadal will struggle keeping running like that with only 25s or so between points and that it could only become easier for Djoko. It;s like in that USO 11....Djoko had a back problem in that 3rd and 4th set but it did not matter. The work was done in the first 3 sets and Nadal had nothing left in that 4th. In fact I think Nadal did better than 4 sets at the AO12 probably thanks to that fireworks rest which unsettled Djoko but allowed Nadal to refill.


BTW: it's not nessesarily at loss of concentration, it can be a loss of timing, rhythm, inspiration, luck, whatever. But it always happens.

You right. But whatever it is it certainly can desert him.....but how many times has he recovered from those?
I wasn't talking about Djoko only, it's Rafa's gift to take away form from any of his opponants in the long run. He gets outhit in 40% of his matches but wins about 80% of his matches. and what is it: 96% on clay?

During the spring of 2011 i too thought Nadal never would beat Djoko again, but i later i saw him getting closer to Djoko every match they played. Maybe i'm underestimating Djoko, i sincerely hope so. But i surely do not underestimate Nadals' tenacity

BTW:I had to look this one up:

what you wrote when Nadal broke djoko's serve in MC:
Djoko really threw that game set and match away. 3 terrible points!

gallery play

Posts : 2620
Join date : 2012-09-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

ATP 1000: Madrid  - Page 9 Empty Re: ATP 1000: Madrid

Post by noleisthebest on Sun May 12, 2013 12:13 am

Nadal's only edge over Novak has always and only been only physical.

Once that element was out of the way, Nadal started losing consistently. He now has nothing left to beat him with.

In addition, the implementation of the 25 sec rule has really started to get under his skin which is why he is complaining about it so shamelessly.
So much so, that I noticed against Ferrer yesterday, he actually RAN OUT OF GAS after the first set. Problem was, Ferrer did, too.
He is beginning to look like Murray now.
The key is to stand up to him physically for at least two sets but keep a bit in your tank. Nole being a lot more energy-efficient than Nadal can do it easily. Plus his lapses are more of the -I know I beat him and I can do it at will- kind of nature. He comes back from those. And he has those slips all the time, not just against Nadal. Just his make-up. Tends to relax after thinking he's "got" the guy.

Nadal knows he has no chance against Novak with 25sec. rule. Others are getting closer and closer, too.

noleisthebest

Posts : 27759
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

ATP 1000: Madrid  - Page 9 Empty Re: ATP 1000: Madrid

Post by Tenez on Sun May 12, 2013 1:49 am

gallery play wrote: But i surely do not underestimate Nadals' tenacity

I'd say the main problem for Djoko is not Nadal...it's the other 126 players in the draw. Unlike Nadal, Djoko's shots are quite standard and easy to time so a good attacking player can hurt him whereas any attacking player woudl struggle pullling winners from Nadal's spinny shots...certainly the case on clay.

[quote]BTW:I had to look this one up:

what you wrote when Nadal broke djoko's serve in MC:
Djoko really threw that game set and match away. 3 terrible points!
Yes but if I am not mistaking I meant that Djoko threw an occasion to put the game set and match away by wasting 3 easy balls...meaning he will have to do it teh hard way from now. When I say later that I am confident he will win, Djoko was still a break down.

Tenez

Posts : 20191
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

ATP 1000: Madrid  - Page 9 Empty Re: ATP 1000: Madrid

Post by sphairistike on Sun May 12, 2013 2:06 am

gallery play wrote:
Tenez wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IF5KGP74FPM

Strange interview from Fed. He is showing he is upset to have lost and that Madrid is as important as the FO. He is even a bit aggressive in his answers.

And then it reminded me the day this american woman journalist asked him whether he had tanked the match versus Andy Murray in Cincy's second round in 2007(?) and has a very angry and aggressive response.

To me he's more in a "yeah, well, whatever" kinda mood. Which is not very promising if you ask me.
This was his attempt to be "hard to beat" in Madrid... ATP 1000: Madrid  - Page 9 2998105013

I saw that interview too. It seemed that he was saying the truth like for the "I don't know how well he thinks he played..." bit and that the truth to him is he's fed up with all those slam-centric journalists as he does not believe it is good for the sport to see Madrid, which is a master after all, being treated as just a lead-up tournament to RG, nothing less, nothing more... And I believe him when he says that RG is far away and that he has time to start thinking about it... He might also be a bit worried about his own slam form, or maybe not...

sphairistike

Posts : 584
Join date : 2012-08-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

ATP 1000: Madrid  - Page 9 Empty Re: ATP 1000: Madrid

Post by sphairistike on Sun May 12, 2013 2:12 am

Tenez wrote:
gallery play wrote:

To me he's more in a "yeah, well, whatever" kinda mood. Which is not very promising if you ask me.
This was his attempt to be "hard to beat" in Madrid... ATP 1000: Madrid  - Page 9 2998105013

Yep..good memory....I had forgotten that one.

IMHO, the "hard to beat" was not for Madrid only but for the full stretch starting at Madrid and ending at the USO. He said he was playing all the tournaments in that stretch and he wanted to be hard to beat. Be sure he will be in Rome, I think he has a big chance of winning it, he almost came back last year vs. Nole in SF. Imagine against a super tired Nole who just beat Nadal in his SF the night before, especially that Fed would have the earlier match if it is like Madrid in terms of top/bottom halves, etc. He will be hard to beat on both grass tournaments as well, and as always on the lead up to USO and at USO... It doesn't mean he will win all the tournaments he enters from now on, but I have a strange feeling he'll be making finals and win a few. Good Luck Roger!

sphairistike

Posts : 584
Join date : 2012-08-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

ATP 1000: Madrid  - Page 9 Empty Re: ATP 1000: Madrid

Post by noleisthebest on Sun May 12, 2013 2:26 am

sphairistike wrote:
gallery play wrote:
Tenez wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IF5KGP74FPM

Strange interview from Fed. He is showing he is upset to have lost and that Madrid is as important as the FO. He is even a bit aggressive in his answers.

And then it reminded me the day this american woman journalist asked him whether he had tanked the match versus Andy Murray in Cincy's second round in 2007(?) and has a very angry and aggressive response.

To me he's more in a "yeah, well, whatever" kinda mood. Which is not very promising if you ask me.
This was his attempt to be "hard to beat" in Madrid... ATP 1000: Madrid  - Page 9 2998105013

I saw that interview too. It seemed that he was saying the truth like for the "I don't know how well he thinks he played..." bit and that the truth to him is he's fed up with all those slam-centric journalists as he does not believe it is good for the sport to see Madrid, which is a master after all, being treated as just a lead-up tournament to RG, nothing less, nothing more... And I believe him when he says that RG is far away and that he has time to start thinking about it... He might also be a bit worried about his own slam form, or maybe not...

Well now even I have seen that interview!

Fed looks pretty good to me in it: he is patient and not aggressive in the least. He understands why he lost and obviously sees the reasons why behind the loss.
He doesn't appear to be rattled by it and we all know what he is like when he is.

For those who want to read between the lines it clearly answers where he puts Madrid in terms of "importance" Winking

I really think there's nothing to worry about.

noleisthebest

Posts : 27759
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

ATP 1000: Madrid  - Page 9 Empty Re: ATP 1000: Madrid

Post by raiders_of_the_lost_ark on Sun May 12, 2013 3:41 am

Awesome result and kind of surprising. The match was a bit late-night for my time zone and I had a tiring day. The last I remember seeing score was 2-4 30-40 Stan was down 1 BP and saving one for a double break and Berdy was looking good. Then I slept off with TV still on, when I woke up the match was over and I and had no energy to turn on PC to check the result.

Now in the morning an delightful surprise that Stan won. He has played 9 matches in 10 days and today will be his 10th in 11 days and this is undoubtedly the toughest.

raiders_of_the_lost_ark

Posts : 3320
Join date : 2012-07-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

ATP 1000: Madrid  - Page 9 Empty Re: ATP 1000: Madrid

Post by raiders_of_the_lost_ark on Sun May 12, 2013 3:49 am

gallery play wrote:
noleisthebest wrote:I still think Berd would've had better chance against Nadal tomorrow. Stan needs to be super aggressive if he wants to have that trophy lifted and not bitten ATP 1000: Madrid  - Page 9 4006036031

Maybe, although i think this is one of those typical tournaments where too much is going Nadal's way: the easy draw, the schedule, the slugfests on the top half ,the audience. It's like it's inevitable he'll win.

Bery might have taken a few sets of Nadal and also beaten him in the past, but I'll rather go with a bit unknown factor that Stan may have which Berdych doesn't. Berd's game lacks variety though its still very strong and stable, he doesn't have the variation or the stamina to rally for long with Nadal.

Stamina even Stan may not have against Nadal, especially now after playing so many consecutive matches, but he has glimmer of chance due to his variety and all-court game.

raiders_of_the_lost_ark

Posts : 3320
Join date : 2012-07-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

ATP 1000: Madrid  - Page 9 Empty Re: ATP 1000: Madrid

Post by summerblues on Sun May 12, 2013 5:27 am

gallery play wrote:I know i'm the only one here who believes NAdal will outlast Djoko in the end. Even though the Djoko has a more efficient game and wins more long rallies.
That 7-0 had everything to do with Djoko's new fitness and a sky high confidence which was kinda overwhelming for Nadal. Yet Nadal was getting closer and closer, so i don't agree with "not even close most of the time", i would like to believe it but it's not true. In most cases it was pretty intense and could have turned out differently . After the AO 2012 Nadal figured he was about to beat him again. That was how i saw it anyway.
I would not say Nadal was getting closer and closer. I think the first two - IW and Miami - were close. After that, it was mostly one way traffic through the USO (in spite of Nole's form starting to go downhill by the USO).

AO was very close, I obviously agree, but I see it mostly as a result of Nole having been tired after his SF. Nole started the match looking very jaded and did not really get going until the third set. He then looked his usual self in the third and most of the fourth, but throughout the fifth set he was definitely more tired than Rafa. He took a lot off his strokes both in terms of power and in terms of not going as close to the lines as in the third/fourth, but it was - just - enough to sneak a victory. Last year's clay court season, Nole was quite a bit off his best.

Nole does not necessarily outlast Rafa, nor does he need to. He needs to be able to last as well as Rafa, or at least close to it, and I think he can do it. If he manages that, then his attacking game will always be superior to Rafa's, so the odds will be in his favor.

Of course, I could be wrong - which makes it more interesting to wait and see how the rest of the clay court season plays out.

summerblues

Posts : 4706
Join date : 2012-05-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

ATP 1000: Madrid  - Page 9 Empty Re: ATP 1000: Madrid

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum