GOAT  Kyrgios  shapovalov  draw  study  open  predict  edberg  davis  

Latest topics
» Roland Garros 2018 + The Draw
Today at 2:55 am by summerblues

» Novak Djokovic In One Word
Yesterday at 10:54 am by gallery play

» Is Nadal Gay?
Mon May 21, 2018 8:42 pm by Jahu

» Will Nadal lose a set on clay this year?
Sun May 20, 2018 10:27 pm by naxroy

» ATP Masters 1000: Rome
Sun May 20, 2018 8:09 pm by noleisthebest

» This Is What A Feminist Looks Like
Sun May 20, 2018 6:42 pm by DECIMA

» The doping program joke of the ITF!!!
Fri May 18, 2018 4:45 pm by Tenez

» Andy Murray's comeback.....
Fri May 18, 2018 2:53 pm by noleisthebest

» Players describe Andy Murray in one word
Fri May 18, 2018 10:25 am by Tenez

May 2018
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

Slam chase

Go down

Slam chase

Post by summerblues on Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:54 am

Updating my chart with slam total for the big 4 by age.  Looking at it like this, Fed's 20 does not look safe at all.  That slamless stretch from 2012 to 2017 can cost him.  A lot will depend on whether or not Rafa can attain similar longevity or whether he fades much younger than Fed.

summerblues

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Slam chase

Post by Daniel on Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:42 am

That chart is meaningless because we are in uncharted territory with Federer.  What he's doing hasn't been done before in the Open Era.  Expecting Nadal, a guy with that style of play, to replicate it is very unlikely.  Even now, Federer is outplaying him. And the younger generation WILL eventually start to come into their own.  Djokovic never had a prayer, so not sure why he's even on there.

Additionally, there isn't a big 4.

Daniel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush on Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:12 am

I wouldn’t be so dismissive, last year Nadal won RG at an absolute canter so he must be red hot favourite to get to 17 by the Summer.

After that it’s Wimbledon & US, the latter slower than ever.

What’s needed is for Federer to notch #9 and Nadal to finally get some nasty draws. Let’s see Cilic, Shapovalov, Djokovic if returning, etc in his half for once.

I’m certainly keen that Federer maintains his career until Nadal packs it in, the thought of the Slam record falling to him is hideous.

bogbrush

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel on Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:14 am

I didn't dismiss it.  I said it is very unlikely.

Even if Nadal did it, it would be hollow.  Federer would lead by far in 3 of the 4 slams. That does not make you the better player.

Daniel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest on Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:44 am

The big question is can anyone stop Nadal in RG?

It’s early to talk about it, but that’s got to be the key to the “race”

noleisthebest

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush on Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:06 am

I agree Daniel but you know how the media would play it and numbers is numbers.

Federer must press on. Hell, Tenez will be calling for him to go to Roland Garros this year but I cannot see it, he won’t tamper with a winning system now.

bogbrush

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar on Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:28 am

The best way to get egg on your face in men’s tennis is to underestimate Nadal. It’s doable, but a gap of 4 in 2018 is that much bigger than it was in 2017 with a year less to fill it. Breaking all my rules, I think he’s probably just missed his chance, but if he scoops another double this year I’ll start sweating all over again. I’d dearly like Fed to pick up one more...

barrystar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by gallery play on Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:28 am

noleisthebest wrote:The big question is can anyone stop Nadal in RG?

It’s early to talk about it, but that’s got to be the key to the “race”
That's the problem, that bloody RG is keeping him in the race. 

However, Fed can relax now, it's Nadal who needs to react.

gallery play

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez on Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:39 am

Now that he is on W8.....I really think no other slam will be as good as FO....beating Nadal on the way.

Can anyone think of a better slam to finish Fed's career? So yes of course I would like Fed to rest and stay fresh for that very one.

Then Wimby 09 could be attempted...but should he win FO18 who'd care about the rest! and yes....he'd be guaranteed of number 1.

I am quite sure Fed would beat nadal on clay....in the early rounds....not so much at the end of a slam though...especially after what I saw yesterday, But worth trying in my view.

Tenez

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez on Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:41 am

Will he attempt it (FO)  though? Most likely not. A real shame.

Tenez

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush on Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:46 am

Tenez, I think that is exactly the sort of overreach which could bring the house crashing down. A rough clay effort, sabotaging grass and maybe aggravating the knees, would be terrible.

I hear he's planning to do Foundation work in April so it seems he's going to resist the temptation.

bogbrush

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez on Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:23 am

There is nothing to sabotage from here. He can only win. And I don't think the knee is an issue now.

Anyway, that will be my regret in Fed's career...and frankly his stain in an otherwise immaculate career.

Tenez

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar on Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:25 am

@bb I like the dry use of the word 'temptation'. He's got his RG win & career slam; he has said that the transition to clay is tough for his body, especially that vulnerable knee, he says 'schedule' every other word, and he knows he can carry on winning on his best surfaces.  

I cannot possibly see the point of risking something he loves so much for a speculative venture on what is by some distance his weakest surface.  It's not just Nadal.  A fit Stan has the beating of him on clay, probably Thiem too.  He has not played on clay for 2 years.  He'd need to play at least two warm-up tournaments.  Analysis suggests that he wins these days by keeping points short (http://www.atpworldtour.com/en/news/australian-open-2018-federer-brain-game) - where is the scope for doing that on clay?

I'd hazard a guess that he's not going to play on the clay, and that whether or not to play at Dubai is more of a difficult one for him right now (I think he'd be silly not to both because of the #1 chance and because it offers an opportunity to shake off rust - just like it did last year, and Stuttgart also on the grass).

barrystar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum