Our Tennis Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» I Just Can't Help Believing!
Who is in form this year? EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 8:25 am by Daniel2

» The Bullshit of Rafael Nadal
Who is in form this year? EmptyMon Feb 12, 2024 12:15 am by Daniel2

» Why Trump's 'tough' stance on radical Islam... could lead to more terrorism
Who is in form this year? EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:32 am by Daniel2

» Missing Madeline 10 years on..
Who is in form this year? EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:31 am by Daniel2

» '15 Dubious Weak Era Records'
Who is in form this year? EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:06 am by Daniel2

» AO 2024 - Sinner baby!!
Who is in form this year? EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:05 am by Daniel2

» Paris Masters
Who is in form this year? EmptyMon Nov 06, 2023 9:47 pm by noleisthebest

» Alvarez could bring me back to tennis
Who is in form this year? EmptyWed Sep 20, 2023 10:25 am by raiders_of_the_lost_ark

» IDEMOOOOOOO! ! ! !
Who is in form this year? EmptyMon Sep 11, 2023 9:47 am by noleisthebest

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

Who is in form this year?

5 posters

Go down

Who is in form this year? Empty Who is in form this year?

Post by Tenez Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:56 pm

Happy New Year to all.

Looks like Nadal is excited and ready to snap that number 20. He is clearly in shape and will be a good contender for the Australian open.

Djokovic - Likewise he seems on form and remains probably our best bet to stop Nadal's dream. But he has been flimsy recently and difficult to have a clear view on his current form after his defeats in London.

Shapo seems on form too. He finished the year strongly (won Stockholm and got to Paris Final) He beat Tsi and Zverev quite convincingly in that cup and should be a force in Melbourne.

What about the other youngsters? Not Sure, de Minaur in Australia will be tough too. In fact he beat Shapo this year certainly one to watch.

Looking forward to see how Medv, Kasha, Thiem, and others have improved in the season end. Will they finally lift a slam title?

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Who is in form this year? Empty Re: Who is in form this year?

Post by raiders_of_the_lost_ark Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:01 am

For me, this is the breakthrough year for the youngsters. And this does not just hope, they made good progress last year, this time it's their turn. A bit of help with the draw where they will only have to beat one of the Fed/Nadal/Djoko en route to the title.

Nothing more, just similar help like the 3 themselves got when they won their first slams in 2003/05/08 respectively. This is all the new gen needs now.

My best bets are Tsitsipas and Theim ( mostly clay ).

raiders_of_the_lost_ark

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:32 pm

I don't believe in Thiem. He is not smart enough but I agree that on clay he will be a force.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:46 am

Good fight from Shapo v Djoko. Confirms his good form. I suspect his mental side let him down again in that TB.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:57 pm

Nole vs Medvedev - it was like watching two Noles play.  High quality play from both, and very similar from both.  But, but...  as close as it was, the older, real, Nole always looked a little better.  If anything, the score flatters Medvedev a little.

I was hoping for a different result... sigh.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:05 pm

raiders_of_the_lost_ark wrote:For me, this is the breakthrough year for the youngsters.
Even though I was disappointed in Medvedev last night, I see it the same as you.  Somehow I feel (or is it hope?) that this is finally the year of the guards changing.  The youngsters were almost close enough last year here and there and they will have made progress this year - they look hungrier than Dimi and co. used to look.

Also, even though the old guard has been scooping up all the slams, they do show signs that they are running on fumes:  Nole did not look his best last year outside the AO (even though he won Wimbledon) and Rafa showed signs that he needed to pace himself on clay rather than just hoover all the titles up.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:19 pm

Nadal losing again to Nole. It's so frustrating to see a player getting close to 20 slams yet never was the best player of his generation....bar on clay maybe and even that is arguable.

Hopefully Nadal will never reach 20 cause frankly he doesn't deserve it, especially when considering all those slams he won without meeting top seeded players.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:39 am

Tenez wrote:
Hopefully Nadal will never reach 20 cause frankly he doesn't deserve it, especially when considering all those slams he won without meeting top seeded players.

Nadal 19 slam break down:
Slams where he's faced Federer or Djokovic or both- 12
Slams where he's faced neither- 7

Federer 20 slam break down:
Slams where he's faced Nadal or Djokovic or both- 6
Slams where he's faced neither- 14

Uh oh...

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:48 am

Tenez wrote:Nadal... never was the best player of his generation....bar on clay maybe and even that is arguable.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by raiders_of_the_lost_ark Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:53 am

BEL19VE wrote:
Tenez wrote:

Nadal 19 slam break down:
Slams where he's faced Federer or Djokovic or both- 12
Slams where he's faced neither- 7

Federer 20 slam break down:
Slams where he's faced Nadal or Djokovic or both- 6
Slams where he's faced neither- 14

Uh oh...

What a dumb point, even by your extremely low standards amri. Tenez said 'top-seeded players' not Nadal and Djoko who are 5/6 year younger and hence will be a different gen player. 

About the point of winning slams without facing top seeds: If some player gives himself enough chance to go deep into the tournaments in long career thought, they are bound to get lucky on some occasions. Nadal's' last 2 USopen are definitely lucky. But he took his chance that he got. So only fair.

Fed has himself to blame for screwing up min 3 slams and min 2 WTF and min 5 TMS. 

Comparatively, Nadal hasn't screwed up any chances that he got. 

Djo has got advantage of being the youngest of the 3 and not having a rivals from his generation who would be chansing him constantly for titles. Murray Nishikori and Delpo came close for a tiny bit, but no more. Now the onus is on the next ones with likes of Thiem/Tsisi/Medvedev to throw him off.

raiders_of_the_lost_ark

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:19 am

I see Federer's under challenge now from Greta Thunberg and the dopey climate change crew. What a bunch of utter idiots and (mostly) hypocrites.

Ricky Gervais ascended to legend status last week.

bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:26 am

@ROTLA

Tenez just said that it's 'arguable' whether Nadal is 'maybe' the best player of his generation on clay, and you criticise my accurate presentation of some statistics as low standards? Laugh

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:02 pm

ROTLA wrote:Tenez said 'top-seeded players' not Nadal and Djoko
Ok, true. So let's do slams won where you've faced someone seeded 4th or higher:
Nadal: 15 out of 19
Federer: 12 out of 20

I haven't cherry picked 4th seed as the cut off in Nadal's favour, in fact if you use 5th seed instead, Nadal is on 18/19.

I'm not necessarily saying these statistics are significant. If you think they aren't, take it up with Tenez, who has claimed that not facing top seeded players means you don't deserve many Grand Slams.

Really disappointed that Tenez would denigrate Federer in such a manner, I'm cut up about it.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:14 pm

BEL19VE wrote:@ROTLA

Tenez just said that it's 'arguable' whether Nadal is 'maybe' the best player of his generation on clay, and you criticise my accurate presentation of some statistics as low standards? Laugh

yes I don;t think Nadal plays the best tennis on clay. On the day Djoko is better for sure. But Nadal certainly was the most consistent. Same with his slams really. He was consistent enough to accumulate enough slams but neither was he ever the best on grass or HC and was hugely helped by a nivelling of surface conditions. and You know that!

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:19 pm

BEL19VE wrote:
ROTLA wrote:Tenez said 'top-seeded players' not Nadal and Djoko
Ok, true. So let's do slams won where you've faced someone seeded 4th or higher:
Nadal: 15 out of 19
Federer: 12 out of 20
That's cherry picking again. You perfectly know that Nadal has won his last 4 slams without meeting Djokovic or federer to whom he loses regularly (bar once under storm). You also know he won a couple of US opens without playing top 10 seeds.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:14 pm

Tenez wrote:
That's cherry picking again. You perfectly know that Nadal has won his last 4 slams without meeting Djokovic or federer
Not sure if you noticed, but I posted those exact statistics above. Scroll up and I've done a breakdown of number of Slams won vs big 3.

Tenez wrote:
You also know he won a couple of US opens without playing top 10 seeds.
Nadal has won 18 out of 19 Grand Slams where he's had to face someone 5th seed or higher. You don't know what you're talking about I'm afraid.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:19 am

Félix v RUBLEV will be interesting later today. The ultimate retriever v the ultimate attacking player. Rublev has a couple years more experience and they should help him. 

I'll follow the score.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by raiders_of_the_lost_ark Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:54 pm

raiders_of_the_lost_ark wrote:For me, this is the breakthrough year for the youngsters. And this does not just hope, they made good progress last year, this time it's their turn. A bit of help with the draw where they will only have to beat one of the Fed/Nadal/Djoko en route to the title.

Nothing more, just similar help like the 3 themselves got when they won their first slams in 2003/05/08 respectively. This is all the new gen needs now.

My best bets are Tsitsipas and Theim ( mostly clay ).

This is what is happening with Thiem for the last 3 slam finals he has played. Having to beat both Nadal and Djoko in all 3. Only Stan has done it. Plus he wastes precious energy giving away  sets to unknown players en route. 

Tsitsipas was highly disappointing this AO.

raiders_of_the_lost_ark

Back to top Go down

Post by raiders_of_the_lost_ark Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:04 pm

Anong youngsters, two of them is needed to dislodge the top-2. If to take Nadal out and other to remove Djoko. Had Tsitsipas take out Djoko, we would have a have great final and 2 guys deserving their titles.

Djo has stayed on top for far too long..far far for the kind of boring tennis he has.

raiders_of_the_lost_ark

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down