Our Tennis Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» I Just Can't Help Believing!
federer - Wilander: On Federer’s Balls, Beating Nadal at RG And More.... EmptySat Mar 23, 2024 9:00 pm by noleisthebest

» The Bullshit of Rafael Nadal
federer - Wilander: On Federer’s Balls, Beating Nadal at RG And More.... EmptyMon Feb 12, 2024 12:15 am by Daniel2

» Why Trump's 'tough' stance on radical Islam... could lead to more terrorism
federer - Wilander: On Federer’s Balls, Beating Nadal at RG And More.... EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:32 am by Daniel2

» Missing Madeline 10 years on..
federer - Wilander: On Federer’s Balls, Beating Nadal at RG And More.... EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:31 am by Daniel2

» '15 Dubious Weak Era Records'
federer - Wilander: On Federer’s Balls, Beating Nadal at RG And More.... EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:06 am by Daniel2

» AO 2024 - Sinner baby!!
federer - Wilander: On Federer’s Balls, Beating Nadal at RG And More.... EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:05 am by Daniel2

» Paris Masters
federer - Wilander: On Federer’s Balls, Beating Nadal at RG And More.... EmptyMon Nov 06, 2023 9:47 pm by noleisthebest

» Alvarez could bring me back to tennis
federer - Wilander: On Federer’s Balls, Beating Nadal at RG And More.... EmptyWed Sep 20, 2023 10:25 am by raiders_of_the_lost_ark

» IDEMOOOOOOO! ! ! !
federer - Wilander: On Federer’s Balls, Beating Nadal at RG And More.... EmptyMon Sep 11, 2023 9:47 am by noleisthebest

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

Wilander: On Federer’s Balls, Beating Nadal at RG And More....

+3
N2D2L
legendkillar
noleisthebest
7 posters

Go down

federer - Wilander: On Federer’s Balls, Beating Nadal at RG And More.... Empty Wilander: On Federer’s Balls, Beating Nadal at RG And More....

Post by noleisthebest Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:21 am

I generally like Mats’ insights and comments, probably my favourite commentator.

Not sure he was right to say Fed had no balls to avoid clay this season...that was pretty stupid from someone of his calibre...maybe he just wanted to make a splash.

From Tennis World:

Mats Wilander criticized Roger Federer a lot in the recent times. A few weeks ago, commenting the Swiss's decision on not playing the French Open, Wilander said Federer has no balls. Now, looking back on his quotes, in an interview to Aargauer Zeitung, the former Swedish player clarified: 'At that moment I apologised to him for this expression. Today champions lack in many sports, who have hearts and balls. Many are winning. And then I said that Federer could have balls and hearts, but he will always reduce to the minimum against Rafael Nadal. It was then that he always lost to him on grass, but he never tried anything. Look: Roger Federer is not perfect, even if he is Swiss and you do perfect things, watches, for example. Roger is not perfect. He knows it, we know it', Wilander said.

'I have more respect for Federer than any other player in history. That's why I am also more critical because I want more. Because I expect more. What I really want to see is like Federer can beat Nadal in Paris during a five-set match. Is it possible? I do not have an idea. But it would definitely be the greatest tennis match ever.'
Wilander also added: 'Everything seems so easy with him, but believe me: it's not like this, even for Federer. He was already 35 years old when he got injured for the first time. Many people thought that he was done. But Federer did something completely different. He told himself: or I come back as a best player or I don't do it at all. And that's what he exactly did. His emotions after winning in Australia last year showed everyone what special player he is.'

I can’t see Federer wanting to play on clay ever again, esp best of five.
We’ll be lucky if he plays in 2019 at all.

Last edited by noleisthebest on Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

federer - Wilander: On Federer’s Balls, Beating Nadal at RG And More.... Empty Re: Wilander: On Federer’s Balls, Beating Nadal at RG And More....

Post by legendkillar Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:45 am

Wouldn't call it stupid. More ill-informed. Thing is if you are going to call someone out on balls, you yourself have to somewhat epitomise that. Not sure he does. On top of that Roger is still rolling out on court at 37!

I see what he was saying, however Federer is being smart. Why burn your body out on a surface that doesn't lend itself to short matches.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

federer - Wilander: On Federer’s Balls, Beating Nadal at RG And More.... Empty Re: Wilander: On Federer’s Balls, Beating Nadal at RG And More....

Post by N2D2L Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:38 pm

If my memory serves me right, Wilander also famously said those exact same words back in 2006 when Federer lost to Nadal?
Regardless, it's clear Federer is making intelligent scheduling decisions. Nadal needs to learn from that as he gets older. I'd like to see Rafa play a lot less in the Autumn, and also not play at all between the Aus Open and IW. Maybe when he's older skip IW and Miami altogether.

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:37 pm

Federer would be mad to clay anyone on clay again. 

He’s not mad. He’ll never play on clay on tour again.

bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:46 pm

We'll argue about Federer's balls when Nadal is hiding from everything away from FO at age 35.
Wilander is an idiot.  

Although looking at this weak ass current generation...  Federer would have a chance on clay against anyone but Nadal atm.  Though it would kill his chances for grass season.

Daniel

Back to top Go down

Post by naxroy Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:55 pm

Journalists have to talk

and they talk too much

but no need to take him too seriously

federer has nothing to proof at this point... and neither has nadal

naxroy

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:55 pm

In general Mats is very pro Fed and been that for decades, so I'll forgive this from him  Big Grin

Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:08 pm

I don’t know if anyone noticed the bunp Federer had above his left eyebrow during Wimbledon,

It reminded me of the one when he had mono.

I don’t know if these bumps are a symtom of mono, but mono could explain Fed’s physical fading during matches this year (even the best of three vs Kokkinakos, Coric etc.

I can’t remember the details, but it took him quote long back in 2008to have it doagnosed, which was weird.

Anyway, we’ll see how he plays in the US.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:12 pm

Regarding this comment:

What I really want to see is like Federer can beat Nadal in Paris during a five-set match. Is it possible? I do not have an idea. But it would definitely be the greatest tennis match ever.“

I don’t really see why a match vs. Nadal in RG would be the greatest.
It would only be the physically toughest, and for that we have weightlifting, marathon running etc...

We have already seen the greatest match and it happened in AO17.

Mats is the latest in the long line of ex players who can’t conceal envy.

Tough!

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:17 pm

While on the topic of Fed, just read that Mirka was apparently engaged to be married to some rich Arab sheik while she paired Rog in Sydney Olympics.

Mirka, the dark horse!

Who would’ve thunk!!! Big Grin

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down