Our Tennis Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» I Just Can't Help Believing!
federer - Rotterdam - Federer's quest for #1 - Page 5 EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 8:25 am by Daniel2

» The Bullshit of Rafael Nadal
federer - Rotterdam - Federer's quest for #1 - Page 5 EmptyMon Feb 12, 2024 12:15 am by Daniel2

» Why Trump's 'tough' stance on radical Islam... could lead to more terrorism
federer - Rotterdam - Federer's quest for #1 - Page 5 EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:32 am by Daniel2

» Missing Madeline 10 years on..
federer - Rotterdam - Federer's quest for #1 - Page 5 EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:31 am by Daniel2

» '15 Dubious Weak Era Records'
federer - Rotterdam - Federer's quest for #1 - Page 5 EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:06 am by Daniel2

» AO 2024 - Sinner baby!!
federer - Rotterdam - Federer's quest for #1 - Page 5 EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:05 am by Daniel2

» Paris Masters
federer - Rotterdam - Federer's quest for #1 - Page 5 EmptyMon Nov 06, 2023 9:47 pm by noleisthebest

» Alvarez could bring me back to tennis
federer - Rotterdam - Federer's quest for #1 - Page 5 EmptyWed Sep 20, 2023 10:25 am by raiders_of_the_lost_ark

» IDEMOOOOOOO! ! ! !
federer - Rotterdam - Federer's quest for #1 - Page 5 EmptyMon Sep 11, 2023 9:47 am by noleisthebest

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

Rotterdam - Federer's quest for #1

+8
Tenez
summerblues
Jahu
gallery play
Daniel
noleisthebest
bogbrush
barrystar
12 posters

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

federer - Rotterdam - Federer's quest for #1 - Page 5 Empty Re: Rotterdam - Federer's quest for #1

Post by gallery play Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:21 pm

And the break..Dimi is lost

Let's see how embarrassing Krajicek makes the ceremony this time. First he announced last week that Federer called him and that he was able to force Federer to lower his price, then that silly cardboard box, then a weak speech ending up with him stumbling over his own words just because he refused to say the word "greatest".
What an arrogant prick. federer - Rotterdam - Federer's quest for #1 - Page 5 706916163

Last edited by gallery play on Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

gallery play

Back to top Go down

federer - Rotterdam - Federer's quest for #1 - Page 5 Empty Re: Rotterdam - Federer's quest for #1

Post by Tenez Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:22 pm

bogbrush wrote:Turning to tonight, I think Federer hasn’t really been knuckling down so far. Kholi, Haase abd Seppi have all looked very competitive against him.

The question is whether he’s playing within himself, or not quite up there. Peter Fleming suggested his movement wasn’t quite there yesterday & the thought had occurred to me but then he’ll turn in an amazing point, so not sure really.

Tonight will tell. He’ll have to turn in a proper performance.

His mouvement was not great v Kholi either.

He so often has sets where he is struggling and they are quite obvious cause when his body is warm and/or fresh he can simply be amazing.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by luvsports! Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:29 pm

Another break...

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:30 pm

I was going to say that Fed is not moving well in that final but even Dimi looks sluggish there.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:31 pm

gallery play wrote:And the break..Dimi is lost

Let's see how embarrassing Krajicek makes the ceremony this time. First he announced last week that Federer called him and that he was able to force Federer to lower his price, then that silly cardboard box, then a weak speech ending up with him stumbling over his own words just because he refused to say the word "greatest".
What an arrogant prick. federer - Rotterdam - Federer's quest for #1 - Page 5 706916163

I can’t believe he actually said that.

What an idiot.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:32 pm

Fed not bad at his ping-pong... Winking

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by luvsports! Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:34 pm

Feds to serve for title #97

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:35 pm

Feel sorry for the crowd here. Dimi is useless...once again.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by gallery play Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:36 pm

Despite doubts about his movement, his defense was really outstanding this week. Personally i think he moves ok, it's just that he plays even more economical then before. He never stretched to the max, but his anticipating is still good enough to attack when his back is against the wall.

To me he did everything right this week, especially under pressure.

gallery play

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:39 pm

10 extra years of experience made a difference.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:40 pm

It was all a fake, Federers movement was beautiful there. I agree gp, he seems to play within himself to reduce strain rather than have a problem.

Dimi looked to have some problem but the biggest one was the opponent.

bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:41 pm

gallery play wrote:And the break..Dimi is lost

Total asshole.

Thankfully no speech from Krajicek.

Last edited by bogbrush on Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by luvsports! Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:42 pm

56 minutes...

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:42 pm

Tenez wrote:10 extra years of experience made a difference.
I think experience was secondary, he is clearly head and shoulders above everyone...again!

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:42 pm

gallery play wrote:Despite doubts about his movement, his defense was really outstanding this week. Personally i think he moves ok, it's just that he plays even more economical then before. He never stretched to the max, but his anticipating is still good enough to attack when his back is against the wall.

That's true. But he is playing against players who are not challenging his fitness. Now only Djoko and maybe Murray can really test him on this side and ask the tough questions.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:47 pm

He can skip Dubai if he wants now and still go to IW as #1 seed.

bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by gallery play Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:48 pm

And again Krajicek starts about his 2 wins in Rotterdam...it's not about you, you moron!!

gallery play

Back to top Go down

Post by gallery play Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:02 pm

Tenez wrote:
gallery play wrote:Despite doubts about his movement, his defense was really outstanding this week. Personally i think he moves ok, it's just that he plays even more economical then before. He never stretched to the max, but his anticipating is still good enough to attack when his back is against the wall.

That's true. But he is playing against players who are not challenging his fitness. Now only Djoko and maybe Murray can really test him on this side and ask the tough questions.

Nadal too i guess, But the problem for Nadal and Murray against Fed these days, is that they don't get a single neutral ball back from Fed. While in the past most lenghty balls to Fed's bh, meant an upperhand in the rally.  

This week he showed he's still in a league of his own. If he stays fit, who's going to beat him on grass?

gallery play

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:05 pm

Just before Miles said it I was thinking how my 20 year old son wouldn’t have had any awareness of tennis before Federer was #1 and now as he approaches his 21st birthday it is so again.

It’s mind boggling.

bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:13 pm

gallery play wrote:
Tenez wrote:

Nadal too i guess, But the problem for Nadal and Murray against Fed these days, is that they don't get a single neutral ball back from Fed. While in the past most lenghty balls to Fed's bh, meant an upperhand in the rally.  

This week he showed he's still in a league of his own. If he stays fit, who's going to beat him on grass?

To me his tennis, as sublime as it can be still looks very fragile due to his age/fitness. Who can beat him on grass? I'd say almost anyone who can drag him to the distance. Even this week he looked shaky in patches from R2 to semi.

So yes he can win Wimbledon without losing a set again but he can also be dragged down by anyone if suddenly he loses his serve and his FH goes wild.

Let's take the wins as they come but I would not bet much on him winning much more even though I know on the day he is still the best. But struggling v Haase or a 34yo Kholi exposes his fragility.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:20 pm

Dimi self-destructed, started hard, I thought he's gonna blow Fed off the court, and by this time he should know you can't beat Fed like that, unless you grind him.

Some knee issue in second set for Dimi it seemed.

Apart from that joke of a No1 carton, wtf is with plates? Dimi's plate looked like a kids food plate, Feds like a potato salad plate, tight ass Dutch, joke.

Good finish of the week this, 500pts in the bag, hope he plays Dubai too.

Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:23 pm

I think as Barry mentioned the other day, Fed’s confidence esp after becoming number one may just be the elixir that will loosen him even more (if that’s possible).

He now officially has a target on his back, so whoever is across the net will have to deal with all Fed has to offer atm.

Which is why he will probably skip clay again. He can afford not to get dragged in long rallies any more, and clay brings that by default.

So long as his serve is firing he is fine.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by gallery play Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:35 pm

Tenez wrote:But struggling v Haase or a 34yo Kholi exposes his fragility.

If that was a struggle; he struggled all his life.
Haase played a very good first set, but still he was lucky he hit uncharacteristically a string of good returns at the right time so could grab the set.
Kohlie made the best of the fact Fed played under great pressure, but Fed stepped up when he had to.

Fed won a 500 in a decent field played with a heavy burdon on his shoulder and lost just 1 set. It hardly was a struggle.

I understand you concerns, but this week shouldn't have strengthened those concerns

Tenez wrote:Who can beat him on grass? I'd say almost anyone who can drag him to the distance

Ok, but not many can, do they?

gallery play

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:37 pm

Jahu wrote:Dimi self-destructed, started hard, I thought he's gonna blow Fed off the court, and by this time he should know you can't beat Fed like that, unless you grind him.

Apart from that joke of a No1 carton, wtf is with plates? Dimi's plate looked like a kids food plate, Feds like a potato salad plate, tight ass Dutch, joke.

Good finish of the week this, 500pts in the bag, hope he plays Dubai too.
Kind of hoping he skips it and is fresh for IW and repeats the sunshine double. Then he’s #1 to Wimbledon in all probability.

bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:55 pm

True, but Dubai is his second home, might be a little tough to refuse organizers. 

Maybe Miami after IW might be too much much, and get a clay 1000 to compensate for missing Miami.

Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:58 pm

And whats stopping Fed play a few 250/500 and beat Connors record? A few clay ones wouldn't hurt, I remember he played Istanbul on their first year, rack in a few of those and compensate, then Halle/W.

I would attack 5 x 250 tournies this year, some fun with challenger players, it would be a few days like playing with hitting partners  Big Grin

Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by gallery play Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:12 pm

Conners' record is meaningless. He won a lot of tournaments with just 16 players in the draw, some even 4..

gallery play

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:24 pm

4 ??!!!

bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:29 pm

I think after becoming number one again now, Fed has got even his wildest dreams out of his system...which then leads me to wonder if and what personal challenges he may have (if any).

Maybe just to keep playing freely and winning as long as he can.

Just enjoying every day on the court and soaking it all up.

I just can’t imagine he’s worried about any records any more (but that’s just me...)

Certainly a few more slams if possible to shut the door firmly in Nadal’s face.

Speaking of the devil, any news on his injuries?

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:41 pm

Jahu wrote:
Ah...that's why they both looked flat footed.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:49 pm

gallery play wrote:
Tenez wrote:But struggling v Haase or a 34yo Kholi exposes his fragility.

If that was a struggle; he struggled all his life.
Haase played a very good first set, but still he was lucky he hit uncharacteristically a string of good returns at the right time so could grab the set.
Kohlie made the best of the fact Fed played under great pressure, but Fed stepped up when he had to.

Fed won a 500 in a decent field played with a heavy burdon on his shoulder and lost just 1 set. It hardly was a struggle.

I understand you concerns, but this week shouldn't have strengthened those concerns

Tenez wrote:Who can beat him on grass? I'd say almost anyone who can drag him to the distance

Ok, but not many can, do they?

I only saw summaries. But to me when he is fine, like in that first round for instance, or even first set and a half v Cilic AO 18, he is better against the opposition than even when he was 26/27...In that respect he is struggling less nowadays than in his 20s versus the field when body warm/rested. However I find him less consistent than then....which is perfectly normal. I can't ask more....but he is losing sets out of the blue or less able to return.

And I guess it explains why is not playing the French or clay at all.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:25 pm

It’s an excellent result. For the third time since I have followed his career I think that whatever he wins from now is bunce. Unlike the two previous times I am pretty confident that he has more left. Let’s see. I’d expect him to feel pretty free of pressure now.

barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:09 pm

gallery play wrote:Conners' record is meaningless. He won a lot of tournaments with just 16 players in the draw, some even 4..

It's a record to be broken  Big Grin

Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:13 pm

Another one I like is total match wins.

Currently Connors leads with 1256 and Federer is 2nd on 1144. 113 matches is more or less two more good seasons. I’d like to see that one go too.

bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:23 pm

7 more grass matches passes Connors too, 170/64 which should be doable with Halle/W.

Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:24 pm

bogbrush wrote:Another one I like is total match wins.

Currently Connors leads with 1256 and Federer is 2nd on 1144. 113 matches is more or less two more good seasons. I’d like to see that one go too.

...and then the Olympic Gold 2020 eh?  Big Grin

Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:29 pm

...and while we are at it, throw in another pair of twins!

This time a boy and a girl.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:37 pm

noleisthebest wrote:...and while we are at it, throw in another pair of twins!

This time a boy and a girl.
Good one....even better with another wife! Winking

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:45 pm

Go make your own kids people, saying to someone else who has 4 kids to make more, is a bit over the top  Laugh Laugh

Rightly said, need some fresh womb, a 23y old wife, give Mirka a rest will you  Laugh Laugh

Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:24 pm

Here’s another couple of records I really like the look of:

- he needs 6 more match wins to reach 100 at the Australian Open!
- he needs 9 at Wimbledon to reach 100 there too.

Both look doable in 2019.

If find these two astonishing. I mean, a century of match wins at each event when you can only get 7 a year if you win the damn thing!!!

Connors reached 98 at the USO, nobody eise has ever approached the mark (Nadal surprisingly has only 79 at RG).

bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:49 pm

Pretty much all he needs to is step on a court and either he sets a record or one is at stake. My hope for him is that he carries on enjoying it and organises his schedule and training solely for that purpose. Then I think good things will follow.

barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:25 pm

I thought Dimi had a real chance this time.  God, most of this new generation are hopeless.  Generation Never.  Oh do clear off, Dimitrov.  Time for Shap and Zverev and Coric to step up.

Daniel

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:17 pm

12. Posted bybogbrush

on6 hours ago
He doesn’t eclipse Serena, she plays a different sport at a completely different level.

Respect to the women but I wish the BBC would stop with the incessant pushing of women’s tennis records as equal to the men’s. Men’s tennis is at an awesomely higher level.

Well said, Boggy!

Daniel

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:37 am

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:30 am

So Fed does nit dosmiss the possibility of playing Dubai, says he is feeling great physically (just tired)

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by gallery play Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:33 am

noleisthebest wrote:So Fed does nit dosmiss the possibility of playing Dubai, says he is feeling great physically (just tired)

Those interviewers are former pros. Maybe somebody recognizes Jan Siemerink. Made it to the top 15 once.
Salient detail, Jan has a positive h2h against Federer. (1-0 played in toulosue 1998). That must be one of Jan's highlights of his career Big Grin

gallery play

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:20 pm

I could tell he was very relaxed with them all week.

Tried to find the Tolouse clip with Federer but only final vs Rusedski.

Tennis then almost looks prehistoric now!

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:30 pm

gallery play wrote:
noleisthebest wrote:So Fed does nit dosmiss the possibility of playing Dubai, says he is feeling great physically (just tired)

Those interviewers are former pros. Maybe somebody recognizes Jan Siemerink. Made it to the top 15 once.
Salient detail, Jan has a positive h2h against Federer. (1-0 played in toulosue 1998). That must be one of Jan's highlights of his career Big Grin
I certainly remember Siemerink but I would not have been able to recognise him.

Nice interview.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:32 pm

Daniel wrote:

12. Posted bybogbrush

on6 hours ago
He doesn’t eclipse Serena, she plays a different sport at a completely different level.

Respect to the women but I wish the BBC would stop with the incessant pushing of women’s tennis records as equal to the men’s. Men’s tennis is at an awesomely higher level.

Well said, Boggy!
Cheers!

bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:30 pm

We got to play the equality card guys, especially from a Tax founded corp. like BBC who pays their female works 3 times less then men for same job Laugh .

No one take it personally or seriously this equality, obviously, not even ladies do!!  Laugh

Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum