Our Tennis Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» I Just Can't Help Believing!
federer - Rotterdam - Federer's quest for #1 - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 23, 2024 9:00 pm by noleisthebest

» The Bullshit of Rafael Nadal
federer - Rotterdam - Federer's quest for #1 - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 12, 2024 12:15 am by Daniel2

» Why Trump's 'tough' stance on radical Islam... could lead to more terrorism
federer - Rotterdam - Federer's quest for #1 - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:32 am by Daniel2

» Missing Madeline 10 years on..
federer - Rotterdam - Federer's quest for #1 - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:31 am by Daniel2

» '15 Dubious Weak Era Records'
federer - Rotterdam - Federer's quest for #1 - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:06 am by Daniel2

» AO 2024 - Sinner baby!!
federer - Rotterdam - Federer's quest for #1 - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:05 am by Daniel2

» Paris Masters
federer - Rotterdam - Federer's quest for #1 - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 06, 2023 9:47 pm by noleisthebest

» Alvarez could bring me back to tennis
federer - Rotterdam - Federer's quest for #1 - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 20, 2023 10:25 am by raiders_of_the_lost_ark

» IDEMOOOOOOO! ! ! !
federer - Rotterdam - Federer's quest for #1 - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 11, 2023 9:47 am by noleisthebest

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

Rotterdam - Federer's quest for #1

+8
Tenez
summerblues
Jahu
gallery play
Daniel
noleisthebest
bogbrush
barrystar
12 posters

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

federer - Rotterdam - Federer's quest for #1 - Page 2 Empty Re: Rotterdam - Federer's quest for #1

Post by gallery play Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:56 am

barrystar wrote:Oooer, so Stan loses to Griekspoor in 3 sets, meaning that the prospective path to #1 is:

(1) Bemelmans
(2) Kholschreiber
(3) Grikespoor, Haase or de Bakker

it's all doable, but in bo3 on a fast surface you can lose very quickly if you allow your mind to wander ahead.
Just once, Federer lost to a Dutch player, on grass! It was in 2002 against Schalken, whose SH BH actually comes close to Fed's.
Since then, Fed never lost a set against any Dutch player. And he won't this week Cool

gallery play

Back to top Go down

federer - Rotterdam - Federer's quest for #1 - Page 2 Empty Re: Rotterdam - Federer's quest for #1

Post by barrystar Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:14 am

gallery play wrote:
barrystar wrote:Oooer, so Stan loses to Griekspoor in 3 sets, meaning that the prospective path to #1 is:

(1) Bemelmans
(2) Kholschreiber
(3) Grikespoor, Haase or de Bakker

it's all doable, but in bo3 on a fast surface you can lose very quickly if you allow your mind to wander ahead.
Just once, Federer lost to a Dutch player, on grass! It was in 2002 against Schalken, whose SH BH actually comes close to Fed's.
Since then, Fed never lost a set against any Dutch player. And he won't this week Cool

Careful - he might not get there..... He has to beat a Belgian and a German first.

barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:39 am

The court is unforgiving, almost like grass, requires very light feet and/or great anticipation.

Pouille and Rublev not able to keep the ball in play that well.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:14 am

Started watching at 0:3, Ruboev turns it around and wins the first set 7:5.

Simply a more talented and less nervous player than Pouille.

And three and a half years younger.

Little Dragon is surely on his path to become a great player now that he is mixing with the right crowd, not having to play qualies and challengers any more...

And then there is Shapo, who is two years younger than Rubi!!!!

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:02 pm

Breadstick first set in 18 mins, quest looks smooth enough so far.

barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:03 pm

Where is SB? He was scared a little hehe  Big Grin

Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:08 pm

At least the guy can tell his grandchildren he played the Maestro and wasn’t double bagelled.

bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:08 pm

Hahahaha, very positive way to look at it, and sure not many youngsters will get a chance to play Fed.

Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:12 pm

I’m serious though, imagine he will have a few on the Challengers asking him what it’s like.

bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:20 pm

bogbrush wrote:I’m serious though, imagine he will have a few on the Challengers asking him what it’s like.

Absolutely - he's also played Nadal once, back in 2010.  Not everyone down there will have stood on the same Court as the two greatest players of the era.

barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:29 pm

I know this guys not got weapons but Federer looked rather smooth there.

bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by gallery play Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:32 pm

It was like he played against an eight year old..

gallery play

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:47 pm

Bit tough to be on other side of the net for these who never played him, admire him, respect, enjoy the time being with Fed, etc etc, lots of thoughts and feeling, while Fed sends you home in 1h.

Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:50 pm

barrystar wrote:Breadstick first set in 18 mins , quest looks smooth enough so far.
Ouch!
I only saw the first game with three aces.

This court loves good servers.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:52 pm

barrystar wrote:
bogbrush wrote:I’m serious though, imagine he will have a few on the Challengers asking him what it’s like.

Absolutely - he's also played Nadal once, back in 2010.  Not everyone down there will have stood on the same Court as the two greatest players of the era.
not sure I’d agree there...Winking

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:54 pm

Jahu wrote:Bit tough to be on other side of the net for these who never played him, admire him, respect, enjoy the time being with Fed, etc etc, lots of thoughts and feeling, while Fed sends you home in 1h.

I wouldn’t be scared of Fed...I’d just go for it! Cool

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:34 pm

gallery play wrote:It was like he played against an eight year old..

Maybe if they had a brain and tried to mix it up they'd at least make it competitive.  There are so so many brainless players out there.

Daniel

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:37 pm

noleisthebest wrote:
Jahu wrote:Bit tough to be on other side of the net for these who never played him, admire him, respect, enjoy the time being with Fed, etc etc, lots of thoughts and feeling, while Fed sends you home in 1h.

I wouldn’t be scared of Fed...I’d just go for it! Cool

I know you would like go for a lot of things, except you wouldn't...lil lady  Big Grin

Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:11 pm

summerblues wrote:Three days to #1, hopefully.  Surely, Fed will not lose to Grikespoor?

Two days and two nights now.

I have just watched Chariots of Fire after many years.

And I have got even more excited about Fed finishing his race and becoming number one.

Every man has his life as a race given to him by God.

It’s how you run and that you finish the race that matters.

Federer’s career has been a metaphor of that in the realm of sport.

He is now within two last strides before the finish line.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:15 am

Daniel wrote:
gallery play wrote:It was like he played against an eight year old..

Maybe if they had a brain and tried to mix it up they'd at least make it competitive.  There are so so many brainless players out there.

There is not a lot a player can do vs a focused, fit Federer on a slick court.

Can a mule beat a full-blooded stallion?

It’s an unfair expectation.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:05 am

A professional player can get more than a single game, yes. But a rookie player staying to the baseline and letting a 36 year old master do as he pleases won't net you a win. I didn't say "win" i said "competitive".

Daniel

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:11 am

Enoying the highlights https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zu3hJmJny7g he looks so relaxed and sharp on this fast surface at the moment - interesting that for the most part the points that Bemelmans did pick up required a bit of variety or something 'other' from him.

Can Fed be more relaxed?  I'd say probably a little bit if he gets to #1 and scratches one more incredible achievement off his comeback to-do list.  If he does he'll probably be even more difficult to beat.

Here he is telling people how to beat him - the buzzword is 'variety' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOpx02_9pX0

barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:52 am

barrystar wrote:Enoying the highlights https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zu3hJmJny7g he looks so relaxed and sharp on this fast surface at the moment - interesting that for the most part the points that Bemelmans did pick up required a bit of variety or something 'other' from him.
Belemans did as well as he could.
Clearly a few leagues below Fed.
You can see he doesn’t have the confidence to go down the line, his volleys are floaty and not that crisp...
Not ro mention the serve and the rest...

The only thing he could have done better is somehow pretend he was playing someone from challengers and maybe he did at times...but even that didn’t work.
barrystar wrote:

Can Fed be more relaxed?  I'd say probably a little bit if he gets to #1 and scratches one more incredible achievement off his comeback to-do list.  If he does he'll probably be even more difficult to beat.
Good question, and point about being more difficult to beat in that case.

That would be so good to see, Rog back with his 2005 aura.

However crazy it sounds.

barrystar wrote:
Here he is telling people how to beat him - the buzzword is 'variety' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOpx02_9pX0

I think “variety’ is a bluff tactics for Fed because noone has more variety than him.

We saw how Nadal was beating him in the past and it was anything but variety.

Nole was closer to that, his key was hitting the ball hard and deep both to FH and BH, and he could do it because of his excellent returning.

The invitation to be “more aggressive” is I suppose to young guns.

Kyrgios certainly took him on in Miami last year and it was a great match.

Stan does similarly.

Fed wants to play, to have fun, he’s “solved” Nadal. He is almost saying: Bring it on guys! Beat me if you can.

Maybe Nole can still give him run for his money if he sorts out his arm problems.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:13 am

noleisthebest wrote:

barrystar wrote:

I think “variety’ is a bluff tactics for Fed because noone has more variety than him.

We saw how Nadal was beating him in the past and it was anything but variety.

Nole was closer to that, his key was hitting the ball hard and deep both to FH and BH, and he could do it because of his excellent returning.

The invitation to be “more aggressive” is I suppose to young guns.

Kyrgios certainly took him on in Miami last year and it was a great match.

Stan does similarly.

Fed wants to play, to have fun, he’s “solved” Nadal. He is almost saying: Bring it on guys! Beat me if you can.

Maybe Nole can still give him run for his money if he sorts out his arm problems.

I think you've contradicted yourself there a little bit.  If he's genuinely 'solved' Nadal it's not a bluff to say to people that if they adopt a straightforward "Plan A" against him, it most likely won't work.  Djoko largely had Fed's number in the the big matches that really counted (e.g. Slam, Masters, and WTF finals in 2014-2015), but Fed still beat him from time to time and pushed him close in defeat in a way that he could not vs. Nadal during the latter's periods of relative dominance over Fed.

barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:28 am

barrystar wrote:
I think you've contradicted yourself there a little bit.  If he's genuinely 'solved' Nadal it's not a bluff to say to people that if they adopt a straightforward "Plan A" against him, it most likely won't work.  Djoko largely had Fed's number in the the big matches that really counted (e.g. Slam, Masters, and WTF finals in 2014-2015), but Fed still beat him from time to time and pushed him close in defeat in a way that he could not vs. Nadal during the latter's periods of relative dominance over Fed.
How have I contradicted myself?

Who has ever beaten Federer with variety?
It’s impossible as Fed has the most variety (and guts) of all players.

As for Nadal, I can bet he has been working on plan B as you and I are typing all these comments.

He won’t sleep until he beats Fed again.
He used to have only Nole as his nightmare, and now he has two.

For me, Fed’s comment was more to bring the game on to him, show a bit of heart with whatever the opponent has.

And that’s what Nadal, Djokovic and Murray have been doing all their careers vs him.

Fed is like a mirror for the player, or an x-ray.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:17 pm

Contradiction is only minor - saying to players that they need variety to beat him is not a bluff if he knows how to work out fixed tactics, especially when you insinuate from the word "solved" that he's found out the one tactic that was consistently too much for him.

As you say, it's not easy to bet Fed - play him at his game and he's likely to be better at it than you, stick to your guns on a tactic that he's rumbled and you're toast.  So whilst I agree that he's issuing a challenge, it's an honest one, not a 'bluff' (an attempt to deceive) - he's saying you have a better chance vs. him if you are brave and mix it up.

One thing we are both agreed on is that Nadal will be working furiously on a way to beat Fed again.

barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by gallery play Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:14 pm

Fed clocked a 44 sec. game. Is that a record?

Kohl hanging in though 5-4

gallery play

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:24 pm

Ii haven’t seen such a nervous Fed in a long time....

So unlike him to rush that FH on set point. Yikes

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:26 pm

Actually quite a few nervous FHs.

Come on Rogeeeeer! diva

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:26 pm

Oh goodness - echoes of their match in Halle in 2015 which went to 3 sets, Fed winning two tie-breakers, 1 bp to Kohlschreiber's 2 and less points overall?

Last edited by barrystar on Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:27 pm

Kohlshcreiber playing like Nadal’s paid him £1mil to win this. Grr

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by gallery play Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:29 pm

Djeez, Kohlie has 1 good day a year, and choose today..

gallery play

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:31 pm

Fed piss poor tonight, even his hair is no good.

Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:31 pm

OMG...............

barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:33 pm

Wake the fuck up mannnn

Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:35 pm

Just so you know - Federer has never lost a 1st set vs. Kohlschreiber; if he loses this we are in new and unattractive territory.

barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:36 pm

COME OOOOOOON ! ! !

p.s.

There is only one Fed!

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:37 pm

Right, I’m off to my club night to calm the nerves down....

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by gallery play Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:37 pm

PFF, almost heart attack

gallery play

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:37 pm

Well that was some nerves, daddy good, daddy win now fast.

Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by gallery play Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:38 pm

Jahu wrote:Wake the fuck up mannnn
It was more like Kohlie playing better than he factually is

gallery play

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:39 pm

True, but Fed poor too, guess he been smoking dutch pot.

Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by gallery play Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:40 pm

Fed plays well, a bit tensed that's all

gallery play

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:41 pm

Well no1 is no little pressure surely.

Second set now will be quick.

Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:43 pm

noleisthebest wrote:Right, I’m off to my club night to calm the nerves down....

What club now? Why you ignoring me, reply to my sms now or else!!  erm

Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:53 pm

Jahu wrote:

Yahoo,

you are not funny, actually you are bordering on rude.

I don’t know who you are and I do not want to know either.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:14 pm

noleisthebest wrote:
Jahu wrote:

Yahoo,

you are not funny, actually you are bordering on rude.

I don’t know who you are and I do not want to know either.

God, you so rough.

Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by luvsports! Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:28 pm

Winner!

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:42 pm

Only 65 points needed, yessss

Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:45 pm

Think Fed’s feeling our tension.

Come on Griekspoor!

bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next