Search
 
 

Display results as :
 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Keywords

davis  predict  draw  open  Kyrgios  edberg  shapovalov  study  GOAT  

Latest topics
» Barcelona 2018
Today at 2:24 pm by Tenez

» Will Nadal lose on clay this year?
Today at 1:09 pm by bogbrush

» ATP Masters 1000: Monte Carlo 2018
Today at 7:49 am by noleisthebest

» Tennis integrity and betting
Yesterday at 5:37 pm by barrystar

» Djokovic Brings Back Gritsch!
Yesterday at 4:17 pm by noleisthebest

» Toni’s Latest Interview
Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:30 pm by noleisthebest

» Ronnie O'Sullivan on Federer....
Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:30 pm by noleisthebest

» Masters 2018...Allez Rory...
Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:08 pm by DECIMA

» Nadal at it again
Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:54 am by noleisthebest

April 2018
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
      1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
30      

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum


Miami 2018

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Miami 2018

Post by Tenez on Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:34 pm

The draw is out...and it seems, to my surprise that Federer is in......

Delpo, Nishi and Djoko are in the same segment of the draw.


http://www.miamiopen.com/atpmds031918.pdf

Tenez

Posts : 18537
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Miami 2018

Post by legendkillar on Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:04 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/43464868

What a load of crap!

Having a child is a choice! Not something imposed.

Used to respect Blake. Just a bit of a twat in my eyes now.


Last edited by legendkillar on Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:54 am; edited 1 time in total

legendkillar

Posts : 2188
Join date : 2012-10-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Miami 2018

Post by bogbrush on Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:43 am

Federer will be content with that draw for sure, every chance to defend the title.

bogbrush

Posts : 1906
Join date : 2015-03-30
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Miami 2018

Post by barrystar on Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:50 am

legendkillar wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/43464868

What a load of crap!

Having a child is a choice! Not something imposed.

Used to respect Blake. Just a bit of a twat in my eyes now.

They get a protected ranking, so they can enter the tournament - I think that keeping their ranking on ice for seeding is unfair on those who have been grinding away whilst the star was absent.  You've got to choose between respecting the work of a player on tour over the 12 months during which she has acquired her current ranking and not being overly harsh on people who go away to have a baby.  The protected ranking system seems to me to be about right.  I can't help wondering that an element of this may be because it's Serena.  If she 'lets it be known' that this is her thinking, how many smaller fish like Blake will have the nuts to say that it's right how it is....?  Of course - I am speculating, she may have said nothing.

barrystar

Posts : 324
Join date : 2017-11-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Miami 2018

Post by Tenez on Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:52 am

Is he suggesting we should be rigging draws again?

Tenez

Posts : 18537
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Miami 2018

Post by legendkillar on Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:08 am

barrystar wrote:
legendkillar wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/43464868

What a load of crap!

Having a child is a choice! Not something imposed.

Used to respect Blake. Just a bit of a twat in my eyes now.

They get a protected ranking, so they can enter the tournament - I think that keeping their ranking on ice for seeding is unfair on those who have been grinding away whilst the star was absent.  You've got to choose between respecting the work of a player on tour over the 12 months during which she has acquired her current ranking and not being overly harsh on people who go away to have a baby.  The protected ranking system seems to me to be about right.  I can't help wondering that an element of this may be because it's Serena.  If she 'lets it be known' that this is her thinking, how many smaller fish like Blake will have the nuts to say that it's right how it is....?  Of course - I am speculating, she may have said nothing.

See I disagree with the protected ranking system. Injuries, absences, breaks all happen as part of any sport. If you are good enough, you'll reach the level you once operated at. It's the implication she should have an easier draw. Utter nonsense.

They need to put up or shut up.

legendkillar

Posts : 2188
Join date : 2012-10-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Miami 2018

Post by noleisthebest on Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:25 am

I saw a little bit of IW women’s final, Osaka plays very much like Serena, great serve, ball placement, cc, dtl, athletic...plus shenis in form.

Blake is just being a black brother there..talk about racism!

noleisthebest

Posts : 26329
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Miami 2018

Post by Tenez on Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:29 am

Blake does not says that cause he cares about Serena, only because it makes "business" sense. People want to see big names (even at the expense of others trying to make a name). They attract crowds and this is the "open" era.


Tenez

Posts : 18537
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Miami 2018

Post by Tenez on Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:33 am

Anyway Fed has an easier draw here. Having said that there are no very tough players anymore.

Tenez

Posts : 18537
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Miami 2018

Post by noleisthebest on Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:34 am

Well, Azarenka came back from having a baby and I don’t remember any clamour about her ranking.

If Blake really cared about $$$ he could’ve offeerd Serena a WC.

To me this looks more like another PC charge.

And it reminds me of Nadal wanting a two year protected ranking.

noleisthebest

Posts : 26329
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Miami 2018

Post by noleisthebest on Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:35 am

I hope Miami is faster than IW.

noleisthebest

Posts : 26329
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Miami 2018

Post by legendkillar on Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:55 am

Tenez wrote:Blake does not says that cause he cares about Serena, only because it makes "business" sense. People want to see big names (even at the expense of others trying to make a name). They attract crowds and this is the "open" era.



Absolutely, but at least he can come out and actually say that directly rather than say the tournament and ranking system fails her.

Least with Sharapova and her return, the events that courted her said as much about the commercial element that her name brings.

I see Serena as someone more concerned with events off the court rather than on it. About time she departed the scene and become a full time SJW.

legendkillar

Posts : 2188
Join date : 2012-10-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Miami 2018

Post by Tenez on Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:09 am

But it's the crowd's problem, not the TDs. Imagine if the crowd preferred to see young and upcoming players instead of those older athletes, Blake would not say that.

McDonalds is a successful brands. People like their burgers even though you have many more burgers chains which, to me at least, taste much better.

This is why there has been so many cases of doping and rigging covering. The crowd is always to blame in major part.

Tenez

Posts : 18537
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Miami 2018

Post by noleisthebest on Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:19 pm

Not sure the crowd is entirely to blame.

Pundits are just as much to blame for “building” star image, and brainwashing the occasional viewer, the fairweather Wimbledon two weeks tennis fans, for example.
For all they know, Nadal really is the best volleyer because Mac said so.

Now why does Mac say so?
Because he is told to.
And who tells him?

Same reason why masses believe sport is clean.

noleisthebest

Posts : 26329
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Miami 2018

Post by Tenez on Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:37 pm

I am not sure they can "built" star image. they can make the most of it...but they would have never been able to turn Davydenko or Nalbandian stars in spite of their great tennis. Same with Murray and Djoko...they woudl have never been able to make as much cash out of them as Nadal.

Federer is not someone they could have built either. he is not particularly charismatic but many people relate to him thanks to his talent I guess.


Tenez

Posts : 18537
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Miami 2018

Post by bogbrush on Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:25 pm

All ranking protection is complete balls put in plac by the players with clout to protect themselves.

(Yet) another reason to celebrate Fed for standing against 2 year ranking when Nadal wanted it.

bogbrush

Posts : 1906
Join date : 2015-03-30
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Miami 2018

Post by Tenez on Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:35 pm

Pouille's defeat at IW maybe explained by injury as he is not entering Miami.

Tenez

Posts : 18537
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Miami 2018

Post by noleisthebest on Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:33 pm

Tenez wrote:I am not sure they can "built" star image. they can make the most of it...but they would have never been able to turn Davydenko or Nalbandian stars in spite of their great tennis. Same with Murray and Djoko...they woudl have never been able to make as much cash out of them as Nadal.

Federer is not someone they could have built either. he is not particularly charismatic but many people relate to him thanks to his talent I guess.


so what did "they" find so marketable in Nadal?
Please don't tell me it was his tennis or even worse his gay looks...

noleisthebest

Posts : 26329
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Miami 2018

Post by legendkillar on Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:51 pm


legendkillar

Posts : 2188
Join date : 2012-10-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Miami 2018

Post by bogbrush on Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:15 pm

legendkillar wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/43477213

Agree fully
You know this makes you a Trumping Nazi bigot don’t you? Like, literally Hitler.

bogbrush

Posts : 1906
Join date : 2015-03-30
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Miami 2018

Post by Tenez on Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:42 pm

noleisthebest wrote:
Tenez wrote:I am not sure they can "built" star image. they can make the most of it...but they would have never been able to turn Davydenko or Nalbandian stars in spite of their great tennis. Same with Murray and Djoko...they woudl have never been able to make as much cash out of them as Nadal.

Federer is not someone they could have built either. he is not particularly charismatic but many people relate to him thanks to his talent I guess.


so what did "they" find so marketable in Nadal?
Please don't tell me it was his tennis or even worse his gay looks...
Chocolate eyes. Having watched him live a few times, he always had the vast majority of the girls behind him. Djoko nor Murray have the same appeal.....but don;t ask me why.

Tenez

Posts : 18537
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Miami 2018

Post by summerblues on Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:01 am

Not a bad draw for Federer at all.  Hopefully he is good enough for another week of tennis before long rest.

Did not Nole have this same draw in IW?  I remember saying that it was not too bad because Nishi is out of form and Delpo is not dangerous because he has no BH.  I may need to rethink that second part...

summerblues

Posts : 3416
Join date : 2012-05-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Miami 2018

Post by bogbrush on Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:32 am

It’d be interesting to see JMDP play Djokovic. It’s been mostly one way but on the basis of both men’s play last week you think this would reverse.

bogbrush

Posts : 1906
Join date : 2015-03-30
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Miami 2018

Post by Daniel on Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:20 am

I'd expect that in current forms, Djok wwould be toast.  If Djok even meets him.  M Zverev has a good chance.

Daniel

Posts : 3378
Join date : 2013-11-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Miami 2018

Post by Tenez on Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:00 am

Djoko just saying he has been without pain for 2 days in years!

Tenez

Posts : 18537
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Miami 2018

Post by legendkillar on Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:44 am

bogbrush wrote:
legendkillar wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/43477213

Agree fully
You know this makes you a Trumping Nazi bigot don’t you? Like, literally Hitler.

I know right. Need to get with the programme that it's perfectly acceptable for an athlete to moan about unequal treatment and request it themselves when it's not to their benefit to be treated equally. 

There's nothing wrong with such double standards. Winking

legendkillar

Posts : 2188
Join date : 2012-10-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Miami 2018

Post by barrystar on Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:03 am

legendkillar wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/43477213

Agree fully

No you don't - not according to this exchange with me yesterday, when you said you don't like the protected ranking system which ensures Serena is in the draw, but does not protect her seeding:

barrystar wrote:
legendkillar wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/43464868

What a load of crap!

Having a child is a choice! Not something imposed.

Used to respect Blake. Just a bit of a twat in my eyes now.
[size]

They get a protected ranking, so they can enter the tournament - I think that keeping their ranking on ice for seeding is unfair on those who have been grinding away whilst the star was absent.  You've got to choose between respecting the work of a player on tour over the 12 months during which she has acquired her current ranking and not being overly harsh on people who go away to have a baby.  The protected ranking system seems to me to be about right.  I can't help wondering that an element of this may be because it's Serena.  If she 'lets it be known' that this is her thinking, how many smaller fish like Blake will have the nuts to say that it's right how it is....?  Of course - I am speculating, she may have said nothing.[/size]


See I disagree with the protected ranking system. Injuries, absences, breaks all happen as part of any sport. If you are good enough, you'll reach the level you once operated at. It's the implication she should have an easier draw. Utter nonsense.

They need to put up or shut up.




barrystar

Posts : 324
Join date : 2017-11-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Miami 2018

Post by legendkillar on Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:52 am

barrystar wrote:
legendkillar wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/43477213

Agree fully

No you don't - not according to this exchange with me yesterday, when you said you don't like the protected ranking system which ensures Serena is in the draw, but does not protect her seeding:

barrystar wrote:

legendkillar wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/43464868

What a load of crap!

Having a child is a choice! Not something imposed.

Used to respect Blake. Just a bit of a twat in my eyes now.


They get a protected ranking, so they can enter the tournament - I think that keeping their ranking on ice for seeding is unfair on those who have been grinding away whilst the star was absent.  You've got to choose between respecting the work of a player on tour over the 12 months during which she has acquired her current ranking and not being overly harsh on people who go away to have a baby.  The protected ranking system seems to me to be about right.  I can't help wondering that an element of this may be because it's Serena.  If she 'lets it be known' that this is her thinking, how many smaller fish like Blake will have the nuts to say that it's right how it is....?  Of course - I am speculating, she may have said nothing.


See I disagree with the protected ranking system. Injuries, absences, breaks all happen as part of any sport. If you are good enough, you'll reach the level you once operated at. It's the implication she should have an easier draw. Utter nonsense.

They need to put up or shut up.




Erm yes I do agree with the comments she made around pregnancy and having children disadvantaged players. 

If you want me to further publish the transcript and highlight specifics I agree with, I will do.

legendkillar

Posts : 2188
Join date : 2012-10-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Miami 2018

Post by Tenez on Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:33 pm

What I don;t understand is why IW and Miami don't spread their matches better.
I believe the tournament starts officially today. they shoudl go with some first rounds today. The more they spread days for top players the better. They are the only 2 TMS 1000 requiring 6 matches for a win. that's a lot!

Tenez

Posts : 18537
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Miami 2018

Post by bogbrush on Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:35 pm

Tenez wrote:
noleisthebest wrote:
Tenez wrote:I am not sure they can "built" star image. they can make the most of it...but they would have never been able to turn Davydenko or Nalbandian stars in spite of their great tennis. Same with Murray and Djoko...they woudl have never been able to make as much cash out of them as Nadal.

Federer is not someone they could have built either. he is not particularly charismatic but many people relate to him thanks to his talent I guess.


so what did "they" find so marketable in Nadal?
Please don't tell me it was his tennis or even worse his gay looks...
Chocolate eyes. Having watched him live a few times, he always had the vast majority of the girls behind him. Djoko nor Murray have the same appeal.....but don;t ask me why.
The full quote is; "there's something about his chocolate eyes and caramel skin that make me go all of a dither"

http://www.wooffiesrafaramblings.co.uk

bogbrush

Posts : 1906
Join date : 2015-03-30
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Miami 2018

Post by Tenez on Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:36 pm

LOL!. yeah...was too lazy looking for it. I heard she lost her husband, sadly.

Tenez

Posts : 18537
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Miami 2018

Post by barrystar on Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:33 pm

legendkillar wrote:
barrystar wrote:
legendkillar wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/43477213

Agree fully

No you don't - not according to this exchange with me yesterday, when you said you don't like the protected ranking system which ensures Serena is in the draw, but does not protect her seeding:

barrystar wrote:

legendkillar wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/43464868

What a load of crap!

Having a child is a choice! Not something imposed.

Used to respect Blake. Just a bit of a twat in my eyes now.


They get a protected ranking, so they can enter the tournament - I think that keeping their ranking on ice for seeding is unfair on those who have been grinding away whilst the star was absent.  You've got to choose between respecting the work of a player on tour over the 12 months during which she has acquired her current ranking and not being overly harsh on people who go away to have a baby.  The protected ranking system seems to me to be about right.  I can't help wondering that an element of this may be because it's Serena.  If she 'lets it be known' that this is her thinking, how many smaller fish like Blake will have the nuts to say that it's right how it is....?  Of course - I am speculating, she may have said nothing.


See I disagree with the protected ranking system. Injuries, absences, breaks all happen as part of any sport. If you are good enough, you'll reach the level you once operated at. It's the implication she should have an easier draw. Utter nonsense.

They need to put up or shut up.




Erm yes I do agree with the comments she made around pregnancy and having children disadvantaged players. 

If you want me to further publish the transcript and highlight specifics I agree with, I will do.

I wouldn't bother going to the trouble - I thought that what she said pretty much echoed what I had said, including being in favour of protected rankings, but that you disagreed with that.  I accept that you agree with the rest - hence my reference only to protected rankings.

On another note - this is a typically balanced Guardian take on the subject https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2018/mar/21/serena-williams-mother-tennis-hate-criticism-baby

barrystar

Posts : 324
Join date : 2017-11-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Miami 2018

Post by noleisthebest on Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:45 pm

After a two hear self imposed exile, I got myself a ticket for RG, r4!
I really appreciate how simple RG make it to buy tickets...total opposite from Wimbledon.
So excited! diva

noleisthebest

Posts : 26329
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Miami 2018

Post by bogbrush on Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:10 pm

Tenez wrote:LOL!. yeah...was too lazy looking for it. I heard she lost her husband, sadly.
I don't know about Wooffie but Haddie told me she had lost her husband last year.

bogbrush

Posts : 1906
Join date : 2015-03-30
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Miami 2018

Post by noleisthebest on Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:34 pm

Tenez wrote:
Chocolate eyes. Having watched him live a few times, he always had the vast majority of the girls behind him. Djoko nor Murray have the same appeal.....but don;t ask me why.
I will never be able to understand. Never. Never. Never.

noleisthebest

Posts : 26329
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Miami 2018

Post by Tenez on Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:30 pm

noleisthebest wrote:After a two hear self imposed exile, I got myself a ticket for RG, r4!
I really appreciate how simple RG make it to buy tickets...total opposite from Wimbledon.
So excited! diva
 If Fed enters it. I might join you.

Tenez

Posts : 18537
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Miami 2018

Post by Tenez on Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:31 pm

bogbrush wrote:
Tenez wrote:LOL!. yeah...was too lazy looking for it. I heard she lost her husband, sadly.
I don't know about Wooffie but Haddie told me she had lost her husband last year.
Ah....I mixed them up.

Tenez

Posts : 18537
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Miami 2018

Post by noleisthebest on Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:50 pm

I am really glad Fed is playing.
Looking through the draw, it looks “thin”...

Delpo and Fed are the only healthy in-form players, everyone else is a joke.

Also, Chung - the only youngster with a level head on his shoulders, others (Shapo, Rublev etc) are carrying on like babies: one or two rounds and that’s it.

Where is the heart of BB to storm the tournament and just do it!

I can’t wait for tennis to move to Europe...this “sunshine double”  should be replaced by grass tournaments, the calendar reshuffled...why are they even bothering if tennis is such a z-list sport in the US....

They don’t deserve 3x1000 masters plus a slam.

Wouldn’t it be cool to have a masters 1000 on grass in the UK and even Germany?
I have nothing against all the tournaments on clay, all good.

noleisthebest

Posts : 26329
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Miami 2018

Post by raiders_of_the_lost_ark on Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:50 am

noleisthebest wrote:I am really glad Fed is playing.
Looking through the draw, it looks “thin”...

Delpo and Fed are the only healthy in-form players, everyone else is a joke.

Also, Chung - the only youngster with a level head on his shoulders, others (Shapo, Rublev etc) are carrying on like babies: one or two rounds and that’s it.

Where is the heart of BB to storm the tournament and just do it!

I can’t wait for tennis to move to Europe...this “sunshine double”  should be replaced by grass tournaments, the calendar reshuffled...why are they even bothering if tennis is such a z-list sport in the US....

They don’t deserve 3x1000 masters plus a slam.

Wouldn’t it be cool to have a masters 1000 on grass in the UK and even Germany?
I have nothing against all the tournaments on clay, all good.

There could be many valid reasons for it. Masters 1000 Tournament Need to have certain major  infrastructure requirements to be met. I don't think either Halle/Queens/NewPort have the required number of courts to have draw of size 64/96 to accommodate this many matches in 7 days. 

Grass is a delicate surface, it can only have 2-3 matches in a given day. Else the court suffers due to overplaying. This is why at Wimbledon, pending matches are not moved to CC under lights even when the schedule gets tight due to rain.

raiders_of_the_lost_ark

Posts : 2989
Join date : 2012-07-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Miami 2018

Post by noleisthebest on Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:52 am

I am sure both Queens and Halle could last another round/day with their grass...they don’t look much smaller than Monte Carlo.

Now is the time  to strike and do stg about it, while Federer is still playing.

Remember haw grass got nearly extinct a few years ago...and used to be the main playing surface in the past.

noleisthebest

Posts : 26329
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Miami 2018

Post by barrystar on Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:31 am

raiders_of_the_lost_ark wrote:
noleisthebest wrote:I am really glad Fed is playing.
Looking through the draw, it looks “thin”...

Delpo and Fed are the only healthy in-form players, everyone else is a joke.

Also, Chung - the only youngster with a level head on his shoulders, others (Shapo, Rublev etc) are carrying on like babies: one or two rounds and that’s it.

Where is the heart of BB to storm the tournament and just do it!

I can’t wait for tennis to move to Europe...this “sunshine double”  should be replaced by grass tournaments, the calendar reshuffled...why are they even bothering if tennis is such a z-list sport in the US....

They don’t deserve 3x1000 masters plus a slam.

Wouldn’t it be cool to have a masters 1000 on grass in the UK and even Germany?
I have nothing against all the tournaments on clay, all good.

There could be many valid reasons for it. Masters 1000 Tournament Need to have certain major  infrastructure requirements to be met. I don't think either Halle/Queens/NewPort have the required number of courts to have draw of size 64/96 to accommodate this many matches in 7 days. 

Grass is a delicate surface, it can only have 2-3 matches in a given day. Else the court suffers due to overplaying. This is why at Wimbledon, pending matches are not moved to CC under lights even when the schedule gets tight due to rain.


These are valid points - but if we are sticking to men only tournaments (6/9 masters have both) I would counter that except for the Sunshine Double all Masters 1000 tournaments have smaller draws than 64, e.g. Paris has 48 and a smaller qualifying tournament than Halle for example (24 vs. 32).  I think that there could be a way were that the only issue.

I suspect that the bigger problem is that to attract the sponsorship to justify its greater status and prize money &c a Masters must be compulsory meaning: (i) it's not obvious which of Halle or Queens you do that for, or, rather, it is - Halle has the better facilities for crowds so it's good-bye Queens as a tournament with any status; and, (ii) you almost certainly need an extra week for the grass season because a huge high value compulsory tournament in the middle of the 3 weeks between RG and Wimbledon doesn't fit without crushing the rather attractive season of grass-court tournaments spread over northern Europe which the players use to acclimatise and which attract a good spread of big names as each guy works out the schedule that suits his game best.

I can't see much call for adding another week - now a grass Court lover can play in 5 grass court tournaments over possibly 6 weeks of play if he does well at Wimbledon.  I think that's pretty good given that grass is such a niche surface geographically and expense-wise.

I thought making Halle and Queens 500's and adding one week to the Grass Court season made a great deal of sense - I think that's about as far as it is realistic to go.

barrystar

Posts : 324
Join date : 2017-11-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Miami 2018

Post by Tenez on Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:11 pm

I agree that a TMS1000 on grass should be nice. But what I really like about grass is that there is in effect just one big tournament everybody wants to win. You cannot prepare for it like one can with the others. You come with what you have and try to do your best there....and talent is usually needed more than on the other surfaces.

So the grass season is short but intense....and I cannot complain much.

Tenez

Posts : 18537
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Miami 2018

Post by noleisthebest on Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:31 pm

So Serena does lose to Osaka in round one.

After, Nole, Stan, Nishi, Nadal, Serena’s looks like another difficult and slow comeback and it puts Federer’s AO ‘17 triumphant return on an almost miraculous pedestal.



noleisthebest

Posts : 26329
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Miami 2018

Post by noleisthebest on Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:35 pm

Saw a couple of games of Shapo-Troicki...Shapo was serving for the match at 5:1 and ended up winning it thanks to Troicki’s DF in the TB!

I am beginning to get worried about him...looks like he has an unhealthy relationship with his mother who is holding some soft toy in front of her during matches for Shapo to look at...and every time he makes a mistake he talks to her in Russian, justifying himself...

noleisthebest

Posts : 26329
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Miami 2018

Post by legendkillar on Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:48 am

barrystar wrote:
legendkillar wrote:
barrystar wrote:
legendkillar wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/43477213

Agree fully

No you don't - not according to this exchange with me yesterday, when you said you don't like the protected ranking system which ensures Serena is in the draw, but does not protect her seeding:

barrystar wrote:

legendkillar wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/43464868

What a load of crap!

Having a child is a choice! Not something imposed.

Used to respect Blake. Just a bit of a twat in my eyes now.


They get a protected ranking, so they can enter the tournament - I think that keeping their ranking on ice for seeding is unfair on those who have been grinding away whilst the star was absent.  You've got to choose between respecting the work of a player on tour over the 12 months during which she has acquired her current ranking and not being overly harsh on people who go away to have a baby.  The protected ranking system seems to me to be about right.  I can't help wondering that an element of this may be because it's Serena.  If she 'lets it be known' that this is her thinking, how many smaller fish like Blake will have the nuts to say that it's right how it is....?  Of course - I am speculating, she may have said nothing.


See I disagree with the protected ranking system. Injuries, absences, breaks all happen as part of any sport. If you are good enough, you'll reach the level you once operated at. It's the implication she should have an easier draw. Utter nonsense.

They need to put up or shut up.




Erm yes I do agree with the comments she made around pregnancy and having children disadvantaged players. 

If you want me to further publish the transcript and highlight specifics I agree with, I will do.

I wouldn't bother going to the trouble - I thought that what she said pretty much echoed what I had said, including being in favour of protected rankings, but that you disagreed with that.  I accept that you agree with the rest - hence my reference only to protected rankings.

On another note - this is a typically balanced Guardian take on the subject https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2018/mar/21/serena-williams-mother-tennis-hate-criticism-baby

Don't know If personally I'd consider that balanced. It was more of a sympathetic nod to Serena. I think what the article didn't do a good job on is trying to marry the controversy Serena in terms of equality eg IW of 2001 to the issue arising in Miami. For once actually Serena hasn't brought this situation down on herself as she has Blake to thank for that.

I am pretty sure this will rumble on as she finds her way back. Very similar to Sharapova when she was on hand outs from tournament in a bid to get back to the top.

On a totally unrelated note to the story, I think what SJW are seeing is that if they clamber for all things equal, they start to see not everything in it's entire sense can be "equal" which is why I always wince at the first sign of a SJW going for the equality flag.

legendkillar

Posts : 2188
Join date : 2012-10-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Miami 2018

Post by barrystar on Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:00 pm

I was being ironic about the Guardian article - it views everything Serena through the eyes of her being the victim of racism/misogyny when clearly the issue about her seeding post pregnancy is neither.  If I'm right that she hasn't said anything yet, I think she's right to keep her own counsel.

barrystar

Posts : 324
Join date : 2017-11-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Miami 2018

Post by Slippy on Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:46 pm

That Guardian article is appalling. 

On a separate note, I’ve always found it a little bit strange that a “protected ranking” only gives access to tournaments, not seedings. I’d be more than happy for that to change but, of course, that should then apply across all athletes out injured rather than just those returning from pregnancy (or just Serena). 

The other ridiculous point here is that Osaka isn’t seeded herself. This means that, even if Serena had been number 1 seed, she could still have faced her in her first match. That point seems to be being totally ignored in articles like the Guardian one.

Slippy

Posts : 272
Join date : 2016-10-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Miami 2018

Post by legendkillar on Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:42 pm

barrystar wrote:I was being ironic about the Guardian article - it views everything Serena through the eyes of her being the victim of racism/misogyny when clearly the issue about her seeding post pregnancy is neither.  If I'm right that she hasn't said anything yet, I think she's right to keep her own counsel.


Apologies barry. My wit radar has been rather crap this week.

Indeed the article was dreadful.

You are right she hasn't and is wise not to I have to agree. It's a fire which doesn't need further stoking.

legendkillar

Posts : 2188
Join date : 2012-10-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Miami 2018

Post by bogbrush on Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:00 pm

Guardian “journalists” are almost all low-intelligence SJW style rich kids who spout garbage. They see everything through the lens of leftard intersectionality. Just look at that guy, a total beta who doesn’t even realise most WTA tournaments ARE COMPLETELY SEPARATE from ATP events.

Ironically the rag loses piles of money and is only kept afloat because it’s funded by a tax haven based Trust. Typically hypocritical.

bogbrush

Posts : 1906
Join date : 2015-03-30
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Miami 2018

Post by noleisthebest on Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:22 pm

Just tuned in. 3:2.
Impressive serving from Nole.

noleisthebest

Posts : 26329
Join date : 2012-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Miami 2018

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum