Our Tennis Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» I Just Can't Help Believing!
Is Nadal playing the best tennis he's ever played? EmptySat Mar 23, 2024 9:00 pm by noleisthebest

» The Bullshit of Rafael Nadal
Is Nadal playing the best tennis he's ever played? EmptyMon Feb 12, 2024 12:15 am by Daniel2

» Why Trump's 'tough' stance on radical Islam... could lead to more terrorism
Is Nadal playing the best tennis he's ever played? EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:32 am by Daniel2

» Missing Madeline 10 years on..
Is Nadal playing the best tennis he's ever played? EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:31 am by Daniel2

» '15 Dubious Weak Era Records'
Is Nadal playing the best tennis he's ever played? EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:06 am by Daniel2

» AO 2024 - Sinner baby!!
Is Nadal playing the best tennis he's ever played? EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:05 am by Daniel2

» Paris Masters
Is Nadal playing the best tennis he's ever played? EmptyMon Nov 06, 2023 9:47 pm by noleisthebest

» Alvarez could bring me back to tennis
Is Nadal playing the best tennis he's ever played? EmptyWed Sep 20, 2023 10:25 am by raiders_of_the_lost_ark

» IDEMOOOOOOO! ! ! !
Is Nadal playing the best tennis he's ever played? EmptyMon Sep 11, 2023 9:47 am by noleisthebest

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

Is Nadal playing the best tennis he's ever played?

+9
bogbrush
Slippy
barrystar
legendkillar
noleisthebest
N2D2L
naxroy
Daniel2
luvsports!
13 posters

Go down

Is Nadal playing the best tennis he's ever played? Empty Is Nadal playing the best tennis he's ever played?

Post by luvsports! Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:59 pm

Just asking the question. It is certainly the most aggressive he has ever been.
This may enrage Daniel.

https://www.theroar.com.au/2019/01/25/is-this-the-best-nadal-has-ever-played/

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

Is Nadal playing the best tennis he's ever played? Empty Re: Is Nadal playing the best tennis he's ever played?

Post by Daniel2 Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:25 pm

No, he isn't. And it doesn't enrage me - it's just nonsense.

He's simply had another shockingly easy draw (honestly, why is common sense explanation always missing?) - whereas Fed met someone who played out of his skin early on.  If he meets Djok, odds are he'll just be made to look stupid.  But he's got no competition.

Daniel2

Back to top Go down

Is Nadal playing the best tennis he's ever played? Empty Re: Is Nadal playing the best tennis he's ever played?

Post by naxroy Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:53 pm

nadal is 32, he cannot play like when he was 22

as most of you like attacking tennis, it is normal that you consider this nadal to be playing better than ever

I think he is doing now what is best for him... like he has always done. difference is what is good for him now is not the same to what was good for him back then

naxroy

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:21 am

Daniel, I agree Nadal will lose to Djokovic, but he did just play the player who knocked out Fed in R4, and he played very well in his 6-2 6-4 6-0 win. You can't simultaneously say Federer had a very tough R4 draw and also not give Nadal some credit for this win.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by naxroy Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:43 am

DEC1M7 wrote:Daniel, I agree Nadal will lose to Djokovic, but he did just play the player who knocked out Fed in R4, and he played very well in his 6-2 6-4 6-0 win. You can't simultaneously say Federer had a very tough R4 draw and also not give Nadal some credit for this win.

of course he can, he has been doing it for years

naxroy

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:27 am

What I saw in Oz (just a few games vs De Minotaur) was not that impressive.
Nadal struggled to get to fast balls and missed a few sitters.

Having said all this, I am sure he has plenty left in his tank which why he skipped all intro tournaments (I won't go into the draw, it's obvious) plus an extra day of rest, so he'll be again (despite not being the first seed who should have the extra day of rest) in the best possible shape for the final.

Where he will, just as he did in Wimbledon last year, probably play excellent all-court tennis with a few tweaks.

So no surprises there.

Nole, on the other hand, certainly is better now than in Wimbledon.

For starters, he is more confident.

My only concern is he is carrying an injury as he usually doesn't drop sets in Oz that easily.
In which case he will still be able to beat Nadal, but it will have to be with the help of God Almighty.

All in all, of course Nadal is playing the tennis of his career.
All his shots are better now than in the past. That is obvious, no?

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:31 am

Does aggressive tennis actually equate to best tennis? Not in my book. 

I don't believe he is playing his best tennis. He has been more vulnerable now than he's ever been, however he's had to play more aggressive and take more risk. The thing is the rest of the field have not taken on board the same approach. 

The field have been used to playing long drawn out points. Once they start to become more aggressive, the penny will drop. Soderling was the first to show the way and Djokovic took that incentive further being able not to just to be more aggressive but also outlast him. If you look at Thiem who on clay has beaten "new Nadal" had to have both the stamina and aggression to beat him.

It's spoken about how experience makes players better. If anything it makes them smarter and the field have to get smarter.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:02 am

I have not seen him play apart from a few snatched minutes - how far forward is he standing?  I always think that's an interesting factor for him.  I doubt very much that he's playing his best ever tennis - I reckon you'd look to 2008 or 2013, possibly USO 2010 for that.  He was also excellent in 2011, just that Djoko was even better.

If he faces Djoko in the final and the latter is on reasonable form he will likely need more than just his 'new' more aggressive game because it's usually not enough - and his trouble is that Djoko is also pretty good at dealing with the 'old' Nadal.

Their matches have evolved - I thought Wimbledon SF 2018 was a classic compared to the grind fests at USO 2011 and Aus 2012.

barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by Slippy Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:22 pm

He’s been utterly dominant Barry. His return position is far more aggressive and he’s bullied everyone he’s faced so far with first strike tennis off his much improved serve and return. It’s obviously hard to compare but I’d say this is a considerably enhanced version of Rafa to anything we’ve seen off clay for many years. It’s clear he’s worked very hard with Moyà to change his game.

Now, of course, Novak is the ultimate test. It may be that Novak’s remorseless retrieving and consistency of hitting will break down the new Rafa but I’m not convinced. Rafa’s backhand has been devastating and his game style appears better designed to avoid playing to Novak’s strength.

Normally, I’d have Novak as clear favourite against Rafa off clay. However, on this occasion, I think he requires Rafa to be quite a long way off the level he’s maintained for the last few matches. I’m picking Rafa in 4 sets.

Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:14 pm

How do we know? He has to play Djokovic first.

bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:21 pm

Behave yourself. Nadal needs to up his levels if he's going to beat this Djokovic in a BO5. As BB said in the other thread. Djokovic will chew up the aggression and force Nadal to go toe to toe.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Emancipator Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:37 pm

He looks immense.

Djokovic will have to be on top form to beat him.

50:50

Emancipator

Back to top Go down

Post by naxroy Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:50 pm

nadal best tennis was 2010

naxroy

Back to top Go down

Post by luvsports! Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:08 pm

He beat Djoko in 4 sets in 2010 at the US Open. 
This was before Djoko 2.0 in 2011 remember.

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel2 Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:03 pm

Slippy, my grandma could be dominant with the draws Nadal has had.  It's really not hard to grasp.

Daniel2

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:38 pm

No, he is not playing his best.  He is making the best of the predicament he is in (old age).

As Daniel pointed out, his grandma would have dominated the opposition Rafa has faced this AO.

I fully expect Nole to quite easily take care of him.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by Slippy Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:34 pm

The real problem for him will be when they bring in a shot clock, particularly on faster surfaces like the Australian Open. There’s no way he’ll be able to deal with attacking players like Berdych or Tsitsipas then. As Tenez has been telling us for years, Rafa won’t have any chance when he’s forced to play more quickly!

Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel2 Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:10 pm

He hasn't been forced to play quicker.  I keep saying this - but the rule still isn't be enforced.

Daniel2

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:12 pm

Well he is trying to shorten points anyway, avoiding mega 50 shot rallies on this AO.

Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel2 Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:16 pm

My, this looks sillier by the second.

Daniel2

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:22 pm

Jahu wrote:Well he is trying to shorten points anyway, avoiding mega 50 shot rallies on this AO.

Maybe he would have done the same 10 years ago had we have that shot clock working.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel2 Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:44 pm

Daniel2 wrote:No, he isn't. And it doesn't enrage me - it's just nonsense.

He's simply had another shockingly easy draw (honestly, why is common sense explanation always missing?) - whereas Fed met someone who played out of his skin early on.  If he meets Djok, odds are he'll just be made to look stupid.  But he's got no competition.

Devil

Daniel2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down