Our Tennis Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» I Just Can't Help Believing!
davis - Huge changes to Davis Cup... EmptySat Mar 23, 2024 9:00 pm by noleisthebest

» The Bullshit of Rafael Nadal
davis - Huge changes to Davis Cup... EmptyMon Feb 12, 2024 12:15 am by Daniel2

» Why Trump's 'tough' stance on radical Islam... could lead to more terrorism
davis - Huge changes to Davis Cup... EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:32 am by Daniel2

» Missing Madeline 10 years on..
davis - Huge changes to Davis Cup... EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:31 am by Daniel2

» '15 Dubious Weak Era Records'
davis - Huge changes to Davis Cup... EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:06 am by Daniel2

» AO 2024 - Sinner baby!!
davis - Huge changes to Davis Cup... EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:05 am by Daniel2

» Paris Masters
davis - Huge changes to Davis Cup... EmptyMon Nov 06, 2023 9:47 pm by noleisthebest

» Alvarez could bring me back to tennis
davis - Huge changes to Davis Cup... EmptyWed Sep 20, 2023 10:25 am by raiders_of_the_lost_ark

» IDEMOOOOOOO! ! ! !
davis - Huge changes to Davis Cup... EmptyMon Sep 11, 2023 9:47 am by noleisthebest

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

Huge changes to Davis Cup...

5 posters

Go down

davis - Huge changes to Davis Cup... Empty Huge changes to Davis Cup...

Post by luvsports! Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:38 pm

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

davis - Huge changes to Davis Cup... Empty Re: Huge changes to Davis Cup...

Post by legendkillar Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:45 pm

I agree with the format.

Disagree with the frequency. Season ending? Change that and it might have a chance. 

Didn't say anything on venue. As with above, that would rule Grass out as a surface.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:50 pm

Well, that doesn’t sound anything like the old Davis Cup which I like in all its old ways.

Two singles matches and a doubles...and that’s it!
It looks almost like Hopman cup...or Laver Cup.

To me, it doesn’t compare to the drama of 5 best of 5 matches over a weekend.

The only advantage would be that most “good” players may be likely to take part, not because of their sudden “new” patriotism but extra $$$.

Serbian media have been covering a story that Djokovic and Gerard Pique (!!!) have been negotiatong a deal with ATP & some Chinese megabuckers to bring this new DC to China...the closest they’d get to a slam I suppose.

I’d hate Davis Cup to turn into a cheap circus like that.

Djokovic is not the wisest businesman, says yes too easily.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:04 pm

I couldn’t give a shiny s***e.

Eventually it’s going to dawn upon them that tennis is an individual sport beloved of people who like doing things their own way and who are less likely to be enthralled by team formats.

Personal story: when as a young man I had an interview for a very highly paid job with a big American company they asked me about my leisure activity. I said I played tennis knowing quite well that I was hinting at contra-indications of being a ‘team player’. They duly bit and asked whether I liked other sports and I said “I realise you’re wondering why I don’t play team sports, well truth is I like tennis where I go out and fight the other guy and win or lose on my own. If that’s giving the wrong indications, well I guess I can say I play some doubles”. I got the job no problem, guess they preferred the independence over formula teamy-teamy crap.

bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:06 pm

Davis cup is not a team sport, it’s a team event played by individuals out of love for their people and country.

There is more to sport than ego trips.

Like a 4x100m relay race for example.

National pride is a normal, healthy thing for most people.

Not sure why you are allergic to it, though.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:40 am

I would be happy if they ditched it altogether.  The only purpose of Davis Cup in the calendar as far as I am concerned is that it gives me break from tennis.  I am not sure I have ever seen a single Davis Cup match in my life (I watched a set or so of Rafa vs Delpo a few years back, and I think that is about it in my  ~40 years of watching tennis).

But I understand that some people may like it as is, and may want to keep the tradition going, so at the end of the day, I am ok either way - whether they keep it or not.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:20 am

bogbrush wrote:I couldn’t give a shiny s***e.

Eventually it’s going to dawn upon them that tennis is an individual sport beloved of people who like doing things their own way and who are less likely to be enthralled by team formats.

Personal story: when as a young man I had an interview for a very highly paid job with a big American company they asked me about my leisure activity. I said I played tennis knowing quite well that I was hinting at contra-indications of being a ‘team player’. They duly bit and asked whether I liked other sports and I said “I realise you’re wondering why I don’t play team sports, well truth is I like tennis where I go out and fight the other guy and win or lose on my own. If that’s giving the wrong indications, well I guess I can say I play some doubles”. I got the job no problem, guess they preferred the independence over formula teamy-teamy crap.

I do see a place for the Davis Cup. However, not on an annual basis though. You could say the same for golf, yet the Ryder Cup catches everyone's imagination.

I like to see the Davis Cup run every 2 years, the period between post Wimbledon and the US Swing. Neutral venue. Participants are based on a one tie play off which is played in between post AO and IW. For them trying to get a season ending finale will diminish it's value given I would wager the majority of the top 8 would prefer a shot at the WTF than the DC.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:57 am

The Ryder Cup does motivate me, but only to support the US because I can’t stand the jingoistic commentary and I equally cannot stand being described as a ‘European’.

I’ve been called contrary by some, though I disagree.

bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:02 am

noleisthebest wrote:Davis cup is not a team sport, it’s a team event played by individuals out of love for their people and country.

I am proud of my countries history and sometimes my fellow citizens give me hope (like June 2016) but I see no connection between that and the success of various sportsmen & women who happen to come from here too.

bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:26 am

bogbrush wrote:The Ryder Cup does motivate me, but only to support the US because I can’t stand the jingoistic commentary and I equally cannot stand being described as a ‘European’.

I’ve been called contrary by some, though I disagree.

I have to say it's the fierceness of the competition between the teams I enjoy. They genuinely want to win it.

Problem DC faces it now has the Laver Cup which is similar format in some ways. 

Seems tennis is in search of the perfect team event. They can get it. Just need to be more pragmatic and imaginative about it. The latest changes reek of organisers who frankly don't give a shit about it.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:33 am

legendkillar wrote:
I have to say it's the fierceness of the competition between the teams I enjoy. They genuinely want to win it.
Seems tennis is in search of the perfect team event. They can get it. Just need to be more pragmatic and imaginative about it. The latest changes reek of organisers who frankly don't give a shit about it.
Well, need I repeat that a Spanish footballer (!!!) is one of the main movers and shakers in these changes...

Tennis has become such a big business it’s going to collapse very quickly after Federer retires.

Everyone wants a piece of it, TV companies, meaningless sponsors etc...they are pushing hard to dumb it down with new rules, allowing coaching, no deuce, no let....DC is just one of the casualties. (and let’s not forget Nadal’s push for 2 year protected ranking etc)

Shame.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:46 am

bogbrush wrote:
noleisthebest wrote:Davis cup is not a team sport, it’s a team event played by individuals out of love for their people and country.
I am proud of my countries history and sometimes my fellow citizens give me hope (like June 2016) but I see no connection between that and the success of various sportsmen & women who happen to come from here too.

The connection is love for the country and people, which stems from shared history and values.

So when A. Murray for example fights for GB in Davis Cup, he symbolises that history and values...

Maybe in the heart of his hearts he is fighting for Scotland, but that’s the same thing, anyway.

Those athletes may not all be your cup of tea on all levels, that’s secondary.

When you say June 2016, do you mean Brexit?

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:28 pm

noleisthebest wrote:
legendkillar wrote:
Well, need I repeat that a Spanish footballer (!!!) is one of the main movers and shakers in these changes...

Tennis has become such a big business it’s going to collapse very quickly after Federer retires.

Everyone wants a piece of it, TV companies, meaningless sponsors etc...they are pushing hard to dumb it down with new rules, allowing coaching, no deuce, no let....DC is just one of the casualties. (and let’s not forget Nadal’s push for 2 year protected ranking etc)

Shame.

Sponsors and what have you will only invest if the format and the tournament will generate the level of interest required. Essentially if the players aren't interested, the viewing public won't be either. 

I think host venues can absolutely spark huge interest in an international sporting event. The World Cup 2002 was the last time I was captivated by a World Cup. The South Korea fans were magnificent from start to finish during that tournament and imagine the DC for example being in Japan or in South America and the wave of support and new markets that opens for the sport. 

That's what the DC needs to do. Inspire nations.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:14 pm

noleisthebest wrote:
bogbrush wrote:

The connection is love for the country and people, which stems from shared history and values.

So when A. Murray for example fights for GB in Davis Cup, he symbolises that history and values...

Maybe in the heart of his hearts he is fighting for Scotland, but that’s the same thing, anyway.

Those athletes may not all be your cup of tea on all levels, that’s secondary.

When you say June 2016, do you mean Brexit?
Yes, Brexit.

The rest, no. Andy Murray means nothing to me. The fact this country developed a system of Common Law unmatched in the World does.

bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:47 pm

bogbrush wrote:
Yes, Brexit.

The rest, no. Andy Murray means nothing to me. The fact this country developed a system of Common Law unmatched in the World does.

Well, I voted brexit but would never support a Brit over a Serb in a sports competition.

It’s an interesting divide, values vs patriotism.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down