Latest topics
» What now for Roger?
TIPSAREVIC: QUANTITY VS QUALITY EmptyYesterday at 4:37 pm by Jahu

» Slam chase
TIPSAREVIC: QUANTITY VS QUALITY EmptyThu Jul 18, 2019 11:31 pm by Tenez

» Generation Worthless
TIPSAREVIC: QUANTITY VS QUALITY EmptyThu Jul 18, 2019 2:08 pm by mcekovic

» Wimbledon Day 13, Sunday 14th July
TIPSAREVIC: QUANTITY VS QUALITY EmptyTue Jul 16, 2019 7:03 am by raiders_of_the_lost_ark

» Wimbledon seeding is disrespectful, says Rafael Nadal
TIPSAREVIC: QUANTITY VS QUALITY EmptyMon Jul 15, 2019 1:15 pm by barrystar

» Women final
TIPSAREVIC: QUANTITY VS QUALITY EmptySat Jul 13, 2019 4:54 pm by bogbrush

» Wimbledon Day 11, Friday 12th July
TIPSAREVIC: QUANTITY VS QUALITY EmptySat Jul 13, 2019 12:10 pm by paulcz

» Wimbledon Day 9, Wednesday 10th July
TIPSAREVIC: QUANTITY VS QUALITY EmptyThu Jul 11, 2019 9:21 pm by Tenez

» Wimbledon Day 10, Thursday 11th July
TIPSAREVIC: QUANTITY VS QUALITY EmptyThu Jul 11, 2019 4:19 pm by Jahu

July 2019
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

TIPSAREVIC: QUANTITY VS QUALITY

Go down

TIPSAREVIC: QUANTITY VS QUALITY Empty TIPSAREVIC: QUANTITY VS QUALITY

Post by SayonaRa on Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:16 am

http://www.10sballs.com/2012/11/09/tipsarevic-not-happy-with-his-london-performance/

“Serb Janko Tipsarevic has pulled no punches after losing two group matches
at the World Tour Finals and missing out on any chance of reaching the
semi-finals in his second year of competing in the year-end competition. And
with one meaningless – for him- group match to go, the No. 9 is far from
pleased with his end-of-season showing.

“If you ask me if I’m happy with my performance, I’m not. I’m playing
horrible. I’m playing worst than horrible. I’m playing the worst tennis that I
played in a long time. But I’m on the court, behaving good, not throwing my
racquet, giving my best.”

The honest intellectual of the ATP whose thoughtful answers are
sometimes the exception rather than the rule among losing competitors, said
that his recent illness is no longer a part of his current playing equation,

“The problem was that I was sick and I didn’t play a lot of tennis
lately. But two days in a row, I passed the one-hour mark, which is a great
achievement I guess.

“It’s not rocket science. I’m not playing good. I feel sorry that I
don’t play my best tennis here in London,
which is probably the best event of the year. But I fight hard to be in a
position to come to this event. So I’ll just do my best for one more match.”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tipsy: “But I fight hard to be in a position to come to this event.”

This is the interesting part. Just a little over 11/2 years ago in June ’11,
Tipsy was ranked 30 at age 27. I never noticed anything remarkable about this
player. But all of a sudden, he leaped to the top ten in Nov. the same year!
How did he do it? When I checked his tournament history, I only realize he didn’t
necessarily achieve a much higher ranking by the quality of his tennis. He got
there by playing A LOT of tournaments and accumulating ATP points. So I suspect
“I fight hard” means “I play a lot” rather than “I improved my game.”

It is therefore not surprising that Tipsy doesn’t live up to expectation at
the WTF. In his particular case, his #9 ranking does not truly reflect the quality
but the huge quantities of tennis he’s played. http://www.atpworldtour.com/Rankings/YTD-Singles.aspx

By contrast this year, Djoko, who played 10 whole tournaments less than
Tipsy, accumulated 8,000+ pts more than his countryman. It shows that when a
player really has what it takes, he/she doesn’t really need to bank on
quantities of tournaments played.

I could be way off. Feed back please. Thanks in advance. TIPSAREVIC: QUANTITY VS QUALITY 83870220

SayonaRa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

TIPSAREVIC: QUANTITY VS QUALITY Empty Re: TIPSAREVIC: QUANTITY VS QUALITY

Post by noleisthebest on Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:27 am

There is an interesting parallel to general life in this perspective you gave on Tipsarevic.
I have never been a fan of his for various reasons; furthermore, I have been upset with his numerous retirements this year, most towards almost the very end of a match (freshest example against JJ -2 sets and 40: love and 1:4 down).
Also his self-proclaimed virtually tattooed into his body (Dostoyevsky's "beauty will save the world" tattoo in Japanese) "intelectual" image which could not be further from the truth - a dead give-away of immaturity and in-your-face vanity.

Tipsarevic is an open book, vain young man who loves to talk (esp about himself) and I suppose from that point of view an endless source for ever-hungry media - they'll listen to whomever will give them a story. So it's mutual love there in action, both sides win.

So from that angle, it is good to have him around as he often speaks his mind and gives a rare to acquire insider's perspective on the ATP tour locker-room world.

Is it fair to comapare him to Novak Djokovic?

I say - no, their only similarity is that they are both from Serbia.

It would be the same as if we tried to compare Ferrer and Nadal, when Nadal was number one.

Tipsarevic used to be a promising junior and I believe even USO junior champion or finalist (not sure, but too lazy to check).
For somebody who thinks the world of himself it must have then been more than painful to have to watch a younger compatriot soar up the rankings and reach the stars.

You can't blame him.
You can't blame him either for swallowing that pride and being inspired by Novak, after the DC win, he must have hit the gym and practice courts like mad, abandoning his DJ party life-style and working out how to give it his best shot in an almost "it's now or never" fashion.
An he did it: the courts are slow and he's got enoguh talent to make them work in his favour.

So in a way, he's made the most of his circumstances and that is commendable.

Same here in O2: secretly I wished he didn't play and gave Gasuet a chance, as it was wheat Murray did last year and gave the reserve Tipsarevic a chance to play 2 matches (one of those he beat Djokovic, the other nearly beat Berdych and qualified for the semis).

But then again, Tips is holding on to what he has worked for all his life with all his might, and I can understand it, I just wish he could for once step aside of himself and see how the world sees it.
But then again, is it realistic to expect that in this selfish world people puts others' interests first, not just in empty words but deeds and when it really costs them?

Romantics of this world are a rare species TIPSAREVIC: QUANTITY VS QUALITY 650269930

noleisthebest

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez on Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:02 am

The problem SR with playing a lot is that it gets you nowhere unless you go deeper in each tournament one plays. You may be playing 40 tournaments a year but if you stall in round one or 2 a player will not be ranked above 30. It's going further that brings the points needed to be in teh top 10....no different than for Djokovic except that Djoko goes a tiny bit further everytime....but it's in "this tiny further" that are all the points.

And Tsip has certainly been very consistent in reaching deep of the small tournaments and decent of the bigger ones.

Now how he did get that extra edge to get past more talented players? I think it's in the diet again I am afraid. I think he even surprised himself he could get such big thighs (ref to his picture).

Tenez

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SayonaRa on Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:51 pm

noleisthebest wrote:There is an interesting parallel to general life in this perspective you gave on Tipsarevic.
I have never been a fan of his for various reasons; furthermore, I have been upset with his numerous retirements this year, most towards almost the very end of a match (freshest example against JJ -2 sets and 40: love and 1:4 down).
Also his self-proclaimed virtually tattooed into his body (Dostoyevsky's "beauty will save the world" tattoo in Japanese) "intelectual" image which could not be further from the truth - a dead give-away of immaturity and in-your-face vanity.

Tipsarevic is an open book, vain young man who loves to talk (esp about himself) and I suppose from that point of view an endless source for ever-hungry media - they'll listen to whomever will give them a story. So it's mutual love there in action, both sides win.

So from that angle, it is good to have him around as he often speaks his mind and gives a rare to acquire insider's perspective on the ATP tour locker-room world.

Is it fair to comapare him to Novak Djokovic?

I say - no, their only similarity is that they are both from Serbia.

It would be the same as if we tried to compare Ferrer and Nadal, when Nadal was number one.

Tipsarevic used to be a promising junior and I believe even USO junior champion or finalist (not sure, but too lazy to check).
For somebody who thinks the world of himself it must have then been more than painful to have to watch a younger compatriot soar up the rankings and reach the stars.

You can't blame him.
You can't blame him either for swallowing that pride and being inspired by Novak, after the DC win, he must have hit the gym and practice courts like mad, abandoning his DJ party life-style and working out how to give it his best shot in an almost "it's now or never" fashion.
An he did it: the courts are slow and he's got enoguh talent to make them work in his favour.

So in a way, he's made the most of his circumstances and that is commendable.

Same here in O2: secretly I wished he didn't play and gave Gasuet a chance, as it was wheat Murray did last year and gave the reserve Tipsarevic a chance to play 2 matches (one of those he beat Djokovic, the other nearly beat Berdych and qualified for the semis).

But then again, Tips is holding on to what he has worked for all his life with all his might, and I can understand it, I just wish he could for once step aside of himself and see how the world sees it.
But then again, is it realistic to expect that in this selfish world people puts others' interests first, not just in empty words but deeds and when it really costs them?

Romantics of this world are a rare species TIPSAREVIC: QUANTITY VS QUALITY 650269930

Thanks for your input, noley.

Wow, I didn't know anything about Tipsy's background. I was just stunned to find this unremarkable player
suddenly reaches top ten, while nothing in his game even suggests he's top ten material (sorry).

No, don't get me wrong, I was just using the total games Djoko and Tipsy played and total points won respectively to show that tipsy didn't become top ten necessarily from talent but more likely from the huge no. of tournament he played in. I don't think his #9 ranking reflects means he's really the number ninth tennis player in the world, but rather he essentially played in more tournaments than those ranked below him. That being said, it means Gasghet below him in ranking is not less talented than Tipsy, the French guy just played less and accumulated less points.

SayonaRa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest on Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:52 pm

In my books, Tipsarevic is a more talented player than Ferrer.
As for Gasquet and talent and ranking, talent without the mental fortitude and IQ and a few other bits does not guarantee the rankings. Just look at Nadal.
Someone who was number one for two years, won 11 slams (albeit 7 RGs) and never won WTF.

If Nadal could grind his way to number one like that, nothing stopping Tipsarevic for making the most of what he can.

noleisthebest

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest on Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:56 pm

Gasquet is more talented than Tsonga, yet never reached a slam final or had similar success.

noleisthebest

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SayonaRa on Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:01 pm

Tenez wrote:The problem SR with playing a lot is that it gets you nowhere unless you go deeper in each tournament one plays. You may be playing 40 tournaments a year but if you stall in round one or 2 a player will not be ranked above 30. It's going further that brings the points needed to be in teh top 10....no different than for Djokovic except that Djoko goes a tiny bit further everytime....but it's in "this tiny further" that are all the points.

And Tsip has certainly been very consistent in reaching deep of the small tournaments and decent of the bigger ones.

Now how he did get that extra edge to get past more talented players? I think it's in the diet again I am afraid. I think he even surprised himself he could get such big thighs (ref to his picture).

Thing is, he's not ranked like 100th but 30th, so he's capable of going deep in the lesser events when he doesn't face the top 20 every round. Even if he doesn't reach deep there are still points to be earned from the earlier rounds, aren't there?

Goodness me, I never thought of THE DIET. TIPSAREVIC: QUANTITY VS QUALITY 2033450363 You could be right. He just doesn't play or possess the intensity or aura of a top-ten (sorry). In fact, I find it quite annoying as he seems like such a bland player. (sorry)

SayonaRa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down