Our Tennis Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» I Just Can't Help Believing!
federer - Rotterdam - Federer's quest for #1 EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 8:25 am by Daniel2

» The Bullshit of Rafael Nadal
federer - Rotterdam - Federer's quest for #1 EmptyMon Feb 12, 2024 12:15 am by Daniel2

» Why Trump's 'tough' stance on radical Islam... could lead to more terrorism
federer - Rotterdam - Federer's quest for #1 EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:32 am by Daniel2

» Missing Madeline 10 years on..
federer - Rotterdam - Federer's quest for #1 EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:31 am by Daniel2

» '15 Dubious Weak Era Records'
federer - Rotterdam - Federer's quest for #1 EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:06 am by Daniel2

» AO 2024 - Sinner baby!!
federer - Rotterdam - Federer's quest for #1 EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:05 am by Daniel2

» Paris Masters
federer - Rotterdam - Federer's quest for #1 EmptyMon Nov 06, 2023 9:47 pm by noleisthebest

» Alvarez could bring me back to tennis
federer - Rotterdam - Federer's quest for #1 EmptyWed Sep 20, 2023 10:25 am by raiders_of_the_lost_ark

» IDEMOOOOOOO! ! ! !
federer - Rotterdam - Federer's quest for #1 EmptyMon Sep 11, 2023 9:47 am by noleisthebest

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

Rotterdam - Federer's quest for #1

+8
Tenez
summerblues
Jahu
gallery play
Daniel
noleisthebest
bogbrush
barrystar
12 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

federer - Rotterdam - Federer's quest for #1 Empty Rotterdam - Federer's quest for #1

Post by barrystar Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:14 am

Draw is out, and despite being WC Federer is seeded as #1, which is fortunate because the field is OK for a 500:

#1 Fed, #2 Dimitrov, #3 Zverev, #4 Goffin, #5 Stan, #6 Berdych.

Fed's projected route to the SF via his quarter is 

(1) Bemelmans Q
(2) Kohlschreiber or Kachanov
(3) Stan (assuming he emerges from Haase, de Bakker, Griekspoor)

From the other quarter in the top half Zverev is the most likely prospective SF opponent - he has Gasquet, Muller, & Seppi to negotiate.

As for the bottom half... well, it's all about the top half this week isn't it....?

https://www.atpworldtour.com/en/scores/current/rotterdam/407/draws

Must be said that it looks distinctly doable for Federer, the WC #1 seed

Last edited by barrystar on Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:08 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Bemelmans, not Bernelmans)

barrystar

Back to top Go down

federer - Rotterdam - Federer's quest for #1 Empty Re: Rotterdam - Federer's quest for #1

Post by bogbrush Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:52 am

Stan seems not yet back judging by Marseilles. Federer clearly wants this so should, all things being equal, make the necessary stage. Winning it is also very possible of course, but it's making the semi that will secure the ranking.

bogbrush

Back to top Go down

federer - Rotterdam - Federer's quest for #1 Empty Re: Rotterdam - Federer's quest for #1

Post by barrystar Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:06 am

Yes, it's all about who makes the SF this week.  Three wins needed vs. opponents that a fit and healthy Federer starts as strong favourite against.  Let's see.

barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:19 am

Regardless of the field, I have no doubt Fed will have a fantastic week in Rotterdam.

He will be in a special red hot winning mode.

I really look forward to seeing him play this week.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:57 pm

Fed will likely be v nervous. I am not sure he'll do it, esp if his serve goes walkies.  But he has a good chance - and even if he doesn't get it now, he should still get it v soon.

Daniel

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:18 pm

Why's Fed not even scheduled for tomorrow?

It starts to get a touch harder if he has top play on consecutive days.

bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:20 pm

Daniel wrote:Fed will likely be v nervous. I am not sure he'll do it, esp if his serve goes walkies.  But he has a good chance - and even if he doesn't get it now, he should still get it v soon.
If he blows this he's likely back to the same situation where he has to match Nadal at Dubai.

It might turn out that he needs the help of someone beating Nadal in Acapulco. It's not on clay so maybe..

bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:29 pm

Nadal has to reach SF at Dubai, even if Fed gets 0 points?

Daniel

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:35 pm

bogbrush wrote:
Daniel wrote:Fed will likely be v nervous. I am not sure he'll do it, esp if his serve goes walkies.  But he has a good chance - and even if he doesn't get it now, he should still get it v soon.
If he blows this he's likely back to the same situation where he has to match Nadal at Dubai.

It might turn out that he needs the help of someone beating Nadal in Acapulco. It's not on clay so maybe..

Assuming he goes to Dubai, whether he gets to #1 before IW is on his racquet either way.  He wants it and he'll be on a surface that suits him - he usually does the business in those circumstances......

Stop panicking, no need to.... yet

barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:51 pm

bogbrush wrote:

We are talking about The Mighty Roger here!

No way is he going to blow anything...
He will incinerate the field and lift that trophy of Sunday!

Just lie back and enjoy...I even caught myself looking at tickets!

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by gallery play Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:01 pm

He said in the press conference that he had to choose between Dubai and Rotterdam. So he's not betting on 2 horses. He'll be sharp as a razor i guess. In fact,  when asked about what's on the line against possibly Stan as opponant, he said: "that will feel like a slam final".

Yay! So happy i went for the quarter final tics!

You're welcome in Rotterdam, Nitb!

gallery play

Back to top Go down

Post by gallery play Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:10 pm

gallery play

Back to top Go down

Post by gallery play Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:22 pm

Ok, and now the facts:
he'll have to beat a qualifier and 2 single backhand'ers
He has a great record against those 2
It's on an indoor HC, probably his best surface
He hasn't lost a match this year
He has just won a slam, without spilling much energy.

I'd say, he will do it.

And if he fail and remains on the entry list of Dubai, Nadal will probably pull out of Acapulco. So there's a little slack. That's my belief anyway.

gallery play

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:36 pm

This isn’t full Stan anyway.

bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:52 pm

gallery play wrote:He said in the press conference that he had to choose between Dubai and Rotterdam. So he's not betting on 2 horses. He'll be sharp as a razor i guess. In fact,  when asked about what's on the line against possibly Stan as opponant, he said: "that will feel like a slam final".

Yay! So happy i went for the quarter final tics!

You’ve got the best day by far.

I am assuming Fed will play in the evening session.
That may end up being Fed’s most memorable match of 2018...expect tears...unless he goes for RG which he should!

gallery play wrote:
You're welcome in Rotterdam, Nitb!

Thanks. Big Grin

Getting the tickets is the easiest bit...but the flight, hotel...I’ll see. 20% chance of dong it atm.
Funny, because I was looking at Van Gogh’s museum today, could wrap all that up.

Strangely, I’ve never been to Holland, only at the airport once on the way to China.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by gallery play Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:49 pm

noleisthebest wrote:

Thanks. Big Grin

Getting the tickets is the easiest bit...but the flight, hotel...I’ll see. 20% chance of dong it atm.
Funny, because I was looking at Van Gogh’s museum today, could wrap all that up.
Carpe Diem Winking

Mind you: van Gogh's museum is in Amsterdam. Worth a visit anyway since it's located only 200 meters from Rijksmuseum, which i personally rank even higher

gallery play

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:09 pm

gallery play wrote:
noleisthebest wrote:

Thanks. Big Grin

Carpe Diem Winking

Mind you: van Gogh's museum is in Amsterdam. Worth a visit anyway since it's located only 200 meters from Rijksmuseum, which i personally rank even higher

I can’t believe I’m sayin’ it, but I have actually done it!!!!
I have carped the diem! Bubbly

Surely, this has got to be one of my craziest tennis moments. tongueout

Let’s go Roooger, let’s go! Applause Applause

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by gallery play Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:08 pm

Haha! You go girl 
See you at the bar then, to raise a toast to the new number one Cheers

gallery play

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:24 pm

GP, can you stop he after-midnight flirting with her and offering her beers to get her drunk?

She is taken man!!   Laugh Laugh

Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:37 pm

gallery play wrote:Haha! You go girl 
See you at the bar then, to raise a toast to the new number one Cheers
Hehe!
I am assuming there will be some kind of presentation there after the match like they do it in O2.

I just could not miss this opportunity to see Fed one more time, as it’s so hard to get tickets for CC in Wimbledon, let alone decent ones where you can see him play from close up, amd who knows what form he’ll turn up in at WTF if at all...

And he will be motivated to play like never before in some way.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:15 am

noleisthebest wrote:I can’t believe I’m sayin’ it, but I have actually done it!!!!

Surely, this  has got to be one of my craziest tennis moments.  tongueout

Well done!  Have fun.  Let's just hope Fed does not go out before the QF - that would be some letdown.  Fingers crossed.

Fed can clinch #1 spot in 4 days.  Amazing.  It is like waiting the last 4 days before Christmas as a kid.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:29 am

This is off-topic, and less serious, but someone on 606v2 found this and I thought it was quite funny:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PLspfAQzTRI

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:20 am

Really tough draw for Fed compared to Dimi's.

Looks like Kraji does not want Fed to become number 1 again! Winking

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by gallery play Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:38 am

Jahu wrote:GP, can you stop he after-midnight flirting with her and offering her beers to get her drunk?

She is taken man!!   Laugh Laugh
No worries mate, i am taken too.

gallery play

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:45 am

GP, good buddy, enjoy it obviously smiley

Kraji has said some nice word for Fed at AO, so wants him to earn the No1 and not walkover smiley

Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:19 am

And here you have his serene state of mind in English (cock up on describing the Rotterdam draw though)  https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/feb/12/roger-federer-rotterdam-world-number-one

barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:54 am

gallery play wrote:
noleisthebest wrote:

Thanks. Big Grin

Carpe Diem Winking

Thanks, I know that much! Laugh

Van Gogh museum will have to wait for another time. I have his painting on my wall I see first thing I open my eyes anyway. That one hangs in Narional Gallery, but the other one I like a lot is Almomd blossom and that one is in Amsterdam.

When I was in Belgrade recently I saw this new film about Vincent, animation done with oil paintings produced by hundreds of painters from around the world in a studio in Poland.

I learnt a lot about him in that film and found his sufferings more relevant than ever in this very times.

Anyway...

Thanks for recommending the other museum...but right now, it’s time to see the living Artist paint his masterpieces with his black Prostaff. artist racket2

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:05 am

@nitb - if you are going to Rotterdam, you should visit Brielle, where the modern Dutch state can be said truly to have gained the vital foothold which enabled it to be carved out from the Spanish Netherlands on April Fool's Day 1572.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brielle  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capture_of_Brielle

barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:08 am

summerblues wrote:
noleisthebest wrote:I can’t believe I’m sayin’ it, but I have actually done it!!!!
Surely, this  has got to be one of my craziest tennis moments.  tongueout
Well done!  Have fun.  Let's just hope Fed does not go out before the QF - that would be some letdown.  Fingers crossed.
That thought flickered through my mind for a split second after I bought the ticket...Laugh
I’ve been through much worse than that anyway when they kicked me out of 11 Wimbledon final 5 mins before it started...
summerblues wrote:
Fed can clinch #1 spot in 4 days.  Amazing.  It is like waiting the last 4 days before Christmas as a kid.

I was so excited last night it took me hours before I could drop off...so I fantasised of Fed winning the match...he drops his racquet and holds his head and then raises his arms up in the air and cries..l Laugh

So as far as I’m concerned, he’s done it already!

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:12 am

barrystar wrote:@nitb - if you are going to Rotterdam, you should visit Brielle, where the modern Dutch state can be said truly to have gained the vital foothold which enabled it to be carved out from the Spanish Netherlands on April Fool's Day 1572.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brielle  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capture_of_Brielle
Thanks Barry, I probably won’t have time as I am flying back at 7am on Saturday.

Interesting point though, as Fed will also conquer the Spanish rule in Rotterdam. Winking

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:50 am

Tenez wrote:Really tough draw for Fed compared to Dimi's.

Looks like Kraji does not want Fed to become number 1 again! Winking

To me the most difficult is Katchanov in r2.

Stan is probably far from his top form.

The other half has Goffin and Berd bot can be tough in a given day.

I don’t see A. Zverev as big threat on fast courts.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:52 am

Anyway, Fed says he’ll try, and that’s good enough for me! Big Grin

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:56 am

barrystar wrote:And here you have his serene state of mind in English (cock up on describing the Rotterdam draw though)  https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/feb/12/roger-federer-rotterdam-world-number-one

So he basically is not excluding clay this year.

He really shoud play at least one tournamenr this year.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:33 am

noleisthebest wrote:
barrystar wrote:And here you have his serene state of mind in English (cock up on describing the Rotterdam draw though)  https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/feb/12/roger-federer-rotterdam-world-number-one

So he basically is not excluding clay this year.

He really shoud play at least one tournamenr this year.

The way in which he operates is to decide and announce what he is including when he is close enough to have a handle on whether he wants to play and he'll be ready.  He says his priority beyond Rotterdam is defending the sunshine double, and participation at Dubai seems to be in doubt.  That interested me because he skipped Miami after playing IW in 2013 and 2015 and, until 2017, in recent years Miami had been very much the poor relation of the two US tournaments in terms of his achievements.

I was wrong about Rotterdam, so what do I know about his state of mind vis-a-vis clay?  On the 'pro' side, he will have more understanding of his knee than he did a year ago, and probably a bit more confidence in it.  Worth remembering that he waited until 15 May last year before announcing firmly that he would not play any clay, so we only know for certain that he will announce whatever his decision may be in his own sweet time.

(One thing I noticed is that Fed talked about Nadal taking care over his schedule just like him, when Nadal played 18 tournaments last year, more than in any year since 2008 with the sole exception of 2015.  That said, Nadal's tally of 78 matches in 2017 was a little bit less than in a normal injury-free year for him.  Fed therefore seems to have been wrong - was he playing mind games after Nadal's complaints about the Tour schedule, knowing that Nadal seems to need a more consistent flow matches under his belt to be at his peak than Fed does....?)

barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:43 am

barrystar wrote:

The way in which he operates is to decide and announce what he is including when he is close enough to have a handle on whether he wants to play and he'll be ready.  He says his priority beyond Rotterdam is defending the sunshine double, and participation at Dubai seems to be in doubt.  That interested me because he skipped Miami after playing IW in 2013 and 2015 and, until 2017, in recent years Miami had been very much the poor relation of the two US tournaments in terms of his achievements.

Yes, I was surprised he is so eager to “defend sunshine double”. That only says two things:
He is feeling great physically
and
he is getting some extra bucks for it.

barrystar wrote:
I was wrong about Rotterdam, so what do I know about his state of mind vis-a-vis clay?  On the 'pro' side, he will have more understanding of his knee than he did a year ago, and probably a bit more confidence in it.
  Worth remembering that he waited until 15 May last year before announcing firmly that he would not play any clay, so we only know for certain that he will announce whatever his decision may be in his own sweet time.
Good point.

barrystar wrote:
(One thing I noticed is that Fed talked about Nadal taking care over his schedule just like him, when Nadal played 18 tournaments last year, more than in any year since 2008 with the sole exception of 2015.  That said, Nadal's tally of 78 matches in 2017 was a little bit less than in a normal injury-free year for him.  Fed therefore seems to have been wrong - was he playing mind games after Nadal's complaints about the Tour schedule, knowing that Nadal seems to need a more consistent flow matches under his belt to be at his peak than Fed does....?)

Hehe, I think that was Fed saying HE is the real number one...Nadal only overtook him because of the million and one match he played.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:50 am

noleisthebest wrote:
barrystar wrote:

Yes, I was surprised he is so eager to “defend sunshine double”. That only says two things:
He is feeling great physically
and
he is getting some extra bucks for it.

I also think that they all feel that there is extra cache and importance to defending a title, particularly a big one, and my take is that Miami is one of the 3 or so most prestigious tournaments outside the slams so it's not surprising that Fed wants to defend his title.

barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:10 pm

If Federer beats Bemelans then he faces Kohlschreiber, against whom he has a 12-0 record, but not without one very tight match.  No schedule for Wednesday yet...

edit - goodness it's Bemelmans - I can't spell the guy's name for love nor money.

Last edited by barrystar on Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:13 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : name)

barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:52 pm

barrystar wrote:If Federer beats Bemelans then he faces Kohlschreiber, against whom he has a 12-0 record, but not without one very tight match.  No schedule for Wednesday yet...

That’s good news.
I was worried a bit about Kachanov. Looks like it was a close match.
I am trying to remember what Belemans looks like, I think he played DC final in doubles and choked serving for the third set...which cost Belgium the title, so yes, it shouldn't be too much of a problem for Fed.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:18 pm

Stan looks awful.

bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:14 pm

Oooer, so Stan loses to Griekspoor in 3 sets, meaning that the prospective path to #1 is:

(1) Bemelmans
(2) Kholschreiber
(3) Grikespoor, Haase or de Bakker

it's all doable, but in bo3 on a fast surface you can lose very quickly if you allow your mind to wander ahead.

barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:17 pm

I love the way us fans handle these things. We can find pessimism anywhere.

I’m trying to imagine how I’d feel if Nadal needed those three to take the ranking. I’d be calling foul for ATP inspired cupcake draws.....

But you’re right. He needs to focus.

bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:14 pm

bogbrush wrote:I love the way us fans handle these things. We can find pessimism anywhere.

I’m trying to imagine how I’d feel if Nadal needed those three to take the ranking. I’d be calling foul for ATP inspired cupcake draws.....

But you’re right. He needs to focus.

Yup - says it all.

barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:37 pm

Few weeks ago, all in panic for Fed's AO matches, will it be QF, SF, F or title.

Now all over again over this tournament, QF, SF, Number #1...

Why do we self-induce this stress, and will it be same feelings for every tournament from now on that Fed plays?

I don't know, but seems every tournament he plays now, might be the last time we see him playing that tournament, not getting easy, hopes and feelings are he can win everything now, just needs to show up and give us stress Big Grin

Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:13 pm

This is such a big thing, to become #1 at closing in on 37. Crazy. I still think if he missed it now it might never happen what with IW & Miami to defend and probably no clay appearances, so these are big matches.

bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:40 am

Three days to #1, hopefully. Surely, Fed will not lose to Grikespoor?

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:55 am

No sb, he will not lose, have a good sleep  Big Grin

Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by raiders_of_the_lost_ark Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:20 am

summerblues wrote:Three days to #1, hopefully.  Surely, Fed will not lose to Grikespoor?
Stan took a set off him. Fed can take 2 I'm sure.

raiders_of_the_lost_ark

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:46 am

summerblues wrote:Three days to #1, hopefully.  Surely, Fed will not lose to Grikespoor?
Three days are kind of bearable, but three nights!!!

I had this dream last night:

Fed is playing a match, he wins....it doesn’t look like it was a big match or anything, indoor.

He waves to all four sides of the crowd, as usual after the handshake, then stops in the middle of the court and says: (in the dream everyone can hear him, like he has a microphone but he doesn’t):

Bye guys, thank you for coming... ADIOS!

Totally out of the blue so nobody registers, as if it comes out of him unplanned.

And seeing noone has heard him he repeats the word...and the word then hits him as the crowd becomes silent.

And then...oh maaaaan....

He starts to cry. In the dream all I see his his face and a million expressions it changes in a few seconds before a total deluge of tears.

Silent sobbing, tears streaming and dropping one after the other...heavy...his face is like we’ve never seen it before...and in the dream I can feel all that emotion.

But in the dream, he is not quitting sport, just saying goodbye to that crowd, basically telling them he won’t be playing im front of them any more, and it’s in Basel this year, and I am kind of surprised as in the dream I have the knowledge he has been playing and flying  so well with no signs of any injury...

So there you go...

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:16 am

Match of the day:

Rublev-Pouille!

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:43 am

Does anyone remember this clip?

March 2016, feels like eons ago...It really looked like a mission impossible back then.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next