Our Tennis Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» I Just Can't Help Believing!
Federer - Wasn't Federer lucky in that last Wimbledon? EmptySat Mar 23, 2024 9:00 pm by noleisthebest

» The Bullshit of Rafael Nadal
Federer - Wasn't Federer lucky in that last Wimbledon? EmptyMon Feb 12, 2024 12:15 am by Daniel2

» Why Trump's 'tough' stance on radical Islam... could lead to more terrorism
Federer - Wasn't Federer lucky in that last Wimbledon? EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:32 am by Daniel2

» Missing Madeline 10 years on..
Federer - Wasn't Federer lucky in that last Wimbledon? EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:31 am by Daniel2

» '15 Dubious Weak Era Records'
Federer - Wasn't Federer lucky in that last Wimbledon? EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:06 am by Daniel2

» AO 2024 - Sinner baby!!
Federer - Wasn't Federer lucky in that last Wimbledon? EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:05 am by Daniel2

» Paris Masters
Federer - Wasn't Federer lucky in that last Wimbledon? EmptyMon Nov 06, 2023 9:47 pm by noleisthebest

» Alvarez could bring me back to tennis
Federer - Wasn't Federer lucky in that last Wimbledon? EmptyWed Sep 20, 2023 10:25 am by raiders_of_the_lost_ark

» IDEMOOOOOOO! ! ! !
Federer - Wasn't Federer lucky in that last Wimbledon? EmptyMon Sep 11, 2023 9:47 am by noleisthebest

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

Wasn't Federer lucky in that last Wimbledon?

5 posters

Go down

Federer - Wasn't Federer lucky in that last Wimbledon? Empty Wasn't Federer lucky in that last Wimbledon?

Post by Tenez Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:55 pm

Very lucky if you ask me....but I will add "for once"!

Has he ever had such an easy draw in his whole career? However his form being very poor in his first 4 matches should have cost him an early round loss. Benneteau was at 2 points from winning it 4 times if I remember.
Malisse had to deal with a completely powerless Federer but was simply overwhelmed by the centre court and the occasion. Federer even apologised to him at the end. Same thing happened with Youzhny losing his focus though Federer started to play a bit better making it even more one sided than v Malisse.

Then came the semi v Djokovic, clearly by then Fed's back was improving fast but again Djokovic was noticeably well under par, in fact under the weather it seems as a cold was blamed for his relative poor performance.

But surely Fed would be tested v Murray in the final and any sub-par performance by Federer would be exposed by the Scott. And so he was with a few points for a set and a break down, nearly 2 sets down...only saved by some pieces of luck again and great skills from the maestro. But Federer's luck would not stop there; the rain came also on time to shut the element out of that final and allow the lucky champion to play indoors where his timing is most efficient and can make the difference against the other top 4 players. With his back well warmed up into that 3rd set he would surely be unstoppable. But lady luck wanted to make sure Federer would get his 7th Wimbledon. Indeed, having just watched the last 2 sets, it;s clear that Murray was physically struggling badly with his mouvement. Whether it's his back or too much lactic acid in his huge thighs he is a shadow of the player he was in set 1 and 2. Federer noticed it too and can play freely that beautiful tennis only him can produce.

5 days later, I am still stunned Federer won that Wimby on the form he was in. Remember, he lost convincingly in 3 v Djoko at the French open a month ago, and in 2 v old Haase a week before Wimbledon. I really expected Federer to lose, for the first time in 10 years in the early rounds and Benneteau almost proved me right. But though the tennis gods had blessed Federer with ridiculous talent, they never made it easy for him, giving the toughest challenges, toughest draws, slowest and adverse conds, giving his opponents hyperhuman powers. They certainly owed him one!

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Federer - Wasn't Federer lucky in that last Wimbledon? Empty Re: Wasn't Federer lucky in that last Wimbledon?

Post by noleisthebest Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:16 am

I think he earnt it fair and square, well done to him
I hope Nole shows the same desire at 30 smiley!

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Federer - Wasn't Federer lucky in that last Wimbledon? Empty Re: Wasn't Federer lucky in that last Wimbledon?

Post by Veejay Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:41 am

Everything did seem to just fall in perfect place for Roger,the draw opened up with Nadal being knocked out early,it rained so the roof was used during his 2 toughest matches,which gave him a huge advantage.He had also never faced Djokovic or Murray on grass before which definitely helped his confidence
I don't think it was luck,I think it was Rogers karma cause I believe he was destined to win this Wimbledon.Luck cant stop nerves and Roger was nervous enough to bottle it in the first 2 sets of the final
That said,I believe his last 3 matches was the best tennis we have seen from him in a while,so Im not stunned he won Wimbledon playing the way he did,I was actually stunned at the quality of tennis he was producing
Many of his recent titles have been rather close affairs, and its fair to say that he barely scrapped through some of them,but theres no way anyone can dispute that he won Wimbledon pretty convincingly,he was the outright winner.It was the first time in a very long time that for the most part he completely dictated play and dominated Murray and Djokovic,it was all one way traffic
A glimpse back to the days when this was how he routinely dismissed his opposition.
I cant think of the last time he produced such magic out of nowhere,the last 2 points of the 2nd set in the final was unbelievable

Veejay

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:06 pm

I cant think of the last time he produced such magic out of nowhere,the last 2 points of the 2nd set in the final was unbelievable -----------------------

I think that without his physical problems (back) we woudl see many more points like that.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Veejay Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:03 pm

Tenez wrote:I cant think of the last time he produced such magic out of nowhere,the last 2 points of the 2nd set in the final was unbelievable -----------------------

I think that without his physical problems (back) we woudl see many more points like that.

I don't know,even when he is injury free and fully fit,we rarely see the magical genius shot making artistry that set him apart from the rest
I personally think a lot of it has to do with confidence,the last 2 years he's become very conservative,he simplified his game ( I think to beat Nadal) and plays it safe most of the time these days
When he starts playing with more variety and takes risks,he becomes unplayable and far less predictive
His chromic back pains certainly prohibit him,but he also doesnt seem eager to take risks when he isn't feeling confident
Remember that quarter final match with Del Potro back in 09 at the AO,the one with all the ridiculous drop shots,Wimbledon is the first time in a while he's played with similar confidence.I wouldn't really count last years RG cause after he lost serve serving for the 1st set in the final,I believe that was the point where he mentally lost the match and his self belief was crushed
There were no signs of a defeated Federer at Wimbledon,even being within 2 points of losing to Beneteau or when Murray was really frustrating him

Veejay

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:41 pm

At last back from the gruelling gym time (loved every minute of it ) where I (among other things) even thought of Federer and this thread...
Well, what can be said....I don't think he was lucky, he may have
struggled in a few matches, but then again top players often tend to do
it en route to lifting the trophy, esp as there was not a lot of grass
matches played before Wimbledon.
So here's my thought: I think he won it because he wanted it most, that
was that extra ingredienat that made him summon all he had in him and
play superbly in those last two sets against Murray, and I'm imagining
in the last set against Nole (didn't see it).

I also think the fact that Nadal was out of the way also propelled Federer's determination further.

Although I'm sad Nole lost that match and number one ranking
(temporarily, he,he), I'm glad Federer got that Sampras's record off his
back now.

And most of all , I'm glad he got all the painful journalists off his back, as well.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Veejay Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:43 pm

Its debatable if he wanted it the most,Id say Murray wanted to win just as bad,maybe even more
I think out of Djokovic and Federer,Roger played like he wanted the win more
Nadal probably wanted to win the title badly too but underestimated Rosol,he probably ended up wishing he beat Rosol more then he wished he won Wimbledon
I definitely agree that Roger became even more motivated knowing that Nadal was out of the way
Heres an interesting question,do you think Federer would still have beaten Djokovic if he knew Nadal was waiting for him in the final?

Veejay

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:53 pm

Veejay wrote:Its debatable if he wanted it the most,Id say Murray wanted to win just as bad,maybe even more

My point was that when Federer wants something badly he is able to play his best tennis.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Veejay Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:08 pm

noleisthebest wrote:
Veejay wrote:Its debatable if he wanted it the most,Id say Murray wanted to win just as bad,maybe even more

My point was that when Federer wants something badly he is able to play his best tennis.

Yeah thats true,it always shows in the way he plays,I remember when he won the U.S Open in 08,he played the best match he played all year in the final
Most importantly its effective and gets the job done,I don't know about Novak but I don't think the same can be said for Nadal
Last season he lost several titles he wanted badly and the gap between him and Novak became bigger with every match

Veejay

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:23 pm

Veejay wrote:,I don't know about Novak but I don't think the same can be said for Nadal
Last season he lost several titles he wanted badly and the gap between him and Novak became bigger with every match

I've noticed that Nole chokes a bit under those high pressure matches when there's history on the line. It all started when he lost against NIemenen in 2009 (he could've grabbed number 2 off Federer ), then a few other times, too.
Nole is best when pressed against the wall.

With Nadal, he just plays in the same gear and mode and there's not a lot in his game that he can summon: it's very predictable.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Veejay Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:35 pm

Yep,definitely agree with that,Novak plays his best tennis under extreme pressure situations,when you have a match point against him,expect his best tennis to come out
I actually thought he was going to break Roger when he served for the match and go on to win the match,he was lucky with the first net point,on the second point he returned down the line,the ball was called out when it was in,Fed could have been down 0-30
If RG final continued playing on the Sunday,I reckon Novak would have won the match,he had that match firmly in his grip,Nadal was getting tight and Novak was playing in the zone.That win could have changed Novak forever,pitty they had to come back the next day.Jim Courier said that there was a distraction from the crowd that threw Novak off which set up match point and then he lost concentration and thought about the moment too much

Veejay

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:38 pm

I know. No wonder was so happy when he won it.
It wouldn't surprise me if those "detractors" were pre-organised.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Veejay Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:46 pm

noleisthebest wrote:I know. No wonder was so happy when he won it.
It wouldn't surprise me if those "detractors" were pre-organised.

Wouldn't surprise me either

Veejay

Back to top Go down

Post by federator Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:40 am

I'm not sure if attributing Federer's recent Wimbledon triumph to luck is fair. He may not have found his form early on in the tournament and had to dig deep into his reserves to ensure he stays on till the 3nd week. That in itself requires a lot of grit and mental toughness. He wiped Djo out pretty clean with some awesome display of tennis and am pretty sure would have handed Nadal the same treatment had Nadal made it so far.

I still fail to understand the luck factor here.

federator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:04 pm

Welcome to the forum, Federator. There is a thread on introduce yourself, maybe you can provide us more info baout yourself on there.

Fed was lucky that he managed to win against Bennetau. Those 2 days gave him enough time to recuperate and from there on he was sublime and magical.

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:40 pm

federator wrote:I'm not sure if attributing Federer's recent Wimbledon triumph to luck is fair. He may not have found his form early on in the tournament and had to dig deep into his reserves to ensure he stays on till the 3nd week. That in itself requires a lot of grit and mental toughness. He wiped Djo out pretty clean with some awesome display of tennis and am pretty sure would have handed Nadal the same treatment had Nadal made it so far.

Federator ? That sounds almost like one of Nole's nicknames - Serbinator Federer - Wasn't Federer lucky in that last Wimbledon? 1071211947
Welcome to the forum, being a Fed fan, you've found yourself a nice home here Federer - Wasn't Federer lucky in that last Wimbledon? 650269930

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:14 pm

federator wrote:I'm not sure if attributing Federer's recent Wimbledon triumph to luck is fair. He may not have found his form early on in the tournament and had to dig deep into his reserves to ensure he stays on till the 3nd week. That in itself requires a lot of grit and mental toughness. He wiped Djo out pretty clean with some awesome display of tennis and am pretty sure would have handed Nadal the same treatment had Nadal made it so far.

Welcome here Federator.

The luck factor is clearly obvious. He was in very visible pain with his back in teh middle of teh tournament. AT this level I expect such discomfort enough to lose a match, even against a 200 ranked players. Malisse, Youzhny played terrible under the occasion and Fed was very lucky that the back problem disappeared in the later rounds. f course he is mentally tough and deserved the win at teh end....but it's clear that had this back problem resurrected v Djoko or Murray, it woudl have been over pretty quickly. (that's just one example why I think he was lucky, I explain the other reasons in the OP....)

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:13 pm

Tenez wrote:The luck factor is clearly obvious.

Lady Luck favours the brave. Winking

Tenez wrote:He was in very visible pain with his back in teh middle of teh tournament. AT this level I expect such discomfort enough to lose a match, even against a 200 ranked players. Malisse, Youzhny played terrible under the occasion and Fed was very lucky that the back problem disappeared in the later rounds.

So was he in TMC 2008. And he still played a three-set match with Murray. If he starts retiring from matches, as he gets older, Djokovic has a very handy retort. Winking

Tenez wrote:f course he is mentally tough and deserved the win at teh end....but it's clear that had this back problem resurrected v Djoko or Murray, it woudl have been over pretty quickly. (that's just one example why I think he was lucky, I explain the other reasons in the OP....)

More than likely, he will be lucky at USO 2012.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down