Search
 
 

Display results as :
 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Time to go?
Yesterday at 10:04 am by Slippy

» WTF - London 2018 (and maybe a little bit of 'nextgen')
Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:07 pm by AceofDeath

» Paris Masters 2018
Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:00 am by Daniel

» Why has American and Australian Tennis Declined?
Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:30 pm by bogbrush

» Basel and Vienna 2018
Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:24 pm by Jahu

» Wimbleodn adopts final set TBs
Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:43 pm by Emancipator

» ATP 1000 Shanghai Masters.
Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:42 pm by Tenez

» Guerrilla, not gorilla, warfare: Fired tennis analyst who nearly died to have his day in court
Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:55 am by bogbrush

» How good is Stefanos Tsitsipas?
Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:11 am by Tenez

November 2018
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
   1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
2627282930  

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum


The Open Championship

Go down

The Open Championship

Post by gallery play on Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:39 pm

What a joy to have the Open at the great Carnoustie golf course. After the freak conditions at the USO, the slight predictability of Augusta, this course brings out the best of the game and players. You can be either a long hitter, short shotmaker, putting god or what so ever, this course levels it all out.

With the help of the rain yesterday this third day turns out to be the traditional moving day. Birdies and eagles are flying everywhere.

My eyes are on Tommy Fleetwood in particular, he should be the next European player to win a slam. Meanwhile Tiger's having a great third round, he even finds fairways with his driver.  Yikes

@LK: are you watching?

gallery play

Posts : 2620
Join date : 2012-09-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Open Championship

Post by legendkillar on Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:36 pm

GP!

I am indeed. What an amazing day's golf. Almost perfect scorecards galore. Saw Rose hit that 64. Majestic golf. 

Story of the day will be Woods. All his putts have had the look of going in which doesn't bode well for the rest of the field on Sunday. I am willing Woods on. Flawless and neat card. Putt on the 9th was immense. Chappell started with 3 birdies in a row and is now falling away. Speith's eagle 2 on the first was out of this world. Perfect drive. Fleetwood has started well. Watching him closely. 

McIlroy is struggling in a day when scores are high. Has to start making some birdies and quickly. 

Greens are playing beautifully. Top marks to the course for keeping them in immaculate conditions. Fairways are quick and giving plenty of yardage with the carry. 

Going to be a cracking end to the day smiley Mrs LK has resorted to the Ipad as she knows I am tuned in for the day because of how well the golf is going Winking

legendkillar

Posts : 2508
Join date : 2012-10-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Open Championship

Post by noleisthebest on Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:06 pm

Lucky you two...I wish I had some sport to watch...no tennis, even WC is over...


noleisthebest

Posts : 27239
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Open Championship

Post by legendkillar on Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:17 pm

Woods with a round of 66 which one bogey which would've been his first bogey free round since 2002! 

The par save at 18 was amazing! Must've felt like a birdie. Rest of the field will be looking at that clubhouse score and feel twitchy! 

McIlroy finally getting the birdie train started with one at the 6th. Fleetwood with a bogey at 7. First in 25 holes. 

Sunday is going to be pulsating for sure.

legendkillar

Posts : 2508
Join date : 2012-10-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Open Championship

Post by legendkillar on Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:19 pm

noleisthebest wrote:Lucky you two...I wish I had some sport to watch...no tennis, even WC is over...


I would recommend exploring golf NITB smiley 

The Beeb will have highlights tonight if it's of interest. Will be ad free. Many of the complaints many of my fellow players make when Sky obtained all the rights.

legendkillar

Posts : 2508
Join date : 2012-10-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Open Championship

Post by gallery play on Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:24 pm

legendkillar wrote:GP!

I am indeed. What an amazing day's golf. Almost perfect scorecards galore. Saw Rose hit that 64. Majestic golf. 

Story of the day will be Woods. All his putts have had the look of going in which doesn't bode well for the rest of the field on Sunday. I am willing Woods on. Flawless and neat card. Putt on the 9th was immense. Chappell started with 3 birdies in a row and is now falling away. Speith's eagle 2 on the first was out of this world. Perfect drive. Fleetwood has started well. Watching him closely. 

McIlroy is struggling in a day when scores are high. Has to start making some birdies and quickly. 

Greens are playing beautifully. Top marks to the course for keeping them in immaculate conditions. Fairways are quick and giving plenty of yardage with the carry. 

Going to be a cracking end to the day smiley Mrs LK has resorted to the Ipad as she knows I am tuned in for the day because of how well the golf is going Winking
It sure is. I actually feel a bit sorry for him because this easily could have been a round of 63. I expect a couple of guys to finish 10 under today so winning will be very difficult for Tiger.

Rory looks so unsettled or even restless. The greens suit him but he keeps on making mistakes. His driving still is exellent though.

I have no idea how this will end, hope it won't be Spieth...

gallery play

Posts : 2620
Join date : 2012-09-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Open Championship

Post by gallery play on Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:16 pm

So it looks like 9 under will be the leading score after 3 days. Spieth is looking very good to win. The wind will pick up tomorrow though, so anything can happen. 
Shame both Rory and Tommy are making too many bogeys. I hoped to see more Europeans in the mix, it's a links course after all. 

Nevertheless it's a very interesting Open: conditions keep on changing.

gallery play

Posts : 2620
Join date : 2012-09-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Open Championship

Post by noleisthebest on Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:27 pm

legendkillar wrote:
noleisthebest wrote:Lucky you two...I wish I had some sport to watch...no tennis, even WC is over...


I would recommend exploring golf NITB smiley 

The Beeb will have highlights tonight if it's of interest. Will be ad free. Many of the complaints many of my fellow players make when Sky obtained all the rights.

Went to the gym instead....where I saw it on the big screen, beautiful scenery.

Golf looks a lot more fun to play than to watch (more so than other sports), hard to appreciate properly otherwise.

noleisthebest

Posts : 27239
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Open Championship

Post by legendkillar on Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:39 pm

gallery play wrote:So it looks like 9 under will be the leading score after 3 days. Spieth is looking very good to win. The wind will pick up tomorrow though, so anything can happen. 
Shame both Rory and Tommy are making too many bogeys. I hoped to see more Europeans in the mix, it's a links course after all. 

Nevertheless it's a very interesting Open: conditions keep on changing.

Can't believe Rory ran 2 bogeys towards the end there! The course is made for him. From holes 12-15 he drove 1,800+ yards!! Obscene numbers. Fleetwood's driving let him down massively today as did his putting. 

I reckon anyone from -5 shoots 64 they'll win. What was so impressive about Tiger was using the Driver on more wider and longer fairways. I know the commentators were lamenting his lack of use of the driver, but even how quick they were, no need as the carry took the ball past the bunkers and deep rough. 

Glad it stayed at -9. Many are in with a shot tomorrow.

If Tiger goes out in 32 in the first 9, reckon he will be in with a shout at the end.

legendkillar

Posts : 2508
Join date : 2012-10-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Open Championship

Post by legendkillar on Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:42 pm

noleisthebest wrote:
legendkillar wrote:
noleisthebest wrote:Lucky you two...I wish I had some sport to watch...no tennis, even WC is over...


I would recommend exploring golf NITB smiley 

The Beeb will have highlights tonight if it's of interest. Will be ad free. Many of the complaints many of my fellow players make when Sky obtained all the rights.

Went to the gym instead....where I saw it on the big screen, beautiful scenery.

Golf looks a lot more fun to play than to watch (more so than other sports), hard to appreciate properly otherwise.

Indeed it is. I would always recommend playing it. Much beauty in refinement as there is with unorthodox. 

Literally you against the course. At one with nature. Might not have the gladiatorial element as tennis does, but every bit as skilful though.

legendkillar

Posts : 2508
Join date : 2012-10-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Open Championship

Post by noleisthebest on Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:51 pm

legendkillar wrote:
noleisthebest wrote:
legendkillar wrote:
noleisthebest wrote:Lucky you two...I wish I had some sport to watch...no tennis, even WC is over...
I would recommend exploring golf NITB smiley 
The Beeb will have highlights tonight if it's of interest. Will be ad free. Many of the complaints many of my fellow players make when Sky obtained all the rights.
Went to the gym instead....where I saw it on the big screen, beautiful scenery.
Golf looks a lot more fun to play than to watch (more so than other sports), hard to appreciate properly otherwise.
Indeed it is. I would always recommend playing it. Much beauty in refinement as there is with unorthodox. 

Literally you against the course. At one with nature. Might not have the gladiatorial element as tennis does, but every bit as skilful though.
Wow!
Now that you out it like that, sounds like my kind of sport.

There are a few cool courts around where I live, but I think you have to be a member etc....the snobbery ticket associated with golf is what originally turned me off it.

But I would def like to give it a try.

noleisthebest

Posts : 27239
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Open Championship

Post by legendkillar on Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:52 am

noleisthebest wrote:
legendkillar wrote:
noleisthebest wrote:
legendkillar wrote:
noleisthebest wrote:Lucky you two...I wish I had some sport to watch...no tennis, even WC is over...
I would recommend exploring golf NITB smiley 
The Beeb will have highlights tonight if it's of interest. Will be ad free. Many of the complaints many of my fellow players make when Sky obtained all the rights.
Went to the gym instead....where I saw it on the big screen, beautiful scenery.
Golf looks a lot more fun to play than to watch (more so than other sports), hard to appreciate properly otherwise.
Indeed it is. I would always recommend playing it. Much beauty in refinement as there is with unorthodox. 

Literally you against the course. At one with nature. Might not have the gladiatorial element as tennis does, but every bit as skilful though.
Wow!
Now that you out it like that, sounds like my kind of sport.

There are a few cool courts around where I live, but I think you have to be a member etc....the snobbery ticket associated with golf is what originally turned me off it.

But I would def like to give it a try.

It can truly be magical. I kid you not it can be truly exhilarating and relaxing at the same time. I played at Tandridge Golf Club (in Oxted in Kent) one crisp autumn morning and it was surreal. The course is next to some woods an some dense mist was across the course and for a few minutes it felt magical. More so when a deer ran across the course with her young into the surrounding woods. I was like wow, I wouldn't have that in any other sport where I felt so at one with my surroundings. Similarly when I played at East Brighton Golf Course which is right by the coast and you can see the stretches of sea for miles and a summer's evening that is spectacular seeing the sun reflection kissing the sea. 

When I first started working, I worked with a lady who in her late 50's played golf and had such a competitive spirit and would play the early morning tee off times in tournaments and then rock up at work and totally unflustered and ready to attack the day. She had the most drive I had seen of any golfer male or female. She loved the challenge of herself against the course and loved competing. 

There are female teams out there, and yes I won't lie you do see the BMW brigade, but you can block that out when you are on the course and the competitive juices get going. Purely because like with any sport, doesn't matter where you are from. In the middle of battle nothing matters.

Give it a go. You'll never play the exact shot twice. You'll get a real sense of satisfaction for example from saving a par after poor shots or from sinking a 30ft putt for birdie. Helps you appreciate the skill involved. And also thinking yourself around a course is quite stimulating and rewarding. More so when you see an approach shot which if you play for example on the shelf at the back of a green and you hit it and it rolls down to a few feet from the hole is so satisfying when others don't see it.

legendkillar

Posts : 2508
Join date : 2012-10-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Open Championship

Post by legendkillar on Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:55 am

Interesting GP the wind is expected to get up today. Calm with the mornings play, but the forecast is suggesting winds to get up in the mid afternoon. 

Could be a twist still yet.

legendkillar

Posts : 2508
Join date : 2012-10-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Open Championship

Post by noleisthebest on Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:07 pm

Thanks for the encouragement, LK.

Golf sounds like an adventure, I’ll def give it a try.

noleisthebest

Posts : 27239
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Open Championship

Post by gallery play on Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:17 pm

legendkillar wrote:Interesting GP the wind is expected to get up today. Calm with the mornings play, but the forecast is suggesting winds to get up in the mid afternoon. 

Could be a twist still yet.
YAY! Well done Moli!! Glad the Claret Jug stays in Europe. We could use a boost for upcoming Ryder Cup.

The wind wasn't that much in play LK. And you were right about the final score. I expected a lower winning score and i think many players did too.

Molinari played solid as a rock, he was the only player with a clean card and it paid off. If there's one player who plays within himself it's Molinari.
Tiger was so close, it seemed to me the nerves got the better of him on the second 9. That's what happens to older players, they tend to get nervy. I really hope he'll win another slam. He's so much more likable these days. A true phenomenon.
Tommy had a bad day, but he'll be back. And Rory...well he's the most curious case in Golf. I love his swing and his flamboyant drives but the guy can't hole short puts and can't hit a close wedge if his life depends on it. I look at him for 4 days and see he does something wrong on  every hole and yet he finishes tied second..really amazing and a testiment to his talent actually.
Spieth made my day , i don't really like him. He uncharacteristically fell apart on the last 5 holes, really weird to see.

All and all it was a great championship, one of the best slams of the last years, i would say.

gallery play

Posts : 2620
Join date : 2012-09-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Open Championship

Post by legendkillar on Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:59 pm

Hey GP,

Cor I've managed to catch my breath. What another cracking day of golf. After all the debacle of the US Open, this was truly an amazing tournament. The course had everything for all the players.

Molinari was immense. Truly an exceptional round of golf. More so in the final round to post a bogey free round was the round of the tournament. His iron play was exceptional and his distance control was immaculate. Truly deserved champion and as you say glad to see the Claret Jug back in the hands of a European.

Woods. What a tournament. He was on his way GP. I truly felt he had it. That front 9 was Tiger of old. Course management was fantastic. Made some real clutch putts. His par saves on 8,9 and 10 were inspired. Such a shame the double bogey and bogey at the 11th and 12th. If he kept a clean card, would've made the play off. He absolutely didn't disgrace himself at all and it was great seeing him back in the running for the Majors.

Rory. Grrrrr. His short play is really letting him down. If he can get that started again, he'll be amongst the Majors. Really annoying seeing him cracking drives and not following up with the short iron or wedge. 

If Tommy's putter was as hot as Friday, he would be champion. Went out in 26 putts on Friday and the other 3 days above 30. Really has to work on it. 

Spieth went into meltdown. It wasn't clicking for him on the driving. Wasn't finding the fairways and his putter deserted him. Don't think he made a birdie today. 

The winds picked up just as the last groups came out and then poof, vanished. Commentators picked on how weird that was. 

All in all it was corker of tournament. There was something in it for all which is what you want. You don't want courses that are goofy and don't reward good golf. Onwards to Bellerive which will interesting.

legendkillar

Posts : 2508
Join date : 2012-10-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Open Championship

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum