Our Tennis Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» I Just Can't Help Believing!
federer - Federer "The End Is Closer Than Ever Before" EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 8:25 am by Daniel2

» The Bullshit of Rafael Nadal
federer - Federer "The End Is Closer Than Ever Before" EmptyMon Feb 12, 2024 12:15 am by Daniel2

» Why Trump's 'tough' stance on radical Islam... could lead to more terrorism
federer - Federer "The End Is Closer Than Ever Before" EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:32 am by Daniel2

» Missing Madeline 10 years on..
federer - Federer "The End Is Closer Than Ever Before" EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:31 am by Daniel2

» '15 Dubious Weak Era Records'
federer - Federer "The End Is Closer Than Ever Before" EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:06 am by Daniel2

» AO 2024 - Sinner baby!!
federer - Federer "The End Is Closer Than Ever Before" EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:05 am by Daniel2

» Paris Masters
federer - Federer "The End Is Closer Than Ever Before" EmptyMon Nov 06, 2023 9:47 pm by noleisthebest

» Alvarez could bring me back to tennis
federer - Federer "The End Is Closer Than Ever Before" EmptyWed Sep 20, 2023 10:25 am by raiders_of_the_lost_ark

» IDEMOOOOOOO! ! ! !
federer - Federer "The End Is Closer Than Ever Before" EmptyMon Sep 11, 2023 9:47 am by noleisthebest

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

Federer "The End Is Closer Than Ever Before"

+4
naxroy
barrystar
noleisthebest
Tenez
8 posters

Go down

federer - Federer "The End Is Closer Than Ever Before" Empty Federer "The End Is Closer Than Ever Before"

Post by Tenez Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:42 am

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/tennis/973744/Roger-Federer-retirement-Stuttgart-Open

Obviously this is something that was true 10 years ago...but the fact he talks about it now.....

I personally think that he will most likely finish the year if fit but if not fit...he might stop even after Wimbeldon....but I am pretty sure there will not be a 2019....and that makes sense.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

federer - Federer "The End Is Closer Than Ever Before" Empty Re: Federer "The End Is Closer Than Ever Before"

Post by noleisthebest Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:50 am

I was wondering about how much longer he was going to play when I wrote this:

https://ourtennisforum.forumotion.co.uk/t1502-has-federer-finally-peaked?highlight=Has+federer+peaked

Reading his interview, “joy of the game” comes as number one on his list...followed by winning, fans’ enjoyment.

So as far as I can see it, while he can play his best tennis he will play...and he probably genuinelly doesn’t know himself how long that is going to last.

I think it’s not easy for him now to have such long breaks and have to start and warm up his engines in the middle of season and on grass...the fastest and least forgiving surface.

Once he hears the crowd roar on CC, his wings will feel the tingle of new life.

That is Fed’s tennis perpetuum mobile!

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

federer - Federer "The End Is Closer Than Ever Before" Empty Re: Federer "The End Is Closer Than Ever Before"

Post by barrystar Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:56 am

He was asked a question about life after tennis and he answered it.  When my son was 4 he asked me if Grandpa was going to die, I said words to the effect, yes, that we are all going to die one day, before adding that nobody is in a hurry to go.

The article and interview have not moved the subject on from where it was before really.

barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:33 am

barrystar wrote:He was asked a question about life after tennis and he answered it.  When my son was 4 he asked me if Grandpa was going to die, I said words to the effect, yes, that we are all going to die one day, before adding that nobody is in a hurry to go.

The article and interview have not moved the subject on from where it was before really.

But you don't talk about dying when you are 20 but more likely when you are getting closer to it and when one is one starts to talk about it.

I am pretty sure he won;t play in 2019.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by naxroy Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:58 am

being 37 years old the moment cant be that far away

what really is out of this world is the level he showed since 2017 at his age

lets enjoy while we can

naxroy

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:37 pm

Complete red herring. Of course the end is closer than ever before; I'm closer to dying than I was before I began typing this post (which kind of makes me wonder whether this is a great use of my remaining time). Federer is genuinely not far from retirement meaning it's a more meaningful question but he's still not answering it.

We had all this after the AO when he failed to say "see you next year" but then corrected that in interviews later.

He'll carry on until he can't challenge, and I think he fancies playing at 40. I just think he does.

bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by naxroy Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:12 pm

bogbrush wrote:...He'll carry on until he can't challenge...

yes, thats it

naxroy

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:17 pm

For me a lot hinges on Wimbledon. If he doesn't perform there I think it will influence a decision about next season. More so when Clay is off the menu.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:14 pm

If he won Wimbledon there’d be no question; #10 would become the big aim.

bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Emancipator Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:54 pm

bogbrush wrote:
He'll carry on until he can't challenge, and I think he fancies playing at 40. I just think he does.

Yes.. and as long as Nadal is breathing down his neck and looks like he could add more to his tally. 

Either he creates a gap that looks pretty unassailable and so feels safe, or he keeps going as long as he and Nadal both have a chance to add more.

The biggest regret would be to stop too soon only for that pesky Mallorcan to pip him in the end.

I will not allow him 

ghost 

Emancipator

Emancipator

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:20 pm

bogbrush wrote:If he won Wimbledon there’d be no question; #10 would become the big aim.

Indeed. However, I think an early defeat at Wimbledon would put things in context for him as he is enjoying being in a great place seeding wise, more so when the pressure for him to keep performing on a limited schedule has no room for error. Which is why I think the moment any of the success dries up might constitute a rethink. More so if he fell out of the top 20, which currently I must say doesn't look likely.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:26 pm

I think tomorrow we will have a much better idea of where he stands fitness wise. Playing without a day in between should give us a very god clue.

Retrieving or not Kyrgios' serve will tell us a lot about his form.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:28 pm

Jesus Tenez, a year ago he lost to Tommy Haas, a guy in semi retirement older than him.

That told us about his form. 

He then lost zero sets through Halle and Wimbledon.

Tomorrow will tell us almost nothing. It’s a warm up event.

bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:14 pm

Tomorrow will tell us again that Fed does not miss penalties however good the goalkeeper may be.. Bubbly

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:06 am

bogbrush wrote:Jesus Tenez, a year ago he lost to Tommy Haas, a guy in semi retirement older than him.

That told us about his form. 

He then lost zero sets through Halle and Wimbledon.

Tomorrow will tell us almost nothing. It’s a warm up event.

Well..We will see. Losing to his German friend in front of a German crowd is not the same as losing to Kyrgios in front of a crowd supporting him.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:31 am

noleisthebest wrote:So as far as I can see it, while he can play his best tennis he will play...and he probably genuinelly doesn’t know himself how long that is going to last.
I think this is right.  In the past he used to always say he planned to play until at least the next Olympics (I think he liked that response because it kept reporters quiet for a few years at a time) but last time I heard him talk about it, it was more like "I do not know whether or not I will still be playing then".  And I think that is an honest answer.  He enjoys the game, is playing well, but is realistic enough to know it can go downhill very quickly.

I expect that he will likely play at least through the next year, maybe longer simply because - barring an injury - it is hard to see him decline so rapidly that he would think he had no chance in 2019.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down