Our Tennis Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» I Just Can't Help Believing!
federer - Rotterdam - Federer's quest for #1 - Page 4 EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 8:25 am by Daniel2

» The Bullshit of Rafael Nadal
federer - Rotterdam - Federer's quest for #1 - Page 4 EmptyMon Feb 12, 2024 12:15 am by Daniel2

» Why Trump's 'tough' stance on radical Islam... could lead to more terrorism
federer - Rotterdam - Federer's quest for #1 - Page 4 EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:32 am by Daniel2

» Missing Madeline 10 years on..
federer - Rotterdam - Federer's quest for #1 - Page 4 EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:31 am by Daniel2

» '15 Dubious Weak Era Records'
federer - Rotterdam - Federer's quest for #1 - Page 4 EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:06 am by Daniel2

» AO 2024 - Sinner baby!!
federer - Rotterdam - Federer's quest for #1 - Page 4 EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:05 am by Daniel2

» Paris Masters
federer - Rotterdam - Federer's quest for #1 - Page 4 EmptyMon Nov 06, 2023 9:47 pm by noleisthebest

» Alvarez could bring me back to tennis
federer - Rotterdam - Federer's quest for #1 - Page 4 EmptyWed Sep 20, 2023 10:25 am by raiders_of_the_lost_ark

» IDEMOOOOOOO! ! ! !
federer - Rotterdam - Federer's quest for #1 - Page 4 EmptyMon Sep 11, 2023 9:47 am by noleisthebest

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

Rotterdam - Federer's quest for #1

+8
Tenez
summerblues
Jahu
gallery play
Daniel
noleisthebest
bogbrush
barrystar
12 posters

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

federer - Rotterdam - Federer's quest for #1 - Page 4 Empty Re: Rotterdam - Federer's quest for #1

Post by luvsports! Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:08 pm

Cry Roger, cry!

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

federer - Rotterdam - Federer's quest for #1 - Page 4 Empty Re: Rotterdam - Federer's quest for #1

Post by Tenez Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:22 pm

Well done Roger!

Nitb and GP have their money well spent. 3sets forn nearly perfect drama.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by luvsports! Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:22 pm

Oldest ever no1. 36.
Biggest gap from when he first got it to now. 14 years.
Biggest gap between losing it and regaining it. 5+ years. 
What a legend Big Grin

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:23 pm

Now he needs to win the whole thing. Thats where the big points are.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:37 pm

Yes, win this and he can skip Dubai and go to IW as #1.

bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by gallery play Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:46 pm

I'll tell you what; nitb and i are having champagne right now.
Cheers to rog!! Bubbly

gallery play

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:49 pm

He found his form and his edge and HE'S DONE IT!!!

Cheers Cheers Cheers Cheers Cheers Cheers Cheers Cheers Cheers Cheers

Oldest World Number 1 in history.

Daniel

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:49 pm

Just landed in Switzerland to discover it is now the realm of the new king of tennis. Bravo.

barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by luvsports! Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:54 pm

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

Post by luvsports! Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:54 pm

gallery play wrote:I'll tell you what; nitb and i are having champagne right now.
Cheers to rog!! Bubbly

Picture or it didn't happen.

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:49 pm

omgg what hapen fdErer win best nomber 11111111 yessssss fukccccc yessassss goooodddd hahahahaydshah niceeeeee

Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:51 pm

yssssssssss g

Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:01 pm

gallery play wrote:I'll tell you what; nitb and i are having champagne right now.
Cheers to rog!! Bubbly

Bubbly Bubbly

And to OTF! Bubbly

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:04 pm

Truly it can be said, salutations! BubblyBubblyBubbly

bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:04 pm

It’s hard to describe how wonderful it was to witness Federer fly to his mountain top tonight.

It’s such a quiet place.

And powerful.

So happy I was part of that moment.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:25 pm

Tenez wrote:
Cheers to rog!! Bubbly

Bubbly Bubbly

And to OTF! Bubbly

And to tennis! Bubbly

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:14 am

Fantastic feeling.  Amazing what he has been able to do.  Already in 2012 when he reached #1 it felt like the last hurrah.  And now, six years later, he does it again.

Hard to even fathom what he has done here:  #1 at 36 years old, while spotting the field the entire clay court season.  And other than Rafa, nobody else is even at much better than half Fed's ranking points.

These last 13 months have been perhaps the most satisfying part of his career. Doing it all now when nobody expects him to be able to do it, and when he has really nothing to prove. Just amazing.

Fantastic feeling.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:23 am

While I would obviously prefer if Fed could hold on to his #1 as long as possible, I am not too hung up on it.  The main focus should now be slams again.  #1 spot was a nice side-show, and pretty exciting (and stressful smiley) for a few days, but there is no point clinging to #1 if it imperils his chances to win more slams.

I think he should take the rest of this tourney easy - great if he wins but fine if he does not.  After that, much like what he did last year: play IW and if he feels fine, also Miami, skip clay court season and do as best possible at Wimbledon/USO (hopefully winning them both this year smiley).

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by gallery play Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:32 am

Jahu wrote:omgg what hapen fdErer win best nomber 11111111 yessssss fukccccc yessassss goooodddd hahahahaydshah niceeeeee
Post of the day 
Laugh

gallery play

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:43 am

I was talking to my son about this and he made the point of how important this phase has been to his legacy. 

Instead of possibly being remembered as a guy who was surpassed, he’s going down as the guy who came back and proved he could reinvent himself, outlast younger rivals and generally prove ultimately who was the true best of the best.

bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:30 am

He is proving to me that had he learnt the game with the new technology, he may have been number #1 14 years consecutively, bar injuries.

...and go down as the only player in the history of tennis and maybe sport to not have met a better player than him.

As mentioned all other champions were displaced before playing their best. ...No so for federer.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:56 am

bogbrush wrote:I was talking to my son about this and he made the point of how important this phase has been to his legacy. 

Instead of possibly being remembered as a guy who was surpassed, he’s going down as the guy who came back and proved he could reinvent himself, outlast younger rivals and generally prove ultimately who was the true best of the best.

But the drive behind it all is his unquenchable love for tennis.

I was watching him yesterday, like four seasons in one day - he started flying, then got entangled and undone by some of Haase’s clever play, then braved and raised the level to stamp out any hope Hasse may have...and finished off in some style.

Everything in his game was there at its peak - serve, volleys, FH, BH, footwork, variety, fighting spirit, guile, creativity, smartness, athleticism, grace...there was so much to take in.

He is just wonderful to watch at the point of drawing tears...

I think when he steps on the court all he thinks about is that ball coming to him, “he loves her and she loves him back”...as a poet said once. Winking

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:05 pm

OK,

I’ll repost it. When if not now! Big Grin

He...

is silent.
he is timeless

flies forward flooding
the air with movement of
suspended escape.

burns deeply behind the eye
that sees the end
before it's started.

loves to play
loves to cry

loves the ball
she loves him back.

fire he has
the roaring kind
he tames so well.

P.S.

to one and only RF, may his flight continue!  Bubbly

(can’t remember how long ago I wrote this, must be 5-6 years ago...when I was at the peak of my “noleisthebest-ness”...I just couldn’t help myself.)

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:08 pm

summerblues wrote:While I would obviously prefer if Fed could hold on to his #1 as long as possible, I am not too hung up on it.  The main focus should now be slams again.  #1 spot was a nice side-show, and pretty exciting (and stressful smiley) for a few days, but there is no point clinging to #1 if it imperils his chances to win more slams.

I think he should take the rest of this tourney easy - great if he wins but fine if he does not.  After that, much like what he did last year: play IW and if he feels fine, also Miami, skip clay court season and do as best possible at Wimbledon/USO (hopefully winning them both this year smiley).

You are a cruel man, SB!

You are asking a man who’s just climbed Everest to jog down and climb Kilimanjaro...

I’d be glad if he lifts the trophy on Sunday and has a good rest.

He’ll need some time to bask in this beautiful achievement.

Slams are just numbers at this moment in time. Winking

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:35 pm

Good afternoon lads  Big Grin

Can't remember much, though I watched 2nd and 3rd set today more sober, bit of a early celebration last night from 3:0 2nd set I knew it was all done, loved that carton thingy Number 1 Laugh Laugh

Was happy equally for last night as for AO 20, same value for me  Big Grin

As stated here, now go on and win this thing so it doesn't look like he came just for the No:1 which whole world knows anyway smiley

Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:56 pm

bogbrush wrote:I was talking to my son about this and he made the point of how important this phase has been to his legacy. 

I kind of both agree and disagree.  On the one hand, in the here and now, it dramatically changes the perception.  Without this stretch of Fed's career, people might agree he is the best ever, but part of the story would be "and then Rafa and Nole came and overtook him".  That narrative just does not fit anymore.

But in the long run, I do not think it changes all that much.  As exciting as this is, it just mostly adds texture to Fed's story.  The hard currency will always be things like the slam count and weeks at #1.  Let's say Fed stays at 20 slams and someone comes along 30 years from now and gets to 21 slams.  People will celebrate him for overtaking Fed.  They will not say "but Fed is greater because he was #1 at 36".

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:00 pm

summerblues wrote:People will celebrate him for overtaking Fed.
...or her, of course.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by gallery play Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:11 pm

summerblues wrote:

But in the long run, I do not think it changes all that much.  As exciting as this is, it just mostly adds texture to Fed's story.  The hard currency will always be things like the slam count and weeks at #1.  Let's say Fed stays at 20 slams and someone comes along 30 years from now and gets to 21 slams.  People will celebrate him for overtaking Fed.  They will not say "but Fed is greater because he was #1 at 36".
I think you're underestimating this. Comebacks have always played a major role in many sport stories. Perhaps even more so then the number of wins.

gallery play

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:36 pm

summerblues wrote:

I kind of both agree and disagree.  On the one hand, in the here and now, it dramatically changes the perception.  Without this stretch of Fed's career, people might agree he is the best ever, but part of the story would be "and then Rafa and Nole came and overtook him".  That narrative just does not fit anymore.

That wasn’t my point. It was that he now has every chance of having a career that encompasses, end to end, that of Murray (almost certainly), and perhaps Nadal and Djokovic.

That is extraordinary.

bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:08 pm

After all the drama this week, I am now sitting inside Nassau Coliseum somewhere in New York, ready to watch Querrey play Mannarino. Well, it is still tennis.

I will be keeping an eye on Fed's score, though I am fine if he were to lose today.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:30 pm

summerblues wrote:After all the drama this week, I am now sitting inside Nassau Coliseum somewhere in New York, ready to watch Querrey play Mannarino.  Well, it is still tennis.

I will be keeping an eye on Fed's score, though I am fine if he were to lose today.

OTF live watching matches is spreading like wildfire!
Anyone going to Dubai? Run
Manna is a great player, enjoy!

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:31 pm

So, relaxed brilliant Fed or relaxed complacent Fed?

bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:37 pm

A happy, roaring Fed.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:37 pm

I saw that terrible accident with Goffin earlier and now he’s pulled out of Marseilles.

I hope it’s nothing lasting, just another example of how things can change quickly.

bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:03 pm

Fed doesn't want to be playing tonight, sluggish.

Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:05 pm

bogbrush wrote:I saw that terrible accident with Goffin earlier and now he’s pulled out of Marseilles.

I hope it’s nothing lasting, just another example of how things can change quickly.

Its all good now, Patchey stated a Tweet from Goff that no serious probs or injury, some bruising , just little time off, nice to hear that.

Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:20 pm

Fed is playing so well...some amazing shots...

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:43 pm

He’s really not you know.

bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:23 pm

OK just enough to win and push when needed, guess too much of No1 feelings from last night, clearly he would rather relax tonight then play.

Will win tomorrow in 2.

Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:04 am

Tennis is such a small-time sport.  Querrey-Mannarino (which, btw, ended up quite watchable) was played in an arena that will hold ~14,000 for basketball.  For tennis, they split it in two (they set up two courts inside the arena) and shut down the upper seating section.  So, I am guessing the full capacity for today could have been maybe 4,000.  I doubt it was half-full, and that with an American in action.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:19 am

gallery play wrote:I think you're underestimating this. Comebacks have always played a major role in many sport stories. Perhaps even more so then the number of wins.
Hard to be certain, but I would think the raw numbers would prevail in people's minds in this case.  First, Federer did not quite rise from the ashes; he has always been kind of there or thereabouts, so the comeback does not have the same ring as if he had been truly written off.  But also tennis lends itself to counting titles too easily.  I would agree if this were boxing.  There, the greatness is often defined by a couple of memorable fights more than by the number of wins, KOs, or years that one holds the title.  But not in tennis.

Look at golf.  Nicklaus won a major at 46.  It was a remarkable story and people acknowledge it as such.  Yet, when Tiger was chasing Jack's numbers, it was always about reaching - and overtaking - 18.  People were not saying "oh, he needs to get to 20, or 21, becaue Jack won one at 46".  I think tennis would be similar to that.

I could be wrong though.  Time will tell.  But we may not be around to see it - depending on how long Fed's records hold.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:42 am

It isn’t winning titles at 36 that is the thing, it’s being on the cusp of enclosing these rival careers, being as or more successful than them at the end of his as he was at their start. It makes it impossible to pitch him as a great who was surpassed: he had a lean spell but came back with an adapted game and showed who was boss.

This is especially striking in respect of a Nadal where the h2h has started swinging around as he’s developed an antidote to the Nadal standard play.

bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:49 am

Turning to tonight, I think Federer hasn’t really been knuckling down so far. Kholi, Haase abd Seppi have all looked very competitive against him.

The question is whether he’s playing within himself, or not quite up there. Peter Fleming suggested his movement wasn’t quite there yesterday & the thought had occurred to me but then he’ll turn in an amazing point, so not sure really.

Tonight will tell. He’ll have to turn in a proper performance.

bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:13 am

bogbrush wrote:Turning to tonight, I think Federer hasn’t really been knuckling down so far. Kholi, Haase abd Seppi have all looked very competitive against him.

I loved how Fed put his foot on the gas and took off after Seppi broke him straight away in the TB.
Those five  points in a row were amazing.

I don’t remember I’ve ever seen Fed so determined, he even grunted Yikes

bogbrush wrote:
The question is whether he’s playing within himself, or not quite up there. Peter Fleming suggested his movement wasn’t quite there yesterday & the thought had occurred to me but then he’ll turn in an amazing point, so not sure really.
Tonight will tell. He’ll have to turn in a proper performance.
I thought he was a bit tired yesterday, four matches in a row, plus all the emotions from becoming number one.

He’s been winning on pure will.

Dimi will be fresh as a daisy tonight, so it should be a good match.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by luvsports! Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:00 pm

Dimi hit 7 winners to Feds' 0 and was broken.

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

Post by luvsports! Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:05 pm

Feds to serve for the set :P

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

Post by luvsports! Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:05 pm

DUNK SMASH!

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

Post by luvsports! Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:08 pm

6-2. That was quick.

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:08 pm

Wow, I can’t believe how easily Fed’s dismantled Dimi who started the match quite sharp....

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by luvsports! Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:14 pm

Another break.

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next