Search
 
 

Display results as :
 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» WTF - London 2018 (and maybe a little bit of 'nextgen')
Today at 8:42 pm by Daniel

» Paris Masters 2018
Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:00 am by Daniel

» Why has American and Australian Tennis Declined?
Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:30 pm by bogbrush

» Basel and Vienna 2018
Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:24 pm by Jahu

» Wimbleodn adopts final set TBs
Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:43 pm by Emancipator

» ATP 1000 Shanghai Masters.
Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:42 pm by Tenez

» Guerrilla, not gorilla, warfare: Fired tennis analyst who nearly died to have his day in court
Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:55 am by bogbrush

» How good is Stefanos Tsitsipas?
Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:11 am by Tenez

» Murray and his future.....
Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:15 pm by mcekovic

November 2018
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
   1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
2627282930  

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum


Wimbledon, Day 4

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Re: Wimbledon, Day 4

Post by legendkillar on Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:35 pm

Someone next door to me must be. Purely for the "How many times does he have to bounce that f*cking ball" comment I heard, though it could be Djokovic too.

legendkillar

Posts : 2506
Join date : 2012-10-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wimbledon, Day 4

Post by DEC1M7 on Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:37 pm

legendkillar wrote:Someone next door to me must be. Purely for the "How many times does he have to bounce that f*cking ball" comment I heard, though it could be Djokovic too.
Djokovic

DEC1M7

Posts : 4845
Join date : 2013-05-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wimbledon, Day 4

Post by noleisthebest on Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:39 pm

Shapo-Paire and Fognini-Bolelli should be a treat!

noleisthebest

Posts : 27239
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wimbledon, Day 4

Post by Slippy on Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:08 pm

naxroy wrote:
Tenez wrote:
naxroy wrote:"Fed is the unluckiest champ I know."
Nadal got 2 time warnings: 1 before play even started 1 while receiving...and you are telling no-one cares?


very well done by the umpire to warn him if that was the case. what else do you want?
I’d guess Tenez thinks that after that warning Rafa should have had a serve removed the next time he went over 25 seconds, a serve removed the time after and so on. Rafa couldn’t care less about a token warning. It is the removal of his first serve which will force him to speed up.

Slippy

Posts : 415
Join date : 2016-10-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wimbledon, Day 4

Post by noleisthebest on Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:08 pm

Shapo is so relaxed in matches...like he's playing in a club night.

noleisthebest

Posts : 27239
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wimbledon, Day 4

Post by noleisthebest on Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:15 pm

Paire is being pathetic tanking his last service game, not moving at all.
If he is that injured, he should retire...not degrade the opponent and the crowd.

Grow some mettle, not that silly beard, Benoit!

noleisthebest

Posts : 27239
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wimbledon, Day 4

Post by raiders_of_the_lost_ark on Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:17 pm

Jahu wrote:Cilic going home...
 Both winners of the ATP500 Halle  & Queens Croatians Coric & Cilic showing great form coming into Wimbledon.. losing early..

Grass is the  most unpredictable surface. The most difficult to dominate.

raiders_of_the_lost_ark

Posts : 3180
Join date : 2012-07-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wimbledon, Day 4

Post by naxroy on Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:19 pm

Slippy wrote:
naxroy wrote:
Tenez wrote:
naxroy wrote:"Fed is the unluckiest champ I know."
Nadal got 2 time warnings: 1 before play even started 1 while receiving...and you are telling no-one cares?


very well done by the umpire to warn him if that was the case. what else do you want?
I’d guess Tenez thinks that after that warning Rafa should have had a serve removed the next time he went over 25 seconds, a serve removed the time after and so on. Rafa couldn’t care less about a token warning. It is the removal of his first serve which will force him to speed up.


Agree, only if umpires force him to, he will speed up

naxroy

Posts : 720
Join date : 2017-07-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wimbledon, Day 4

Post by noleisthebest on Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:20 pm

raiders_of_the_lost_ark wrote:
Jahu wrote:Cilic going home...
 Both winners of the ATP500 Halle  & Queens Croatians Coric & Cilic showing great form coming into Wimbledon.. losing early..

Grass is the  most unpredictable surface. The most difficult to dominate.

Not really....

Just that Cilic and Coric are mediocre grass talent. They both win on muscle.
Coric won in Halle because Fed was dead tired...never did anything on grass before...

Cilic has a good serve and a simple consistent baseline game...and that is certainly not enough to dominate on grass. One needs good hands and variety these days i.e. proper talent...like...Fed!

Hopefully, Shapo will take over the torch.

noleisthebest

Posts : 27239
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wimbledon, Day 4

Post by noleisthebest on Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:27 pm

Great battle kindled between the awoken Paire and Shapo on ct 3.

So much skill on display, a pleasure to watch.


No shot-clock needed, either. Cool

noleisthebest

Posts : 27239
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wimbledon, Day 4

Post by Tenez on Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:36 pm

raiders_of_the_lost_ark wrote:
Jahu wrote:Cilic going home...
 Both winners of the ATP500 Halle  & Queens Croatians Coric & Cilic showing great form coming into Wimbledon.. losing early..

Grass is the  most unpredictable surface. The most difficult to dominate.

It depends.....looks like clay is the toughest for the rest of the field.

The fact is winning on grass relies a bit more on talent whereas on clay it can be simply about being the fittest.

So for Nadal it is easier to win on clay....whereas for Federer grass is easier.

Tenez

Posts : 19518
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wimbledon, Day 4

Post by Tenez on Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:42 pm

Slippy wrote:[I’d guess Tenez thinks that after that warning Rafa should have had a serve removed the next time he went over 25 seconds, a serve removed the time after and so on. Rafa couldn’t care less about a token warning. It is the removal of his first serve which will force him to speed up.

I was not born yesterday. I know he pissed everybody off bit as long he has wagons of fanatics, there is little that can be done....but wait until he slips down the ranking. The vultures will have a feast!

Tenez

Posts : 19518
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wimbledon, Day 4

Post by Emancipator on Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:21 pm

Delighted to see Konta lose.

A 1D player with no subtlety whatsoever in her game. A complete bore to watch. Good riddance.

Oh and she looks like a horse too. Could produce a foal with Shapovalov. 

ghost 

Emancipator

Emancipator

Posts : 732
Join date : 2013-02-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wimbledon, Day 4

Post by legendkillar on Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:35 pm

I can’t say I’m a fan of Konta’s.

More because of the complaining she did at the change of ends to the umpire about Cibulkova moving when she was serving. God woman get a grip, put your big girl pants on and get on with it.

legendkillar

Posts : 2506
Join date : 2012-10-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wimbledon, Day 4

Post by Emancipator on Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:42 pm

Yes, she's a first class whinger.

Had a moan at the press for not sucking up to her at the FO. 

Oh and of course that whole drama from last year when she slipped on the grass, was absolutely fine, but acted like she needed a stretcher and air ambulance. Pathetic.


Last edited by Emancipator on Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:47 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : So disgusted my speeling and grammar deserted me)

Emancipator

Posts : 732
Join date : 2013-02-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wimbledon, Day 4

Post by legendkillar on Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:44 pm

Think she whinged recently at the Nottingham Open. Can’t remember what was about, but it was another whinge. 

Just a serial complainer now.

legendkillar

Posts : 2506
Join date : 2012-10-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wimbledon, Day 4

Post by Emancipator on Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:48 pm

Yup - she's got that whingeing face - u look at it and you know a moan is coming out.

Emancipator

Posts : 732
Join date : 2013-02-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wimbledon, Day 4

Post by Tenez on Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:12 pm

Shapo still too much of a basher.

Tenez

Posts : 19518
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wimbledon, Day 4

Post by naxroy on Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:12 pm

all in all, good match from nadal


Alex de Miñaur next

shall be interesting


Shapovalov sent home... I expected more from him in 2018 to be honest
Cilic out was indeed a shocker, didnt see that coming

Djokovic looking sharp, as well as Kyrgios... tough quarter there

naxroy

Posts : 720
Join date : 2017-07-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wimbledon, Day 4

Post by bogbrush on Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:15 pm

Emancipator wrote:Delighted to see Konta lose.

A 1D player with no subtlety whatsoever in her game. A complete bore to watch. Good riddance.

Oh and she looks like a horse too. Could produce a foal with Shapovalov. 

ghost 

Emancipator
The service motion betrays everything.

Talented players just do it, robots have to make ridiculous routines.

bogbrush

Posts : 2441
Join date : 2015-03-30
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wimbledon, Day 4

Post by noleisthebest on Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:36 pm

bogbrush wrote:
The service motion betrays everything.

Talented players just do it
, robots have to make ridiculous routines.

It does.
To quote Goran when asked to explain his serve: "It's simple. One, two!"

noleisthebest

Posts : 27239
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wimbledon, Day 4

Post by noleisthebest on Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:37 pm

Silly Shapo...

Well, while his mother is holding that stupid stuffed toy for her baby, he will remain a baby...

Glad Tsitsipas has more testosterone influence in his box. Half the talent, double the brain.

noleisthebest

Posts : 27239
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wimbledon, Day 4

Post by legendkillar on Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:46 pm

Clean performance by Edmund. Will get destroyed by now Djokovic. 

Agree with Mac even though he spouts rubbish that the big players "know how to finish the big points" 

True story.

legendkillar

Posts : 2506
Join date : 2012-10-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wimbledon, Day 4

Post by Daniel on Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:15 pm

The draw has really opened up for Federer.  He had a very tough run to the final before Coric and Cilic bit the bullet.   Nadal's tournament gets harder from QF assuming he doesn't lose before that since he's so one dimensional.

This youngster de Minaur isn't rubbish either.  Promising youngster.

Murray out before he even began - he's toast, Summerblues.

Daniel

Posts : 3634
Join date : 2013-11-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wimbledon, Day 4

Post by summerblues on Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:40 pm

On vacation. Have not seen any tennis - not live, not on TV Sad.

Just catching up. Fed's draw opening up. Rafa now looks like his SF would be harder. But if Rafa makes SF, he will be dangerous against anyone.

summerblues

Posts : 3926
Join date : 2012-05-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wimbledon, Day 4

Post by summerblues on Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:43 pm

Daniel wrote:Murray out before he even began - he's toast, Summerblues.
smiley

Well I hope you are right.  I just do not think we should be counting our chickens just yet.

summerblues

Posts : 3926
Join date : 2012-05-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wimbledon, Day 4

Post by summerblues on Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:45 pm

What is it?  2 wins and 4 losses for Shapo this grass court season?  He did far better on clay Yikes

summerblues

Posts : 3926
Join date : 2012-05-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wimbledon, Day 4

Post by summerblues on Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:49 pm

noleisthebest wrote:Coric won in Halle because Fed was dead tired
Fed did not lose to Coric because he was tired.  He lost because he did not care.

summerblues

Posts : 3926
Join date : 2012-05-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wimbledon, Day 4

Post by noleisthebest on Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:50 pm

summerblues wrote:What is it?  2 wins and 4 losses for Shapo this grass court season?  He did far better on clay Yikes
Shapoo’s still in potty training...give him a year or two.

noleisthebest

Posts : 27239
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wimbledon, Day 4

Post by noleisthebest on Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:54 pm

summerblues wrote:
noleisthebest wrote:Coric won in Halle because Fed was dead tired
Fed did not lose to Coric because he was tired.  He lost because he did not care.
Cooo, you really are on holiday...turn your brain on! Laugh

noleisthebest

Posts : 27239
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wimbledon, Day 4

Post by noleisthebest on Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:57 pm

summerblues wrote:
Daniel wrote:Murray out before he even began - he's toast, Summerblues.
smiley

Well I hope you are right.  I just do not think we should be counting our chickens just yet.
Why not...just imagine what beautiful brain massage it is for Fed to know Cilic is out.

It would’ve been a very physical SF and Fed needs to be fresh for the final.

noleisthebest

Posts : 27239
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wimbledon, Day 4

Post by summerblues on Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:58 pm

I said this during Halle:
summerblues wrote:I think Fed looks fine, just not too bothered.  All these 7:6 7:5 sets will become 6:4, 6:3 and 6:2 sets at Wimbledon.
So far so good.

summerblues

Posts : 3926
Join date : 2012-05-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wimbledon, Day 4

Post by summerblues on Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:03 am

noleisthebest wrote:
summerblues wrote:
noleisthebest wrote:Coric won in Halle because Fed was dead tired
Fed did not lose to Coric because he was tired.  He lost because he did not care.
Cooo, you really are on holiday...turn your brain on! Laugh
Sad

You think he cared but was tired?  What makes you say that?  At a stretch, he may have been tired - though I doubt it.  But he certainly did not care - that much was obvious from how he went through both Stuttgart and Halle.

summerblues

Posts : 3926
Join date : 2012-05-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wimbledon, Day 4

Post by noleisthebest on Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:08 am

summerblues wrote:
noleisthebest wrote:
summerblues wrote:
noleisthebest wrote:Coric won in Halle because Fed was dead tired
Fed did not lose to Coric because he was tired.  He lost because he did not care.
Cooo, you really are on holiday...turn your brain on! Laugh
Sad

You think he cared but was tired?  What makes you say that?  At a stretch, he may have been tired - though I doubt it.  But he certainly did not care - that much was obvious from how he went through both Stuttgart and Halle.
SB,

do you actually play any sport?

The 37 yo man played 8 matches in 10 days more or less!

Those legs were so heavy and slow in that final...mother nature, nothing he can do about it!

Nadal at 32 can barely get away with it in his heavy metal game but not Fed with his ...it all has to be tippy-tappy, tip-top in his symphony!

noleisthebest

Posts : 27239
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wimbledon, Day 4

Post by Slippy on Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:45 am

summerblues wrote:What is it?  2 wins and 4 losses for Shapo this grass court season?  He did far better on clay Yikes
That is surprising. I expected him to adapt his game far better to grass. However, I guess the reality is it’s a fairly alien surface to him. Perhaps a year or two of getting used to it should be expected. Interesting to see both Tsitsipas and Fritz going well on it though.

Slippy

Posts : 415
Join date : 2016-10-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wimbledon, Day 4

Post by Slippy on Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:09 am

That third section:

Khachanov v Tiafoe
Edmund v Djokovic
Kyrgios v Nishikori
Gulbis v Fritz/Zverev

Is just brutal. Novak is favourite against Edmund but it’s no gimme and the other matches are incredibly tough to call. I could make an argument for every player in that section bar maybe Gulbis making the SF.

Slippy

Posts : 415
Join date : 2016-10-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wimbledon, Day 4

Post by Tenez on Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:52 am

noleisthebest wrote:Silly Shapo...

Well, while his mother is holding that stupid stuffed toy for her baby, he will remain a baby...

Glad Tsitsipas has more testosterone influence in his box. Half the talent, double the brain.

Agree. It's ridiculous.

It's dangerous time. He can't get used to losing, it might stick to his entire career.


Last edited by Tenez on Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:03 am; edited 1 time in total

Tenez

Posts : 19518
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wimbledon, Day 4

Post by Tenez on Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:57 am

summerblues wrote:
noleisthebest wrote:Coric won in Halle because Fed was dead tired
Fed did not lose to Coric because he was tired.  He lost because he did not care.

Of course he did care. Number 1 spot at stake. Even he says he was tired playing 9 matches in 12 days...But he lost because he was unlucky first of all.

Tenez

Posts : 19518
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wimbledon, Day 4

Post by summerblues on Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:57 am

noleisthebest wrote:SB,

do you actually play any sport?

The 37 yo man played 8 matches in 10 days more or less!

Those legs were so heavy and slow in that final...mother nature, nothing he can do about it!
I used to play all kinds of sports.  I was just not any good at any of them Sad.

But you are quite naive if you think you can easily extrapolate from a recreational player's experience to the pros.  As I said, Fed may or may not have been tired in that match.  But he most certainly did not care about Halle and Stuttgart - just look at a replay of some of his matches - and that had more to do with his loss than any tiredness.

Anyway, I am happy to agree to disagree.  I will only say that I do not expect Fed to struggle at Wimbledon against the type of players he struggled against in both Stuttgart and Halle.

summerblues

Posts : 3926
Join date : 2012-05-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wimbledon, Day 4

Post by summerblues on Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:03 am

Slippy wrote:However, I guess the reality is it’s a fairly alien surface to him.
I was kind of thinking the same.  Still, as a North American kid, clay will be alien to him too.  And I expected that his game would translate better to grass.  I suppose it did not.

summerblues

Posts : 3926
Join date : 2012-05-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wimbledon, Day 4

Post by naxroy on Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:26 am

Slippy wrote:That third section:

Khachanov v Tiafoe
Edmund v Djokovic
Kyrgios v Nishikori
Gulbis v Fritz/Zverev

Is just brutal. Novak is favourite against Edmund but it’s no gimme and the other matches are incredibly tough to call. I could make an argument for every player in that section bar maybe Gulbis making the SF.


absolutely, hardest section in the draw... even before other sections openned up

naxroy

Posts : 720
Join date : 2017-07-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wimbledon, Day 4

Post by barrystar on Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:55 am

naxroy wrote:
Slippy wrote:That third section:

Khachanov v Tiafoe
Edmund v Djokovic
Kyrgios v Nishikori
Gulbis v Fritz/Zverev

Is just brutal. Novak is favourite against Edmund but it’s no gimme and the other matches are incredibly tough to call. I could make an argument for every player in that section bar maybe Gulbis making the SF.


absolutely, hardest section in the draw... even before other sections openned up

Quite agree - and whoever comes out of that is seeded for Nadal or Del Potro in the SF - if the ultimate winner comes from that section, big chapeau.

At the beginning I thought that Nadal and Federer had reasonably balanced draws, each with two obvious potential banana skins, but now that Cilic and Coric are out, both Fed's section and side of the draw have really opened up - I don't take Anderson lightly, but Fed should have the measure of him.

barrystar

Posts : 569
Join date : 2017-11-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wimbledon, Day 4

Post by naxroy on Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:55 am

really liked what nole said about playing in court 2

a true champion, hope he is on top soon, maybe in this wimbledon?

naxroy

Posts : 720
Join date : 2017-07-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wimbledon, Day 4

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum