Our Tennis Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» I Just Can't Help Believing!
federer - Federer's biggest career mistake? EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 8:25 am by Daniel2

» The Bullshit of Rafael Nadal
federer - Federer's biggest career mistake? EmptyMon Feb 12, 2024 12:15 am by Daniel2

» Why Trump's 'tough' stance on radical Islam... could lead to more terrorism
federer - Federer's biggest career mistake? EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:32 am by Daniel2

» Missing Madeline 10 years on..
federer - Federer's biggest career mistake? EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:31 am by Daniel2

» '15 Dubious Weak Era Records'
federer - Federer's biggest career mistake? EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:06 am by Daniel2

» AO 2024 - Sinner baby!!
federer - Federer's biggest career mistake? EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:05 am by Daniel2

» Paris Masters
federer - Federer's biggest career mistake? EmptyMon Nov 06, 2023 9:47 pm by noleisthebest

» Alvarez could bring me back to tennis
federer - Federer's biggest career mistake? EmptyWed Sep 20, 2023 10:25 am by raiders_of_the_lost_ark

» IDEMOOOOOOO! ! ! !
federer - Federer's biggest career mistake? EmptyMon Sep 11, 2023 9:47 am by noleisthebest

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

Federer's biggest career mistake?

+3
barrystar
legendkillar
luvsports!
7 posters

Go down

federer - Federer's biggest career mistake? Empty Federer's biggest career mistake?

Post by luvsports! Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:27 pm

Mixed feelings over this.
This took me half a year to get in contact with these names (as little old journalist me doesn't have any contacts or nepotism to call on) and I am really proud of it.

I am fuming, however, at the person who did the headline. Really gutted about it and have asked to change it.
Please share far and wide so i can get into sports journalism!  Laugh

https://www.theroar.com.au/2018/06/26/roger-federer-disappointment/

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

federer - Federer's biggest career mistake? Empty Re: Federer's biggest career mistake?

Post by legendkillar Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:27 am

Well I think the racquet is going to be perceived as something he should've done sooner, however I don't consider it a mistake given he did make the change. I think that would've been the bigger mistake had he chose to persevere with the 90in racquet.

I guess for me the one decision which was misguided was the appointment of Edberg. Felt a little bit vain to me.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

federer - Federer's biggest career mistake? Empty Re: Federer's biggest career mistake?

Post by luvsports! Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:07 am

Cheers for the reply LK. 

Btw, I got the headline changed!

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:16 am

Good article - for me the key quote is this from Cahill

“Yeah maybe, but he switched years ago and has only just now started cracking his backhand.

I had forgotten how long it took him to get on top of his b/h with his new racquet - you could say that in 2014-15 he returned to a similar standard and degree of success to 2011-2012, just missing out on a slam, but otherwise almost identical stats for w/l, tournament wins and rankings.  The difference came after he had 6 months off in 2016 during which he had more time to work on his game without the imperative of winning matches interrupting his work.

So, the 'mistake' would appear to have been one or other or a combination of: (a) not having the right coach after 2012- many say that Ljubicic, whose arrival was mocked, has helped make technical changes to his b/h which were needed earlier; (b) not taking time away from the grind of the tour to work on changes.

Given that neither 2011-2012 nor 2014-2015 were exactly embarrassing for a player who was in his 30's for most of it, and he did change his racquet, I think that these are v. much hindsight points and the assumption that the counter-factual would have been to accelerate the miracle of 2017 is far from clear.  Obviously he managed to beat Nadal regularly in 2017 for the first time, but we should not forget that both Djoko and Murray were absent from the big draws and, even if he would have gotten past them with a bit of effort, that has to have helped his year overall.

barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:29 am

luvsports! wrote:Cheers for the reply LK. 

Good man!

It's a fascinating read.

Not adding anything to what barry has said, I think another important part is Annacone stating that Roger is open to change. Something which the vast majority of pro's on tour wouldn't be.

Djokovic and Murray have had time away, it will be interesting to see if anything we see any marked changes in their games.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by luvsports! Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:04 am

barrystar wrote:Good article - for me the key quote is this from Cahill

“Yeah maybe, but he switched years ago and has only just now started cracking his backhand.

I had forgotten how long it took him to get on top of his b/h with his new racquet - you could say that in 2014-15 he returned to a similar standard and degree of success to 2011-2012, just missing out on a slam, but otherwise almost identical stats for w/l, tournament wins and rankings.  The difference came after he had 6 months off in 2016 during which he had more time to work on his game without the imperative of winning matches interrupting his work.

So, the 'mistake' would appear to have been one or other or a combination of: (a) not having the right coach after 2012- many say that Ljubicic, whose arrival was mocked, has helped make technical changes to his b/h which were needed earlier; (b) not taking time away from the grind of the tour to work on changes.

Given that neither 2011-2012 nor 2014-2015 were exactly embarrassing for a player who was in his 30's for most of it, and he did change his racquet, I think that these are v. much hindsight points and the assumption that the counter-factual would have been to accelerate the miracle of 2017 is far from clear.  Obviously he managed to beat Nadal regularly in 2017 for the first time, but we should not forget that both Djoko and Murray were absent from the big draws and, even if he would have gotten past them with a bit of effort, that has to have helped his year overall.

Good post. 
I could've gone on a lot longer but it was already around 1,200 words and my extra bits on those points had it up to around 2,000 - which was too long. 

When i interviewed these guys, i did ask about what if Federer had made the switch 10 years ago, or if he had learnt to play with the newer strings and racquets, but that is getting into the hypotheticals too much.

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

Post by luvsports! Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:05 am

legendkillar wrote:

Good man!

It's a fascinating read.

Not adding anything to what barry has said, I think another important part is Annacone stating that Roger is open to change. Something which the vast majority of pro's on tour wouldn't be.

Djokovic and Murray have had time away, it will be interesting to see if anything we see any marked changes in their games.

Do you think Murray can go back to the way he was or do you think he has to change his game? Or would that be 'MURRAY'S GREATEST MISTAAAAKKEEE?" Winking

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:16 am

Good article, interesting content and really well written too. Bubbly Bubbly

Last line though, I'd change 'what racket' to 'which racket'.

On the way to becoming a top tennis journalist LS Magic

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by naxroy Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:17 am

nice article

but in my opinion there is no mistake at all

everything went so good for roger with his old raquet that it is very difficult to have done it even better

maybe the advantages of the bigger raquet would have brought some other disadvantages or nocive effects to his seasons... who knows

now he uses it in big success, but also playing only 60% of the year...

naxroy

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:25 am

luvsports! wrote:
legendkillar wrote:

Good man!

It's a fascinating read.

Do you think Murray can go back to the way he was or do you think he has to change his game? Or would that be 'MURRAY'S GREATEST MISTAAAAKKEEE?" Winking

I don't think he can. Because the new gen of baseliners hit harder and for longer and also if he wants longevity, he has to evolve.

His biggest issue is moving from the defensive mindset to one that embraces high risk is high reward and equally can spell defeat. Looking at how deep Zverev and Coric go with groundies for me puts Murray in those stakes behind them. He has to be much more aggressive to stand a chance. Got be willing to finish more points at the net. Also increase those first serve stats. Land more of those and he will pick up free points.

He doesn't hit with much topspin. So he has to go bigger from here on out.

He wanted to embrace change years ago with the appointment of Mauresmo. As bold of a decision as it was, I don't think he totally committed to what Mauresmo brought to the table. Very much like Djokovic with Agassi. Wanted new voices, but telling the same things as the ones before.

Murray is of too much of a negative mindset and if he can overcome that, he can make the changes. I am not holding my breath sadly on that one.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by luvsports! Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:48 am

DEC1M7 wrote:Good article, interesting content and really well written too. Bubbly Bubbly

Last line though, I'd change 'what racket' to 'which racket'.

On the way to becoming a top tennis journalist LS Magic
Ta for the feedback Doc! smiley

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

Post by luvsports! Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:50 am

Interesting stuff LK. I want a fit and firing Murray back, just so Feds can beat him Winking

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:50 am

legendkillar wrote:Well I think the racquet is going to be perceived as something he should've done sooner, however I don't consider it a mistake given he did make the change. I think that would've been the bigger mistake had he chose to persevere with the 90in racquet.

I guess for me the one decision which was misguided was the appointment of Edberg. Felt a little bit vain to me.
I thought Edberg was a good move. He improved Fed's net game and enabled him to shorten the points. Also, that was the era SABR came about!
SABR was to me a sign of total baseline frustration from Fed.

He could not break down or hit through Nole. That is why I think he hired Ljubicic who we all thought was a shocking choice at the time, but it was Ivan who transformed Fed's BH and so Edberg and Ljubicic together made a big impact on Fed and enabled him the big 2017 comeback to be so dominant and superior...again!

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:54 am

Interesting that Anacone doesn't think racquet change was a mistake.
Vain moron!

He was probably instrumental in Federer not doing it sooner which is why he got the boot.
And it looks like he hasn't recovered from it still....

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:58 am

I would say Federer's big mistake (maybe the biggest) is not putting the foot down with Nadal's abuse of time between the points.

I know he is only a player and it's not his job to worry about implementation of rules, but still, he could have used his clout and be more aggressive in lobbying...though he probably felt it was below him which it was....

Nadal had Toni to do his dirty work behind the scenes, and Fed didn't.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by naxroy Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:07 pm

or fed simply isnt as bothered as some wise internet forum posters

naxroy

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:22 pm

noleisthebest wrote:
legendkillar wrote:Well I think the racquet is going to be perceived as something he should've done sooner, however I don't consider it a mistake given he did make the change. I think that would've been the bigger mistake had he chose to persevere with the 90in racquet.

I thought Edberg was a good move. He improved Fed's net game and enabled him to shorten the points. Also, that was the era SABR came about!
SABR was to me a sign of total baseline frustration from Fed.

He could not break down or hit through Nole. That is why I think he hired Ljubicic who we all thought was a shocking choice at the time, but it was Ivan who transformed Fed's BH and so Edberg and Ljubicic together made a big impact on Fed and enabled him the big 2017 comeback to be so dominant and superior...again!

Nah. Annacone did more for Fed's net game. In fact he helped Roger in that transition into a more refined all court player when the baseliner gen was in full swing. SABR was there. The consistency came with the new bat.

Edberg was indulgence of a childhood ambition.

Ljbucic has been an interesting appointment. The depth is there on BH like there was with Ljub's BH.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:20 pm

The racquet is a good call but somehow I felt that disposing of Roddick abd other big hitters had the by-product of making him too passive on the backhand. He beat them by neutralising their big shots with the chopped backhand.

Now he plays far more aggressively. If only he’d stuck  with that approach he might have switched racquets to improve the tactic.

bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down