Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Canada/Cincinnati Masters Series
Today at 3:46 am by summerblues

» Shot clock
Yesterday at 1:33 pm by bogbrush

» ATP 250/500 Tournaments 2018 Thread: Rio, Marseille, Delray
Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:37 pm by Jahu

» Wilander: On Federer’s Balls, Beating Nadal at RG And More....
Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:17 pm by noleisthebest

» Tennis News
Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:38 pm by luvsports!

» USO 2018 Talk
Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:46 pm by DEC1M7

» The doping program joke of the ITF!!!
Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:32 am by Slippy

» Serena at it again!
Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:05 am by legendkillar

» Djokovic's greatest triumph
Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:22 pm by bogbrush

August 2018
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

ATP 500 Acapulco

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

ATP 500 Acapulco

Post by gallery play on Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:00 pm

Not too easy draw for Nadal. Until the semis: Lopez, Kokki, Querrey (maybe Chung in the semi)

Still, all the big names (Delpo, Zverev, Nishi, Thiem) are in the bottom half, as well as the possible tricky ones: Isner, Schwartz, Shapo, Rublev. So Nadal can't complain..again

http://www.atpworldtour.com/en/scores/current/acapulco/807/draws

gallery play

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ATP 500 Acapulco

Post by Tenez on Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:05 pm

Well..what can you say. A very good field...yet they are all in the bottom half again!

Tenez

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest on Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:03 pm

gallery play wrote:Not too easy draw for Nadal. Until the semis: Lopez, Kokki, Querrey (maybe Chung in the semi)

Still, all the big names (Delpo, Zverev, Nishi, Thiem) are in the bottom half, as well as the possible tricky ones: Isner, Schwartz, Shapo, Rublev. So Nadal can't complain..again

Good!

With Fed not playing Dubai we can at least have some excitement from hoping Nadal may lose.

I forgot how Lopez plays on clay...but he is Spanish and a SBH...so a dream intro for Nadal.

And it’s criminal that Shapo is playing Nishi i R1 Grr

On paper, noone in the field is in any decent form, so Nadal may bluff through the draw, unless Kokki gets motivated a la Kyrgios.

Ah well...better than nothing!

Let’s try and suss out what we can expect from Nadal for the rest of season.

Because if he can be kept in check without winning a slam this year, it’s going to be tough for him to catch up post 2018.

I think Nole should be ready for clay, but have no idea how his arm will hold.

noleisthebest

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by luvsports! on Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:15 pm

Nitb, Acapulco is on outdoor hardcourts.

luvsports!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest on Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:42 pm

luvsports! wrote:Nitb, Acapulco is on outdoor hardcourts.
Blush Blush Blush

On second thoughts, even better!
Though, it’s probably going to be slow.

noleisthebest

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest on Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:07 pm

Btw, until when is Fed’s number one safe?

Will he get to keep it for IW of Nadal reaches SF in Acapulco?

noleisthebest

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez on Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:07 pm

Yes up to IW....but not after. Nadal has not much to defend in IW (was sent packing early by Federer - was that 1/4F) but he has a Final to defend in Miami....Fed has way too much to defend so I expect him to minimise damage and put the pressure back on Nadal's clay season.

Tenez

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush on Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:07 pm

Just a straightforward defence of the sunshine double and the pressures back on a Nadal.

Be nice if he could finally slip up through the clay season, Federer would be miles ahead.

bogbrush

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel on Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:27 am

Nadal's injured beyond repair. That's why he's playing.

Daniel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues on Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:47 am

Rafa's draw is not that easy. Lopez has a decent H2H vs him, and won their last two matches (albeit vs out-of-form Rafa) and Querrey beat Rafa in the final here last year.

summerblues

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues on Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:48 am

nitb: when is Nole back?  Is he playing IW/Miami or is he out of commission until later?

summerblues

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez on Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:54 am

summerblues wrote:Rafa's draw is not that easy.  Lopez has a decent H2H vs him, and won their last two matches (albeit vs out-of-form Rafa) and Querrey beat Rafa in the final here last year.
All players can be dangerous...but i can't see how he could have had an easier draw considering the seeding. .

h

Tenez

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez on Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:09 am

gallery play wrote:Not too easy draw for Nadal. Until the semis: Lopez, Kokki, Querrey (maybe Chung in the semi)

Frankly.....how did he manage to avoid all those guys?

Tenez

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest on Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:25 pm

Breaking news!

Gulbis seen alive and playing on my gym’s big TV.

Looking less coherent than ever.

But somehow he is hanging in, an odd good bh here and there..., still carrying that old belief.

Even if it’s only a facade.

In a way, it’s sad to see him so slow and outdated.

Now that’s what I call decline.

noleisthebest

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest on Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:44 pm

I don’t know what’s happened to Pouille.
He’s become such a safe and dull player.

noleisthebest

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest on Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:45 pm

Prediction time:

Nishi-Shapo

I haven't seen Nishi play for ages, so will go with the heart - Shapo in three. Big Grin

noleisthebest

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest on Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:03 pm

Watching Gulbis amd Pouille, both attacking players, they are moving like tree trunks compared to Fed.

No way has Fed declined, he is smoother than ever.

noleisthebest

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest on Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:23 pm

summerblues wrote:nitb: when is Nole back?  Is he playing IW/Miami or is he out of commission until later?
He is signed to play in IW, but I am not sure he will.

Probably clay.

He is in my very bad books because of his involvement in DC mutilation, but I liked what I saw in this latest clip:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BftSSxKjuOx/?taken-by=djokernole

Flattening his FH.

noleisthebest

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez on Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:02 pm

noleisthebest wrote:[
Flattening his FH.

Much easier on the elbow...but you know the consequences....less consistency, less angles, shorter rallies.....not sure it will work in his favour...especially under pressure. Not everybody can pull winners under pressure.

Tenez

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest on Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:19 pm

Yes I know the consequences...

But I still think it would be better for him...to revert to “old” young Nole of 10 years ago.

He doesn’t need to be a winning machine any more.

Not sure if he is mentally able to play like that, that’s my only question mark.
Having said that, going flat may be his only option left if the elbow is bad, that would bethe best, hehe.

He has a great chance to go for it in style, why not?

He definitely tried in AO and it looked much better,

We’ll see.

noleisthebest

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez on Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:57 pm

close 1st set between Nishi n Shapo.

Tenez

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest on Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:09 pm

Shapo is very generous when losing.

He wins effortlessly he loses effortlessly.

Still work in progress. Needs to “pro” up a bit and take some points more seriously.

noleisthebest

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez on Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:12 pm

he is also rushed by Nishi.

Fed was not rushed by Pete.

Tenez

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest on Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:27 pm

Disgusting umpiring.
I am not watching this farce.

noleisthebest

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez on Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:34 pm

I can't put the sound up ...hat happened?

Tenez

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues on Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:27 am

Nadal pulls out of Acapulco, apparently with the same injury as in the AO.  I wonder whether the injury is really bad or whether he just did not feel like playing, especially now that Fed got to No 1 anyway.  If it is indeed the same injury as in the AO, and it is still not healed properly, then I doubt he will be ready to play IW/Miami.

Are maybe Rafa's, Andy's, Nole's and Stan's bodies starting to give out?  They are all 30+ and it is usually difficult to play well much past that age.

My dream of seeing Fed in the Wimbledon SF against three youngsters after Rafa/Nole/Andy retire is still alive smiley

summerblues

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez on Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:22 am

I thought his injury in AO was a pulled muscle

I honestly hope he will be fit soon....
And not because I care about his records.

Tenez

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar on Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:35 am

This yesterday:
Tough one, of course. Yesterday in the last practice I felt something... I went to the hospital this morning to check it, to do an MRI and I still have some liquid there, so I need to keep doing tests to know what exactly is going on. The spot is really similar to Australia, so I need to be sure about what’s going on the next couple of days, and then we’re going to work hard to try to recover as soon as possible,” Nadal said
This in Australia
“The MRI showed a grade 1 injury of his illiopsoas on his right leg,” 

According to Wiki
The iliopsoas is the strongest of the hip flexors (others are rectus femorissartorius, and tensor fasciae latae). The iliopsoas is important for standingwalking, and running

Connection? No doubt others on here understand these matters better than I do.  Perhaps he'd be wise to concentrate on getting ready for the clay, because I'm sure that the different surfaces ask different questions of the flexors in that area.

barrystar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez on Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:53 am

Nadal has about 700 points to defend between IW and Miami. Being already 600 pts behind Federer, Federer may be able to keep his number 1 status till end of Wimbledon if he is doing ok in the next 4 weeks (has to 710point (2 SFs equivalent) and Nadal does not play there.

Not a long stretch.

Tenez

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest on Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:11 am

summerblues wrote:Nadal pulls out of Acapulco, apparently with the same injury as in the AO.  I wonder whether the injury is really bad or whether he just did not feel like playing, especially now that Fed got to No 1 anyway.  If it is indeed the same injury as in the AO, and it is still not healed properly, then I doubt he will be ready to play IW/Miami.
I feel robbed!

I think he’s injured, otherwise he’d go and scoop some easy points like Fed did in Rotterdam.

Nadal likes pain, so it must be stg serious for him not to play.

Alternatively, he is “cycling up” for clay, but I am not an expert in how all that works.
We need Veejay to throw some light on it again.
summerblues wrote:

Are maybe Rafa's, Andy's, Nole's and Stan's bodies starting to give out?  They are all 30+ and it is usually difficult to play well much past that age.

Murray and Stan seem to be in real trouble.

Serious injuries and the difficulty in returning to a very demanding top circuit.
Unless you are tip-top physically it’s bye-bye titles and trophies.
Especially for Murray and Nadal.

The question is can they recover from those injuries and pick up where they left.

That really puts Fed’s comeback last year on an even higher level now.
summerblues wrote:

My dream of seeing Fed in the Wimbledon SF against three youngsters after Rafa/Nole/Andy retire is still alive smiley

That’s a very nice dream, but I doubt it’ll come true this year.
Though, one never knows.

Last edited by noleisthebest on Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:21 am; edited 4 times in total

noleisthebest

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar on Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:15 am

I wonder what goes on behind the scenes with Nadal. Fed nowadays is obviously ruthless about protecting his health and his family life - everything else apparently comes second.  No doubt he has lined up his commercial arrangements so that he can't be pressured into doing something he does not want to - whether that involves a compromise as to how much he gets must be speculation, but I suspect the more control you keep from your sponsor the less money you get.

Although Nadal is much younger, he started winning big younger and I would have thought that as well as complete legal exemption from Masters commitments (see below) Nadal has a similar 'elder statesman' status, not to mention a more enhanced injury record, so that he could persuade his sponsors to let him do something similar at an acceptable cost to a very rich man.  He's got nothing to prove to anyone, so I don't understand why he is in a position that he flogs himself so hard with such an obvious attendant risk of injury given his past.  He himself says that there's too much HC - but he has it within his power now to make a powerful point by playing much less.

1.08 Reduction of ATP World Tour Masters 1000 Commitment 
A. A player’s number of ATP World Tour Masters 1000 commitment tournaments shall be reduced by one (1) tournament for reaching each of the following milestones: 1) 600 matches* (as of 1 January of the commitment year); 2) 12 years of service; 3) 30 years of age (as of 1 January of the commitment year).
If all three (3) conditions are met then the player has a complete exemption from ATP World Tour Masters 1000 player commitment

http://www.atpworldtour.com/-/media/files/rulebook/2017/2017-atp-rulebook_chapter-i.pdf

barrystar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest on Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:41 am

barrystar wrote:I wonder what goes on behind the scenes with Nadal. Fed nowadays is obviously ruthless about protecting his health and his family life - everything else apparently comes second.  No doubt he has lined up his commercial arrangements so that he can't be pressured into doing something he does not want to - whether that involves a compromise as to how much he gets must be speculation, but I suspect the more control you keep from your sponsor the less money you get.
Well, what else is there to protect, sponsors’ profit?
Interests of characters like Krajicek and Larry Ellison?
Of RG organisers who provide massive fluffy balls to suit Nadal every year?

ha, ha...HA!

Fed has pulled a Houdini with his comeback.

Nobody could have predicted it, not even him after that fall vs Raonic in Wimbledon.

This is as if he had been born again, a new life, and it feels so light and free.

Like he has been given renewed health to make this final statement for all the right values he has been standing for during his whole career.

And the whole world can just look and admire and applaud him on that remarkable effort and  perseverance.

Especially after that annus horribilis, 2014.

I’ll never forget his loss to I think Daniel Brands in Gstaad.
He almost played on crutches there.

And never moaned about those injuries at the time.

So, good on him to look after this latest gift of “new life” and play when he is ready.

Because this final stretch is all about joy. Bubbly

Almost like a well earnt honorary lap of Victory.

I am particularly pleased he snubbed all those who have been retiring him since 2012...
Saying he has lost a step...hailing new king Nadal.
(I stil can’t believe Krajicek said Fed was not in top 8 of all time. Is that the stupidest statement in the history of tennis or what!!!)
barrystar wrote:
Although Nadal is much younger, he started winning big younger and I would have thought that as well as complete legal exemption from Masters commitments (see below) Nadal has a similar 'elder statesman' status, not to mention a more enhanced injury record, so that he could persuade his sponsors to let him do something similar at an acceptable cost to a very rich man.  He's got nothing to prove to anyone, so I don't understand why he is in a position that he flogs himself so hard with such an obvious attendant risk of injury given his past.  He himself says that there's too much HC - but he has it within his power now to make a powerful point by playing much less.
Maybe not in your eyes, but he has everything to prove to himself.
Nadal is still desperate to overtake Federer’s slam record.

He’d play with bionic legs of he could.

His whole game was build around destroying Federer’s and now that that same game is toothless, he is beginning to feel pains and injuries he wasn’t feeling last year.

The loss in AO17 (cemented by the other three from Fed) was collossal in that respect.

As for Nadal earning status of elder statesman, I am afraid he will have to go by the book just like everyone else.

He’s been burning his candle at both ends amd it comes with the price, same as for Murray, Nole and Stan.

Grin and bear like Federer in 2014.

noleisthebest

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez on Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:50 am

To me the Houdini is nadal. How did he manage to comeback to number 1 with only a good clay season (albeit extended to the USO! clay court).

I don;t think he was very convincing on proper HC which is played on about 75% of the entire year....yet managed to grab it. Thanks of course to some key players missing and Federer being injured.

Tenez

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest on Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:53 am

Tenez wrote:To me the Houdini is nadal. How did he manage to comeback to number 1 with only a good clay season (albeit extended to the USO! clay court).

I don;t think he was very convincing on proper HC which is played on about 75% of the entire year....yet managed to grab it. Thanks of course to some key players missing and Federer being injured.

Nadal’s Houdini is in TDs’ hands. No magic there.

His 2017 was predictable.

Pushed his “luck” with those big muscles as far as he could and made many finals.

He’s been doing it all his career.

noleisthebest

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by raiders_of_the_lost_ark on Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:57 am

If anyone cares, Dubai ATP field was weak to start of with and just got weaker with the loss of top-seed Dimitrov in 2nd rnd against Jaziri after winning the 1st set.

Where is John Mac and his assertions that this Dimi is a new player compared to last year.

So much for the #nextATPNumber1

raiders_of_the_lost_ark

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest on Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:58 am

Tenez wrote:I can't put the sound up ...hat happened?
Forst of all, Shapo and Nishi, probably the most watchable match even by sponsors’ sta dards was put on coirt three kond of status, with NO hawkeye.

The umpire (Damian stg) was particularly pathetic.

Shapo was robbed of at least 2-3 aces which were called out in that first set.

The umpire just sat in his chair like a holy cow (I think he umpired AO18 final) and was doing nothing.

And then decided to step in and overrule a line judge on deuce and call Nishi’s ball in.

Shapo lost it, and I felt for him.

So I turned the match off.

And was so happy to see he won in three like I predicted Big Grin.

noleisthebest

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest on Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:00 am

raiders_of_the_lost_ark wrote:If anyone cares, Dubai ATP field was weak to start of with and just got weaker with the loss of top-seed Dimitrov in 2nd rnd against Jaziri after winning the 1st set.

Where is John Mac and his assertions that this Dimi is a new player compared to last year.

So much for the #nextATPNumber1

Yes, I saw that...he lost to Jaziri...who is a pretty good player but not the one Dimi should lose to.

Dimi’s time is running out in a way.

He is not improving and the you gsters are catching up fast.

On the other point, I think Dubai’s field looks ok.

noleisthebest

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez on Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:14 am

noleisthebest wrote:
Tenez wrote:I can't put the sound up ...hat happened?
Forst of all, Shapo and Nishi, probably the most watchable match even by sponsors’ sta dards was put on coirt three kond of status, with NO hawkeye.

The umpire (Damian stg) was particularly pathetic.

Shapo was robbed of at least 2-3 aces which were called out in that first set.

The umpire just sat in his chair like a holy cow (I think he umpired  AO18 final) and was doing nothing.

And then decided to step in and overrule a line judge on deuce and call Nishi’s  ball in.

Shapo lost it, and I felt for him.

So I turned the match off.

And was so happy to see he won in three like I predicted Big Grin.

I did not realise he over-ruled it...that was on damian's far line as well. Really stupid. It was a game point actually for Shapo....and ended up losing it.

Nishi then lost his mouvement in that second set onwards

Tenez

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar on Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:05 pm

I do wonder (even though I've spoken against like some have) if Federer will consider the FO? There's a big opportunity it seems developing given I don't see Nadal or Djokovic being anywhere near fit enough to win it. With the No.1 in the bag, surely with that must be worth a punt?

legendkillar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez on Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:07 pm

yes though for me the point of playing the FO for Fed is to attempt to beat a fitish Nadal.

Tenez

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest on Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:43 pm

I dunno what to think of Fed and clay.

If FO provide decent balls, then maybe.
But if Fed & Pagan ini deemit risky for his longevity then I can live without it.

A tough call.

noleisthebest

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest on Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:44 pm

Tenez wrote:yes though for me the point of playing the FO for Fed is to attempt to beat a fitish Nadal.

That is such a funny word. Laugh
Esp next to Nadal’s name!

noleisthebest

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest on Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:51 pm

So...
We have a Shapo-Thiem today.

Now that one will be interesting.

I’ll have to go with Shapo again. This time in straights. diva

noleisthebest

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel on Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:25 pm

Tenez wrote:yes though for me the point of playing the FO for Fed is to attempt to beat a fitish Nadal.

Fed won't reach the final.  He will also ruin his chances of Wimbledon if he enters.  So he won't enter.

Daniel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez on Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:18 pm

Shapo and Chung teaming for double.....v Murray Soares.

Tenez

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest on Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:46 am

So according to the scores, Shapo goes down meekly in straight sets to Thiem...

How did that happen? Sad

noleisthebest

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel on Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:25 am

Because Shap is 18. That's how human biology works. It will be a few years before Shap is at his best.

Daniel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez on Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:04 pm

I m surprised Acapulco is playing their QF on Thursday. I understand why Dubai does but not Mexico.

Anyway some good matches today:

Pouille v Sugita
Anderson v Chung
Zverev Harrison
Delpo v Thiem (a revenge taste for Thiem)

Tenez

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest on Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:56 pm

Daniel wrote:Because Shap is 18. That's how human biology works. It will be a few years before Shap is at his best.

Didn’t Nadal win his slam when he was 18, Becker when he was 17?

Shapo has the game to start winning now.

Seems that’s not enough any more.

noleisthebest

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest on Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:00 pm

Tenez wrote:I m surprised Acapulco is playing their QF on Thursday. I understand why Dubai does but not Mexico.

Anyway some good matches today:

Pouille v Sugita
Anderson v Chung
Zverev Harrison
Delpo v Thiem (a revenge taste for Thiem)

Weirdly, with Nadal out, Acapulco has lost its anti-attraction.

So now it’s just another 500 tournament.
Even Shapo is out.

I am keeping an eye on Krajinovic in Dubai.
(And Tsitsipas who knocked Kholi out but seems to be losing to Jaziri atm...is he on fire or what?)

Krajinovic’s been our Serbian hope and promise for the last 10 years, hampered by millioms of injuries, so now that he has ex Karlovic’s coatch Petar the Legend Popovic, finally I can see what all the hype was about. I enjoy watching him.

Despite the tattoed arm and a dodgy relationship with a fame thirsty wag gf...but the man is in loooove!
Colourful this world...

noleisthebest

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next