Our Tennis Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» I Just Can't Help Believing!
david goffin - David Goffin EmptySat Mar 23, 2024 9:00 pm by noleisthebest

» The Bullshit of Rafael Nadal
david goffin - David Goffin EmptyMon Feb 12, 2024 12:15 am by Daniel2

» Why Trump's 'tough' stance on radical Islam... could lead to more terrorism
david goffin - David Goffin EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:32 am by Daniel2

» Missing Madeline 10 years on..
david goffin - David Goffin EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:31 am by Daniel2

» '15 Dubious Weak Era Records'
david goffin - David Goffin EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:06 am by Daniel2

» AO 2024 - Sinner baby!!
david goffin - David Goffin EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 4:05 am by Daniel2

» Paris Masters
david goffin - David Goffin EmptyMon Nov 06, 2023 9:47 pm by noleisthebest

» Alvarez could bring me back to tennis
david goffin - David Goffin EmptyWed Sep 20, 2023 10:25 am by raiders_of_the_lost_ark

» IDEMOOOOOOO! ! ! !
david goffin - David Goffin EmptyMon Sep 11, 2023 9:47 am by noleisthebest

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

David Goffin

+2
Tenez
luvsports!
6 posters

Go down

david goffin - David Goffin Empty David Goffin

Post by luvsports! Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:58 pm

Looks as if Goffin is carrying on with that rich vein of form he had in late 2017. Making the basher look clueless. 
How well can he do in 2018?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQTO6mglz14

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

david goffin - David Goffin Empty Re: David Goffin

Post by Tenez Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:22 pm

The basher? Retriever rather.

My hope is that Zverev will end up having the same success a Coric!

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by luvsports! Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:24 pm

He does bash it. He can be brainless at times, whacking away.

And Goffin?

luvsports!

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:28 pm

I had a similar thought when I saw the score today!
I even wanted to start a thread: Can Goffin win a slam in 2018?
And then I remembered how he probably wouldn’t be able to beat Federer in a potential slam final...and then I remembered how he did beat him in WTF, and then how wasn’t it a shame he got injured in Wimbledon unluckily by tripping into tarpaulin (or was it RG?), and isn’t he an unlucky kind of player...and then I answered the question - yeeees, even his face is always miserable and sad....and that’s where my Goffin thoughts (thoughts!!!) faded...

So, yes, who knows! Big Grin

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:35 pm

luvsports! wrote:He does bash it. He can be brainless at times, whacking away.

And Goffin?

What? he is a pusher! Sure he can bash it...but they all can! That's not his game though.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:35 pm

Good to see Fed's shots are still going strong just look at that set point in that first set!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aPcY9zZx6M

His mouvement is not that great though.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:38 pm

I just saw the beginning of the clip (sorry I could onky take 2 points).
Good to see Zverev had a haircut, he looked like a girl before.

His tennis reminded me of Nole’s, except he is not as light on his feet.

That first serve was great, though.

He could be a much better player if he had guts....

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:41 pm

Tenez wrote:Good to see Fed's shots are still going strong just look at that set point in that first set!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aPcY9zZx6M

His mouvement is not that great though.
I saw that.
Sugita is a tough little cookie, saw him vs Shapo or was it Rubi earlier this year.

Anyway, if you want to have a feast watch the clip of mixed doubles vs Japan.

Federer’s volleying is sublime.

Tjere is something about him and Australia....maybe the closest continent he can feel his African genes “loose”.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:58 pm

yes...his reflexes at the net are unequalled....maybe Paes in his hey days.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:20 pm

Here it is:

His footwork is perfection!

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by raiders_of_the_lost_ark Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:38 am

And Goffin?

Goffin lacks the skill on a lot of shots. I see some others can make a better shot on a given ball than he does. He relies on players poor play to be worse than his own and then he can perhaps win. 

I think he plays with the least amount of spin on his shots which causes flooding of UEs. This kind of play can't generate a lot of angles that added spin can. 

For me Goffin has reached his top rankings, maybe 1-2 above at max. He is like a poor man's Soderling.

raiders_of_the_lost_ark

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:22 am

I think Goffin has a good chance to shine in 2018.

His beautiful clean ballstriking has always been there, but so has his wobbly head...

However!

After his appearance in WTF where he beat Nadal and Federer and especially his two wins/demolitions of Tsonga and Pouille in Davis cup, his confidence has gone up considerably and that may be the piece of puzzle he has been missing.

So long as he keeps injury free, there is no reason not to expect his best year.

The only question is how high can he reach?

He needs a decent slam breakthrough to start with.

And with AP being potentially slick again, he could make a SF if not the final there.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by raiders_of_the_lost_ark Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:26 am

interesting nitb. So we are with completely different views on Goffin. Will wait to see who is closer to reality.

raiders_of_the_lost_ark

Back to top Go down

Post by raiders_of_the_lost_ark Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:28 am

Federer is playing Karen Kachnov nowin Perth Hopman

raiders_of_the_lost_ark

Back to top Go down

Post by raiders_of_the_lost_ark Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:29 am

raiders_of_the_lost_ark

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:33 am

It isn’t but thanks for thr “alert” rotla.
Bad old bet365 is showing it, too. Big Grin

My first live match in 2018, diva

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:53 am

Kachanov - so much power so little guile.

Federer quickly diagnoses Kachanov’s love for bashing and bamboozles him with speed & pulling his trigger at will with ease and style.

Aaaaahhhh.....

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:25 am

Tennis year starting in Oz is perfect, esp after the long Christmas week of eating, chilling and not being able to do much with the weather...

First thing that hits me from Oz is their horrible accent. Laugh

Fortunately, the two commentators today are coming with decent stuff, and even some of the new coined phrases in a trademark organically australian style, eg: 

He hit “a cold winner”

He is a “big uniit” (Kachanov)

Hopman cup is a perfect prep tournament esp for Federer - all fun,  no pressure.

Would be good to see a Goffin -Federer match.
(that’s me trying to stay on the topic of the thread. Winking )

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:39 am

With these tall young players, DBH has really turned into a proper second FH on some shots.

One of those, a curled bullet bh return on an angle earns him a “he’s a dangerous unit” compliment from ozzy commentators.

Fed looking a bit tired atm.

Or maybe bored.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:44 am

Am I the only person who sees feint parallels between Goffin and Henman - both players with a particular skill set at which they excel, but under-powered in the modern game and who don't seem to have the match on their own racquet as often as they ought to - usually beaten by someone you'd expect to beat them (even if they put up a good fight), and often making heavy weather of overcoming those that rankings or current form suggests they ought to swat away.

I think that Goffin adds enjoyment to the tour, but I for one am not expecting great things for him.  I think that the 'next' guy to step up should be one of Dimitrov, Zverev, Kyrgios, or possibly Shapovalov.  I also think that whoever it is, the 'step up' will not match the consistency of Fed/Nadal/Djoko - and probably not Muzza either.

barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:56 am

Interesting second set.
As soon as Federer pulled out of his fresh 1set flying mode Kachanov took advantage and started to utilise his power.

Very good TB which Fed had to earn.

Don’t know what to make of Kachanov, obviously good potential with all that power but the road ahead of him is looong still.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:26 pm

noleisthebest wrote:Interesting second set.
As soon as Federer pulled out of his fresh 1set flying mode Kachanov took advantage and started to utilise his power.

Don’t know what to make of Kachanov, obviously good potential with all that power but the road ahead of him is looong still.
Oh come on, Federer has a lengthy holiday and plays a set of Hopman tennis and you're saying he's "tired". 

Give me a break, if that's what it takes then he might as well retire right now as he'd be completely incapable of competitive tennis. Fortunately I know this isn't the case.

bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:48 pm

raiders_of_the_lost_ark wrote:

And Goffin?

Goffin lacks the skill on a lot of shots. I see some others can make a better shot on a given ball than he does. He relies on players poor play to be worse than his own and then he can perhaps win. 

I think he plays with the least amount of spin on his shots which causes flooding of UEs. This kind of play can't generate a lot of angles that added spin can. 

For me Goffin has reached his top rankings, maybe 1-2 above at max. He is like a poor man's Soderling.

Really weird how you see Goffin...I think you saw Davydenko in a similar vein as well. And very different from what I see. Goffin does a lot with the ball...considering his frame. He stretched Fed in London like no other could have. Fed was tired certainly but he can manage most players even if tired...Goffin asked more and hurt him like he hurt Nadal and the whole French team.

Bottom line is that he is not waiting for an error a la Zverev.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:12 am

bogbrush wrote:

Oh come on, Federer has a lengthy holiday and plays a set of Hopman tennis and you're saying he's "tired". 

Give me a break, if that's what it takes then he might as well retire right now as he'd be completely incapable of competitive tennis. Fortunately I know this isn't the case.

You can have all the holidays in the world, if you run a mile you will be breathless...more so if you run a mile at competitive level at 37.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:20 am

barrystar wrote:
I think that Goffin adds enjoyment to the tour, but I for one am not expecting great things for him.  I think that the 'next' guy to step up should be one of Dimitrov, Zverev, Kyrgios, or possibly Shapovalov.  I also think that whoever it is, the 'step up' will not match the consistency of Fed/Nadal/Djoko - and probably not Muzza either.

I think Goffin is likely to achieve more than Dimi. Zverev is certainly a lot more promising but I am not sure his retrieving game will take him to the next level....that more aggressive players will reach.

Shapo is certainly the hot favourite to distinguish himself from the rest.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:39 pm

Tenez wrote:
bogbrush wrote:

You can have all the holidays in the world, if you run a mile you will be breathless...more so if you run a mile at competitive level at 37.
Sure, but this bollocks about being tired after a set relatively to competition has to stop; either it's complete rubbish or Federer should retire through incapacity. I choose the former.

bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:10 pm

bogbrush wrote:
Tenez wrote:
bogbrush wrote:

Sure, but this bollocks about being tired after a set relatively to competition has to stop; either it's complete rubbish or Federer should retire through incapacity. I choose the former.

why being so extreme? Why has it got to be black or white? fed lost in London because he was tired...in spite of playing every other day and having a full week of rest before London. getting tired is normal, especially at his age. It does not mean he will retire. He can/could still go through 7 x 3setters like he did at Wimbledon last year.

It is very clear now that most of all those losses v Djoko came from Fed being tired. That was 3 and 2 years ago....now he is going to be even more fragile. There is no reason to say he does not tire or he should retire.

he knows more than anybody that he has to save energy, hence his more aggressive shots and frequent volleying.

BTW, has anybody noticed how he tried to hit his BH harder v Khashanov?

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:11 pm

Because we’re not discussing 5 setters or Slams, we’re talking about a set of Hopman Cup tennis. It ridiculous.

And it’s not only 7 straight setters he can still do; he won a Slam last year that included three full five-setters.

bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:40 am

bogbrush wrote:
And it’s not only 7 straight setters he can still do; he won a Slam last year that included three full five-setters.
That was last year, 6 months rest, ..and it included a 2 day rest before the final. I sincerely doubt he would have won with just a day rest.

You just need a couple of long rallies to feel tired, it's nothing to do with 5 setters. Nadal does not only take extra times between points in the 5th set. He takes that extra time in the first games as well.

They all can play 8 hours if it is needed as long as they take 2 mins rest every other game. The challenge is in the length of the rallies! Nadal and Djoko could kill each others in a couple of sets.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:46 am

And famously, Djoko kept the ball in court as much as possible at the beginning of a TB, knowing that in a long game, this is where he could hurt nadal most.

Look how one single gruelling point can change the course of a match.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:11 am

Yes...but Benneteau had many chances to finish that point, starting with the lame overhead after Djoko’s return...followed by many tame FHs into Djoko’s striking zone who played equally “smart”and gutless.

It’s no coincidence Benne lost all of his 10 finals.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:16 am

I caught a few last games of Federer-Sock.

Many UEs from Federer, mind you, Sock was hitting the ball very hard.

And there was a fantastic break point a5 5:5 for Fed.

He is def healthy, wasn't sparing himself at all.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:40 am

noleisthebest wrote:Yes...but Benneteau had many chances to finish that point, starting with the lame overhead after Djoko’s return...followed by many tame FHs into Djoko’s striking zone who played equally “smart”and gutless.

Where is Djoko in that clip?

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:42 am

We will have a better idea of Fed's form when he plays Goffin.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:51 am

Tenez wrote:
noleisthebest wrote:Yes...but Benneteau had many chances to finish that point, starting with the lame overhead after Djoko’s return...followed by many tame FHs into Djoko’s striking zone who played equally “smart”and gutless.

Where is Djoko in that clip?

Here:

Tenez wrote:And famously, Djoko kept the ball in court as much as possible at the beginning of a TB, knowing that in a long game, this is where he could hurt nadal most.

Look how one single gruelling point can change the course of a match.

Mind you, now I see it was not Benne either, but Nadal...

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:55 am

yeah I meant Murray.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:58 pm

Tenez wrote:yeah I meant Murray.
What about Nadal?

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by raiders_of_the_lost_ark Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:57 am

Goffin lost in the 2nd rnd to Benneteau in 4 sets with 2 TB sets.

raiders_of_the_lost_ark

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:12 am

Yes, surprising. Saw some of it and Ben played well but the heat really affected Goffin who simply lost his edge.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:15 pm

Tenez wrote:Yes, surprising. Saw some of it and Ben played well but the heat really affected Goffin who simply lost his edge.
I think rotla popped in just to brag he was right and I was wrong, Winking

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by raiders_of_the_lost_ark Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:58 am

noleisthebest wrote:
Tenez wrote:Yes, surprising. Saw some of it and Ben played well but the heat really affected Goffin who simply lost his edge.
I think rotla popped in just to brag he was right and I was wrong, Winking

Not brag.. I didn't mean to. My view on Goffin is he is NOT as special or skilled as you/Tenez put him to be. I see that his range of  shots is less for a given ball. So doesn't make some of the shots which others can. Low spin added pace but compromised on accuracy and angles. He struggles on making the balls in from higher part of the net..

I'm not even counting the mental strength in crunch situations. Pure tennis skills. and he is lacking atm to be ranked higher than he currently is.

raiders_of_the_lost_ark

Back to top Go down

Post by raiders_of_the_lost_ark Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:45 am

Goffin loses in 3 sets to Ebden at wimbledon 18. 3 slams done, about 60% of tennis for the 2018 done. When is he going to wake up?

The injury ' excuse' is available, yes its cheap. but I don't see injury as a luck thing. Illness yes, but not sporting injuries. 

Players often suffer injuries due to the kind of game they play while not having the right body for it. Poor tournament selection , bad scheduling and pushing their bodies in a direction it can't go.

raiders_of_the_lost_ark

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:52 am

In Goffin's case it is bad luck. He has one of the most energy friendly game.

One of the best way to keep fit is to take steroids and increase your muscle mass. Muscles are bumpers for joints and ligaments.

David is just unlucky.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down