Our Tennis Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» I Just Can't Help Believing!
What I like about "Our Tennis Forum" EmptySat Mar 23, 2024 9:00 pm by noleisthebest

» The Bullshit of Rafael Nadal
What I like about "Our Tennis Forum" EmptyMon Feb 12, 2024 12:15 am by Daniel2

» Why Trump's 'tough' stance on radical Islam... could lead to more terrorism
What I like about "Our Tennis Forum" EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:32 am by Daniel2

» Missing Madeline 10 years on..
What I like about "Our Tennis Forum" EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:31 am by Daniel2

» '15 Dubious Weak Era Records'
What I like about "Our Tennis Forum" EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:06 am by Daniel2

» AO 2024 - Sinner baby!!
What I like about "Our Tennis Forum" EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:05 am by Daniel2

» Paris Masters
What I like about "Our Tennis Forum" EmptyMon Nov 06, 2023 9:47 pm by noleisthebest

» Alvarez could bring me back to tennis
What I like about "Our Tennis Forum" EmptyWed Sep 20, 2023 10:25 am by raiders_of_the_lost_ark

» IDEMOOOOOOO! ! ! !
What I like about "Our Tennis Forum" EmptyMon Sep 11, 2023 9:47 am by noleisthebest

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

What I like about "Our Tennis Forum"

+5
Jahu
N2D2L
luvsports!
Tenez
barrystar
9 posters

Go down

What I like about "Our Tennis Forum" Empty What I like about "Our Tennis Forum"

Post by barrystar Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:48 am

In short, the absence of thin skins.  Many of the same old prejudices and arguments and insults flow around, but nobody runs to teacher for resolution/vindication.  Instead, people stick up for themselves or disengage from head-banging when they've worked out where their boundaries are and have had enough .  Although this is overwhelmingly a pro-Federer forum, and some pretty harsh anti-Nadal views are expressed, it's not all one-way traffic.  I miss a few of the more robust pro-Nadal and pro-Djoko posters from the 'old place', but on balance I prefer the fact that when someone does drop a hand grenade people are more robust about it.

It reminds me of my sister's approach to bringing up children - so long as things don't get seriously out of hand you need the confidence to let them regulate themselves, and they'll settle down much better in the medium to long-term.  Set yourself up as a 'judge' and appeals to you will never end during which time the 'appellants' leave their relationships between each other in limbo as if these relationships are something they can't take responsibility for themselves.  

I think (hope) that we've managed that.

barrystar

Back to top Go down

What I like about "Our Tennis Forum" Empty Re: What I like about "Our Tennis Forum"

Post by Tenez Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:22 am

Thanks Barry (and of course thanks to all for making it that way). I think one of the best things about it is that there are not actually that many "hand grenades" as in the other forums I visited. We can go months disagreeing without insults. We have a couple (if that) of "spicy-tongued" members but as you said we are thick skinned enough to let it go. Though I think this is about maturity more than thick skinned.

We know it's just a tennis forum after all.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

What I like about "Our Tennis Forum" Empty Re: What I like about "Our Tennis Forum"

Post by luvsports! Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:05 pm

Apart from Jahu, who uses this place to hit on people  Laugh

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

Post by N2D2L Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:51 pm

Bubbly
You can't deny this forum is entertaining as well, forums are much more fun when people with different beliefs aren't scared of expressing it.

barry star wrote:I miss a few of the more robust pro-Nadal and pro-Djoko posters from the 'old place'
Yeah, I miss Socal too!

N2D2L

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:13 pm

luvsports! wrote:Apart from Jahu, who uses this place to hit on people  Laugh

Where is this coming from? Stop spreading erotic fake news  Laugh

Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:58 pm

In the other place, criticizing fist pumper 2000 is seen as a crime punishable by instant bans - and any discussion that certain people want closing down is closed down.

These same people - surprise surprise - also tend to hold pathetic leftist views.  Oh so tolerant... as long as you agree with them.

Daniel

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:32 pm

A nice post barry.

I came here because I was fed up with threads clogging up with bans and over-sensitivity. There's an unwritten democracy here in which people know their tolerances and in some instances if compromises in opinion can't be reached, it's mostly left alone. Posters still carry a degree of emotive connection with players and that's always to be expected, but I like that debates do have lines drawn and we can debate. Yes it gets tense at times, but spice is the variety of life as they say.

Importantly grudges aren't held and that's always a nice thing. I still miss certain posters lags/Lydian mostly, but when will Murdoch bloody re-appear?!

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Slippy Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:38 am

A lot of tennis forums seem to actively discourage debate/disagreement. You can see that with v2. They became so keen not to risk anyone being offended, that only non-contentious stuff was allowed. That then drives away those posters who are keen to generate debate - who also tend to be the posters who actively participate in the forum. Over time, the more passive members also stop posting, as they realise there isn’t much new thought provoking content being posted. 

I may not agree with much of what is said on here but I think it’s great that there is so much effort put into having new articles and points to debate. Wish I had a bit more free time to participate!

Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:22 am

luvsports! wrote:Apart from Jahu, who uses this place to hit on people  Laugh
Jahu is great.  Straight shooter, good sense of humor, humble.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:25 am

As others said, the big advantage compared to 606v2 is that you do not have people running around trying to eliminate "inappropriate" thoughts and topics.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:02 pm

As much as I appreciate the cool demeanour of OTF, It's the fact we can discuss everything which woudl be taboo elsewhere. That is the very reason we created OTF. And I also think the posters knowledge is beyond others in most cases, esecially as some question and prove wrong all the meaningless dogma or "truth) sold by pundits about the game.

Sure we could do with more or more attendence: Prostaff, nameless and SirFred.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down